PDA

View Full Version : Fred Jackson is "Annoyed"

Lexwhat
09-21-2011, 07:05 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Fred Jackson (http://www.nfl.com/players/fredjackson/profile?id=JAC173789) has the respect of his Buffalo Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) teammates, and the production to show he deserves to be regarded as a top-tiered NFL running back.

The only thing missing Jackson told The Associated Press on Wednesday that's left him "annoyed" is a new contract to go with it.

Having helped Buffalo get off to a 2-0 start, the only place the NFL's leading rusher's not making forward progress is with the front office. Jackson says he's gotten nowhere in a bid to renegotiate the final two years left on a contract set to pay him a $1.75 million base salary this season.

"We've approached them, and it's not gone the way we would've liked it to," Jackson told The Associated Press prior to practice Wednesday. "I'm annoyed by it. I've been playing at a high level for three straight years now. I would like something to be done about it this year. I want something done that's fair for myself and the team."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82272ed9/article/jackson-wants-contract-renegotiation-talks-to-move-forward?module=HP11_headline_stack

X-Era
09-21-2011, 07:06 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Fred Jackson (http://www.nfl.com/players/fredjackson/profile?id=JAC173789) has the respect of his Buffalo Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) teammates, and the production to show he deserves to be regarded as a top-tiered NFL running back.

The only thing missing Jackson told The Associated Press on Wednesday that's left him "annoyed" is a new contract to go with it.

Having helped Buffalo get off to a 2-0 start, the only place the NFL's leading rusher's not making forward progress is with the front office. Jackson says he's gotten nowhere in a bid to renegotiate the final two years left on a contract set to pay him a $1.75 million base salary this season.

"We've approached them, and it's not gone the way we would've liked it to," Jackson told The Associated Press prior to practice Wednesday. "I'm annoyed by it. I've been playing at a high level for three straight years now. I would like something to be done about it this year. I want something done that's fair for myself and the team."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82272ed9/article/jackson-wants-contract-renegotiation-talks-to-move-forward?module=HP11_headline_stackThe guy is going to talk himself right off the team.

He's right, but if he doesn't shut up the Bills will move him. They hate stuff like this.

That said, just pay the damn guy, we don't need the distraction.

Mr. Miyagi
09-21-2011, 07:10 PM
PAY THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's gather up money and put up a billboard in Buffalo.

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Freddy needs to chill the **** out and give Buddy some time to give him a contract. what the **** man.

X-Era
09-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I hope the Bills realize they can't build a playoff team and use guys they already have without paying them for their play.

Mad Max
09-21-2011, 07:17 PM
The guy is going to talk himself right off the team.

He's right, but if he doesn't shut up the Bills will move him. They hate stuff like this.

That said, just pay the damn guy, we don't need the distraction.

I hope they work something out prior to training camp. If they don't there's approximately a 100% probability that FreJack holds out.

X-Era
09-21-2011, 07:18 PM
I hope they work something out prior to training camp. If they don't there's approximately a 100% probability that FreJack holds out.If he doesn't shut up, he may get traded this year. It wouldn't surprise me.

Mad Max
09-21-2011, 07:23 PM
If he doesn't shut up, he may get traded this year. It wouldn't surprise me.

That would be shocking to me. It would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

They're just now after what feels like an eternity gaining a little team momentum, it would be beyond stupid for them to destroy that momentum by trading one of their key cogs on O. No matter how squeaky that cog may currently be.

X-Era
09-21-2011, 07:25 PM
That would be shocking to me. It would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

They're just now after what feels like an eternity gaining a little team momentum, it would be beyond stupid for them to destroy that momentum by trading one of their key cogs on O. No matter how squeaky that cog may currently be.Jason Peters

clumping platelets
09-21-2011, 07:28 PM
1-800-cry-baby

Mad Max
09-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Jason Peters

Huge difference in situations IMO.

1.) Peters was looking to get paid premier young LT money...huge bank. Fred is looking for fair RB money...a fraction of the amount Peters was due. Much smaller pill to swallow financially.

2.) Peters as good as he was (arguably) was NOT ~40% of the offense of the team.

Oaf
09-21-2011, 07:35 PM
National articles have a propensity to overdraw on these sort of statements. Unless you hear the quote yourself on local news, etc don't draw any conclusions. I don't see it affecting production or the morale of the team.

Besides, if anyone was underpaid, even from the moment he signed his extension, it was Jackson.

X-Era
09-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Huge difference in situations IMO.

1.) Peters was looking to get paid premier young LT money...huge bank. Fred is looking for fair RB money...a fraction of the amount Peters was due. Much smaller pill to swallow financially.

2.) Peters as good as he was (arguably) was NOT ~40% of the offense of the team.I understand the situations are different. Put it this way, when was the last time a Bills player publicly complained about his contract and then the Bills paid him?

That's not our style. In fact, our style is when the player goes public with complaints (not always about money) we sometimes move them or let them go.

Eric Moulds
Willis McGahee
Jason Peters

If memory serves each went public with complaints. We seem to especially hate that.

THATHURMANATOR
09-21-2011, 07:40 PM
If he doesn't shut up, he may get traded this year. It wouldn't surprise me.
Traded THIS YEAR????

During the season? I would be astounded by that..

X-Era
09-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Traded THIS YEAR????

During the season? I would be astounded by that..Depends on how loud he gets. It wouldn't shock me.

Mad Max
09-21-2011, 07:45 PM
I understand the situations are different. Put it this way, when was the last time a Bills player publicly complained about his contract and then the Bills paid him?

That's not our style. In fact, our style is when the player goes public with complaints (not always about money) we sometimes move them or let them go.

Eric Moulds
Willis McGahee
Jason Peters

If memory serves each went public with complaints. We seem to especially hate that.
We'll see. I'm watching the replay right now. Without Fred we lose this game...badly. It would be beyond bad business to move him.

Winning makes more money than losing (tickets, merch, etc) so why they would not make this relatively small investment to keep the momentum going just does not compute.

Lexwhat
09-21-2011, 07:46 PM
I understand the situations are different. Put it this way, when was the last time a Bills player publicly complained about his contract and then the Bills paid him?

When is the last time the Bills even had a player worth re-signing?

Lexwhat
09-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Kyle Williams is the only one I can think of.

X-Era
09-21-2011, 07:48 PM
We'll see. I'm watching the replay right now. Without Fred we lose this game...badly. It would be beyond bad business to move him.

Winning makes more money than losing (tickers, merch, etc) so why they would not make this relatively small investment to keep the momentum going just does not compute.I hope you're right. I want Freddy with us long term. I'm just saying that the Bills don't seem to like crap like this going public. I don't know how far Nix and/or Chan may takes this out of spite. I hope cooler and smarter heads prevail.

X-Era
09-21-2011, 07:50 PM
When is the last time the Bills even had a player worth re-signing?That's a question with a question. Whether the player is worth resigning is another issue. Jackson clearly is. But, the current issue is whether the Bills will renegotiate and pay a guy when he complains. That wouldn't seem to be our style.

YardRat
09-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Freddie has earned a new deal...I'm sure he'll get one eventually.

Lexwhat
09-21-2011, 08:07 PM
That's a question with a question. Whether the player is worth resigning is another issue. Jackson clearly is. But, the current issue is whether the Bills will renegotiate and pay a guy when he complains. That wouldn't seem to be our style.

Fred Jackson is too important of a player to play hardball with, IMHO. It's obvious he is way underpaid.

Buddy Nix said we have core players that deserve to be paid. If the Bills threw out money to Kelsey, why not to Jackson?? The Kelsey contract was a joke and one of the dumbest moves in Bills history.

X-Era
09-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Fred Jackson is too important of a player to play hardball with, IMHO. It's obvious he is way underpaid.

