PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly's best vs: Fitzpatricks last 16

ddaryl
09-26-2011, 10:47 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/09/26/fitzs-last-16-mirror-kellys-best/

The Bills website is pimping Fitz QB'ing in comparison to Jim Kelly's best season on a Superbowl worthy squad.

This should definitely make for great discussion

Fitz’s last 16 mirror Kelly’s best (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/09/26/fitzs-last-16-mirror-kellys-best/)

<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2011-09-26T10:36:49+0000"> September 26, 2011 – 10:36 am </abbr> </small>

Ryan Fitzpatrick only got 13 starts in 2010 after taking over for the benched Trent Edwards in Week 3, and sitting out the season finale against the Jets in Week 17. So here’s a look at Fitz’s numbers after 16 games, the equivalent of one full regular season, and they’re almost a mirror image of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly’s best season.
Jim Kelly was 304-474 (64.1%) passing for 3,844 yards with 33 touchdowns and 17 interceptions and a passer rating of 97.6.
Ryan Fitzpatrick was 327-552 (59.2%) passing for 3,841 yards with 32 touchdowns and 18 interceptions and a passer rating of 86.2.
The 1991 season was Kelly’s high-water mark for completions, passing yards and touchdowns as the ‘K-Gun’ offense was at its peak. To see Fitzpatrick’s production on a par with Kelly’s is certainly eye-0pening. Only his completion percentage and passer rating are a bit off, but considering it was Fitzpatrick’s first string of 16 games as a starter the numbers are impressive.
And if Fitz stays healthy and makes all 16 starts this season he’s on pace to do the following. (Just keep in mind he’s on a torrid pace right now and maintaining it will prove difficult)
385-593 passing for 4,499 yards with 48 touchdowns and 16 interceptions.

yes it is possible that Fitzmagic... aka the Amish Rifle, could conceivably knock Jim Kelly off the perch of greatest Bills QB.....for a single season anyways...

Like I said this should be a fun discussion

trapezeus
09-26-2011, 10:51 AM
those are eye popping figures. it's just sad this his 16 games have a 8-8 record while jim had a 13-3 record.

but the team is looking good. i'm super pumped, but i am listening to the old adage. you are never as good as the paper says and your never as bad as they say.

there are some flaws on this team, but i'm trusting chan to find ways to paper over them or make them less glaring.

ddaryl
09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
those are eye popping figures. it's just sad this his 16 games have a 8-8 record while jim had a 13-3 record.

but the team is looking good. i'm super pumped, but i am listening to the old adage. you are never as good as the paper says and your never as bad as they say.

there are some flaws on this team, but i'm trusting chan to find ways to paper over them or make them less glaring.

Not sad if you really brake down the reality.. Look at the roster turnover in 2 years... The coaching/Scheme change and all that has happened... I find that to be more of an indication on how good Fitz can be... At this point Fitz doesn't have nearly the experience Kelly had in 91 after playing in the USFL and the NFL for a much longer time by the time the 91 season came around

Extremebillsfan247
09-26-2011, 10:57 AM

there are some flaws on this team, but i'm trusting chan to find ways to paper over them or make them less glaring. If this team had a Bruce Smith, or Daryl Talley, Fitz might have had a 13-3 record. Bills defense covered for Kelly's mistakes on quite a few occasions back in the day. A good defense helps.

psubills62
09-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I'd like to see what his numbers are like after this year's 16 games. So far his completion percentage is 7 points higher than last year, his YPA are 0.8 higher and his other numbers are just better across the board.

trapezeus
09-26-2011, 11:13 AM
true bills defense is better than last year, namely on the run. but they are not getting enough push. i think having troup back at some point will make the guys fresher. i was disappointed with kyle william and dareus. i thought they'd have a bigger game, and when they did get through the holding went uncalled.

at some point merriman has to come back and give us a lights out game. they are surviving on the basics right now. at some point, the front 7 will have a break out game.

ddaryl
09-26-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd like to see what his numbers are like after this year's 16 games. So far his completion percentage is 7 points higher than last year, his YPA are 0.8 higher and his other numbers are just better across the board.

Considering he is playing with the band of misfits.... it's such a pleasant surprise for all Bills fans considering we've been screaming for a franchise QB for years and we finally found one... and Fitz is one of those guys that needed time to develop. Once the light came on for Fitz though it has burned very brightly...

Yeah I hope this O can maintain there potency the entire year, comes down to injuries, depth and of course Chan's ability to gameplan/coach... obvioulsy, but even with a few injuries and depth issues I am having an ever increasing confidence in Chan's ability to just coach this team through thick and thin

If this team had a Bruce Smith, or Daryl Talley, Fitz might have had a 13-3 record. Bills defense covered for Kelly's mistakes on quite a few occasions back in the day. A good defense helps.

