PDA

View Full Version : So we are waiting for the high-rollers coming in to smack us down

ghz in pittsburgh
09-19-2011, 08:47 AM
The rag tag team of the Bills seem to finally get out its own way and rally people around to punch out those street corner thugs who bullied us for all those years.

But on the horizon comes the fleet of slick haired Pats on their white horses with trophy models in tow. They are flashing their shiny weapons and are going to bludgeon us to submission.

I'm going to enjoy the sun right now but I do fear for worst coming next Sunday.

JoeMama
09-19-2011, 08:55 AM
With the Patriots coming to town, this might as well be a playoff game for me.

After 8 long years of losing to them, this game means a lot more than the average matchup. It's also an opportunity for our rag tag group of unheralded players to out-Patriot the Patriots.

They built their dynasty on players who were dealt an incredible lack of respect or reverence around the league who were fantastic role players in Belichick's scheme.

My expectations are a bit tempered given how great the Patriots look, and how well they typically do against us, but we have a chance and I expect us to be competitive.

better days
09-19-2011, 08:58 AM

After 8 long years of losing to them, this game means a lot more than the average matchup. It's also an opportunity for our rag tag group of unheralded players to out-Patriot the Patriots.

They built their dynasty on players who were dealt an incredible lack of respect or reverence around the league who were fantastic role players in Belichick's scheme.

My expectations are a bit tempered given how great the Patriots look, and how well they typically do against us, but we have a chance and I expect us to be competitive.

This will be the 1st game in a long time I have any hope the Bills could pull off the upset & win against the Pats*.

ublinkwescore
09-19-2011, 09:00 AM

I like our chances. we've had teams that had the patriots on the ropes in years past since 03, but just couldn't finish them off. this team, and this coaching staff has a killer instinct about them coupled with a resiliency we've not seen in a very long time. if any bills team stands a chance at knocking off the patriots, it is this one, there are enough people on this roster who know the patriots are no slouch, and that they will have to bring their a game. the 12th man will have to bring it's a game too. but we can do it, I think we will do it. this team has an identity, leadership, and talent to boot. we will beat the patriots.

justasportsfan
09-19-2011, 09:02 AM
I don't like our match up vs. their TE's. If we don't harrass Brady at the LOS and run the ball successfully, we're in for a whipping.

Dujek
09-19-2011, 09:04 AM
We usually run the Patriots close the first time we play them every season.

Billieve that this is the year that "running them close" turns into a win for the Bills.

better days
09-19-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't like our match up vs. their TE's. If we don't harrass Brady at the LOS and run the ball successfully, we're in for a whipping.

My thinking also. The Bills have to PRESSURE Brady & not give him all day to pick them apart. On offense if they can run the ball & control the clock they can keep the ball out of Bradys hands.

Jan Reimers
09-19-2011, 09:15 AM
I think some of you put too much emphasis on beating the Pats, as if losing to them will somehow negate, or invalidate, two great wins.

Look, guys, we are getting better. I would love a win over the Pats, but a competitive game is all I'm looking for. Only a blow out by B&B will disappoint me.

We don't have to jump all the way from crap to better-than-the Pats in one fell swoop. We are probably not there yet, but our first two wins show we are on our way.

X-Era
09-19-2011, 09:16 AM
I like our chances. we've had teams that had the patriots on the ropes in years past since 03, but just couldn't finish them off. this team, and this coaching staff has a killer instinct about them coupled with a resiliency we've not seen in a very long time. if any bills team stands a chance at knocking off the patriots, it is this one, there are enough people on this roster who know the patriots are no slouch, and that they will have to bring their a game. the 12th man will have to bring it's a game too. but we can do it, I think we will do it. this team has an identity, leadership, and talent to boot. we will beat the patriots.I think we have a real chance too. But, we have to find our pass rush. If we allow Brady to stay clean, It will be long day.

better days
09-19-2011, 09:31 AM
I think some of you put too much emphasis on beating the Pats, as if losing to them will somehow negate, or invalidate, two great wins.

Look, guys, we are getting better. I would love a win over the Pats, but a competitive game is all I'm looking for. Only a blow out by B&B will disappoint me.

We don't have to jump all the way from crap to better-than-the Pats in one fell swoop. We are probably not there yet, but our first two wins show we are on our way.

I will not be down if we lose to the Pats* as long as we don't lose like the Chiefs have the 1st 2 weeks. The Chiefs boards must be on suicide watch after they went into the season FALSELY thinking they were good.

It sure would be nice to FINALLY beat the Pats* though & get that Monkey off our back. The Fins have beat them before when they had a worse team than the Bills.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Jan is right. Reality is that we're not on the level of the Pats, and they are just smoking everyone they play. I think our offense will move the ball, but our defense will get picked apart.