Buddy Nix said we have core players that deserve to be paid. If the Bills threw out money to Kelsey, why not to Jackson?? The Kelsey contract was a joke and one of the dumbest moves in Bills history.I hope your right.

Still, I do wish Freddy would just keep it quiet on this front.

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2011, 08:11 PM
KW didn't sit here and cry like a *****. This is the first time freddy has been putting up great numbers week after week. Stop crying, keeping playing well, and you will get paid. Point proven? Kyle Williams

Lexwhat
09-21-2011, 08:12 PM
I hope your right.

Still, I do wish Freddy would just keep it quiet on this front.

I agree. Hopefully he keeps this production up, and we make him happy over the Bye Week.

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2011, 08:13 PM
It's the second week of the NFL season, you think the Bills don't know they need to pay him? shut the **** up and wait a bit, FANS included.

BillsFever21
09-21-2011, 08:42 PM
They should just give him him a 3 year deal for about 15 million including this season with 8 million guaranteed and be done with it. He would be getting a significant raise over this year and next year along with an extra year on the contract. No matter how Spiller turns out he's worth having around for the next few years.

He's good and an important part of our team but he's not top RB money. The top guys make around 12 million a year and he's also a couple years older then them guys. If he wanted much more then that then let him play out his contract or whatever. He has definitely deserved a raise and that would probably keep him happy.

Crisis
09-21-2011, 08:51 PM
pay the man

Ed
09-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I don't think Freddie is helping himself by going public. Things are finally going well for this team. The last thing they need is a captain of the team going public with negative vibes.

It makes sense that he's looking for a new deal now though. His stock has never been higher and even if he has a couple monster seasons, there's no way he gets big money when he's 32. He must be getting nervous about getting injured too.

YardRat
09-21-2011, 08:57 PM
He'll get paid.

Extremebillsfan247
09-21-2011, 09:01 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82272ed9/article/jackson-wants-contract-renegotiation-talks-to-move-forward?module=HP11_headline_stack The fact that Jackson is airing that crap out in public is whats really annoying. Bills are 2-0, so what, big deal. It's a 16 game season and we have yet to face the toughest teams on our schedule. A lot will change within this team between now and January.

If he wants big numbers in a contract, he needs to bring what he did in KC, and against the Raiders with him for all 16 games to get them. That's how it works in this league. Long term production gets you paid. One or two 100 yard games at the beginning of a season don't. Nothing against Jackson but that's how business is done in the NFL. JMO

Beebe's Kid
09-21-2011, 09:03 PM
The thing that is lost in this conversation is that if Wilfork's fat ass falls on Freddy's knee this weekend, he could be done, and not be compensated. That is the kind of thing that can't be far from a player's mind at all times.

I sure hope that the Bills don't get locked up over his age. It is a valid concern, but Freddy hasn't been carrying 25 times per game since he left college.

I will bet that he gets his money. It sucks to have this distraction right now, and I wouldn't doubt that Freddy was baited into this, then that was the part the interviewer ran with. Journalism is not what it used to be. It is all about sensationalism.

Freddy is one of the good guys, and he is a key piece to this offense. He has an intensity that is hard to miss on game day.

I never thought I would be supportive of a billboard, but that would be a hell of a showing, wouldn't it? The fans express their appreciation and love for Freddy J... how could the team, who has piles of money and cap room not give him a deal? Also, how could Freddy leave when he was shown so much love?

I understand the billboard may have been a joke, but it is certainly worth contemplating...if there ever was a billboard worthy of contemplation.

EricStratton
09-21-2011, 09:05 PM
It's a tough spot for the Bills. Fred is in his 5th year as a player and really his 3rd year getting carries, he has a 1st round pick behind him and running backs only seems to last 3-4 years.

Giving him a ton of cash with the years included is a risk.

psubills62
09-21-2011, 09:06 PM
He deserves to be paid. It's a little worrisome that he didn't hear what he wanted, but they might simply have told him that they have higher priorities - which they do.

