• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Thoughts on the game

There are definitely concerns, particularly on defense. That being said, I'm pumped about this win and I'm not intending to take anyone's excitement away. Just wanted to make some observations.

1) Referees - in general, they were pretty good. Seemed to give us an extra yard or so on that 4th and 1 at the end, but didn't seem to end up mattering. There were times I thought we got bailed out thanks to penalties, but most of the time they seemed legit.

2) DL - did a decent job. There was no pass rush, which greatly concerns me. However, I know I saw a number of our DL being held (which I didn't put in #1 because I don't expect the refs to call it every time). Would have been nice to get some of those calls, but that's part of the game. Run defense was generally stout up the middle for the most part.

3) Run defense - numbers were better than I expected. Total numbers weren't great, but McFadden averaged 3.6 YPC and Bush 4.0 YPC. The run that really broke open was Denarius Moore's 25-yarder.

4) Oakland's play calling - this actually carries over from KC. The Chiefs ran a LOT of misdirection plays. They rarely ran the ball up the middle without adding some twist to it (fake end-around, fake quick pass, etc.), and Oakland did some of that as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see New England follow suit.

5) Offense - I don't know if I've seen a better single-half performance than what this offense did in the second half. That was incredible - 5 drives, 5 TD's. They dominated running the ball and seemed to be able to throw at will. Only time they struggled was when Oakland pinned its ears back and sent guys constantly. There were a few times our OL (mostly on key downs) handled the blitz very well. Other times, Fitz had a hand in his face - but did a good job of getting the ball to his WR's.

6) Offensive Line - did not look good in the first half. I think the only run over 2 yards was the big one by Jackson in the first half. That being said, they were really a huge key to the turnaround in the second half. I went through the specific plays and half of our second half runs (7 out of 14) were for 11 yards or more. One of the 7 running plays that wasn't for 11 yards or more was a 1-yard TD run by Jackson. They were dominant. Only allowing one sack to that DL of the Raiders, especially considering how much we needed to pass.

7) Fitzpatrick - he's had his awful throws - several this game and several last week in fact. However, they seem to be fewer than last year. I've been impressed with his play these last two weeks. I'd have no problem signing him to a reasonable extension.

8) Pass defense - looked awful. Brady will tear us apart, and it's embarrassing to see a rookie 3rd-stringer rough us up for 4 receptions and 122 yards. Moore made some great catches, but I disagree with those who say that long TD reception couldn't have been defended - the safety (can't remember if it was Wilson or Byrd) did not time his jump well to knock it down. I'd like to see some better blitzes in the coming weeks.

9) Wildcat - Smith is looking even better in it. I have little doubt that we'll start breaking out the passes soon, very possibly against New England.

10) Spiller - Kid looked really good running the ball.

11) Coaches - Obviously didn't have a great gameplan coming in, but offensively they made fantastic changes. Defensively...well, I'll save those comments for another time.

This was one of the most fun games I've ever seen. Towards the end, I was talking to my wife and saying "well, normally the Bills would choke right about now, but this year I really don't know." Maybe, just maybe this is a different team with new players who are developing a new psyche.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: Thoughts on the game

Originally posted by psubills62
    There are definitely concerns, particularly on defense. That being said, I'm pumped about this win and I'm not intending to take anyone's excitement away. Just wanted to make some observations.

1) Referees - in general, they were pretty good. Seemed to give us an extra yard or so on that 4th and 1 at the end, but didn't seem to end up mattering. There were times I thought we got bailed out thanks to penalties, but most of the time they seemed legit.

2) DL - did a decent job. There was no pass rush, which greatly concerns me. However, I know I saw a number of our DL being held (which I didn't put in #1 because I don't expect the refs to call it every time). Would have been nice to get some of those calls, but that's part of the game. Run defense was generally stout up the middle for the most part.

3) Run defense - numbers were better than I expected. Total numbers weren't great, but McFadden averaged 3.6 YPC and Bush 4.0 YPC. The run that really broke open was Denarius Moore's 25-yarder.

4) Oakland's play calling - this actually carries over from KC. The Chiefs ran a LOT of misdirection plays. They rarely ran the ball up the middle without adding some twist to it (fake end-around, fake quick pass, etc.), and Oakland did some of that as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see New England follow suit.

5) Offense - I don't know if I've seen a better single-half performance than what this offense did in the second half. That was incredible - 5 drives, 5 TD's. They dominated running the ball and seemed to be able to throw at will. Only time they struggled was when Oakland pinned its ears back and sent guys constantly. There were a few times our OL (mostly on key downs) handled the blitz very well. Other times, Fitz had a hand in his face - but did a good job of getting the ball to his WR's.

6) Offensive Line - did not look good in the first half. I think the only run over 2 yards was the big one by Jackson in the first half. That being said, they were really a huge key to the turnaround in the second half. I went through the specific plays and half of our second half runs (7 out of 14) were for 11 yards or more. One of the 7 running plays that wasn't for 11 yards or more was a 1-yard TD run by Jackson. They were dominant. Only allowing one sack to that DL of the Raiders, especially considering how much we needed to pass.

7) Fitzpatrick - he's had his awful throws - several this game and several last week in fact. However, they seem to be fewer than last year. I've been impressed with his play these last two weeks. I'd have no problem signing him to a reasonable extension.

8) Pass defense - looked awful. Brady will tear us apart, and it's embarrassing to see a rookie 3rd-stringer rough us up for 4 receptions and 122 yards. Moore made some great catches, but I disagree with those who say that long TD reception couldn't have been defended - the safety (can't remember if it was Wilson or Byrd) did not time his jump well to knock it down. I'd like to see some better blitzes in the coming weeks.

9) Wildcat - Smith is looking even better in it. I have little doubt that we'll start breaking out the passes soon, very possibly against New England.

10) Spiller - Kid looked really good running the ball.

11) Coaches - Obviously didn't have a great gameplan coming in, but offensively they made fantastic changes. Defensively...well, I'll save those comments for another time.

This was one of the most fun games I've ever seen. Towards the end, I was talking to my wife and saying "well, normally the Bills would choke right about now, but this year I really don't know." Maybe, just maybe this is a different team with new players who are developing a new psyche.
    I agree with most of that. Spiller is a threat that we need to start producing, game in and game out. Fitz is coming along, but he still needs to prove it against an elite team...he does that, then I'm on the bandwagon and have my seatbelt on. The gameplan coming into the game was absolute garbage, but the coaches made the changes at half and it was very obvious. DC Edwards still shows that he has no place in this league as a DC...no argument about that...the guy is horrible and has no feel for the game.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Re: Thoughts on the game

Wilson was the safety on the deep ball, I believe.

Spiller impressed me today. He ran hard.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
      X