The reality of the situation means I'd be OK with a competitive game for now. Will still be pissed if they lose, but after my emotions lessen I'll be OK with a competitive game.

Does that mean that suddenly Op is right if we lose and people are lowering their expectations if they just want to see a competitive game? I personally don't think so, but people can think what they want. Theoretically, we could lose both games to the Pats and still go 14-2.

I want to see a win, and I think if 1) the ball bounces our way a few times, and 2) the coaches make key adjustments between now and next Sunday, we could win. I just don't see it happening this time.

justasportsfan
09-19-2011, 09:43 AM

not at all Jan. IMO, we beat teams we should have beaten which is an awsome thing. KC is a mess and the raiders were filled with injuries. The Pats are the standard of the NFL. If we can beat them, we know we have a chance vs any other team and that we're not pretenders. Thats what we're hoping for.

ServoBillieves
09-19-2011, 09:44 AM
A loss to the Patsies is part of my 18-1 record predicted for this season. They just want someone to suffer the way they did... ANYWHO...

Merriman needs to literally be lights out. We need a pass rush that gets to the quarterback. We've been pressuring the QB plenty, but yesterday we had 0 sacks. That being said, no Raider legally got their hands on Fitzy for a loss either, but Jason Campbell is no Tom Lady. If we can take him down a couple times or at least make him think twice, we hold some sort of chance. You hit Trent once, he's second guessing and cowering every time. You hit Lady, you hit him again, you keep hitting him, he won't stop until you hit him about the 8th time, then he MIGHT hesitate for that extra second where the wheels can come off that locomotive.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Aaron Hernandez was injured at the end of the SD game. Not sure how he's faring, but it would be big for us if he didn't play.

justasportsfan
09-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Aaron Hernandez was injured at the end of the SD game. Not sure how he's faring, but it would be big for us if he didn't play.

they have a new receiver, Wilfork. lol.

better days
09-19-2011, 09:50 AM
A loss to the Patsies is part of my 18-1 record predicted for this season. They just want someone to suffer the way they did... ANYWHO...

Merriman needs to literally be lights out. We need a pass rush that gets to the quarterback. We've been pressuring the QB plenty, but yesterday we had 0 sacks. That being said, no Raider legally got their hands on Fitzy for a loss either, but Jason Campbell is no Tom Lady. If we can take him down a couple times or at least make him think twice, we hold some sort of chance. You hit Trent once, he's second guessing and cowering every time. You hit Lady, you hit him again, you keep hitting him, he won't stop until you hit him about the 8th time, then he MIGHT hesitate for that extra second where the wheels can come off that locomotive.

I agree with much of this, but NOBODY gets to Brady 8 time a game. The NY Giants proved in their Super Bowl Win if you pressure Brady early in the game, you can shake him up & take him out of his rhythm.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Actually, it sounds like Hernandez was talking to the media after the game - thus probably not a serious injury at all.

Ickybaluky
09-19-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm surprised you people aren't giving yourself more of a shot. Buffalo is playing well, and the difference between teams in the NFL isn't as great as people think.

I think these are key factors in the Bills favor:

1) The Pats offense is playing great, but the defense is a work-in-progress. The Pats are basically playing a new scheme with a lot of new players, and they are not in sync. They make some good plays, but give up some big ones. I think the DL is pretty talented and has played well, but the back-seven on defense has been jumbled and they don't know what they are doing yet.

A perfect example of this is Jerod Mayo, a great player who moved from ILB to WSLB. On Matthews TD run yesterday the Pats actually defended it pretty well, and Mayo should have been in the hole to clean up on the tackle (he was unblocked). However, Mayo over-pursued and wasn't there. That kind of discipline in run fits is different from a 4-3 to a 3-4, and the Pats have made mistakes in the adjustments.

In the secondary, they have big CB and young S, and have been playing more man-to-man than in the past. However, given their youth and inexperience, they have allowed guys to break open for big gains. This is a big-time work-in-progress, and there will be plays to be made against them.

2) The Bills run game has been very good and that is a key to beating the Pats. If you control the ball on the ground, you eat clock and keep that high-powered Pats offense on the sidelines. Jackson has the potential to be a big thorn in the Pats side next week.

3) The game will be played in Buffalo. If you look at Brady historically his completion percentage, Yds/Att and TD% are actually a sliver better on the road. The big difference is his Int%, which is almost twice what it is at home. A couple turnovers can ruin a good day, which is basically what happened to Phillip Rivers yesterday.