It's getting to the point where the media is going to be provoking him into talking about it. I think that if Jackson keeps this kind of production going and shows he's a top RB in the league, I'd be surprised if they didn't extend him this coming offseason. But they still have other guys they need to sign first.

Ickybaluky
09-21-2011, 09:21 PM
When he says "he didn't hear what he wanted", what that means is he is asking for more money than they are willing to pay. The Bills probably would be willing to bump his pay, but not to the level of what top RB are getting right now. They figure he has 2 years left on the old contract, so they get a discount.

That would be my guess, anyway. I doubt they aren't willing to pay him more, given how grossly underpaid he is and the fact they have been willing to give money to other guys (like Kyle Williams) who out-played their contract. However, being willing to negotiate and treating him like a free agent are different things.

It is kind of ironic that Matt Forte, who is a very similar player to Jackson, is going through the same thing with Chicago.

tampabay25690
09-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Problem is the media keeps bringing up the contract and now thats all we will hear all year.....
Thank you media for pissing Freddy off....
Yea he needs a new deal no doubt.....

Mr. Pink
09-21-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm annoyed at athletes who sign multi year contracts and then get pissed off that they're not getting paid what they think they're worth. Play it out, you'll be rewarded when it's up.

Still think the man should be paid, but he should still be fine honoring what he originally signed.

kishoph
09-21-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm annoyed at athletes who sign multi year contracts and then get pissed off that they're not getting paid what they think they're worth. Play it out, you'll be rewarded when it's up.

Still think the man should be paid, but he should still be fine honoring what he originally signed.

I totally agree with this post.
He should also show some respect to the club that gave him a shot in the NFL and be thankful he's not selling used cars.

Meathead
09-21-2011, 11:35 PM
they really dont HAVE to do anything with freddie. they should, and i hope they do, but they dont have to

spin it anyway you want, he will be thirty one next season. more than any other position in any other sport, rbs hit the wall and fall off the table as dramatic as you can be. one season they are a league leader, and the next season they struggle to get past the los. no matter what other factors you try to throw out to cloud that reality, thats just the nature of the job

when will that be for freddie? who knows for sure, but absolutely no longer than three more seasons, my guess would be two, and that includes this one

so from a purely football standpoint, the smart thing to do is ride him now and next season if they can, and then cut him before '13

now, from a reputation standpoint, and just to do the right thing, they should give him a symbolic extension with the only committment being a bonus payment and maybe modest salary increase. that rewards him a little more now, and to some degree makes up for being underpaid in the past. it doesnt have to be much, certainly not a franchise back kind of amount, but something to say thank you and no hard feelings when we dump you after next season. it just doesnt make sense to give him a huge contract now, regardless of his performance. i love freddie, but it would be wiser to just cut him after this season than to give him huge dollars now

thats just the cold hard reality of the situation. doesnt feel warm and fuzzy. doesnt make up for a very good player not getting his full due. its just reality

BertSquirtgum
09-21-2011, 11:54 PM
they really dont HAVE to do anything with freddie. they should, and i hope they do, but they dont have to

spin it anyway you want, he will be thirty one next season. more than any other position in any other sport, rbs hit the wall and fall off the table as dramatic as you can be. one season they are a league leader, and the next season they struggle to get past the los. no matter what other factors you try to throw out to cloud that reality, thats just the nature of the job

when will that be for freddie? who knows for sure, but absolutely no longer than three more seasons, my guess would be two, and that includes this one

so from a purely football standpoint, the smart thing to do is ride him now and next season if they can, and then cut him before '13

now, from a reputation standpoint, and just to do the right thing, they should give him a symbolic extension with the only committment being a bonus payment and maybe modest salary increase. that rewards him a little more now, and to some degree makes up for being underpaid in the past. it doesnt have to be much, certainly not a franchise back kind of amount, but something to say thank you and no hard feelings when we dump you after next season. it just doesnt make sense to give him a huge contract now, regardless of his performance. i love freddie, but it would be wiser to just cut him after this season than to give him huge dollars now

thats just the cold hard reality of the situation. doesnt feel warm and fuzzy. doesnt make up for a very good player not getting his full due. its just reality
you're talking about a guy who didn't start getting nfl carries until he was 28. he has plenty of shelf life left. they should definitely pay him but no more than 4-5 million a year. he has at least 3 goods year in him.

