PDA

View Full Version : Are you people daft? Don't blitz Brady

mr_kotter
09-19-2011, 04:02 PM
I keep seeing posts saying the way to beat Brady is to blitz and pressure him. They are driving me crazy. No, no no no no, do NOT blitz Tom Brady!

Grantland just did an article on how Brady is a "blitz beater".
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6961373/beating-blitz

Tom Brady is known as a short yardage passer. His bread and butter is the screen pass and short slants. Do you know what those plays do? Those plays counter the blitz. Tom Brady is tops in the league at killing you when you blitz.

That 99 yard Brady to Welker TD last week, yes you guessed it: blitz.

Have any of you watched the games where the Jets beat the Pats? They Jets did exactly the opposite to win that game: they did NOT blitz.

Watch a few plays with a four man rush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvx5FA-T0yo&feature=player_detailpage#t=149s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvx5FA-T0yo&feature=player_detailpage#t=440s

If you blitz, especially a 6 man rush, Tom Brady will eat you alive.

Had to get that off my chest, thanks.

The King
09-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Welcome back Kotter.

Philagape
09-19-2011, 04:14 PM
People may respond by pointing to the Super Bowl loss, but the killer element of that Pats team was going deep to Moss. Not so now.

bosshogg21
09-19-2011, 04:23 PM
You need to get pressure by just using your front 4 which we haven't been doing. The giants were able to achieve it inthe sb.

ServoBillieves
09-19-2011, 05:03 PM
That's right, give him all day to throw. Don't blitz him, make our secondary and linebackers guess where the receivers are going so that Brady can make his reads, lead his receivers, et cetera. There's no beating Brady, you can only beat the other 21 players on the field.

ddaryl
09-19-2011, 05:12 PM
If you do not put pressure on Brady he'll pick you apart..

yeah he is also good at the short stuff, but you don't put up 900 yds passing in 2 games dinking and dunking

casdhf
09-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Pressure up the gut is the key.

mr_kotter
09-19-2011, 05:24 PM
That's right, give him all day to throw. Don't blitz him, make our secondary and linebackers guess where the receivers are going so that Brady can make his reads, lead his receivers, et cetera. There's no beating Brady, you can only beat the other 21 players on the field.

I don't care what you do. Just don't make posts telling me that the Bills should to blitz to win this game.

JoeMama
09-19-2011, 05:30 PM
People may respond by pointing to the Super Bowl loss, but the killer element of that Pats team was going deep to Moss. Not so now.

I'll point out the Super Bowl loss. The reason the G-Men had success against Brady is because their front four were good enough to pressure Brady without resorting to the blitz.

Brady's a brilliant QB and he'll beat the blitz almost every time. Honestly, it would just help if he has an off day.

jimbohastle51
09-19-2011, 05:32 PM
you have to blitz him and play man coverage. that is how teams beat the pats. the jets and giants in the super bowl to name 2. you get pass rush (it doesnt have to be sacks it just has to be consistant pressure) and put in on your DB's. now are our DB's good enough to win the matchups? thats the question. if we are physical and get a turnover or 2 it could make for an interesting game.

casdhf
09-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Watch the Giants Super Bowl. It all came up the middle.

mr_kotter
09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Maybe some more 4 man fronts with Williams and Dareus crashing through in the middle?

I wouldn't say don't blitz completely though. I'm not advocating jailbreak blitzes or anything like that, but I think we're going to need to bring a 5th guy on occasion, rotating who that is and being creative with it, because I'm not sold on 4 being up to the task by themselves.....................

Sounds reasonable. Also I think you have to keep a keen eye on screen passes. Pats love screen passes, and get really good yardage from them. (I know this from the pain of watching 100's of them work)

Bone
09-19-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't care what we do as long as we put him on his ass a few times

mikemac2001
09-19-2011, 06:46 PM
U have to pressure him but the gsmeplan can't be.focused.on the blitz

You need different coverages.and.schemes.but what u really need.most is pressure.from front four

Johnny Bugmenot
09-19-2011, 07:09 PM
In a 3-4, that affords you one extra man that can blitz. Williams and Dareus aren't the type that make a lot of sacks. Having a little support from someone like Merriman will be effective as long as the insides and at least one of the two outsides stays home and covers, which this team has done very well.

