PDA

View Full Version : Helmet to Helmet

Figster
09-20-2011, 08:49 AM
This helmet to helmet rule is getting way out of hand and in my opinion its practically impossible in some instances to make a play without going helmet to helmet. When a player goes to make a tackle at extremely high speeds its hard for a player to make sure his head isn't in the way. Tackles are made with shoulders and arms so its inevitable the head becomes a problem on a high tackle. I'm not sure what officials are expecting a defensive player to do and I'm seeing what should be called a normal hit/tackle get called for a penalty more often then not. QB's can't be hit low, yet when the defense goes high on the QB it increases the chance of helmet to helmet.

I've mentioned ways to increase the protection of the helmet in the past by taking the stripes down the center and the teams logo and making them elevated above the hard shell of the helmet with a softer material which would cushion the impact on contact. Whats causing most of the problem is the hard shell of the helmet connecting with the hard shell of another helmet causing a whiplash affect. The inside padding does very little to prevent this, padding on the outside on the other hand would cut down the impact/whiplash considerably.

Hard shelled helmets with no outside protection is the biggest cause of head injury in my opinion and a softer helmet on the outside will go a long way in eliminating the problem.

OpIv37
09-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I generally agree that the NFL is going too far with the helmet-to-helmet hits, but if you're talking about the hit on Maclin, it was the right call. The Atlanta CB (Robinson, I think) left his feet with his head down and led with the top of his helmet. He made no effort to see what he was hitting. It's exactly the kind of dangerous play that should be prevented.

Night Train
09-20-2011, 09:48 AM
I was waiting for the Eagles OT to be flagged, for running into his own QB (Vick) by accident. :rolleyes:

Figster
09-20-2011, 09:48 AM
I generally agree that the NFL is going too far with the helmet-to-helmet hits, but if you're talking about the hit on Maclin, it was the right call. The Atlanta CB (Robinson, I think) left his feet with his head down and led with the top of his helmet. He made no effort to see what he was hitting. It's exactly the kind of dangerous play that should be prevented.

Talking more in general OpIv, in my opinion this helmet to helmet rule gives the offense an unfair advantage. RB's lead with their head, hell, everyone leads with their head and unless you want to cut the heads off the players this problem will never go away.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Take away the helmets and you'd have a safer game with less concussions.

No one would lead with their head or launch themselves like a missile at people without basically a weapon on their head.

Or go back to the old school leather helmets.

Ingtar33
09-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Robinson might get a suspension for that hit. that was pretty bad. That was a good example of a dangerous hit. The one where the raiders were flagged for hitting Stevie Johnson was an example of pure BS. The defender couldn't have played better defense. Pure crap.

I'm not mad about the bills catching that break. But i just know that rule is going to bite us too at some point in the season and i'll be out of my mind pissed off when it happens.

Figster
09-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Robinson might get a suspension for that hit. that was pretty bad. That was a good example of a dangerous hit. The one where the raiders were flagged for hitting Stevie Johnson was an example of pure BS. The defender couldn't have played better defense. Pure crap.

I'm not mad about the bills catching that break. But i just know that rule is going to bite us too at some point in the season and i'll be out of my mind pissed off when it happens.

In my opinion there is a good possibility the defender meant to make a shoulder tackle but because of the speed and inability to precisely time the hit/placement the players ended up going helmet to helmet. Nobody with any common sense wants to cost their team 15 yards.(or get fined/suspended)

DraftBoy
09-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Robinson got fined 40K, he got off easy.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2011, 11:17 AM
In my opinion there is a good possibility the defender meant to make a shoulder tackle but because of the speed and inability to precisely time the hit/placement the players ended up going helmet to helmet. Nobody with any common sense wants to cost their team 15 yards.(or get fined/suspended)

Unless your name is James Harrison.

You forgot that disclaimer.

cocamide
09-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Yeah, that was completely weak. I guess the safety's supposed to let the player catch the ball and then tap him while he's on the ground. Now I understand Whitner's approach to the game. He was just playing within the rules!