Night Train
09-22-2011, 03:07 AM
FJ's last agent underestimated his value. He's turning 30 but doesn't have much tread on him.

They could extend him within reason and God knows we need him. He's our clear cut starter.

k-oneputt
09-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Win Sunday then we'll talk come Monday.

X-Era
09-22-2011, 05:55 AM
It's a tough spot for the Bills. Fred is in his 5th year as a player and really his 3rd year getting carries, he has a 1st round pick behind him and running backs only seems to last 3-4 years.

Giving him a ton of cash with the years included is a risk.And there was a whole faction who argued "running backs are a dime a dozen" when we drafted Spiller.

kishoph
09-22-2011, 06:10 AM
I love the way FREDDIE's been playing and he deserves to be rewarded. I'd say give him a hefty 2 year extension at the end of the season. As good as he's been playing, being a 30 year old RB with 2 years left on his current contract, does not give him a lot of bargaining power. I also believe that FITZ and STEVIE are priorities at this point.

ChristopherWalken
09-22-2011, 06:33 AM
I agree with Fred 100%. How the **** does the front office fork over a deal for Kelsay and not even consider one for Jackson.

Answer: I don't think the Bills are planning on keeping Fred much longer. Spiller will hit his 3 year mark next year and at some point, with the money he's making, they'll have to give him the reigns. Spiller hasn't really shown enough downside to sayu hes not deserving of a starting job. Could be Jackson's last year as a Buffalo Bill.

k-oneputt
09-22-2011, 07:05 AM
And there was a whole faction who argued "running backs are a dime a dozen" when we drafted Spiller.

Thay are. Just like wr's. Or haven't you been watching the Bills this season.

Jackson-free agent
S. Johnson-7th rd.
D. Jones-free agent
D. Nelson-free agent
Chandler-free agent

The whole key has been the o-line playing well and giving Fitz time to operate.

DraftBoy
09-22-2011, 07:17 AM
The issue with Freddy and people telling to wait and he'll get paid is that if he gets hurt then he's not going to get paid at all.

I say pay the man and pay him now. He has every right to be upset annoyed and ask for more.

trapezeus
09-22-2011, 08:41 AM
what are his incentives in the current contract? HE is on pace to have a great season. I can't imagine that he's just collecting the base and that's it.

I always hate defending the bills on these talks, but jackson did just sign his contract. that's why i also see its no issue to hurry to fitz and johnson. pay them what they are worth at the end of the season. they are here. if they keep getting better after signing a contract this week, do you think they are going to sit back and be underpaid? Nope.

i'm torn on jackson because he's a team player, has been in it to win it all the time even on bad teams. now the team is getting better and he's on the wrong side of 30. depends on his contract demands. 3 years tops for his longevity. and for those who say he doesn't have wear and tear, i'd argue otherwise. he's had to play harder to make AFL teams and 3rd string jobs.

Maximilli
09-22-2011, 08:44 AM
he needs to relax i think he will get a new contract but u gotta lock up stevie and fitz he needs to chill out already

Bill Cody
09-22-2011, 09:28 AM
He's whining in public because he has no leverage, he has 2 years left on his current deal.

I'm leery of going long on a RB. The Cowboys did that with Marion Barber and he didn't earn any of the increase, just left them with a big cap hit when they let him go. We have no idea what the Bills offered him, only that he wants more. Too bad, he can reach an agreement on a raise and maybe a one year extension or he can play his current deal out and walk. I like Fred but he's not in any position to take hostages. We finally win 2 ****ing games in a row and we get to hear this? Nuh uh.

mysticsoto
09-22-2011, 09:46 AM
FJ is doing the right thing, even if it annoys us fans. All indications are that this FO is going to let him play out his contract and offer nothing else. If he wants the best deal he can get, his best bet is to raise hell now. Either he gets a contract extension w/us, or he gets traded to somewhere else where they will give him a contract extension and appreciate his services.

