PDA

View Full Version : Can Over a Decade of Futility Be Erased by 'The No Names'?

BillsWin
09-15-2011, 09:53 AM
The Buffalo Bills' unheralded signal caller, Ryan Fitzpatrick, sat on a live feed in front of a duo of Showtime's Inside the NFL hosts last night and jokingly discussed his Harvard pedigree and the fact that his cranium is roughly the size and shape of a hefty watermelon.

But perhaps the most interesting comment by the quarterback, lovingly called 'The Amish Rifle' by fans and teammates, was made when Fitzpatrick discussed his team. He had a nickname of his own. He announced that the 2011 Buffalo Bills refer to themselves as, 'The No Names'.

It is hard to argue with Fitzpatrick on this point, as the Bills franchise has become a collection of misfits, unknowns, late round talents and largely overlooked players. Fitzpatrick himself, despite recording the league's best passer rating of opening week, still has his name misspelled on nfl.com. Ryan Fitzgerald, quarterback of the Buffalo Bills, does not exist.

As I sit here pondering the future of the Buffalo Bills I ask myself, "Could a team of no names, a team that lacks the high-profile players of the NFL powerhouse, a team of many who play with a rather large chip on their shoulders, make a season one to remember?"

The answer, is it is way too soon to tell. But that does not stop a nation, a Bills nation from dreaming of the improbable.

We all remember the year in which the Bills, an upstart underdog, sprinted to a 5-1 start. We all remember the loud optimism that rang like a triumphant gong amongst the Bills faithful. And we all remember the crushing blow delivered by the shoddy coaching and vastly overpowered play in the second half of the year.

The problem with comparing the two seasons is this; they feel different.

It is not wise to take a one week sample and create hope. Not when we, as a fanbase have faced so much heartbreak, in its most humiliating and defeating forms.

But when you look at the way the team played, as a team, against the (albeit disappointing) Chiefs in week one, something seems different.

The QB was efficient and decisive, not merely effective. The defense was strong and unyeilding, not merely 'good enough'.

When the Bills needed a stop, they made a stop. When they needed to convert on third down, they converted on third down. They played as a team and WON as a team.

Talent, power ranking, hype aside, this team went to battle and fought for respect. Will that carry into a magical season? I don't know.

But I will be damned if I don't sit on the edge of my seat for opening kickoff this Sunday, and I will be damned if I don't count down the days, hours, minutes until this team, these "No Names" take the field again.

Because if there is one thing this Bills team proved on Sunday... Its not that they've 'arrived', its not that they are headed to the playoffs, its not that they can beat anyone... Its that they will play hard and they will fight to win and they will play with a chip on their shoulder and they are a different team.

So, I sit here and ask myself again... "Can a team of no names make a season one to remember?"

The answer is my friends, yes. They can. Will they? We'll find out Sunday and every Sunday they take the field this season.

But one thing is for certain, "The No Names" have won me over and despite my uncertainty in the number of wins they can produce, I cannot wait to watch them play again.

Raiders, you better be ready for the 12th man, and you BETTER be ready for this team.

Oakland, we're coming for you...

-BillsWin

ServoBillieves
09-15-2011, 10:02 AM
I hate that "Bills nation" thing. Growing up in Pittsburgh, if I heard one more person call the Steelers "Steelers Nation" I would have called a tactical nuke on my own house.

Aside from that, good post BW

Beebe's Kid
09-15-2011, 10:23 AM
I agree with Servo...we are the 12th man. The one, the only. Every team is a "nation" after it worked for the Red Sox. I am a Red Sox fan, and I can't stand the "nation" of pink hats.

There are many Bills fans that will be at the Ralph on Sunday, who aren't as knowledgeable about the team as the posters in this forum. That is a given in any stadium. I will say that there are probably going to be more fans there that know Reginald V. Corner III has returned to the roster than would be found in another stadium. Most teams fans wouldn't know about a thing like that.

I didn't have to explain to any of my buddies who Scott Chandler was last weekend...because I've been yelling about him to them all off-season. None of them need to be told how good it was to see Spencer Johnson finally make a big play after years of making a relatively large pay check for no production.

There are a lot of dejected fans, and we all handle it in our own way. I prefer the eternal optimism, while there are certainly those that do not. The truth is, if you are a fan of this team, you've been put through some tough times. Many people in my area (Erie, PA) have bailed long ago, and now wear yellow and black on Sunday. Good for them. They get to cheer, and brag, and waive their towels, and complain about officiating that goes their way more often than not....but they will never have the true satisfaction of seeing this team turn that corner, and be a part of the best fan base in the NFL.

It would be nice to not hear the snarky **** spewing from the mouths of the fans after every incompletion, or opponent's first down, and I think we are heading that way. You could see how the Chiefs fans reacted to them on Sunday, and that was a disgrace.

This team is going to play hard, and leave their heart on the field. I'll leave mine in the stands cheering them on and supporting them.

For the first time in a long time, it is fun to be a Bills fan.

justasportsfan
09-15-2011, 10:59 AM
There are many Bills fans that will be at the Ralph on Sunday, who aren't as knowledgeable about the team as the posters in this forum.

they would still be more knowlegeable than the smartest raider fan.

better days
09-15-2011, 12:32 PM
I just listened to a Raider podcast. They said before the season started, they had the Bills game rated as the Raiders easiest win.

After Sundays game against the Chiefs in ARROWHEAD Stadium, a place they are very familiar with, they now think the Bills game will be a tough test & think it could go either way.

They compared the Bills to the Broncos & said the Bills had BETTER players at every skill position. Fitz>Orton, Stevie>Lloyd, Spiller>Moreno was their thinking. They also mentioned the game will be played in Buffalo & the Bills 12th man.

ServoBillieves
09-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Funny enough, I just picked up my fiancees dog from the groomers (laugh all you want) and the guy there saw my Bills hat and smirked. Living in Carolina I kind of raised an eyebrow and he said "thanks for last weekend and this one."

Not knowing he was talking about my hat, he said "the Chiefs, the AFC West, I'm a Raiders fan."

I gave a big smile back at him and said 'you're welcome' but then said "wait, why for this weekend?"

He said "Easy win, we're going to be 2-0 to start the season! I hate the Chiefs, and even though I'm indifferent to the Bills, they played a close game last weekend like we did, I think black and silver have the upper hand!"

... So yeah, Raiders fans are inept, whereas I truly believe that Bills fans for the most part know their stuff. We talked a bit more, and he did have knowledge of the game and players, but to say we played a close game? That's... wow that's just hilarious. They may go 2-0, we may lose the game, but if he's basing it off of week 1, he's got another thing coming.

PromoTheRobot
09-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Everyone starts out as a no-name.

PTR

better days
09-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Everyone starts out as a no-name.

PTR

Not really. Everyone knew Cams name when he was drafted. In fact I don't even have to mention his last name you know who I am talking about.

Both Mannings, Rivers, Ryan, Flacco were all NAME players before starting a game in the NFL.

Fitzpatrick is a 7th year vet & he gets called Fitzgerald. Now that is NO NAME.

TheBrownBear
09-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Because if there is one thing this Bills team proved on Sunday... Its that they will play hard and they will fight to win and they will play with a chip on their shoulder and they are a different team.

-BillsWin

Actually, they proved that to us last year. Basically from the Pittsburgh til the end of the season (minus a couple of hiccups).

Meathead
09-16-2011, 03:24 AM
everyone in meathead nation thinks the bills are for real