PDA

View Full Version : The Totally Scientific Power Rankings

Dujek
09-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Ladies and gentlemen,

I give to you, the one and only, Totally Scientific Power Rankings.

Week 2 (http://tspowerrankings.blogspot.com/2011/09/totally-scientific-power-rankings-week_20.html)

Cntrygal
09-20-2011, 08:16 AM
:bravo:

better days
09-20-2011, 08:16 AM
I disagree with the Texans being that high. They really have not beaten anyone yet & should be no higher than #8.

Dujek
09-20-2011, 08:19 AM
It's science. Don't argue with science.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I disagree with the Texans being that high. They really have not beaten anyone yet & should be no higher than #8.
Bah, look at their division: Indianapolis (neutered without Manning), Tennessee (rebuilding) and Jacksonville (in fire-sale mode). They're practically a lock for the division title-- that division is worse than the West Divisions, and that's saying a lot.

Dujek
09-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Bah, look at their division: Indianapolis (neutered without Manning), Tennessee (rebuilding) and Jacksonville (in fire-sale mode). They're practically a lock for the division title-- that division is worse than the West Divisions, and that's saying a lot.

If it plays out that way they'll actually fall in the rankings, because the rest of the teams in your division sucking affects your strength of schedule which cheapens the wins, according to science.

justasportsfan
09-20-2011, 10:06 AM
The Patriots won't be no.1 by next week and thats my scientific prediction.

Dujek
09-20-2011, 10:13 AM
The Patriots won't be no.1 by next week and thats my scientific prediction.

I hope you're right.

I think the Bills can go toe to toe with them, and I can see another very high scoring game. Not certain that it'll end up in a Bills win, but we've got more of a chance than we've had in a loooooooooong time.

mrbojanglezs
09-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Billsology

justasportsfan
09-20-2011, 10:19 AM
I hope you're right.

I think the Bills can go toe to toe with them, and I can see another very high scoring game. Not certain that it'll end up in a Bills win, but we've got more of a chance than we've had in a loooooooooong time.

If it were the pats from when they had MOss, I'd be very confident. The problem is the Pats switched the O to using TE's more instead of guys like Moss which is a bad matchup for us.

ParanoidAndroid
09-20-2011, 11:25 AM
The key is going to be the front 4..... if they can't collapse the pocket, it's going to be a long day. The bills will be in the nickel most of the game.

better days
09-20-2011, 11:35 AM
If it were the pats from when they had MOss, I'd be very confident. The problem is the Pats switched the O to using TE's more instead of guys like Moss which is a bad matchup for us.

Well Hernandez will be out which helps.

better days
09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
I hope you're right.

If the Bills somehow pull off this upset, they will be 3-0 with the next game at Cincinnati. Are playoffs a possibility? I think so. It is a longshot but as you said 1st time in a looooooooong time there was any chance of that.

Dujek
09-21-2011, 06:08 AM
If the Bills somehow pull off this upset, they will be 3-0 with the next game at Cincinnati. Are playoffs a possibility? I think so. It is a longshot but as you said 1st time in a looooooooong time there was any chance of that.

If both streaks continue then the Bills will be 3-1. I hope the Bills can break the streak against the Pats, and then keep what would be the longest streak in the league going against the Bengals.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-21-2011, 08:44 AM
If it plays out that way they'll actually fall in the rankings, because the rest of the teams in your division sucking affects your strength of schedule which cheapens the wins, according to science.
But it also means more wins, which obviously pushes them up. So, perhaps on tiebreakers they'll lose ground, but it's more than made up for by the increased number of wins.

better days
09-21-2011, 08:46 AM
But it also means more wins, which obviously pushes them up. So, perhaps on tiebreakers they'll lose ground, but it's more than made up for by the increased number of wins.

Good point.

Dujek
09-21-2011, 09:41 AM

Possibly, but not necessarily. There is a formula, and it involves net yardage, net points, turnovers, strength of schedule and where your opponent is ranked week on week (so if you beat the #1 team you get more points than if you beat the #32 team). It also includes a SoS modifier, which is retroactive (ie if you get loads of points for beating a team that is #1, but they then go on a losing streak, those point totals decrease).

At the end of the day, if they are 3 or 4 wins ahead of someone, then they will be ahead of them in the rankings. 1 or 2 wins can easily get flipped around if they are "cheap" wins.

That's why I say it's science. Although perhaps it's more like alchemy...

madness
09-21-2011, 11:40 AM

I sense another big game for B. Scott.

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2011, 12:28 PM
If the Bills win this game I just may run down my street naked waving a Bills jersey in the air.

justasportsfan
09-21-2011, 12:34 PM
I sense another big game for B. Scott.

I hope so. Between Welker and thier TE's, he will have his hands full. The Pats' running game isn't as scary as the raiders so hopefully 4 guys should be enough to contain their run game.

Wilson and McKelvin can't play the way they did vs. the raiders either. We need every db's to keep their passing game in check.

YardRat
09-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Possibly, but not necessarily. There is a formula, and it involves net yardage, net points, turnovers, strength of schedule and where your opponent is ranked week on week (so if you beat the #1 team you get more points than if you beat the #32 team). It also includes a SoS modifier, which is retroactive (ie if you get loads of points for beating a team that is #1, but they then go on a losing streak, those point totals decrease).

At the end of the day, if they are 3 or 4 wins ahead of someone, then they will be ahead of them in the rankings. 1 or 2 wins can easily get flipped around if they are "cheap" wins.

That's why I say it's science. Although perhaps it's more like alchemy...

Don't forget pi. Nothing is truly scientific without pi.

Dujek
09-22-2011, 03:27 AM
Don't forget pi. Nothing is truly scientific without pi.

In my case it probably involves an over-reliance on pie.