TigerJ
09-19-2011, 07:19 PM
I don't think the Bills should go crazy with the blitz versus the Patriots, but some modest blitzing at the right time and in the right way may help and not hurt the defense. Specifically, the Bills need to get pressure up the middle. Brady is a pocket passer and when he feels pressure from the outside will step up into the pocket. That's what you want to take away from him. If you rush three linemen, you may try to bring Merriman from the outside a little, but you also want to send one of your inside linebackers up the middle on a delayed blitz once in a while, maybe two or three times during the course of a drive, so I'm definitely not talking every play here.

psubills62
09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Pressure isn't the same thing as blitzing. We need the former...the latter is one way to get the former and can be effective at times. However, as Icky said before...blitzing Brady isn't generally the best way to attack him.

Goobylal
09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Blitz him, knock him down, hit him late, tell him Giselle's face looks like a man's...whatever it takes.

Syderick
09-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Pressure Brady with 4 men, and you've got a shot

YardRat
09-19-2011, 08:05 PM
This game is the front four's to win or lose.

I'm certainly not advocating blitzing, but don't think for a second that the Pats coaching staff aren't well aware of the capability of Dareus and Williams.

Wouldn't mind seeing some creative four man rushes, though, in good spots...bull up the middle, drop the ends into short zones, bring some speed from the outside.

better days
09-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Maybe some more 4 man fronts with Williams and Dareus crashing through in the middle?

I wouldn't say don't blitz completely though. I'm not advocating jailbreak blitzes or anything like that, but I think we're going to need to bring a 5th guy on occasion, rotating who that is and being creative with it, because I'm not sold on 4 being up to the task by themselves.....................

That is my thought exactly. The Bills will need an extra rusher to get to Brady. They can't just rush 4 all game long & not expect Brady to pick them apart.

I would rather take my chances Brady hits on a big play on occasion than have him throw for over 500 yds because he has all day to throw.

Oaf
09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
The problem with blitzing is.. we don't get to the QB even when we do. Even more so when playing the Pats.

The new look D hasn't shown much pass rush to this point, with our best rusher looking like, gulp, Kelsay?

better days
09-19-2011, 08:33 PM
The problem with blitzing is.. we don't get to the QB even when we do. Even more so when playing the Pats.

The new look D hasn't shown much pass rush to this point, with our best rusher looking like, gulp, Kelsay?

Well, the Bills have not really brought Merriman into play yet. My guess is they were saving him for the Pats* & did not want to give Billy boy any film to study.

The Bills have blitzed very little up to this point & when they have, it was a safety. I think the Bills will show something entirely different Sunday than we have seen so far this year. Kelsay has played pretty well this year IMO as well. Looks like the Bills knew what they were doing when they resigned him.

mr_kotter
09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Well, the Bills have not really brought Merriman into play yet. My guess is they were saving him for the Pats* & did not want to give Billy boy any film to study.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

better days
09-19-2011, 10:05 PM
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Really, explain that to me. Merriman has not blitzed at all this year.

Stewie
09-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Rush either 2 or 9 on every play. That'll confuse him.

Mr. Miyagi
09-19-2011, 10:17 PM
I keep seeing posts saying the way to beat Brady is to blitz and pressure him. They are driving me crazy. No, no no no no, do NOT blitz Tom Brady!

Grantland just did an article on how Brady is a "blitz beater".
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6961373/beating-blitz

Tom Brady is known as a short yardage passer. His bread and butter is the screen pass and short slants. Do you know what those plays do? Those plays counter the blitz. Tom Brady is tops in the league at killing you when you blitz.

That 99 yard Brady to Welker TD last week, yes you guessed it: blitz.

Have any of you watched the games where the Jets beat the Pats? They Jets did exactly the opposite to win that game: they did NOT blitz.

Watch a few plays with a four man rush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvx5FA-T0yo&feature=player_detailpage#t=149s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvx5FA-T0yo&feature=player_detailpage#t=440s

If you blitz, especially a 6 man rush, Tom Brady will eat you alive.

Had to get that off my chest, thanks.
LOL You're telling us as if we were going out on the field to play against Brady or something.

Dude, we just watch them on TV. Did you know that?

Beebe's Kid
09-19-2011, 11:08 PM
A rush up the middle is the end of the story.

