PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Coaching move...

Historian
09-25-2011, 03:25 PM
...taking the knees...beating Sith Belicheck at his own game.

Okay...I'm convinced!

DynaPaul
09-25-2011, 03:27 PM
It hurts when it comes back around doesn't it Bill? Next time tell your players not to take cheap shots at our QB.

X-Era
09-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Okay...I'm convinced!Brilliant. First thing I thought of when they put it back on the 1.

YardRat
09-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Yes, it was.

2slowtogofast
09-25-2011, 03:33 PM
chan is the man

evol4276
09-25-2011, 03:34 PM
nearly everything that could have gone right on the final drive did, minus the false start and the near fumble. that non-touchdown was huge!

unpaid_bills
09-25-2011, 03:42 PM

Okay...I'm convinced!

Agree I honsetly didnt even think of it. I was worried we would score on the next play after the review and give Brady another shot. The Def was out of gas. That was pure and simple great coaching and exeution by Fitz and the OL. Except for the one false start.

Chan really is a good coach seems to get good matchups, stays cool under pressure. He just looks confident unlike his predecessors. This game is going to wonders for the Bills confidence. The monkey is lifted:air:

Mike
09-25-2011, 03:44 PM
He did absolutely the right thing. Not scoring that TD was a blessing in desquise.

Goobylal
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Looked like a bit of dumb luck. FJ tried to score a TD (dumb), and the idiot Pats players didn't let him. Then on the next play, they almost score on a QB keeper. Then they get smart and kneel down, but Fitz almost loses the ball because he's trying to lose as few yards as possible. Then the false start.

But in the end, it all worked out. And BTW, there should have been another PF on the play after the play where they called a PF.

ServoBillieves
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Belicheat acting like a baby is so great.... Cry all you want, there's a 1 on your recoed baby!

kishoph
09-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Belicheat acting like a baby is so great.... Cry all you want, there's a 1 on your recoed baby!

I'd bet you that he is fuming, I love it.

The Natrix
09-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Not brilliant. Seems like common sense to me. I don't know why more coaches have not used that strategy in similar situations in the past.

Mr. Pink
09-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Once the thought of Jackson being short entered my mind, I posted in the gameday thread the best thing to do was take knees. Belichick made it even easier by wasting a TO.

Goobylal
09-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Once the thought of Jackson being short entered my mind, I posted in the gameday thread the best thing to do was take knees. Belichick made it even easier by wasting a TO.
That was the right thing to do. The clock was going to start up again. Preserve as much time as possible up front.

Michael82
09-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I loved that move and it's part of the reason why I'm surprised the coaches didn't tell Jackson to take a knee before he reached the end zone, kinda like what Maurice Jones Drew did last year.

Ebenezer
09-26-2011, 06:42 AM
I had to convince the people around us that the TD would have been the worst thing that could happen.

jamze132
09-26-2011, 06:52 AM
At the time I really hoped he scored since it would have gone as another TD for both Jackson and Fitz, but being down at the one was the best thing.

Night Train
09-26-2011, 06:54 AM
That was the most satisfying " Shove it up your ass, Hoodie " moment ever.

That's why he flipped out with the Fred Jackson marking at the 1. He knew his 1:43 and 2 TO's to tie chance was gone with that decision. The ref bribing didn't work.

kishoph
09-26-2011, 06:58 AM
I mentioned it in another thread, I'm so glad that CHAN decided to run the clock out, past coaches would of tried to punch it in, but if LINDELL would of missed the FG and NE went on to score and win the game there would be a ton of people calling for CHAN'S head today.

NorthCarBills
09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Agree...

Talking about contract extensions for our players, how long is Gailey signed up for?

Also, curious how much influence DW has had on our D's firey play. His involvement is something I've been pondering. i.e. Is DW the main catalyst of game-day performance, or is it Edwards.

Dujek
09-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Sully was panicking on Twitter that the Bills would score too soon. I told him to relax, we'd take the time off the clock before we scored.

Guess I was right.