I think the Pats will need to do a good job against the run next week to win. The balance the Bills have had these first two weeks has been critical to their offensive success. Fitzpatrick has been able to spread the ball around and play efficient, but the run game has been keying their offense.

I expect the Pats to spread the Bills out like they did Miami, and they should move the ball given the matchups they will find. They need to avoid mistakes.

I think it will be a pretty good game, as I expect the Bills to come out flying at home, given the recent history between the teams and them out to prove this year is different.

Ickybaluky
09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Actually, it sounds like Hernandez was talking to the media after the game - thus probably not a serious injury at all.

He took a shot on the leg and was limping after the game. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play, although it will probably be a game-time deal. Either way, I doubt the Pats plan is effected much, they are going to do what they do.

Ebenezer
09-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm surprised you people aren't giving yourself more of a shot. Buffalo is playing well, and the difference between teams in the NFL isn't as great as people think.

Here is the key to the game:

NE:
Branch
Ochocinco
Welker
Edelman
Gronkowski
Hernandez
Woodhead
Green-Ellis

Oak:
Moore
McFadden
Hagan
Reece
Myers
Schilens

OAK had 323 yards passing with these guys as their receivers and Campbell as their QB. the Bills secondary couldn't cover their noses to sneeze. Brady could throw up 600 - 700 yards against the Bills the way they played yesterday.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Icky - Completely agree that #2 is of immense importance if we're going to beat the Pats. That said, I can see our offense moving the ball pretty well. The problem will be our defense - would not be surprised at all to see Brady and co. score a TD on every drive during the game.

Ickybaluky
09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Icky - Completely agree that #2 is of immense importance if we're going to beat the Pats. That said, I can see our offense moving the ball pretty well. The problem will be our defense - would not be surprised at all to see Brady and co. score a TD on every drive during the game.

Yeah, Pats have a great offense, I get that. However, to say they are going to be great every week or perfect every drive is a little over-the-top. It has only been 2 games.

BTW, Aaron Hernandez has a sprained MCL and will be out 1-2 weeks. I'd expect Ochocinco to get an increase from the 17-18 snaps he has played the first 2 weeks.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Yeah, Pats have a great offense, I get that. However, to say they are going to be great every week or perfect every drive is a little over-the-top. It has only been 2 games.

BTW, Aaron Hernandez has a sprained MCL and will be out 1-2 weeks. I'd expect Ochocinco to get an increase from the 17-18 snaps he has played the first 2 weeks.
It's not just that the Pats are good on offense. It's that they're good where we're bad - in the passing game. Buffalo may be able to force a few punts if they can really stop the run. But as badly as we played pass defense against Oakland (and there were guys running free for KC - Cassel just wasn't good enough to take advantage), I think Brady could easily have a heyday.

That being said...with these games where everyone expects monster offensive numbers, they often tend to move the other way and have better defense than people expect. Wonder what the O/U will be on total points for this game.

Surprising news on Hernandez. He's a spectacular weapon for you guys and that could hurt.

Ickybaluky
09-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Wonder what the O/U will be on total points for this game.

Early lines have Pats favored by 9 - 9.5 points, with an O/U of about 51.5.

LINK (http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/)

I'd expect that to come down later in the week, that is just what it is opening at.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Early lines have Pats favored by 9 - 9.5 points, with an O/U of about 51.5.

LINK (http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/)

I'd expect that to come down later in the week, that is just what it is opening at.
Sounds about right. The only O/U larger than ours is Houston/New Orleans.

Cntrygal
09-20-2011, 08:25 AM

:10:

Night Train
09-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Probably the most obnoxious visiting fans ever.

Bring eggs.

THATHURMANATOR
09-20-2011, 10:09 AM
He is out for at least 2 weeks, but sounding more like 4. Sprained PCL.

Oaf
09-20-2011, 10:35 PM
I can't believe the line at home between two 2-0 teams is -9.5...

But I agree with NE- if Jackson can control the TOP and Fitz makes some efficient passes to keep Tom Brady and co. off the field (and they WILL score when on it), then we got a shot. Maybe we can put up 30 first downs again?

Beebe's Kid
09-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Here is the key to the game:

NE:
Branch
Ochocinco
Welker
Edelman
Gronkowski
Hernandez
Woodhead
Green-Ellis

Oak:
Moore
McFadden
Hagan
Reece
Myers
Schilens

OAK had 323 yards passing with these guys as their receivers and Campbell as their QB. the Bills secondary couldn't cover their noses to sneeze. Brady could throw up 600 - 700 yards against the Bills the way they played yesterday.

This is irrelevant. You are acting like Campbell had a good game in spite of himself, and that is just not true. The guy is an NFL vet, and he threw the ball well.