To say not to rush Brady is preposterous. We have tried that (see Jaruon, Dick: Bend don't break.)

If you give Brady 10 seconds to make his "read," if you can even call it that after having what seems to be an infinite time in the pocket; you will just be another notch of his Gucci belt.

The problem is that the Pats have a hell of an oline in front of Brady, and you'll not get to him from the side. He has safety valves for all of that, and unless you're coming through the line with the ball, you're done.

The Pats offense was built by a coach who was a Super Bowl winning DC. It is made with the idea of thwarting your best defensive attempts. It is very rare that a team is going to be able to force enough CONSISTENT pressure with 4 guys to change the game.

You have to be better than they are.

Our best bet against the Patriots is to try to score 60 points. There is no amount of defensive wizardry, unless Wannstache has been sandbagging the first two weeks, that will allow us to play a conservative game and stop Brady.

We are going to be relying on our gunslinger.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2011, 12:04 AM
The way to beat the Patriots is to generate pressure with the front four and smash Brady in the mouth a few times. Easier said than done though.

Billz_fan
09-20-2011, 02:41 AM
The Lions defense did a nice job of pressuring Brady and disrupting the Pat's offense in there preseason game.

TMu11
09-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Blitz all 11 every play until Brady has a career ending injury. Take the loss and regroup for the second matchup of the season.

Stewie
09-20-2011, 06:04 AM
The way to beat the patriots is to score more points than they do.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
09-20-2011, 06:33 AM
We could just outscore them.

mysticsoto
09-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Really, explain that to me. Merriman has not blitzed at all this year.

I'm going to guess that our OLBs have been playing more contain in the 1st 2 games on purpose to stop the run. If (a very big if) that is true, then this is the game to bust out and go after Brady non-stop. Brady will beat us with the pass - so this game we want to do the opposite and make them beat us with the run. Everybody up front needs to attack Brady. LBs need to cover the short slants and middle. Secondary may need to play zone, maybe get lucky by jumping some routes from time to time and definitely hope that the pass rush gets there. If not, Brady will toast the secondary regardless...

Ingtar33
09-20-2011, 08:37 AM

the giants were rushing just 4 all game. their D-line ate the pats line alive that game. all that pressure in the superbowl came with almost zero blitzing.

and by the way, in a 3-4, sending 1 linebacker isn't blitzing.

Pinkerton Security
09-20-2011, 08:52 AM
U have to pressure him but the gsmeplan can't be.focused.on the blitz

You need different coverages.and.schemes.but what u really need.most is pressure.from front four

my thoughts exactly. mix up coverage, mix in some blitzes.

Philagape
09-20-2011, 09:45 AM
the giants were rushing just 4 all game. their D-line ate the pats line alive that game. all that pressure in the superbowl came with almost zero blitzing.

and by the way, in a 3-4, sending 1 linebacker isn't blitzing.

Yes, which just backs up the OP, which I agree with.
The point was that some people want nothing but to put as much pressure as possible. But a short, quick passing game run by the best QB beats that more than a vertical game does.

mr_kotter
09-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Ya I entirely forgot about that Giants game.

I think Darius and Williams may have the speed to pressure Brady on their own.

better days
09-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Yes, which just backs up the OP, which I agree with.
The point was that some people want nothing but to put as much pressure as possible. But a short, quick passing game run by the best QB beats that more than a vertical game does.

Well, the only way to beat Brady is to put on as much pressure as possible. That has been proven.

Oaf
09-20-2011, 02:15 PM
The way to beat the patriots is to score more points than they do.
You can't "just outscore" the Patriots without having a QB as consistent Brady. Which we don't (no one does). So you need to bring his consistency down forcibly to where we're at.

Philagape
09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Well, the only way to beat Brady is to put on as much pressure as possible. That has been proven.

And this is the reason I posted in the first place, and the point of the thread.
I was thinking, maybe I was a bit premature to put that pre-emptive straw man out there, that zoners pleasantly surprised me by not biting, but lo and behold, here you are, and it's hardly a surprise.

mr_kotter
09-20-2011, 04:06 PM
And this is the reason I posted in the first place, and the point of the thread.
I was thinking, maybe I was a bit premature to put that pre-emptive straw man out there, that zoners pleasantly surprised me by not biting, but lo and behold, here you are, and it's hardly a surprise.

