• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Interesting note about Fitzpatrick

I've been reading buffalo rumblings article's, and they noted how good of a job Fitzpatrick has done against the blitz this year. Just last week he threw for 115 yards and 3 first downs.

This is somewhat reminiscent of Trent Edwards, who was decent against the blitz, but looked positively awful when teams dropped 7-8 guys into coverage.

What does this mean about Fitzpatrick? For me, I was leery of signing him until he showed he wouldn't stall out against heavy coverages. Well, the Patriots blitzed on 6 of 44 passing plays. Fitz still picked them apart. I love seeing that and Fitz is starting to convince me he's a legit starter in this league (I refuse to make any long-term conclusions based on a couple games).

Anyway, some of the stats I pulled up came from this article:

Week 3: Notes from the OL
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Interesting note about Fitzpatrick

how much of this is receivers running better routes as well. i mean, chan has 6-7 TE wide open in the endzone with no one on him and nelson open the week prior. I think Jauron was running such a simple offense there was no hope for anyone.

I also think having a smart, good center is a big difference maker. they call out the line plays. Wood moved to center and the bills started winning.

It's not just fitz. he's part of the equation, but everyone is doing better. the bills show 4 receivers, they have a good system of line calls, and fitz is working magic and fred runs like he's in madden right now.

all of these things need the other.

Comment

• Philagape
      WIN NOW
      • Jul 2002

Fitz is a triumph of the truth that anyone should already know, that the single most important skill of any QB is field intelligence.
      Fitz has an answer for any situation. He knows where his options are. He knows where to put the ball. He knows his receivers inside out. He knows it with such certainty and confidence that nothing rattles him.
      You can tell that the game slows down for him, that his brain can handle 10 different things happening at high speed.
      When a QB has that, you know you have a good one, because it makes his teammates so much better.
      And this year, his arm is catching up to his brain. We're seeing several "wow" throws a game, firing darts into tight spaces with perfect timing, often while on the move. We're seeing fewer throws get away from him.
      Add on his unflappable leadership, and he is a QB the Bills have to lock up.
      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Agreed, trap and Phil. His accuracy thus far is something that's impressed me. He had a few of those "what the heck" throws in the first game very early on, but ever since then he's really settled in.
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Oaf
          Do you read what you write?
          • Jun 2007

Yeah, when the Pats rushed 3, I was pretty worried. But Fitz executed.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

The difference is, if you drop 8 into coverage vs this Bills team, their running attack will pulverize you.

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Another sign of how much Fitz means to this franchise is that, for the first time in a long time, Bills fans are united behind a QB. The praise is universal.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• baalworship
                • May 2003

They had a segment on ESPN today where they featured Fitzpatrick making pre-snap reads. New England was in a coverage that showed a blitzing linebacker and safeties playing in a "robber" coverage. Fitz motions to Fred Jackson to move into protection to block the blitzing linebacker and reads the coverage as being single coverage on the outside. The ball is snapped, Jackson picks up the blitz, and Fitz fires 30 yards down field to a wide open Donald Jones.

I was loving it.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

reading the article the OP referenced... It is obvious the right side of the OL is playing well enough but needs work... We have no faith running to the right which means teams will stack the left side a little more

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

One more thing I'd like to say that hasn't really been mentioned yet: from what I remember, we were not winning the field position battle in the second half.

Our offense had a total of 12 drives. Three of them started inside our own 6, with another drive starting on our own 12. Only two drives began outside our own 20 (punt return on third drive to Buffalo 30 and INT later in game to New England's 39 yard line).
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                    X