PDA

View Full Version : Bills not for real....

Valerie
09-19-2011, 01:21 PM
They're not for real

Buffalo Bills. This is a feel-good story, thanks to the offensive prowess of quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and running back Fred Jackson. But don’t put too much emphasis on lighting up two teams from the AFC West. The true test will be how the Bills fare against the Patriots, Jets and Dolphins in the highly competitive AFC East. We'll get a pretty good litmus test for Buffalo when it hosts New England in Week 3. Although the Patriots have won 15 consecutive games in the series, there have been some tight matchups recently.

If they can pull the upset, the Bills have a strong chance at going 4-0, with Cincinnati looming the following week. Looking down the line, however, the Eagles, Jets (twice), Giants, Cowboys, Chargers, Patriots (again) make up seven of their final 12 games.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-09-18/week-2-checkdown-seeing-is-believing-with-texans-lions?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk3%7C96825#ixzz1YQLAGDDb

psubills62
09-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Giants, Cowboys and Jets aren't as good as people claim either. At this point I think we split with the Jets, personally.

zone
09-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Time will tell.

better days
09-19-2011, 01:31 PM
So the Texans who beat a TERRIBLE Colts team without Manning & the Fins who are Mediocre are for real, but the Bills who STOMPED the Chiefs & Beat a Raider team that is better than any team the Texans have played are not for real. Logical................NOT.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 01:37 PM
The writer seems to have an inconsistency there. He mentions the Cowboys in a list of seemingly daunting teams on Buffalo's upcoming schedule. He then proceeds to list Washington's easy schedule and adds the Cowboys.

So why is Dallas a tough matchup for Buffalo but an easy one for Washington?

The King
09-19-2011, 01:38 PM
This thread feels dirty coming from Valerie who's not a Bills fan.

Valerie
09-19-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm a Bills fan. The only time I'm not is when they play the Cowboys and then I've gotta root for my 'boys. At any rate, I didn't write the article, I just found it interesting. I'm glad to read that the Skins aren't for real. I absolutely despise them.

The last buffalo fan
09-19-2011, 01:40 PM
I think Valerie's source is a wealthy chef.

justasportsfan
09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
I agree that the pats are the biggest test. Talk about Capt Obvious, but lets not forget that sporting news picked KC to beat bills and Pitts to beat ravens. In other words, internet posters pretending to be experts like every one of us.

Pinkerton Security
09-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Fred Jackson, Bills. Not to spill the best-kept secret in the NFL, but Jackson is Buffalo's best back, not 2010 first-round pick C.J. Spiller. Jackson (15 carries for 117 yards, two TDs) topped 110 yards for the second consecutive week to power his team's 2-0 start.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-09-18/week-2-checkdown-seeing-is-believing-with-texans-lions?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk3%7C96825#ixzz1YQR6kopO

This is where i lost the little respect I had left for this dumb article...the guy obviously has no idea whats going on. Any legit NFL fan knows that Freddie J is the man here in Buffalo and has been for the better part of a year, let alone an NFL "reporter". What a sham.

TrEd FTW
09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
If the "for real" gauge is based on beating the Patriots, then I don't think anyone's for real. That team might go undefeated again.

Mad Max
09-19-2011, 01:53 PM
<object height="360" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bH-N_JNFLE4?version=3%3Cb%3E&start=40%3C/b%3E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="360" width="640"></object>

Except replace "forget" with the real word. :censored: (article writer not OP)

madness
09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Don't put too much emphasis on beating teams from the AFC West? The true test is beating teams in our own division? Wow, this guy is a genius. What's next? Write a story on how teams are only as good as their schedule?

Night Train
09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Play the schedule and see where the chips fall.

Regardles of who the opponent is, the Bills aren't scared of anyone right now.

RoscoeMagic
09-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Giants, Cowboys and Jets aren't as good as people claim either. At this point I think we split with the Jets, personally.
Quite frankly without Vick and Young, if the Eagles have to start Mike Kafka, that's also a very winable home game.

PromoTheRobot
09-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Even if the Pats kill us twice, that's 2 games out of 16. Big deal. We are in every game we play.

PTR

Electrici
The Bills aren't "for real" until they make the playoffs. That 5-1 start was not even a few years ago, I haven't forgotten quite yet. The Bills are definitely improved, but as mentioned earlier... time will tell.

psubills62
Quite frankly without Vick and Young, if the Eagles have to start Mike Kafka, that's also very winable home game.
Right now it looks like Vick will be fine to play against us, provided he doesn't get injured again.