Fitz has made his share of mistakes as well, and some timely plays by the D has helped.... None the less our D is much stronger against the run then last year and that is huge

chernobylwraiths
09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Jim only played in 15 games in 91

ddaryl
09-26-2011, 11:19 AM
true bills defense is better than last year, namely on the run. but they are not getting enough push. i think having troup back at some point will make the guys fresher. i was disappointed with kyle william and dareus. i thought they'd have a bigger game, and when they did get through the holding went uncalled.

at some point merriman has to come back and give us a lights out game. they are surviving on the basics right now. at some point, the front 7 will have a break out game.
One thing that is overlooked against the Pats is the fact that the Bills collapsed the pocket around Brady many times. Brady couldn't just step up in the pocket all the time and have his way, and when he wasn't extremely comfortable he made a few mistakes... SO while the DL didn't make the splashy plays they were more effective then they have been.

I forsee the front 7 having some big games against some lesser opponents this year, but this DL was built mostly to stop the run and force teams to win by the pass.

If this team had a Bruce Smith, or Daryl Talley, Fitz might have had a 13-3 record. Bills defense covered for Kelly's mistakes on quite a few occasions back in the day. A good defense helps.

Fitz has made his share of mistakes as well, and some timely plays by the D has helped.... None the less our D is much stronger against the run then last year and that is huge

Forward_Lateral
09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
When Fitz leads Buffalo to 4 straight superbowls, I'll be ready to anoint him. Until then, lets just enjoy the victories and stop making ridiculous comparisons and refrain from getting too carried away with our enthusiasm.

ddaryl
09-26-2011, 11:24 AM
When Fitz leads Buffalo to 4 straight superbowls, I'll be ready to anoint him. Until then, lets just enjoy the victories and stop making ridiculous comparisons and refrain from getting too carried away with our enthusiasm.

I don't understand fans like you at all.. When they lose you have no problems pointing out all the fallacies, when they win and we have every right to finally be excited about some awesome things happening you no longer want to have that discussion because its premature....

Fitz is playing solid football behind a less talented team than Jim Kelly had in 1991, and that is a fact that deserves to be talked about...

Forward_Lateral
09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't understand fans like you at all.. When they lose you have no problems pointing out all the fallacies, when they win and we have every right to finally be excited about some awesome things happening you no longer want to have that discussion because its premature....

Fitz is playing solid football behind a less talented team than Jim Kelly had in 1991, and that is a fact that deserves to be talked about...

Who said I wasn't excited? I'm just as excited as anyone, I'm just saying that it's not time to compare Fitz to Kelly. Last time I checked, seasons began in Sept and ended in Jan. Stats don't carry over from season to season. I want Fitz to break every record possible of Jim's, and if he does, then we can compare.

Relax man, I wasn't bashing the Bills or Fitzpatrick. I'm just not crowning Buffalo AFC East champs after 3 games, and I'm not saying Fitzy is better Jim Kelly. It's not like I'm saying Fitz isn't better than Edwards or Losman, or whomever.

ddaryl
09-26-2011, 11:37 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :party:

You aren't bashing but you were searching for fallacies in the comparison... C'mon do we really have to search out a reason to dismiss the fact that Fitz is playing as well as one of the Bills all time greats.. That's all i wanted to point out

the comparison you said didn't count until Fitz took us to the SB 4 times.. That's a feat that might never be matched again in our lifetime

PromoTheRobot
09-26-2011, 11:57 AM
These last 3 games have to be an NFL record or darn close. I'm pretty sure they have been the most offensively explosive in Bills history, even better than any 3 games by Kelly. I know no NFL team has come back from 18 down in back-to-back games.

PTR

Philagape
09-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Fitz doesn't have to take the Bills to 4 straight SBs to be compared to Kelly.

He just has to win one to be better than Kelly.

ddaryl
09-26-2011, 12:32 PM
I know no NFL team has come back from 18 down in back-to-back games.

PTR

I do believe its the 1st back to back wins after 18 point deficits or more in consecutive games

Ebenezer
09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Honestly how did Trent Edwards win the starting job last camp?

He was younger, in a contract year and given a two game try out to see if he had anything....would it really have mattered if Fitz started?

Philagape
09-26-2011, 12:40 PM
He was younger, in a contract year and given a two game try out to see if he had anything....would it really have mattered if Fitz started?

They would have beaten Miami and drafted Gabbert

Dujek
09-26-2011, 12:42 PM

We would probably have beaten the Dolphins.

Forward_Lateral
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :party:

You aren't bashing but you were searching for fallacies in the comparison... C'mon do we really have to search out a reason to dismiss the fact that Fitz is playing as well as one of the Bills all time greats.. That's all i wanted to point out

the comparison you said didn't count until Fitz took us to the SB 4 times.. That's a feat that might never be matched again in our lifetime

OK, if he wins a Superbowl, you can compare him. :D

imbondz
09-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Fitz doesn't have to take the Bills to 4 straight SBs to be compared to Kelly.

He just has to win one to be better than Kelly.

that's what I was going to say. one SB win will make that QB the greatest Bills ever instantly

ddaryl
09-26-2011, 02:56 PM
OK, if he wins a Superbowl, you can compare him. :D

I still find it very encouraging to be able to compare Fitz to Jim Kelly in any way.

yeah Jim is still the man, but Fitz is lighting it up... and is doing so with some consistency :air: