PDA

View Full Version : Fitzpatrick's Stats

SeatownBillsFan21
09-20-2011, 02:47 PM
30 TD to

16 int

3427 yds

6-9 record as the starter

My question is this do you think we should lock him up long term or just offer a contract around 2-3 yrs rather than say a 7 year deal and not draft a top 3 QB in this years draft? Has he shown us enough in the last 15 games to say he's our guy or not? I for one want the guy to be our guy but i have something in the back of my mind telling me he's not our guy. Maybe this is just due to being a Bills fan and knowing our luck with QB's since the Kelly years.

Ed
09-20-2011, 02:53 PM
30 TD to

16 int

3427 yds

My question is this do you think we should lock him up long term or just offer a contract around 2-3 yrs rather than say a 7 year deal and not draft a top 3 QB in this years draft? Has he shown us enough in the last 15 games to say he's our guy or not? I for one want the guy to be our guy but i have something in the back of my mind telling me he's not our guy. Maybe this is just due to being a Bills fan and knowing our luck with QB's since the Kelly years.
I don't think he would take a 2-3 year deal, and the way we're playing we're not going to have a shot at a top 3 qb.

jamze132
09-20-2011, 03:00 PM
He would definitely take a 3 year deal, he's never had one before and he loves Buffalo. He's a smart guy, he knows how old he is. 3/$21M should get it done.

Forward_Lateral
09-20-2011, 03:10 PM
They (The Bills) have to take a chance and give him a multi-year deal. He's the best QB this team has had since Bledsoe, and may even prove to be better than he was when he was here.

Ickybaluky
09-20-2011, 03:16 PM
He would definitely take a 3 year deal, he's never had one before and he loves Buffalo. He's a smart guy, he knows how old he is. 3/$21M should get it done.

His agent thinks you are delusional. 3/$21M? That is barely over backup money.

I think the baseline for him are the Matt Cassel/Kevin Kolb deals, and Fitzpatrick has more of a track record than both of them. 6 Yrs/$65M-$70M, $20M-$25M guaranteed. I can't see him taking less than that. Top QB are getting $20M per.

wmoz11
09-20-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm thinking 5 years, 50M with 22M guaranteed.

So, pretty much right in line with Icky.

justasportsfan
09-20-2011, 03:32 PM

I think the baseline for him are the Matt Cassel/Kevin Kolb deals, and Fitzpatrick has more of a track record than both of them. 6 Yrs/$65M-$70M, $20M-$25M guaranteed. I can't see him taking less than that. Top QB are getting $20M per.
they would have to wait til end of the season for him to get that kind of $

better days
09-20-2011, 03:37 PM

I would be just fine with that myself. I have been saying the Bills can win with Fitz at QB. I would like to see them draft a QB to develop behind him. Brown & Thigpen don't do it for me.

Ickybaluky
09-20-2011, 03:48 PM
they would have to wait til end of the season for him to get that kind of $

Yeah, I think they want to mitigate the risk. Tough call, though. If he keeps playing at a high level his price goes up, and he has free agency looming.

With the new deals signed by Brady, Manning, Vick and Brees, you are looking at a franchise tag number of $20M next year if you want to keep him from FA, or letting him go to the market.

Of course, if his play levels off to be closer to his prior career numbers, then his price will probably be cheaper. If he has a good year, then it will cost more. That is a tough call.

The one thing that is certain is that he is going to want to get paid comparable to market. This will probably be his one bite at the apple, and he has worked hard for it.

Remember, too, the cap is going to grow a lot starting in 2014, with new TV money kicking in. Both teams and agents know that, which is why you see so many big deals.

mysticsoto
09-20-2011, 04:01 PM
At this point, the Bills have no choice but to wait it out. He will likely want money commensurate with the level he is currently playing. But the Bills would be jumping the gun if they gave him that kind of money simply after 2 games. As such, if he goes through the season and continues, he deserves it and gets it anyway. If he tails off, the Bills have ammunition to lower the numbers. But either way, they have to wait it out.

I don't think the same situation exists for FJ though - but it looks like the Bills don't want to pay him and simply want CJ to step it up. Sigh...

Philagape
09-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Why do some people talk like Fitz is getting old?

He's 28. Just entering his prime. He can play well for 6-7 more years, so a deal closer to that should be expected.

TacklingDummy
09-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Cut Parrish and McToast, save their money and give it to Fitz.

better days
09-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Why do some people talk like Fitz is getting old?

He's 28. Just entering his prime. He can play well for 6-7 more years, so a deal closer to that should be expected.

I agree with you, but Nix & Gailey have both said that Fitz is getting old. That is where that comes from.

They said they can win with Fitz but if a franchise type QB is there in the draft, they have to take him because of Fitz's age.

YardRat
09-20-2011, 07:00 PM
He won't take a 2-3 year deal, plain and simple. 5 or 6 at about 10 per sounds about right to me also. He's already said he can't see himself anywhere else but Buffalo and how he feels it's a perfect fit, so you know he wants to stay. I don't think he's looking to set any salary records either, so just throw a fair, market-value offer on the table.

Philagape
09-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Kelsay is three years older than Fitz, didn't stop him from getting paid

The Jokeman
09-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Kelsay is three years older than Fitz, didn't stop him from getting paid
Yet Kelsay has next to no one behind him on the depth chart. While Thigpen did play horrible in the preseason he still has two years left on his deal and we all know what he did in KC with Gailey. I think the Bills are going to play it safe with Fitz and leave talks until Week 12 or so to see just how good/bad he really is. As if he can prove to be a winner/better than average than we'll look to lock him up otherwise look for us to look for us to let him be an average QB elsewhere and see us use a first round pick like Landry Jones or Ryan Tannehill with a top 20 pick in next year's draft.

zone
09-20-2011, 08:05 PM
If Fitz beats the Pat's this week I say we lock him up for the rest of his career. How bad has this QB carousel been since Kelly has been gone?

