PDA

View Full Version : peter king power ranking - top 15

trapezeus
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Why are we beating teams and then being ranked behind them still?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Posted: Monday September 26, 2011 8:27AM ; Updated: Monday September 26, 2011 9:31AM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/img/4.0/global/writer_headshots/new/peter_king.jpg
Peter King>MONDAY MORNING QB
More Columns (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/writers/peter_king/archive/)Email Peter King (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/.element/ssi/story/4.1/writers/peter_king/mailbag.html?height=185&width=800)

So what do you want? The good news or the bad news?
I'm a glass-half-full guy, so here goes: The NFL's Terrible Trio, the despondent Rust Belt franchises in Buffalo, Detroit and Cleveland, are 8-1. Over the last 10 years, since 2001, these three teams have combined for three winning seasons. "Our fans have been starving for this,'' said Cleveland linebacker Scott Fujita after the Browns beat Miami 17-16. If Cleveland's been starving, what about Detroit and Buffalo giddily celebrating 3-0 starts?

Revelation of the day, Buffalo division. I can remember only two Buffalo crowds as giddy and loud as Sunday's -- though I'm sure I'm missing some. The 2007 Monday night crazyfest with Dallas, won 25-24 by the Cowboys, is one, and the comeback from a 32-point deficit in the 1993 playoff game against Houston the other. "Great game, great fun, great team we beat, great crowd," Fred Jackson said from Buffalo afterward. "It felt like we had the entire city behind us in the stadium today." Fred Jackson can really play. He had 17 touches for 161 yards and a touchdown against a team that knew he was coming. Now, he joins Ryan Fitzpatrick as a player the Bills have to sign -- Fitzpatrick's deal is up after this season, Jackson's under contract through 2012 -- to ensure the offense stays explosive. "I want something done, because I'd love to stay here,'' said Jackson. Good players like to stay with winners, and now the Bills are a game ahead of the Jets and Patriots in the AFC East.

Fine Fifteen

1. Green Bay (3-0). Jermichael Finley told everyone he was ready to take his place among the Gonzalez/Witten/Gates elite of NFL tight ends. Guess we should have listened.
2. Baltimore (2-1). Just when it seemed like the Ravens might have enough offense without him, Torrey Smith appears. Explosively.
3. New England (2-1). At some point, the Patriots are going to put some draft emphasis on finding a pass-rush. In the last four seasons, in average passing yards per game, New England allowed 190.1, 201.4, 209.7 and 258.5. Who would have thought the Pats would be allowing 377 passing yards per week, through three weeks?
4. New Orleans (2-1). How fun is it to watch Drew Brees take a team on his back and win a game it has little business winning?
5. Detroit (3-0). Schwartz for Mayor! Do you have any doubt he could win?
6. Houston (2-1). Hard to say you're making progress when you surrender 40 points and 370 passing yards, but if you watched the game, you know there was a lot of good about Houston's defensive effort. And James Casey too. The local kid -- Casey went to Rice -- looks like a long-term keeper, an offensive tight end with good athleticism.
7. Buffalo (3-0). On the last two Sundays, you can't tell me there hasn't been a spike in visits to western New York cardiac units.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The King
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
who cares.

psubills62
09-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Well, first of all, King has been on our side from preseason. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Second of all, we did beat the Pats, which is great and I don't want to take anything away from that win, but I still have a hard time saying we're a better team than them. JMO.

Thirdly, this is the direct link to the article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/09/26/Week3/index.html

chernobylwraiths
09-26-2011, 11:45 AM
that looks like the whole article

Ebenezer
09-26-2011, 12:20 PM
that looks like the whole article

not any longer it doesn't...

THATHURMANATOR
09-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Fine by me. Could you imagine ranked 7th ever going into the year?

trapezeus
09-26-2011, 12:58 PM
sorry about full link. i copied just the top 7 and pasted it in. i didn't think i inadvertently pasted the full page.

i'm not really torn up about it, but it is strange that 2 out of 3 weeks we have beaten a team and ended up behind in a ranking that should be talking about the current status...not a long term view of who has been what.

you know what i didn't see coming even less? the possibilty of 5-1 or 6-0.

Cntrygal
09-26-2011, 01:30 PM
On the last two Sundays, you can't tell me there hasn't been a spike in visits to western New York cardiac units.

If this keeps up I'm going to start baking for the fire station (just about a mile from my house).

northernbillfan
09-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Another reason they remain behind teams like NE is that the Bills still get behind and have to struggle to maintain a victory.

They won't be a top five team until they start the game by leading and maintaining that lead.

Ebenezer
09-26-2011, 01:35 PM
On the last two Sundays, you can't tell me there hasn't been a spike in visits to western New York cardiac units.

If this keeps up I'm going to start baking for the fire station (just about a mile from my house).

Cardiac?? Guess how many ankles and knees got ruined in the last two weeks with all the jumping on and off the bandwagon.

Saratoga Slim
09-26-2011, 01:36 PM
I have no problem with #7. I think that's fair for a team that has still only played 3 games and is coming off a 4-12 season. The Patriots have proven year in and year out that they'll do it over the long haul. We haven't yet, and so that's fair.

Better to be underestimated and overdeliver. That's what this team is feeding on now, and I'd rather have them with a chip on their shoulder than cocky.

Extremebillsfan247
09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Why are we beating teams and then being ranked behind them still?Because it's a power ranking. Besides having an opinion, it doesn't really mean much no matter who's name is attached to it. I've never seen a power ranking that could get a team a victory on Sunday. At the end of the day the only 2 things that matter are wins and losses.

ParanoidAndroid
09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I want to see if they are still up when they play lowly Cincinnatti. They also have 3 straight games against NFCE opponents and we know Bills history when playing that division.

imbondz
09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Fine by me. Could you imagine ranked 7th ever going into the year?

I can't!