PDA

View Full Version : Last Bills Offensive Play Yesterday

ghz in pittsburgh
09-19-2011, 12:19 PM
There are various analysis on that play. For the most part, it focused on Spiller, as in why the Raiders put two on him.

First of all, Jackson was not in on that play. And the Bills do run out of that formation - 3 WR, TE, RB - a lot. There was a common complaint about our offense when Spiller is on the filed - being that they run most of the time in that case; this is one of those common formations. The Raiders thought so obviously as they have 5 down linemen on that play, and they did not blitz or even pass rushing that hard. They splitted the 6 cover guys 3 and 3 on each side.

I never thought Spiller at this point of his career warrant a double coverage. But Nelson on WRG gave a valid explanation. He said the Raiders may actually worry about Spiller using his speed to get that one yard going out of bounds. To be honest with you, I never thought about that during the moment yesterday; I just assumed that we go for the TD.

There was 18 seconds on the clock. If Spiller did get the handoff or a toss and go for a yard and out of bounds, the Bills would have 4 shots at the endzone from 5 yard or less range for 13 seconds. If I were on defense I'd want to end it right then instead of facing that possibility. The reasoning is sound and I guess it must have been communicated to the players around Spiller clearly. But I think they did not communicated to the defense as a whole clearly, resulting an obvious blown coverage to Nelson.

TMu11
09-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Want my analysis?

It worked. Sweet

clumping platelets
09-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Smart coaching beats dumb coaching

Jaybird
09-19-2011, 02:33 PM
It was a great play call

jamze132
09-19-2011, 03:07 PM
It really looked like someone on Oakland blew and assignment.

YardRat
09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
It really looked like someone on Oakland blew and assignment.

They did...Even though it was man coverage, the CB originally on Nelson is supposed to pick up CJ and the LB on CJ is supposed to hook on Nelson...kinf of like a 'switch' in basketball. The LB, though, stuck with CJ and left Nelson alone.

Great play design, and nice read by Fitz.

madness
09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
My question is about the last Bills defensive play.

Anybody see who was basically tackled by two Raiders on the final Hail Mary? Campbell was about to get lit up on that play.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 03:16 PM
My question is about the last Bills defensive play.

Anybody see who was basically tackled by two Raiders on the final Hail Mary? Campbell was about to get lit up on that play.
I was screaming as he threw the ball that the refs should be calling holding or something on that play. I think it was Merriman.

I will say that the Raiders were holding our DL - mostly the guys coming up the middle when rushing the passer - all day. But as I said in another thread also, that's part of the game and our guys have to learn to play despite it.

madness
09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
I was screaming as he threw the ball that the refs should be calling holding or something on that play. I think it was Merriman.

I will say that the Raiders were holding our DL - mostly the guys coming up the middle when rushing the passer - all day. But as I said in another thread also, that's part of the game and our guys have to learn to play despite it.

Thanks, that's who I was thinking. I couldn't see who as I was at the end of the field and I couldn't make it out on the highlights today here at work. I was in shock as it happened right in front of the official.

wmoz11
09-19-2011, 03:24 PM
smartfootball.com had a really nice write-up with the reason for its success and the diagram of the play. I'll post it here when I get home from work.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Here it is. http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/4469/draw-it-up-bills-breakdown

But I want to point out that the Bills do run out of this formation a lot. If I remember correctly, CJ scored a TD from 2 yard line to the corner last year running.

DraftBoy
09-19-2011, 06:04 PM
The genius of the play is that Oakland was looking and thinking run, hence the blown assignment and Nelson being wide open. Plus Chandler's clear out is the most underrated part of that play. He doesn't draw the defender out of the middle that pass never happens.

madness
09-19-2011, 06:18 PM
The genius of the play is that Oakland was looking and thinking run, hence the blown assignment and Nelson being wide open. Plus Chandler's clear out is the most underrated part of that play. He doesn't draw the defender out of the middle that pass never happens.

Yep, it was the same exact play when Chandler got down to the one. Oakland was thinking it had to be a Spiller run or the ball was going to Chandler.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks, that's who I was thinking. I couldn't see who as I was at the end of the field and I couldn't make it out on the highlights today here at work. I was in shock as it happened right in front of the official.
It seemed to be one of those instances where the refs just weren't going to call anything. Let them play the last play out, no matter what happens.:idunno:

YardRat
09-19-2011, 09:22 PM

I've got to disagree...as soon as Fitz took the snap and CJ flared out to the left, if the defenders weren't reading and reacting to pass then they don't belong on an NFL field. The blown assignment was the result of the LB not picking up on the switch for man-under pass coverage responsibility. I do agree, however, that Chandler's clear out is overlooked.

DraftBoy
09-20-2011, 07:24 AM
I've got to disagree...as soon as Fitz took the snap and CJ flared out to the left, if the defenders weren't reading and reacting to pass then they don't belong on an NFL field. The blown assignment was the result of the LB not picking up on the switch for man-under pass coverage responsibility. I do agree, however, that Chandler's clear out is overlooked.

CJ flares out still doesn't means he's not getting the ball. Nobody was going to run a draw up the middle, CJ flaring out still has to be covered for a swing pass option.

There was a blown assignment but it was due to design of the play.