I'm not on this forum a lot. But all forums have their idiots. Am I to presume that better days is the Billzone village idiot? He's already posted that unbelievably dumb conspiracy about Merriman on page one.

Philagape
09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm not on this forum a lot. But all forums have their idiots. Am I to presume that better days is the Billzone village idiot? He's already posted that unbelievable dumb conspiracy about Merriman page one.

I won't call people names. You can judge for yourself.

better days
09-20-2011, 04:12 PM

So are you saying you are Mr Kotter? that is what this post sounds like.

Philagape
09-20-2011, 04:13 PM
So are you saying you are Mr Kotter? that is what this post sounds like.

It is possible to discern the points of threads without starting them.

better days
09-20-2011, 04:16 PM
It is possible to discern the points of threads without starting them.

You MESSED UP you said "I put the straw man out there" NOT "mr kotter put the straw man out there." I have LITTLE doubt you are mr kotter.

Jan Reimers
09-20-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm not on this forum a lot. But all forums have their idiots. Am I to presume that better days is the Billzone village idiot? He's already posted that unbelievably dumb conspiracy about Merriman on page one.
Better days is a great, long term Bills' fan, and a very good poster.

What is really dumb is the notion that you can't blitz Brady, and the use of the word "daft."

Philagape
09-20-2011, 04:21 PM
You MESSED UP you said "I put the straw man out there" NOT "mr kotter put the straw man out there." I have LITTLE doubt you are mr kotter.

I put the straw man out there in my first post in this thread, #3.
I'm trying to decide what's more entertaining, if you're joking or if you're serious.

mr_kotter
09-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Better days is a great, long term Bills' fan, and a very good poster.

What is really dumb is the notion that you can't blitz Brady, and the use of the word "daft."

I tried to provide good evidence for my claim. I haven't seen much footage of a blitz working on the guy. I've seen lots of footage of him scoring lots of points on blitzing D's.

Jan Reimers
09-20-2011, 04:32 PM
I tried to provide good evidence for my claim. I haven't seen much footage of a blitz working on the guy. I've seen lots of footage of him scoring lots of points on blitzing D's.
You may be right, but you do need to pressure Brady, or he will kill you. We have, so far, put no pressure on Cassil or Campbell with a straight four man rush. Therefore, I think some blitzes might be in order Sunday.

better days
09-20-2011, 04:45 PM

Well as I said before, The Bills did not use Merriman to rush the passer at all the 1st two games.

We will see if he is used to rush Brady Sunday. If not then you can call it a dumb conspiracy, but I am betting the Bills will have Merriman rush Brady on Sunday if he is healthy.

better days
09-20-2011, 05:08 PM

I have seen even more footage of Brady scoring lots of points when he was not pressured.

Ickybaluky
09-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Eearly in the 2009 season when he was still jittery while coming back from his knee injury he was blitzed with some effectiveness. That is about the only time in his career the blitz has been a good tool to use against the guy.

Other than that? No, the stats say the blitz won't help. If you look at the numbers for any of the top QB (Rodgers, Manning, Brady, etc.), they generally have enough experience to diagnose the blitz and adjust. That creates a problem for the defense, because you give up big plays when blitzing. You may force an incompletion or two, but the old saying is "live by the blitz, die by the blitz".

I do think teams have to be creative disguising coverage and with who they bring. You need to make it harder for him to figure out his pre-snap reads so he takes longer to deliver the ball. However, rushing more than 4 is usually a death sentence.

Turf
09-20-2011, 11:05 PM
I still say blitz him and jump the short route initially. Then you mix it up afterwords. Make the **********s life miserable.

Extremebillsfan247
09-21-2011, 05:34 AM
The only way to beat Brady is to get him on the run. If he sits in the pocket, your doomed. You don't have to blitz on every down. But you do have to let him know your not just going to sit back and wait for him to make a mistake. That doesn't work against QB's of his caliber.

better days
09-21-2011, 08:51 AM
The only way to beat Brady is to get him on the run. If he sits in the pocket, your doomed. You don't have to blitz on every down. But you do have to let him know your not just going to sit back and wait for him to make a mistake. That doesn't work against QB's of his caliber.

Exactly. Get him looking for the blitz, then drop into coverage, he will hurry his throws if he thinks the Blitz is coming.