There is constant talk about the receivers... That is funny, considering where we picked up our WR crew that everybody is in love with. The ball was there and they caught it; sounds simple enough, but it wasn't a whole lot more difficult.

McFadden or Bush vs The Pats RBs...not even close.

To look at NE and Oak and try to make a comparison is just not fair to the two teams. They are completely different.

The covering the sneeze analogy is cute, but the fact is great throws and great catches beat good coverage. There were definitely some holes in our D, but I think that Oakland deserves more credit for the game that they played.

We can beat NE. I would guess that the key is to play our game, at our pace. If this game turns into a shootout, we just might be able to hang in there. 5 TD's on 5 2nd half possessions is nothing to "sneeze" at.

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2011, 12:02 AM
The rag tag team of the Bills seem to finally get out its own way and rally people around to punch out those street corner thugs who bullied us for all those years.

But on the horizon comes the fleet of slick haired Pats on their white horses with trophy models in tow. They are flashing their shiny weapons and are going to bludgeon us to submission.

I'm going to enjoy the sun right now but I do fear for worst coming next Sunday.

**** all that noise. the patriots are as beatable as any other team in this league. stay in pittsburgh with that ****ty attitude.

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2011, 12:09 AM
I hope the Bills didn't blitz the raiders very much for a reason. hopefully they saved the majority of their blitz packages for the pats. i would love for the Bills to beat that perfect azzole tom "i secretly kiss boys" brady.

Mad Max
09-21-2011, 12:23 AM
This is irrelevant. You are acting like Campbell had a good game in spite of himself, and that is just not true. The guy is an NFL vet, and he threw the ball well.

There is constant talk about the receivers... That is funny, considering where we picked up our WR crew that everybody is in love with. The ball was there and they caught it; sounds simple enough, but it wasn't a whole lot more difficult.

McFadden or Bush vs The Pats RBs...not even close.

To look at NE and Oak and try to make a comparison is just not fair to the two teams. They are completely different.

The covering the sneeze analogy is cute, but the fact is great throws and great catches beat good coverage. There were definitely some holes in our D, but I think that Oakland deserves more credit for the game that they played.

We can beat NE. I would guess that the key is to play our game, at our pace. If this game turns into a shootout, we just might be able to hang in there. 5 TD's on 5 2nd half possessions is nothing to "sneeze" at.

Correct. There's a bit too much kowtowing to the mighty pasties going on right now.

"The Wright brothers didn’t contemplate the staying on the ground of things. Alexander Graham Bell didn’t contemplate the noncommunication of things. Thomas Edison didn’t contemplate the darkness of things. In order to float an idea into your reality, you must be willing to do a somersault into the inconceivable and land on your feet, contemplating what you want instead of what you don’t have." -Wayne Dyer

I guarantee that the Bills aren't contemplating the non-winning of this game. So I'm not going to either.

psubills62
09-21-2011, 09:37 AM
I hope the Bills didn't blitz the raiders very much for a reason. hopefully they saved the majority of their blitz packages for the pats. i would love for the Bills to beat that perfect azzole tom "i secretly kiss boys" brady.
I can see why this reasoning may be logical. However, at the same time, why would a team sacrifice a possible win in one game to risk a possible win the next game? It's obvious our D needed a big stop against Oakland after Buffalo took the lead and never really got it until the very end.

Personally, I'd hope our coaches are good enough to blitz as much as they need one week and then change things up for the next week. After a couple years, Rex Ryan still managed to have creative blitzes even though he sends guys on every play.

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2011, 12:44 PM
I can see why this reasoning may be logical. However, at the same time, why would a team sacrifice a possible win in one game to risk a possible win the next game? It's obvious our D needed a big stop against Oakland after Buffalo took the lead and never really got it until the very end.

Personally, I'd hope our coaches are good enough to blitz as much as they need one week and then change things up for the next week. After a couple years, Rex Ryan still managed to have creative blitzes even though he sends guys on every play.

They felt the Raiders game could be won without many blitzs and feel the Pats game cannot? No idea, just a thought that came across my mind.

OpIv37
09-21-2011, 12:54 PM
We usually run the Patriots close the first time we play them every season.

That's because it's they're "scouting" game- they use it to steal our signals so they can cheat and roll us in the 2nd game.

ParanoidAndroid
09-21-2011, 03:27 PM
The Bills defense was selling out on the run against the Raiders and bit on a couple of huge play action passes. I'm not going to make excuses, but I think this secondary is better than they played last weekend.
Force those turnovers and it's a competetive game. If the Pats don't caugh up the ball, they will outpace our O.