If Vick does play, I think that will be a very intriguing matchup for our D. I'd like to see how they play against him - though I'm afraid of the potential results.

PromoTheRobot
09-19-2011, 03:02 PM
The Bills aren't "for real" until they make the playoffs. That 5-1 start was not even a few years ago, I haven't forgotten quite yet. The Bills are definitely improved, but as mentioned earlier... time will tell.

That implosion came courtesy of "Dickless" Jauron. He sucks the life out of football teams. Not happening this year. We'll lose some games but we will not collapse like 2008.

PTR

YardRat
09-19-2011, 03:04 PM
One game at a time. The only 'for sure' is that we're sitting at 2-0, when almost everybody had us at 0-2 or 1-1. I'll take that for now.

RoscoeMagic
09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Right now it looks like Vick will be fine to play against us, provided he doesn't get injured again.

If Vick does play, I think that will be a very intriguing matchup for our D. I'd like to see how they play against him - though I'm afraid of the potential results.

I know, I was just saying. He might get hurt again within the next two weeks with the way he plays.

I'm terrified of the outcome it it's Vick. I don't think our LBs are fast enough to contain him. And even if Vince Young can't throw for watermelons, I still can't get that game out of my head when he committed genocide on our D. I think it was two years ago, I know we had completely different personnel but still.

If it's Kafka though (might be a long shot but within the realm of possibility), I think it's very winable.

Pats are obviously our toughest opponent right now. Eagles with Vick would be too. Other than that, I think @ SD late in the year could be a tough W to pull out, since they always seem to play better down the stretch. Besides those, what four games at most? I'll be confident we can pull out the W in every other game. Doesn't mean I think we will, but certainly can. I think we can absolutely split the Jets.

RoscoeMagic
09-19-2011, 03:12 PM
That implosion came courtesy of "Dickless" Jauron. He sucks the life out of football teams. Not happening this year. We'll lose some games but we will not collapse like 2008.

PTR

*IF Fitz is healthy all 16 games, I would be inclined to agree. I feel like we always have a shot with him and that passing attack. Hope our WRs stay healthy too.

BidsJr
09-19-2011, 03:21 PM

PTR

Sorry but that implosion came courtesy of Trent Edwards getting his eggs scrambled and never being the same QB again.

Beebe's Kid
09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
I am having fun watching this team.

A consequence of the Internet is that the "pros" are not so "pro" any more. There are any number of us that could write about the Bills with infinitely more insight that these clowns.

Also, I can't change what is going to happen in the Bills season. I hope they make the Playoffs, but there is no way to tell without playing the games. I do know that this team is fun as hell to watch, and this is nowhere near the Jauron era, which left you feeling violated week after week.

Go Bills, and I hope everybody in the league keeps waiting for the other shoe to drop, while underestimating our guys.

Bill Cody
09-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Guys just need to enjoy the ride. There's nothing better in sports than a team that exceeds expectations. No pressure, all upside.

Goobylal
09-19-2011, 04:04 PM
The Sporting News is not for real either. It died when the internet came along.

Philagape
09-19-2011, 04:16 PM
There's nothing better in sports than a team that exceeds expectations.

I kinda think maybe championships are better.

ServoBillieves
09-19-2011, 05:00 PM
AOL is still part of the internet?

better days
09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Sorry but that implosion came courtesy of Trent Edwards getting his eggs scrambled and never being the same QB again.

I have heard this BS before. If true EXPLAIN how Edwards had his best game the game he played after he was injured.

My opinion is JAURON messed up Trents head, not the concussion. Jauron put a mentality into Edwards to play it safe & he bought into it.

Meathead
09-19-2011, 08:43 PM
3-1 after the first qtr of the season is what i predicted and thats what its gonna be. then its 7-5 the rest of the way for 10-6 and a wc. beyoches

Bill Cody
09-19-2011, 09:02 PM
I kinda think maybe championships are better.

pretty sure if we won it all that would exceed expectations, not sure I'll check with OP

Beebe's Kid
09-19-2011, 11:17 PM
I have heard this BS before. If true EXPLAIN how Edwards had his best game the game he played after he was injured.

My opinion is JAURON messed up Trents head, not the concussion. Jauron put a mentality into Edwards to play it safe & he bought into it.
The San Diego game was probably Trent's best game as a Bill...I have to agree.

