PDA

View Full Version : BN: New deals for Fitzpatrick, Johnson won't come cheap

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
09-25-2011, 10:20 AM
The Buffalo Bills will have to pay out roughly $18 million a year if they
want to re-sign both Stevie Johnson and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

It sounds like a lot of money. But in the NFL world, where teams are living
off the golden goose of television revenue, it's not crazy money. In fact, many
teams are committing that much money -- and more -- to the receiver and
quarterback positions.

Here's how the pay rankings look and how the parameters might shake out as
the Bills work on deals for their passing combination.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/inside-the-nfl/article569857.ece

Mr. Pink
09-25-2011, 10:21 AM
If they wait til the end of the year to get both under contract it's gonna be at least 20.

YardRat
09-25-2011, 10:24 AM
If they wait til the end of the year to get both under contract it's gonna be at least 20.

'They' aren't waiting. Offers to both have been given.

Probably what is holding up the Freddie contract extension, also. Once they get Stevie and Fitz done, they'll have a better idea on what they can spend for Freddie, at least for this season's cap.

Mr. Pink
09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
'They' aren't waiting. Offers to both have been given.

Probably what is holding up the Freddie contract extension, also. Once they get Stevie and Fitz done, they'll have a better idea on what they can spend for Freddie, at least for this season's cap.

I guess I should have included if the players/players agents decide to wait before being serious about negotiations as well.

My bad.

X-Era
09-25-2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/inside-the-nfl/article569857.ece
10 mill for Fitz and 8 mill for Stevie. That's what I've been saying.

That's the cost.

YardRat
09-25-2011, 10:28 AM
I guess I should have included if the players/players agents decide to wait before being serious about negotiations as well.

My bad.

I think Fitz and Stevie's agents are going to hold out for a few more weeks, at least, to see if both keep producing and/or if the Bills' front office budges any.

Goobylal
09-25-2011, 10:39 AM

That's the cost.
Pretty much. And if Fitz stays at just where he is and doesn't continue to improve, $10M/year is still a bargain.

Don't Panic
09-25-2011, 10:45 AM

That's the cost.

So then the question becomes how many years for each? I think 3 yrs/$30 million is fair for Fitz. I think he's earned that much.

As for Stevie, I think its gotta be at least 5 years, which makes it $40 million total based on your number. I bet they are holding out for more years and money. I bet the Bills have offered just shy of $8 million a year and probably 4 years, whereas Stevie is looking for closer to $10 mil a year and 6 years. I say you split the difference, go 5 years and $45 million and call it a day.

Mr. Pink
09-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I think if Fitz doesn't sign a new deal til the offseason or even say December, you're looking at him making about 13 a year and that's just with him mirroring last year.

QB driven league and there's guys at the position who make A LOT of bank.

YardRat
09-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I think if Fitz doesn't sign a new deal til the offseason or even say December, you're looking at him making about 13 a year and that's just with him mirroring last year.

QB driven league and there's guys at the position who make A LOT of bank.

From the link in the op...

At quarterback, there are 16 players averaging $10 million a year. OK, that's a tiny exaggeration.
The 16th highest paid quarterback is Kansas City's Matt Cassel, and his contract averages $9.669 million a year. Would any Bills fan trade Fitzpatrick for Cassel? We think not.
No. 14 is the Jets' Mark Sanchez, who's playing on a rookie contract that pays him $10 million a year. No. 15 is New Orleans' Drew Brees ($10 million), who is expected to sign a giant new deal soon. No. 17 is Denver's Kyle Orton, at $8.8 million a year on a contract signed about a year ago.
The top 10 on the QB salary list, not counting Brees, looks like this:
1. Tom Brady, Pats, $18 million.
2. Peyton Manning, Colts, $18 M.
3. Eli Manning, Giants, $16.2 M.
4. Michael Vick, Eagles, $16 M.
5. Philip Rivers, Chargers, $15.3 M.
6. Jay Cutler, Bears, $14.6 M.
7. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers, $14.6 M.
8. Sam Bradford, Rams, $13 M.
9. Aaron Rodgers, Packers, $12.7 M.
10. Kevin Kolb, Cards, $12.4 M.

X-Era
09-25-2011, 11:36 AM
So then the question becomes how many years for each? I think 3 yrs/$30 million is fair for Fitz. I think he's earned that much.

As for Stevie, I think its gotta be at least 5 years, which makes it $40 million total based on your number. I bet they are holding out for more years and money. I bet the Bills have offered just shy of $8 million a year and probably 4 years, whereas Stevie is looking for closer to $10 mil a year and 6 years. I say you split the difference, go 5 years and $45 million and call it a day.I think both will get 5 years minimum. I just can't see either taking a shorter contract.

I think where we may see the Bills try to cover the risk is in incentives. I think Fitz may be more likely to get incentives in his contract.

But no, I really don't think it will take 9 mill per for Stevie. I think 8 or so will do it.