X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Something to think about

The Bills did what they did on Sunday and their big names on D didn't really do anything.

I didn't watch the game, how did Dareus look? I'm going to guess that they (the Bills) decided not to show too much after they got to a big lead?
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Something to think about

Dareus did his job and was a major space eater
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Overall, the D did a great job, despite Merriman being very quiet.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

The Bills began substituting before the 3rd QTR was over. By the time the 4th QTR started, the back ups were playing on both offense & defense.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          Legendary Zoner
          • May 2009

Go Bills

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
            • Nov 2009

The big names on defense didn't do anything??

Ok, Merriman might not have had 5 sacks, but I guarantee that KC knew where he was the entire game.

There are a lot of way to contribute that you don't see in a box score or on the back of a football card.

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

The little I saw of Merriman (and from what I've heard from people on here), he mostly just sat back and contained the edge. He did pass rush a couple times, once was contained by the OT, second time was contained by a double team.

Dareus, while not putting up stats, was big. He was an anchor in the middle - Chiefs had little to no room to run up the middle outside of a couple of draw plays. He also provided a hand in Cassel's face, did a good job of moving up the pocket (not letting Cassel step up). On the first sack, Kelsay forced Cassel to step up, Dareus forced him to keep going and then he was sacked by a couple other guys.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Crisis
                • Aug 2004

Dareus played about as well you can realistically expect from a rookie DL. He's gonna be a stud.
                Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                Vanek is Austrian not European
                Originally posted by Prov401
                Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                Originally posted by better days
                I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Buddo
                  • Mar 2007

The Bills front 3 or 4, were creating enough pressure, not to have to do anything really exotic.
                  Merriman got a stinger to his shoulder, but came back.
                  Mostly they concentrated on holding their gaps, and did that exceptionally well for the most part.
                  Whilst I was only watching an internet feed, so unless the TV specifically picked out someone's play it was hard to notice who was up to what, the impression I got was that Fitz looked like he had enough time generally (with the odd hiccup), whereas Cassell looked like he was running out of time, all the time.
                  Fitz often had a pocket to step into if he wanted it, but Cassell didn't appear to, hardly at all.
                  I'm getting the feeling, that with Dareus and Williams together, teams aren't able to afford to try and simply put a 'hat on a hat', as one or the other will punish them for it - and I also think that Edwards needs to be looked after by a lineman - I don't think anyone else stops him one on one.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Dareus and Williams completely dominated the line of scrimmage and blew up the interior of KC's line.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                      • Aug 2004

The interesting fact that got lost in all of this is that the Bills were in nickel package from the get go with Bryan Scott replacing Andra Davis. They ran the nickel almost the entire game.

That tells me that they believe no one can run through the middle. Kelsay and Merriman man the outside lanes and the safeties came up doing the tackle work. That's why you heard Byrd, Scott, Wilson mentioned so much.

I don't know if they are going to do the same to the Raiders. I did not watch the Raiders game so I don't know their passing game. For KC, that base defense provided the ideal run stoppage for a perimeter runner like Charles and best coverage for screens, draws, and short passing games to TEs/RBs. The key though, is that we can't let them break through the middle where a leading center and a FB will do a lot of damage. From the result, Dareus, Williams did the job.
                      Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 09-13-2011, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• BloFan4Life
                        • Dec 2009

When I looked at the stats I thought they screwed up. Can you believe Kyle Williams didn't have ONE tackle that whole game. Pretty unbelievable to think that we had that type of performance without Dareus, Williams or Merriman being on top of their game.

Comment

• Mad Max
                          Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by BloFan4Life
                          When I looked at the stats I thought they screwed up. Can you believe Kyle Williams didn't have ONE tackle that whole game. Pretty unbelievable to think that we had that type of performance without Dareus, Williams or Merriman being on top of their game.
                          DLmen without a lot of tackles isn't uncommon at all. Even 0 isn't uncommon.

DL provide the pressure, Linebackers make the tackles.

Williams and Dareus had very good games. Wreaked havoc on the interior of KC's OL, creating opportunities for others to make the actual tackles.
                          Last edited by Mad Max; 09-13-2011, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
                            The big names on defense didn't do anything??

Ok, Merriman might not have had 5 sacks, but I guarantee that KC knew where he was the entire game.

There are a lot of way to contribute that you don't see in a box score or on the back of a football card.
                            Did you miss the part where I said I didn't get to watch the game?

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

The Bills did nothing exotic AT ALL all game. They likely won't need to do anything exotic against the Raiders. Which means the Pats won't know what's going to hit them.

Comment

Working...
                              X