I really can't stand to see another 10 years of that, because no matter what it's all a dice roll. Fitz is showing he was groomed well and has turned into a starter than can win games in this league. We need him to continue advancing.

RoscoeMagic
09-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Lock him up! We have money. We will still have money.

Philagape
09-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Yet Kelsay has next to no one behind him on the depth chart. While Thigpen did play horrible in the preseason he still has two years left on his deal and we all know what he did in KC with Gailey. I think the Bills are going to play it safe with Fitz and leave talks until Week 12 or so to see just how good/bad he really is. As if he can prove to be a winner/better than average than we'll look to lock him up otherwise look for us to look for us to let him be an average QB elsewhere and see us use a first round pick like Landry Jones or Ryan Tannehill with a top 20 pick in next year's draft.

Thigpen is irrelevant, and the Bills have reportedly already made an offer

SeatownBillsFan21
09-21-2011, 01:57 AM
He won't take a 2-3 year deal, plain and simple. 5 or 6 at about 10 per sounds about right to me also. He's already said he can't see himself anywhere else but Buffalo and how he feels it's a perfect fit, so you know he wants to stay. I don't think he's looking to set any salary records either, so just throw a fair, market-value offer on the table.

I think your right but do you think if he hit the open market he would get what hes asking or looking for?

kishoph
09-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Word is that there's an offer on the table, can FITZ's side be waiting to see the outcome of this Sunday to make a move. A big game and victory over the Pats this week could escalate any offer or demand..

YardRat
09-21-2011, 06:01 AM
I think your right but do you think if he hit the open market he would get what hes asking or looking for?

I don't know what he's looking for, so it's hard to say.

I do think that the rookie salary cap is going to help drive down the market a little bit...teams will opt to take their chances on a first-rounder instead of throwing around Brady/Vick/Manning type contracts.

better days
09-21-2011, 08:21 AM
I don't know what he's looking for, so it's hard to say.

I do think that the rookie salary cap is going to help drive down the market a little bit...teams will opt to take their chances on a first-rounder instead of throwing around Brady/Vick/Manning type contracts.

The problem with a draft pick is if Fitz & the team continue to play well, the Bills will have to settle for a lesser QB prospect to develop over time because they will be drafting to low to get one of the top prospects.

trapezeus
09-21-2011, 08:30 AM
bills could call the sabrse and get a lesson on front loading deals so if it doesn't pan out, there is very little cash to pay on the backend where you are beginning to lose your faith in the guy.

he needs a long term contract. i think the bills need him in their stable through his playign days. The guy is bright and gets it done with limited skill. one day he'll have less, but he'll be able to impart that on someone with more skill.

methos4ever
09-21-2011, 08:36 AM
With the way he's playing, his age and the importance to the team, I think he'll make between Schaub and Kolb money. I think they'll pay him enough that he'd be the set starter for at least another 2-3 years and can transition to a guy (if needed) down the road...

better days
09-21-2011, 08:43 AM
bills could call the sabrse and get a lesson on front loading deals so if it doesn't pan out, there is very little cash to pay on the backend where you are beginning to lose your faith in the guy.

he needs a long term contract. i think the bills need him in their stable through his playign days. The guy is bright and gets it done with limited skill. one day he'll have less, but he'll be able to impart that on someone with more skill.

The problem with that is players like Briggs in Chicago forget they were paid on the front end & want to be paid again well before the contract is over.

psubills62
09-21-2011, 09:00 AM

The Bills are notorious for front-loading contracts. Just as one example, why do you think Evans got a contract that paid him 9 mil per year, but was making only 4.5 per year in salaries and bonuses in the last two years of it (four year contract)? Bills almost always front-load contracts.

SeatownBillsFan21
09-21-2011, 02:35 PM
The problem with that is players like Briggs in Chicago forget they were paid on the front end & want to be paid again well before the contract is over.

Exactly what i was just thinking!

acehole
09-21-2011, 06:07 PM
If fitz beat the Pats he deserves bank!

30 TD to

16 int

3427 yds

BillsFever21
09-21-2011, 09:40 PM
30 TD to

16 int

3427 yds

I don't think it would take a 7 year deal to sign him. I'd venture to say probably a 4 year deal for around 10 million a year with 15-20 guaranteed would do it and I wouldn't go any further then that.

He's playing great football right now but he doesn't have the pedigree in the extended past to prove he can do it for years to come to warrant more years or a higher salary then that. I think he would be more then satisfied with a deal of that type.

In the meantime I wouldn't hesitate to draft a QB that you think could be your franchise guy for the next 10 years or so in the first round if one came up or at the very least I would be drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd round to try and develop for his departure a few years later.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2011, 09:53 PM
If I'm Fitz I don't even talk to the Bills about contract or entertain their offers til the season is basically over. At this point all he's gonna do is make his dollars go up. And if he can put together his last 15 games as a full season, he's gonna make A LOT of bank.

He and his agent should fully realize that if he can keep playing at the level he's shown here he's worth upwards of 12 million a year on the open market.

Why take a 3-5 year deal now worth 7ish per?

Das_Bills
09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't think he would take a 2-3 year deal, and the way we're playing we're not going to have a shot at a top 3 qb.

I like the way that sounds, but we will need a future QB that Fitz can mentor.