Buckets
09-26-2011, 07:48 AM
The monkey on our back has been replaced by a target. I hope this win doesn't go to our heads next week.

mysticsoto
09-26-2011, 08:01 AM
The monkey on our back has been replaced by a target. I hope this win doesn't go to our heads next week.

Listen to FJ's interview after the game. He says it's great to get the monkey off their back with the 15 losses to the patriots, but the only number that really counts is that they are 3-0 and 1-0 against a divisional opponent.

These guys are grounded in reality!!!

The King
09-26-2011, 08:03 AM
From Freddy's perspective he's trying to win the game. There's so much adrenaline and emotion on a run like that you can't blame him for not clocking it.

Without that Personal Foul the Pats still would've had a chance.

mikemac2001
09-26-2011, 08:07 AM
From Freddy's perspective he's trying to win the game. There's so much adrenaline and emotion on a run like that you can't blame him for not clocking it.

Without that Personal Foul the Pats still would've had a chance.

Stupid mike and mike called the PF garbage and the pats would have had 50 secs to tie without that call

first off they would have had 20 secs or so

40 secs a play they could have ran two plays with 1.40 left in the game

few run off secs for kneels and FG i say 15 secs at best on there own 20 but they acting like thats what helped the bills win....it help make the FG the last play

i usually don't turn on ESPN but had a commercial on nfl channel

Saratoga Slim
09-26-2011, 08:14 AM
I agree with the topic of this thread. I'm impressed with Chan's general decision-making, play calling (for instance, lining Freddy out wide on the last big play), and halftime adjustments. Two games in a row where we came out of the tunnel after halftime with new approaches that worked.

Now if he can only get the guys going a little better out of the gates. Sooner or later we're not going to be able to catch up. Moreover, I'm not sure my heart can take another week like the last two.

mysticsoto
09-26-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm impressed with Chan sticking to the points he said were needed to win the games. I myself would have changed, once we tied the game, to try and run more and use up clock and more ball control, but he kept to his plan and kept the spread open passing style. And even though we happen to go 3 and out on that drive at that point, he did not abandon his plan.

Kudos to him for sticking it out all the way through!!!

ddaryl
09-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Chan can hang !!!!

TMu11
09-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I was telling my buddy during the FJ review that it would be best for the Bills to not score, and to kneel to run down the clock and he didn't get it.
I honestly thought the call was common sense, but apparently a lot of people didnt even think of it as a possibility.

Forward_Lateral
09-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Not to defend Billicheat, but he didn't waste that timeout. The clock would've started if he hadn't have. What killed the Pats was the unsportsmanlike penalty that gave the Bills a first down and essentially allowed them to run out the clock.

Ebenezer
09-26-2011, 09:39 AM
I was telling my buddy during the FJ review that it would be best for the Bills to not score, and to kneel to run down the clock and he didn't get it.
I honestly thought the call was common sense, but apparently a lot of people didnt even think of it as a possibility.

Had it been the Bengals and the Bills were up by 7 and cincy had to go 80 to tie nobody would have worried...it was the Pats and Brady had passed for almost 400 - there was reason to worry.

TMu11
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Had it been the Bengals and the Bills were up by 7 and cincy had to go 80 to tie nobody would have worried...it was the Pats and Brady had passed for almost 400 - there was reason to worry.

I would have worried. You never know in this league. I'm sure most people wouldn't have expected Buffalo to have a game winning drive against the Raiders either.

Cntrygal
09-26-2011, 01:25 PM
I loved the patsies expressions on the sidelines as they realized they weren't getting the ball back.

Meathead
09-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Not brilliant. Seems like common sense to me.
yeah not seeing why its so brilliant. if it is then me and my dad were brilliant even before they ruled it not a td cuz we were saying thats what we wished the outcome had been anyway. the situation was perfect for it, seems pretty common sense

Meathead
09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Not to defend Billicheat, but he didn't waste that timeout.
and he had a point about losing seconds. the clock ran a full ten seconds while they were figuring out if it was a score. if they rule jackson down at the one initially then the cheaters call a time out right away, probably saving them six seconds. thats good for another play on a brady led last ditch effort so it could have been massively huge. i would have been pissed if i were him too. which of course makes it all the sweeter