His only other option is to wait his contract out. Is he going to be worth more or less 2 yrs from now? You do the math...

He's doing what is right for him. He should raise this as an issue and he SHOULD get paid. He deserves it.

justasportsfan
09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Freddy should be careful. The FO knows he was a Lee Evans supporter.

jpdex12
09-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Sorry to say but Freddy could very well be ammunition for us to trade him away for another draft pick that will be used for us to move up the board in this next draft to take our future QB in Luck or Landry! If he hasn't been paid yet with a new contract, there's a reason why. We will maximize his value after a few more games in which teams hurting for a good RB will over pay and not dwell on the fact that he's 30 years old...

I think FJ is a true blue Buffalo Bill but I just have that feeling that our FO is really looking at this through business glasses and are still planning for the future. I'd love to keep him though and I hope we do!

BertSquirtgum
09-22-2011, 01:41 PM
**** that

bf1
09-22-2011, 01:47 PM
They tried to jerk him around a few years ago too when they brought in Dominic Rhodes. Remember that?

jpdex12
09-22-2011, 09:10 PM
yeah and we are lucky to still have him now. We have first round pick Spiller and 30 year old UFA Freddy who is playing like a first rounder. He's leading the league after the first two games. Why would they pay him 1st rounder money and also Spiller? This is not in Ralph's nature to carry the payroll for two first round RB's.

It's all adding up or building up. However you want to put it.

Syderick
09-22-2011, 10:06 PM
The Bills have a few players they have to re-sign, it's difficult to give each player what they want.

Mad Bomber
09-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Just pay the guy. He's worth his weight in gold. For cryin' out loud, this team is built of no name, low round picks, undrafted free agents, and it is a pretty damn good team. Take some of the massive cap space and use it to sign our best players, dammit!

BertSquirtgum
09-22-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm annoyed that Fred Jackson is annoyed. Shut up and play, you will get paid when Buddy feels like it.

Thurmal
09-22-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm annoyed that Fred Jackson is annoyed. Shut up and play, you will get paid when Buddy feels like it.

What if you made 3X less than your subordinate at work, despite outperforming him on a constant basis? And you were the heart and soul of your office? Would you be pissed off if you asked for a raise, and your boss ignored you? Despite the fact that you performed at a high level for years and everyone at your workplace loved and looked up to you? Would you be annoyed? That's what I thought.

BertSquirtgum
09-23-2011, 12:44 AM
What if you made 3X less than your subordinate at work, despite outperforming him on a constant basis? And you were the heart and soul of your office? Would you be pissed off if you asked for a raise, and your boss ignored you? Despite the fact that you performed at a high level for years and everyone at your workplace loved and looked up to you? Would you be annoyed? That's what I thought.
I do....and

Fred Jackson is not the heart and soul of the offense. Fred Jackson has been average for years, not great. I agree he deserves a raise but he should shut the **** up and wait. I hate cry babies.

X-Era
09-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Thay are. Just like wr's. Or haven't you been watching the Bills this season.

Jackson-free agent
S. Johnson-7th rd.
D. Jones-free agent
D. Nelson-free agent
Chandler-free agent

The whole key has been the o-line playing well and giving Fitz time to operate.So they are a dime a dozen unless it's Fred Jackson...

k-oneputt
09-23-2011, 07:41 AM
So they are a dime a dozen unless it's Fred Jackson...

I like Fred but he isn't replacable. And I see where the Bills front office is coming from with the contract situation and his age.
If the o-line keeps blocking, this team will keep winning.

Bill Cody
09-23-2011, 09:33 AM

dammit you're right...marching into the bosses office right now and giving him a big piece of my mind...