Jauron was a bad, bad, bad coach.

I guy next to me in class today is a Brown's fan...we just laughed. Every time he mentions their defense, I just wish him luck. He was saying something about not being agressive, and their D was vanilla today.

Dick Jauron almost single handedly ruined football for me.

Mad Max
09-19-2011, 11:55 PM
AOL is still part of the internet?

lol, AOL would have disappeared into the ether years ago if it weren't for it's purchase of Time Warner.

But unfortunately due to that purchase of a very profitable REAL company...AOL will persist.

Mike
09-20-2011, 01:55 AM
So the Texans who beat a TERRIBLE Colts team without Manning & the Fins who are Mediocre are for real, but the Bills who STOMPED the Chiefs & Beat a Raider team that is better than any team the Texans have played are not for real. Logical................NOT.

Texans have been on the brink for a few years now & they dominated a Colts team that has gone to the playoffs for 12 straight years & won a SB.

Most analyst have Miami ranked bellow the bills & sight their QB problem as their main issue.

The Bills have beat up on a KC team that looks to be the worst in the league or close to it.

The Raiders took their foot off the gas & it cost them the game. Happens more often than it should. When a team s up 21-3, they mentally get out of it until it's too late. bills did an excellent job of mow ting a comeback & securing a victory.

Are the Bills for real?

Way too early to tell however Real teams are a threat to win it all & I don't think the Bills are quite there yet.

better days
09-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Texans have been on the brink for a few years now & they dominated a Colts team that has gone to the playoffs for 12 straight years & won a SB.

Most analyst have Miami ranked bellow the bills & sight their QB problem as their main issue.

The Bills have beat up on a KC team that looks to be the worst in the league or close to it.

The Raiders took their foot off the gas & it cost them the game. Happens more often than it should. When a team s up 21-3, they mentally get out of it until it's too late. bills did an excellent job of mow ting a comeback & securing a victory.

Are the Bills for real?

Way too early to tell however Real teams are a threat to win it all & I don't think the Bills are quite there yet.

To say the Texans have been a team on the brink is to say they have not won. The Colts team this year without Manning is TERRIBLE & in the hunt for Luck.

In fact Polian was at Luck's last game scouting him so he must believe they have a chance to get him because there were many other games he could have gone to & scouted players from.

The Raiders are a FAR better team than any the Texans have faced so far, so to say the Texans are ready & the Bills are not is LUDICROUS.

psubills62
09-20-2011, 08:53 AM

Are the Bills for real?

1) If you think this is the same Colts team as the one that's been to the playoffs and won a SB...not sure what to say. They're pretty rotten without Manning.

2) Raiders took their foot off the gas? Hard to say that - IIRC, they had a fumble and one drive where they were forced to punt in the second half. Otherwise, they moved the ball quite well and didn't seem to be letting up to me.

You're right that it's too early to tell. However, if you solely look at the current evidence, there doesn't seem to be much of a gap between Houston and Buffalo. I think people's early prejudices tend to contribute to their opinions.

Philagape
09-20-2011, 09:36 AM
pretty sure if we won it all that would exceed expectations, not sure I'll check with OP

But exceeding expectations doesn't necessarily mean winning it all. It could mean 8-8. There are better things in sports than that.

Mike
09-20-2011, 10:31 AM
You're right that it's too early to tell. However, if you solely look at the current evidence, there doesn't seem to be much of a gap between Houston and Buffalo. I think people's early prejudices tend to contribute to their opinions.

It all comes down to how you define 'for real'. If for real mean threat to win SB, I don't think were there yet, and neither are the texans. At best the Texans could be a surprise team like the cards a few years back.

Now if it means playoff bound, then the Texans are a big threat and for real. They are clearly the best team in their weak division & almost a lock for the playoffs while the bills play in a very tough AFC East & will have a very hard time getting in.

Putting 2and2 together, we see that since the Taxans are far more likely to go to the playoffs, where anything could happen, they are a bigger threat to become that Cinderella team & win it all. I still don't like their chances however their chances are higher than the Bills as they stand now.

If the Texans played in the AFC East it might be a different story. Lastly, over the last 15yrs or so, teams with easier schedules have gone to the SB far more often that teams with difficult schedules. What makes it even more interesting is that in that time frame there have been @ least 5 new playoff teams each year! What does this all mean? It means that the NFL is a parity league & the teams with the easiest schedules have a huge advantage. In the end, this all bodes very well for a team like the Texans.

