PDA

View Full Version : Who is Fitz?

Mike
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Who would you compare him to? I think we have Finnaly found our QB for the next decade or so. Fitz is only 28, he could have a very good career here in Buffalo. We just need to provide him with he right pieces, maybe we can even make a run of it.

So, every so often a QB comes out of nowhere or is regarded as a bust/2nd stringer (Brees, Brady, Schaub, etc?). Which QB and what situation would you compare him to?

1. Brees
2. Schaub
3. Hasselback
4. Romo
5. Orton
6. Cassel

imbondz
09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
great question!

BREES!!! but without the his level of confidence and poise just yet, but surely on his way

Mike
09-26-2011, 05:12 PM
I hope so too. I think he has that potential. Brees had a very poor start in the NFL and was considered a wasted pick then in his fourth year, the lights came on. He's short for an NFL QB however he is great at finding the open wr, throwing them open, he accurate, etc... I really like Brees.

Philagape
09-26-2011, 05:14 PM
He's Doug Flutie in a real quarterback's body.

Mike
09-26-2011, 05:19 PM

lol... i don't know about that. Doug Flutie was great to watch, a lot of fun. I remember him scrabbling around, then finding Moulds over the middle for long gains and TDs. It was a very vertical offense, This ones more spread out and Fitz doesnt run around like Flutie. I like Fitz grasp of the game, his ability to read defenses, and make plays...

Night Train
09-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Fitz is 6-2. That makes him 8 inches taller than Flutie, plus he has twice the arm.

A poor mans Brees with twice the brain.

imbondz
09-26-2011, 05:20 PM

boooooooo!

Mike
09-26-2011, 05:21 PM
A poor mans Brees with twice the brain.

It what ways do you think Brees is better?

Philagape
09-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Fitz is 6-2. That makes him 8 inches taller than Flutie, plus he has twice the arm.

Yes, thanks for elaborating on the "real quarterback's body" part

imbondz
09-26-2011, 05:23 PM

he has a SB ring.

Philagape
09-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Brees is the third-most accurate passer in NFL history.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_cmp_perc_career.htm

TheBrownBear
09-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Out of that list, I'll say Brees since he's the only one who is clutch (like Fitz). I still liken him to Delhomme though: A ballsy, inaccurate, gunslinger.

Crisis
09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Please don't put Fitz in the same sentence as Cassel.

imbondz
09-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Brees is the third-most accurate passer in NFL history.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_cmp_perc_career.htm

weird to see Trent Edwards above Jim Kelly. only 3 years, but it's a strange list. wouldn't have thought Romo was that high either.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-26-2011, 05:59 PM
fitz is fitz
the others want to be him :)

Philagape
09-26-2011, 08:14 PM
weird to see Trent Edwards above Jim Kelly.

Throwing the ball five yards every time really helps the pct.

BillsFever21
09-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Throwing the ball five yards every time really helps the pct.

I remember when the Trenters would use his great completion percentage as their case for his great accuracy early in his career. They wouldn't look at the facts they were all dumpoffs that didn't go anywhere.

Then the last year or so he didn't even have a high completion percentage anymore. He couldn't even complete 5 yards passes on a normal basis anymore.

ublinkwescore
09-26-2011, 08:18 PM
i voted brees too.

ServoBillieves
09-26-2011, 08:25 PM
WSS is right. Ryan Fitzpatrick is Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's got an awkward throwing motion, he has a great short and mid ball and a decent long ball, and he's intelligent enough to pick defenses apart with quick passes. One of those slice n' dice type players... I don't see anyone like that on this list.

BillsFever21
09-26-2011, 08:28 PM
There is no way we can put Fitz in the same category as Brees right now. Brees has been doing it for years, has won many games and also has a SB ring.

For those who don't want to compare him to Cassel remember that he did good in New England for one season and that had a great season last year in KC too. It works both ways. We will have to wait and see what we have in Fitzpatrick for the long-term but we need to re-sign him and find out. We haven't had this kind of QB play in Buffalo since Kelly. It's nice to actually watch a real game and not what we saw from Edwards for the past few years and the others. Edwards was real bad though.

I like what I see from Fitzpatrick though. It's way too early to tell where he will be at this time in two years or even next year though. I do know we need to give him a 4 year extension or so and give him the reigns for the near future and see where we go from there. In the meantime I would be looking for a QB of the future to groom. If Fitzpatrick didn't dud out then at least you have trade bait with the younger backup QB.

