PDA

View Full Version : Our GM's sucked, and this proves it

YardRat
09-18-2011, 08:04 AM
It hasn't been 'Ralph is cheap', even though many like to take the quick and easy way out and play that card.

It even hasn't been 'our coaches suck' necessarily, because you have to have talent to work with.

It has been piss-poor drafting, plain and simple...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/inside-the-nfl/article560909.ece

There are only eight former Bills draft choices on other NFL rosters: Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Willis McGahee, Lee Evans, Mario Haggan, Donte Whitner, John Wendling and C.J. Ah You.

And following training camp, the Bills cut four of their draft choices but the rest of the NFL cut 15 former Bills choices: Alvin Bowen, Kyle Calloway, Kennard Cox, Trent Edwards, Chris Ellis, James Hardy, Cary Harris, Ellis Lankster, Aaron Maybin, John McCargo, Sammy Morris, Xavier Omon, Derek Schouman, Coy Wire and Ashton Youboty.

better days
09-18-2011, 08:11 AM
It hasn't been 'Ralph is cheap', even though many like to take the quick and easy way out and play that card.

It even hasn't been 'our coaches suck' necessarily, because you have to have talent to work with.

There are only eight former Bills draft choices on other NFL rosters: Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, Willis McGahee, Lee Evans, Mario Haggan, Donte Whitner, John Wendling and C.J. Ah You.

And following training camp, the Bills cut four of their draft choices but the rest of the NFL cut 15 former Bills choices: Alvin Bowen, Kyle Calloway, Kennard Cox, Trent Edwards, Chris Ellis, James Hardy, Cary Harris, Ellis Lankster, Aaron Maybin, John McCargo, Sammy Morris, Xavier Omon, Derek Schouman, Coy Wire and Ashton Youboty.

Well, except Jauron was also the de facto GM with regards to personal so he sucked as a GM & HC.

ddaryl
09-18-2011, 08:13 AM
been saying that for awhile.. Ralph isn't cheap he just sucks at picking the right FO guys. That is besides Polian and now Nix... he got lucky on Polian, and wisened up when he hired Nix

I believe he even admitted that in his recent interview

Figster
09-18-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm not looking to find flaws yard, but right off the top of my head I don't see Poz on your list of former draft choices.

Throne Logic
09-18-2011, 08:26 AM
I wonder how many Bills' undrafted rookie FA signings are on other rosters. . .

Figster
09-18-2011, 08:28 AM
I wonder how many Bills' undrafted rookie FA signings are on other rosters. . .

A few, and some good ones, Greer and Peters come to mind right off the bat

don137
09-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Jim Leonard is another good undrafted signee.

Figster
09-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Jim Leonard is another good undrafted signee.

hehe, I couldn't remember Jim's last name, thanks

Agree with OP 100%, Bills management, or lack there of (Russ Brandon) has sucked...

thesquirrelking
09-18-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm not looking to find flaws yard, but right off the top of my head I don't see Poz on your list of former draft choices.

I didn't see Marshawn either...

Dozerdog
09-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Let's not go overboard and give too much credit on the scouting department with the UDFA's.

If they were such gems, why did we draft garbage over them?

And partial success for good UDFA's coming here goes to the UDFA's themselves. If you are a Safety who didn't get picked- are you going to a team that might toss an extra 20 grand in signing bonus at you or will you gravitate to a team that gives you the best chance of actually making the roster.

Our futility drove the good UDFA's here. And wouldn't you know it, our futility in the front office has them playing for someone else now.

Figster
09-18-2011, 08:43 AM
I didn't see Marshawn either...

Even the current regimes Spiller pick is somewhat of a troubling pick considering we had Lynch and Jackson in the fold at the time and how about maybin, good lord, Bills don't just waste picks, they waste high picks. (Losman, Edwards, Williams)

YardRat
09-18-2011, 08:46 AM

Good catch...Lynch isn't on there either.

ServoBillieves
09-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Schouman was cut? Bring him in!

Night Train
09-18-2011, 10:23 AM
You can basically trace this to TD taking total control of Draft day during his tenure with his niche/I know better picks and later Wilson/Levy deferring to Jauron on high picks.

I'll always pin the blame on Wilson & these 2, with good reason.

better days
09-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Even the current regimes Spiller pick is somewhat of a troubling pick considering we had Lynch and Jackson in the fold at the time and how about maybin, good lord, Bills don't just waste picks, they waste high picks. (Losman, Edwards, Williams)

I thought it was a curious pick at the time myself, but in retrospect it is clear the plan was to get rid of Lynch.

YardRat
09-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Can't disagree too much, but I'd go back farther to Butler and his free-spending cronyism days.

Night Train
09-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Can't disagree too much, but I'd go back farther to Butler and his free-spending cronyism days.

Agreed. Butler started the ball rolling with his disaster of a 2000 draft, (Flowers,Tillman etc.) knowing he was bolting for SD.

psubills62
09-18-2011, 10:58 AM
If they were such gems, why did we draft garbage over them?
I think the question we need to ask in order to answer that question is: who makes the decisions?

Mike
09-18-2011, 11:23 AM
been saying that for awhile.. Ralph isn't cheap he just sucks at picking the right FO guys. That is besides Polian and now Nix... he got lucky on Polian, and wisened up when he hired Nix

I believe he even admitted that in his recent interview

Good GMs were out there, he just tried going the cheap route. polian was a stroke of luck & most fans hated that pick. At the end of the day, picking right is all about talent evaluation.

YardRat
09-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Good GMs were out there, he just tried going the cheap route. polian was a stroke of luck & most fans hated that pick. At the end of the day, picking right is all about talent evaluation.

Donahoe was the best available at that time, and he wasn't a cheap hire. Nobody *****ed when he was brought on board.