• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

For Bedard: "Wild Card" suggestion

I know myself and others have suggested a potential "draft" and Bedard didn't like that idea, because of the potential of having "big names " taken off the board quickly or at a cheaper price than they normally would go for.

What about a "Wild Card" day...? This could be used once a month, once a week (maybe Wild Card Wednesday?) or whenever, really. Here's how I see it working:

Prior to the auction, Bedard would create his own private list of a predetermined number of girls. Any number from 5 to 10 girls would work. Bedard has stated that he has a "bullpen" of sorts already, so picking 5-10 names off of it shouldn't be tough.

For the auction, Bedard simply puts "Bang or Bucks: Wild Card" with the number of girls on the list being in the first post of the thread, where the pics and time usually are. So, something like "7 girls - 5PM." Bids and everything are handled as normal.

Whoever wins the auction would be PM'd the list the Bedard had predetermined and would be allowed to choose one name for his card. The remaining names would simply go back into the pool, to be used later, either in a normal, flash or wild card auction.

I think it would be another level of strategy on a few levels. How much to bid for an unknown? If you win, you get a sneak peek at some of the girls to come later in the game.

Just a thought to add another element to BoB.

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 09-26-2011, 05:45 PM.
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: For Bedard: "Wild Card" suggestion

I think once we finish up this year I'll look at a draft for 2012.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• BLeonard
      BoB Sabermetrician
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by King Bedard
      I think once we finish up this year I'll look at a draft for 2012.
      Two issues I see with a draft:

1: People who "discover" the game as the year progresses... Kind of puts them at a disadvantage. But, if it's a draft that only is 1-3 rounds, you could potentially let players discovering the game a "supplemental draft" of enough picks to balance it.

2: How do you give the drafted cards a value? Should a higher pick cost more, or should all draft picks have the same value, dollar-wise?

I certainly wouldn't be against a draft in 2012. If you got ideas on what sort of rules you'd want to run a draft under, it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

But, you could still use the wild card idea, whether there is a draft or not in 2012. It's a different way to strategize bidding and (assuming you win) choosing which card you want off of the list.

-Bill
      Last edited by BLeonard; 09-26-2011, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• northernbillfan
        Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

With the "late discovery" you could have an entry draft.
        When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

Why do you guys keep trying to "rethink" the game. Maybe the game is fine as it is. The constant trying to "rethink" to me is what leads to things like the NFL's non-return game now b'cse of the 5 yds extra kick advantage.

Sometimes, things are good as is and should be left alone.

Comment

• BLeonard
            BoB Sabermetrician
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Why do you guys keep trying to "rethink" the game. Maybe the game is fine as it is. The constant trying to "rethink" to me is what leads to things like the NFL's non-return game now b'cse of the 5 yds extra kick advantage.

Sometimes, things are good as is and should be left alone.
            I don't think it's "rethinking" the game as much as it is "expanding" and "evolving' the game. My wild card suggestion wasn't some game altering idea... It was simply an evolution of what we do already... It's not something I suggested appying on a daily basis... I'd suggest once a week at most, but probably shouldn't even be done that often... Make it a sort of "event," like the multiple girl days.

As for the NFL's non return game, you do know that kickoffs were on the 35 before 1994, when they moved them to the 30... It's not like kicking off from the 35 is new...

Personally, I'm just giving Bedard ideas to try... If something doesn't work, you simply don't do it again.

-Bill

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BLeonard
              I don't think it's "rethinking" the game as much as it is "expanding" and "evolving' the game. My wild card suggestion wasn't some game altering idea... It was simply an evolution of what we do already... It's not something I suggested appying on a daily basis... I'd suggest once a week at most, but probably shouldn't even be done that often... Make it a sort of "event," like the multiple girl days.

As for the NFL's non return game, you do know that kickoffs were on the 35 before 1994, when they moved them to the 30... It's not like kicking off from the 35 is new...

Personally, I'm just giving Bedard ideas to try... If something doesn't work, you simply don't do it again.

-Bill
              It just seems like every week or every other week there's constant posting on how to change the game. I get tired of it already. Enough! The game was good enough as is to even get its own sub-forum and for awhile, it was the hottest thread in the TZ.

Tweaks can be added here and there, but maybe this is best when it's over and inbetween this and the start of the next one. Then we can have a thread for suggested improvements and maybe vote on the top 3 that we like or something.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

I think one cool twist be a pairing. Ie bid on two women in one bid and you could do it a few ways. You could have it with two average girls, one super hot and one super not or even maybe a blind pairing where you see one girl but not the other.

Comment

Working...
                X