We need to wait out at least this season and possibly next to see what we really have in Fitzpatrick. He could be similar to Rich Gannon/Kurt Warner or he could be similar to Jake Delhomme who came out of nowhere later in his career and had a few good years and then faded away. Or even worse if he's like Derek Anderson who had one great season.

It could be any of the above. I don't see him as Warner or Gannon but I don't see him as Derek Anderson either. I see him as a step above Delhomme with hopefully being more clutch with a longer lasting power.

BillsFever21
09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Fitzpatrick is a smart QB who is in the right system at the right time with an offensive coach who can utilize his abilities. How long of a staying power either has is yet to be seen. They are in a system that is pretty new to the NFL and if/when teams catch up to the offense it may be a different story after that.

With Gailey he's obviously a great offensive minded coach but we have to wait and see if he's a great HC too. That remains to be seen.

Oaf
09-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Agreed w/ BF- can't put Fitz in the Brees category yet. Not only because of production, but Brees has one of the most consistently accurate balls in the game.

VeggieMan14
09-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Matt Schaub, both are on up and coming teams with lots of fire power on offense

BillsFever21
09-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Matt Schaub, both are on up and coming teams with lots of fire power on offense
If I had to make a comparison out of the group that would be the best one to make. It's still not a perfect comparison though since Schaub has been doing it for a few years now but his teams have busted out down the stretch of the season each year.

As far as comparing the two just on production and team circumstances that would be the best one though. They are both in a good offense with a good offensive minded HC but as we have seen with Houston that doesn't equate to long-term wins. They should win their division this year but by default with Manning being out and the rest of the division being junk.

The past few seasons though the Texans were picked for WC possibilities and two of the years they bombed out after a good start and last year they just flat out were bad and couldn't win early either.

Oaf
09-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Fitz is Fitz, really. I thought Trent made some passes in 07' '08 that looked like Fitz's, but he's really got his own style. Maybe a tad bit of Brett Farve?

Mike
09-27-2011, 01:33 AM
Maybe a poor mans Farve. He does not have Farve's arm or his improve, his magic, but he doesn't have Farves breakdowns and blunders either. He's like a more cerebral version of Farve without the huge arm/physicality.

Mike
09-27-2011, 01:34 AM
its really hard to compare him to anyone else. Bits and pieces of his game fit other players abilities, but overall he is very different than any of them. This is why I created the thread, I could not come with a clear answer. For most players, comparisons like this are much easier.

YardRat
09-27-2011, 05:26 AM
He isn't who we thought he was.

http://rexee-05.vo.llnwd.net/d1/video_image_1/0034/8984300_149_17218.jpg

Dujek
09-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Late round pick who develops into a QB who can grab games by the scruff of the neck and drag his team kicking and screaming to a win, plus he has a girly scream...

Can only compare him to the guy he beat on Sunday.

Extremebillsfan247
09-27-2011, 07:45 AM
I'd have to go with none of the above. I'm going to get ripped for this probably but he kind of mirrors Brady. Not the most physically gifted athlete at QB, overlooked in the draft, but is extremely intelligent, knows how to play the position, and has a HC that knows how to get the best out of his abilities on Sundays. That's as close as that comparison gets though for obvious reasons. lol

justasportsfan
09-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Brees can make tight throws to his wrs that are in double or triple coverage 20+++ yards out. Fitz hasn't shown he can do that yet on a consistent basis.

Figster
09-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Ryan Fitzpatrick is providing a spark to the Buffalo Bills football team that is very reminiscent of a Drew Brees. Fitzy may not quite have the same accuracy or arm strength, but what Fitzpatrick lacks with his throwing arm he makes up for with intelligence.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the franchise QB of the Buffalo Bills...

better days
09-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Kurt Warner said before the Pats* game " Fitz reminds me of me." I think that is the closest comparison.

Figster
09-27-2011, 08:21 AM
hehe, whomever picked Romo should be shot, and you know Tony Romo gives 100%, but this guy is an accident just waiting to happen on every play

Mike
09-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Kurt Warner said before the Pats* game " Fitz reminds me of me." I think that is the closest comparison.

That's very cool. I can see why he would say that. Circumstances are similar, football IQ is high for both players, both like to speed ball around & throw WR open. Neither is that accurate. living in AZ, you can see what a great QB could do for u. Warner took 2 perennial losers (rams & cards) to SB & had a lead in the last minute of all 3 games.