PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: Drew Bledsoe was sent packing because he couldn't listen to the coaches.

Ebenezer
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Very interesting. Never heard something like this about Bledsoe before. It appears that he thought he was smarter than some of his coaches in NE and Buffalo.

I think it's good to be reminded that this is the 10-year anniversary weekend for the Drew Bledsoe hit by Mo Lewis that led to the ascension of Tom Brady -- thanks, Adam Schefter -- but we all should remember one thing that, for some reason, seems to have been washed away by time. Brady's time was coming whether Bledsoe got hurt or not.

The Patriot staff, Bill Belichick and Charlie Weis most notably, were tiring of studying tape and installing a game plan during the week, then having Bledsoe change an inordinate number of plays and make decisions outside of the progressions Weis wanted in the passing game. Unless Bledsoe led the Patriots to the same Super Bowl victory Brady did in 2001, I believe the Patriots would likely have made the quarterback change before the 2002 season.

Bledsoe was a very good player for the Patriots, to be sure. But even in Buffalo, the staff tired of him taking such strong control of the offense -- and other things. The Bills let Bledsoe walk after some big losses in his third year with the team, 2004. None bigger than the last one, a loss to Pittsburgh on a windy day in Buffalo.

Winds were whipping up pretty strong that day, and before he walked out to midfield for the flip, Bledsoe was advised by coaches to choose to defend the east goal if Pittsburgh won the toss and elected to receive. (Though the official play-by-play listed the wind as coming from the south that day, Buffalo coaches felt it was an easterly wind.) That way, the Steelers wouldn't be wind-aided when they took the ball. Pittsburgh won the toss. Pittsburgh elected to receive. Bledsoe said Buffalo would defend the west goal. West?

Bledsoe explained that when he got to midfield, it seemed to him the wind was whipping around differently than the way the coaches thought, and so he picked the opposite goal to defend. Bledsoe had a seesaw 16-of-30 day and Pittsburgh won 29-24. Bledsoe never played again for Buffalo.

Bledsoe is very smart, but on a few occasions, thinking differently than his coaches hurt his employment career. And it affected the balance of power for years in the AFC East.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/09/26/Week3/4.html

trapezeus
09-26-2011, 12:59 PM
i read that. interesting stuff. my pats friends used to say when we got bledsoe that he never learns. and i didn't believe them until it was too late.

djjimkelly
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
that bledsoe era IMO is why we have sucked for the last 10 years.

our franchise didnt go down to the 4-12 5-11 or worse levels we were supposed to be

our picks would have been different

we would have been better sooner

just to remind everyone the bledsoe era never made playoffs

Oaf
09-26-2011, 01:05 PM
If a QB wants to control the game and produces, fine. I still think DB should have taken on '05 instead of throwing a raw Losman to the wolves. Losman was benched after 3 starts anyway.

Forward_Lateral
09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Stuff like the last paragraph about the coin toss should've gotten him cut, on the spot. What an a-hole.

Philagape
09-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Never heard of an audible on the coin toss before ...

Doesn't surprise me. He always struck me as arrogant, which was irritating considering how often he crapped the bed here. He was a failure, and they made the right move by moving on, regardless of how much his successors sucked.

Bill Cody
09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Stuff like the last paragraph about the coin toss should've gotten him cut, on the spot. What an a-hole.

So the official report and Bledsoe was wrong but a coaching staff that could not shoot straight to save their lives and was ultimately fired because they thought JP Losman was the answer were right? Personally I doubt that. This sounds like a bunch of sour grapes.

Ebenezer
09-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Doesn't surprise me. He always struck me as arrogant, which was irritating considering how often he crapped the bed here. He was a failure, and they made the right move by moving on, regardless of how much his successors sucked.

As much as you and I disagreed on whether Bledsoe should have continued as the starter or if they should have moved on to Losman, if I had had this info back then then I would have agreed and said to can Bledsoe. A QB can audible but you better be Kelly or Manning to unmind coaches (especially a guy like Belichick).

Bill Cody
09-26-2011, 01:46 PM
that bledsoe era IMO is why we have sucked for the last 10 years.

our franchise didnt go down to the 4-12 5-11 or worse levels we were supposed to be

our picks would have been different

we would have been better sooner

just to remind everyone the bledsoe era never made playoffs

No. Donahoe failed the Bills and he failed Drew Bledsoe by giving him no line. He hired bad coaches. We have drafted terribly for a decade and those clowns had chances early and late and just plain failed. You want to lay that all at Bledsoe's feet? Please.

Oaf
09-26-2011, 01:48 PM

I think he was arrogant on the field/as a player, but remember him as a class act to the city and off the field.

BillsFanCupp38
09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
I liked Drew... He was a much better option than JP in 2005.

Philagape
09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
I liked Drew... He was a much better option than JP in 2005.

I remember at the time that I couldn't think of one loss in 2005 that Bledsoe would have won.

If his problem was having no o-line, then 2005 would have been even worse for him. It was the Gandy-Bennie Anderson era. No way Bledsoe would have overcome that.

Zero
09-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I think he was arrogant on the field/as a player, but remember him as a class act to the city and off the field.

I don't get all the venom directed at Drew. This guy came here and was a class act with the community. Before Fitz came along, he was the last legit QB we have had since Flutie.

BillsFever21
09-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Bledsoe was horrible in Buffalo outside of a decent first season and his last couple seasons in New England wasn't very good. He was also horrible in Dallas. New England knew he was washed up and they duped our stupid and desperate front office into giving them a 1st round pick for him.

Bledsoe came out of the gates quick in his career and lived off that production for the rest of his career. He was washed up before 30 and didn't have the drive or worth ethic/desire to get any better.

Oaf
09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
He wasn't bad in Dal. Tomo pretty much pulled a Brady.

Now I'm not saying he was a pro bowl player we didn't use, but heads should have rolled the way 2005 was handled alone.

DynaPaul
09-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Don't forget that getting him to come to training camps and OTAs from his ranch in Montana was like pulling teeth. The guy wanted to rely more on his arm then he did on his brain. He just wasn't willing to put the work in to take it to the next level but in the NFL raw talent only goes so far.

imbondz
09-26-2011, 07:51 PM
So the official report and Bledsoe was wrong but a coaching staff that could not shoot straight to save their lives and was ultimately fired because they thought JP Losman was the answer were right? Personally I doubt that. This sounds like a bunch of sour grapes.

I agree w/ this. 2003's first 2 games our team was insane. I think it was more terrible coaching back then.

Syderick
09-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Drew was ok, but he held the ball for too long and got sacked alot. The he didn't even try to put much effort. Then he goes to Dallas in 05 and he plays hard there the first year.

MikeInRoch
09-26-2011, 10:28 PM
I had heard this before - definitely about the coin toss.