Mike
09-20-2011, 10:39 AM
2) Raiders took their foot off the gas? Hard to say that - IIRC, they had a fumble and one drive where they were forced to punt in the second half. Otherwise, they moved the ball quite well and didn't seem to be letting up to me.

Look @ the timing. Why didnt the raiders fumble in the fourth quarter, why didn't they punt in the fourth quarter? Because there was a huge sense of urgency & for the first time the game was in question. They had to perform, and they did.

Look @ the play calling. In the fumble drive they were mostly running the ball. It almost seemed like they were going into run mode to shorten the game. Later on in the 4th quarter they were passing more, exposing our major weakness, pass defense.

If they were to keep pressure on, they would have passed more & run less in the 3rd. Their running game was decent @ best. They killed us on screens & the longer passing plays. Throwing the ball, they could do as they pleased.

Cntrygal
09-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Thank goodness Valerie was posting a link... :phew: I was about to yell at her on facebook!

psubills62
09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
It all comes down to how you define 'for real'. If for real mean threat to win SB, I don't think were there yet, and neither are the texans. At best the Texans could be a surprise team like the cards a few years back.

Now if it means playoff bound, then the Texans are a big threat and for real. They are clearly the best team in their weak division & almost a lock for the playoffs while the bills play in a very tough AFC East & will have a very hard time getting in.

Putting 2and2 together, we see that since the Taxans are far more likely to go to the playoffs, where anything could happen, they are a bigger threat to become that Cinderella team & win it all. I still don't like their chances however their chances are higher than the Bills as they stand now.

If the Texans played in the AFC East it might be a different story. Lastly, over the last 15yrs or so, teams with easier schedules have gone to the SB far more often that teams with difficult schedules. What makes it even more interesting is that in that time frame there have been @ least 5 new playoff teams each year! What does this all mean? It means that the NFL is a parity league & the teams with the easiest schedules have a huge advantage. In the end, this all bodes very well for a team like the Texans.
Problem is that power rankings are about how strong a team is. If a team (like the Chiefs last year) has an easy schedule and gets a good record, that doesn't mean they're a good team. I agree that Houston is set up very well to go to the playoffs for now. But based on what has happened, I can't see any reasons why Houston is assumed to be that much better than the Bills.

better days
09-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Look @ the timing. Why didnt the raiders fumble in the fourth quarter, why didn't they punt in the fourth quarter? Because there was a huge sense of urgency & for the first time the game was in question. They had to perform, and they did.

Look @ the play calling. In the fumble drive they were mostly running the ball. It almost seemed like they were going into run mode to shorten the game. Later on in the 4th quarter they were passing more, exposing our major weakness, pass defense.

If they were to keep pressure on, they would have passed more & run less in the 3rd. Their running game was decent @ best. They killed us on screens & the longer passing plays. Throwing the ball, they could do as they pleased.

Well as you said they were trying to eat up the clock by running the ball. That does not mean they let up on the gas. To ask why they did not fumble in the 4th qtr is just silly, as if they wanted to fumble before that.

psubills62
09-20-2011, 11:59 AM

Wow, so you're saying the Raiders fumbled and punted once in the third quarter because they weren't really trying?

You might want to check the play-by-play. The drive where McFadden fumbled had 6 passing plays and 5 running plays. The play where they punted was 2 passes, 1 run.

Extremebillsfan247
09-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Still think the Bills are not for real? lol

Meathead
09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
3-1 after the first qtr of the season is what i predicted and thats what its gonna be. then its 7-5 the rest of the way for 10-6 and a wc. beyoches
ok the good news:

i was wrong about losing to the cheaters this time!!!!! woo frikken hoo! it took a football follies rebound off marcells face to get it done, but whotf cares?!?!?!

ok the bad news:

im feeling a loss to the bengals this week. yep, hate to say it but too many things lining up for the bills so far. this has trap game written all over it. i just hope im wrong again

buck the fatriots

Figster
09-27-2011, 07:30 AM
ok the good news:

i was wrong about losing to the cheaters this time!!!!! woo frikken hoo! it took a football follies rebound off marcells face to get it done, but whotf cares?!?!?!

ok the bad news:

im feeling a loss to the bengals this week. yep, hate to say it but too many things lining up for the bills so far. this has trap game written all over it. i just hope im wrong again

buck the fatriots

It is a trap game , but the Bills aren't going to fall for it...