PDA

View Full Version : Secondary

ChristopherWalken
09-19-2011, 06:57 AM
I keep reading a bunch of comments on how the Bills secondary is mainly at fault for the Raiders scoring drives yesterday.

I guess I saw something different. Because of McFadden, the Bills were keeping the LBs home most of the game, rushing only 3 or 4 up front (depending on the scheme). This left the CBs one-on-one most of the game with these young Oakland WRs.

I think that was a good call initially by the Bills coaching staff as you would prefer to balance your D towards Oaklands strengths and make Campbell force the ball to some unproven WRs. The only problem with that is Campbell was up for the challenge and made some great reads leading into some awsome downfield passes. But mostly because there was ZERO blitzing from the Buffalo D.

And although the Bills DBs were far from perfect, I think they played the passing game rather well. The Oakland WRs just made some really damn good plays on the ball because most of the deep passes had the proper coverage. I do think the safeties played a better game than the CBs.

Don't get me wrong though, I firmly believe that the CB position is starting to look like the biggest hole on this team - but thats OK. Think back to what this defense looked like a year ago. Bills D 2010 playing in yesterdays game would have been a horrific outcome.

My point is the lack of pass rush allowed Campbell to make the throws. The Bills coaching staff let that defensive front run with it and hold their own. When there was collapse in the pocket Campbell was off his game.

I can deal with the deep acrobatic catches downfield when the coverage is there. What I cant deal with is getting torched against the run or allowing the opposing TE to trounce all over us across the middle becasue that is a telling sign of how well (or crappy) your DL and LBs are playing.

Night Train
09-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Lack of a consistent pass rush didn't help but McKelvin & Wilson were in position to make plays multiple times and failed miserably.

That just kills the team. Plus it wasn't just one game with these two. I'm sensing a pattern.

Searcy should start seeing some reps over Wilson and it may take another draft to deepen the CB situation. I think Williams is a better slot corner or even safety, lacking the deep speed but showing good instincts and the ability to hit. Searcy always hits, can run far better than I thought and should be in there soon.

mysticsoto
09-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Yes, the secondary was left one on one alot with WRs, but that was the point. Given that they had a supposed sub-par QB along with lower grade WRs should have meant that our secondary could handle it one on one. They frequently did not. As such, they do deserve some blame, although lack of pass rush probably has an equal share there. McKelvin once again had a bad game. Hopefully all his supporters that didn't realize DRC would have been the better choice when we drafted him have now seen the light...

ddaryl
09-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Campbell made some money throws, but our secondary left WR's wide open on many plays...

need to tighten up for sure... -

justasportsfan
09-19-2011, 09:16 AM
This left the CBs one-on-one most of the game with these young Oakland WRs.

we should win our 1 on 1 match up if we are to go to the playoffs . How do you think we beat the raiders? We took apart thier DBs especially Stevie on 1 on 1 coverages that their Johnson had no choice but to commit penalties.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 09:42 AM
The safeties in pass coverage do worry me - they've been late to cover nearly every pass down the sideline in two games. McKelvin also got burnt several times. The key is going to be pass rush - we need to get that going.

However, another thing that worries me is the inconsistency between the gameplans vs. Jamaal Charles and vs. Darren McFadden. It's obvious in both cases that their offenses revolve around those two guys. I thought we bottled up Charles very well, especially on receiving plays. However, we did an awful job of keeping McFadden in check as a receiver. That's worrisome to me.

ChristopherWalken
09-19-2011, 10:41 AM
we should win our 1 on 1 match up if we are to go to the playoffs . How do you think we beat the raiders? We took apart thier DBs especially Stevie on 1 on 1 coverages that their Johnson had no choice but to commit penalties.

You would hope so but since Campbell was having 6+ seconds to release the ball downfield the WRs had time to work free. Doesn't matter how good your corners are if you have that much time to throw the football someone is going to get open.

Even still, the coverage was there and there without having to commit the penalties.

Again, I can handle losing the acorbatic leaps for the ball as long as the coverage is there and the DB is nosing the ball. This proved beneficial in the last play of the game when the Bills came up on top of the INT versus another miraculous WR catch.

DraftBoy
09-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Yes, the secondary was left one on one alot with WRs, but that was the point. Given that they had a supposed sub-par QB along with lower grade WRs should have meant that our secondary could handle it one on one. They frequently did not. As such, they do deserve some blame, although lack of pass rush probably has an equal share there. McKelvin once again had a bad game. Hopefully all his supporters that didn't realize DRC would have been the better choice when we drafted him have now seen the light...

:whistle:

ChristopherWalken
09-19-2011, 10:46 AM
The safeties in pass coverage do worry me - they've been late to cover nearly every pass down the sideline in two games. McKelvin also got burnt several times. The key is going to be pass rush - we need to get that going.

However, another thing that worries me is the inconsistency between the gameplans vs. Jamaal Charles and vs. Darren McFadden. It's obvious in both cases that their offenses revolve around those two guys. I thought we bottled up Charles very well, especially on receiving plays. However, we did an awful job of keeping McFadden in check as a receiver. That's worrisome to me.

Have to respectively disagree on the safeties. I thought they played a better game and provided help when needed.

To add to your Charles / McFadden point: I think the differnce revolves heavily between the Raiders offensive coordinator and the Chiefs OC. Chiefs gave up on the run very early and every aspect of their offense stems from that dimension of their scheme. Also, I think the Raiders OL is significantly better than what the Chiefs showed. Not to minimize McFadden's level of execution. The guy was on fire.