• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Unsung Hero, Week 2

Donald Jones' breakup of an end-zone INT has been well-discussed, but he also made a clutch fourth-down catch as the final minute began.

Two ways in which the win doesn't happen without him.

Runner-up: the yellow flag.
    Not to diminish anything the Bills did, but the Raiders' D had two killer penalties in their own red zone before Bills TDs:
    1. An illegal contact on the last play of the third quarter; Fitz was sacked and it would have been 3rd-and-15. Two plays later, Jackson got in.
    2. 5:35 left, third-and-goal from the 8, pass incomplete. Defensive holding, Chandler scores two plays later.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Re: Unsung Hero, Week 2

I mean, without those infractions occurring, you have receivers running open (Chandler and Johnson respectively) to make a play.

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Oaf
      I mean, without those infractions occurring, you have receivers running open (Chandler and Johnson respectively) to make a play.
      No result can be assumed either way. If the game had been reversed, I think we'd be pretty pissed about it.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• mayotm
        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
        No result can be assumed either way. If the game had been reversed, I think we'd be pretty pissed about it.
        Yes, we as fans would probably complain if those calls went agains the Bills in key times. That stated, the Raiders didn't really even seem to complain. The penalties were pretty blatant.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

They were penalties. The Raiders corners clearly jammed the Bills' wrs after 5 yards. It's a penalty.

There was also at least a handful of times when the Raiders were blantantly holding that weren't called.

Comment

• RoscoeMagic
            • Aug 2008

Great call with D. Jones, I almost forgot about that.

Someone was saying this either on the radio or TV this week. That little plays like Donald Jones slapping the ball out of the CBs hands don't show up in the stat sheet, but it's what winning teams do. And maybe the culture in Buffalo is starting to change? We're doing those little things that good football teams do to win games. I can't remember where I heard it or who said it, but it's a great point.
            Internet Breeds Complacency.

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mayotm
              Yes, we as fans would probably complain if those calls went agains the Bills in key times. That stated, the Raiders didn't really even seem to complain. The penalties were pretty blatant.
              I didn't mean about the validity of the calls. I meant, giving the other team two first downs on the doorstep.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

Stevie J called out Jones in his press conference saying he made 2 huge plays
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

The Raiders are an undisciplined team who shoot themselves in the foot more often than not. It's been their M.O. for years.

Thankfully Sunday we took advantage of their mistakes.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Donald Jones' break-up of the potential INT was a better PD than I've seen from anybody in our secondary in a few years.

As far as unsung heroes, Brad Smith should have a permanent place on the list for every game as long as he keeps racking up first downs almost every time he touches the ball. Those third-and-short conversions that he picks up are so huge, and often overlooked in any post-game analysis.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Jul 2007

I immediately opened this thread thinking "if he doesn't say Donald, I will".

Well played.

Also... HOW THE HECK DO I GET HOT CHICKS IN MY SIG?! I'm too lazy to check other forums for the BoB things...
                      Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ServoBillieves
                        I immediately opened this thread thinking "if he doesn't say Donald, I will".

Well played.

Also... HOW THE HECK DO I GET HOT CHICKS IN MY SIG?! I'm too lazy to check other forums for the BoB things...
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                        X