PDA

View Full Version : CB Corner to 53 man roster, LB Eddins to IR

BLeonard
09-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Just got the V-Text...

Bills signed Reggie Corner to the 53 man roster and put LB Robert Eddins on IR.

-Bill

psubills62
09-14-2011, 08:43 AM
The positive thing about making those cuts at LB (Coleman), WR (Aiken, Martin, Roosevelt), and CB (Corner) means we have guys who are familiar with the system, practiced with the team all through the offseason, and are generally available for pickup if we need them due to depth concerns.

RoscoeMagic
09-14-2011, 08:44 AM
The human oxymoron is back. Really, there's no one better? I find that shocking.

RoscoeMagic
09-14-2011, 08:51 AM
The positive thing about making those cuts at LB (Coleman), WR (Aiken, Martin, Roosevelt), and CB (Corner) means we have guys who are familiar with the system, practiced with the team all through the offseason, and are generally available for pickup if we need them due to depth concerns.

Maybe I'm being naive, but does a CB really need to "know" the system? I mean, if the guy can cover, the guy can cover. If he can't, then he can't. If we picked up a guy like Revis today, he'd be in the starting lineup Sunday. There'd be no learning curve for him, he'd just have to go out and cover the WR.

I like guys knowing the system on the FA wire, but really that just means they're not good enough to get picked up by another team.

I don't know. Do corners really need to know the system? I would have preferred a guy with no knowledge, but a heck of a better football player than Reggie Corner.

trapezeus
09-14-2011, 08:55 AM
corner is decent in nickel coverage. he struggles one on one. hopefully they just want him to be an extra CB and not a starting CB with one on one coverage with no help.

Mad Max
09-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Maybe I'm being naive, but does a CB really need to "know" the system? I mean, if the guy can cover, the guy can cover. If he can't, then he can't. If we picked up a guy like Revis today, he'd be in the starting lineup Sunday. There'd be no learning curve for him, he'd just have to go out and cover the WR.

I like guys knowing the system on the FA wire, but really that just means they're not good enough to get picked up by another team.

I don't know. Do corners really need to know the system? I would have preferred a guy with no knowledge, but a heck of a better football player than Reggie Corner.
At least we're not cutting Corners anymore! :whistle:

mayotm
09-14-2011, 08:56 AM
I have no problem with this. Tough to find somebody much better at this point.

psubills62
09-14-2011, 09:00 AM

Of course they need to know the system. Haven't you heard of things like "blown coverage"? Cornerbacks need to know what their responsibilities are, especially when a team runs zone coverage or use them to blitz.

I think that's an odd example - no way we're going to "pick up" a guy like Revis. Just curious - who do you think is out there that is better than Corner? I'm not saying there isn't anyone, but I don't think the talent level is that far above what Corner can bring to the table.

alohabillsfan
09-14-2011, 09:01 AM

I think you are way off base with this one. Yes the CB needs to know the system. He needs to know what technique to use depending on what help he has. Also being familiar with LB's and safeties is a plus. Its the right move.

And yes You could plug Revis in and go man to man on their top but he is not available.

RoscoeMagic
09-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Of course they need to know the system. Haven't you heard of things like "blown coverage"? Cornerbacks need to know what their responsibilities are, especially when a team runs zone coverage or use them to blitz.

I think that's an odd example - no way we're going to "pick up" a guy like Revis. Just curious - who do you think is out there that is better than Corner? I'm not saying there isn't anyone, but I don't think the talent level is that far above what Corner can bring to the table.

As far as them knowing the system, it was more of a question than an assertion. I wasn't really sure.

And I don't know who's better than him that's available. All I know is I've been watching Corner get beat for a while now. He certainly has had his moments of nice plays, but on the whole I think he's small, slow and inconsistent. Little upside here as well. Just not sure I trust him against NE.

Or maybe I'm being too harsh on him. We'll see.

psubills62
09-14-2011, 09:37 AM
As far as them knowing the system, it was more of a question than an assertion. I wasn't really sure.

And I don't know who's better than him that's available. All I know is I've been watching Corner get beat for a while now. He certainly has had his moments of nice plays, but on the whole I think he's small, slow and inconsistent. Little upside here as well. Just not sure I trust him against NE.

Or maybe I'm being too harsh on him. We'll see.
There might be guys who have more potential than Corner, but I think right now he's the best out there that has the ability to plug in and play very quickly.

He wasn't very good in preseason, though I know several people were impressed with him during TC practices. He just seems to be depth right now - no way did they want to go into a game with only 4 CB's.

justasportsfan
09-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Maybe I'm being naive, but does a CB really need to "know" the system?

If they are probowl calibre cb's they may not have to. But there isn't one available so it would be advantageuos to any mediocre cb to be familiar with the system and his teammates.

Jan Reimers
09-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Now that we have a glut of "Corners" (Reggie back, McGee still on the active roster, Florence, McKelvin, Williams and Rogers, plus Wheatley and Miller on the PS), I'd like to see Coleman brought back. But that would probably depend, at least in part, on whether McGee gets better fairly soon, or has to be IR'd.

psubills62
09-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Now that we have a glut of "Corners" (Reggie back, McGee still on the active roster, Florence, McKelvin, Williams and Rogers, plus Wheatley and Miller on the PS), I'd like to see Coleman brought back. But that would probably depend, at least in part, on whether McGee gets better fairly soon, or has to be IR'd.
True. They started out with a bunch of LB's...now that Eddins is IR'ed, if they suffer another injury or two, I'd have to expect to see Coleman back.

k-oneputt
09-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I was surprised they cut corner and didn't keep six cb's in the first place.

Mahdi
09-14-2011, 10:56 AM
What's with our young LBs always getting injured in their first year?

Poz
Eddins
Moats
Batten
Shep

there's more I can't remember...