PDA

View Full Version : Jones emerging as deep threat

justasportsfan
09-27-2011, 07:44 AM
He's been clutch so far. That 4th down catch vs. raiders was huge and so was that throw from Fritz that he batted down. Hope he continues to develop into what I had hope Easley would become. An Eric Moulds for us.

He doesn’t lead the Bills in yards per catch just yet, but on two big plays in Sunday’s landmark win over the New England Patriots Donald Jones showed Buffalo’s future opponents he’s a deep threat that will need to be accounted for in the Bills high-powered passing attack.

Jones entered Sunday’s showdown with Buffalo’s AFC East nemesis with all of six catches for 27 yards. He was coming off a largely unrecognized performance in Week 2, with a pair of receptions on what proved to be Buffalo’s game-winning touchdown drive against Oakland including a 4th-and-3 conversion at the Raiders 24-yard line to keep that drive alive.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Jones-emerging-as-deep-threat/13d20030-207e-40fb-9400-8ba779c1c032

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-27-2011, 07:45 AM
I think he should emerge as someone that can catch the ball first.

justasportsfan
09-27-2011, 07:55 AM
I think he should emerge as someone that can catch the ball first.
:huh:

Forward_Lateral
09-27-2011, 07:58 AM
He more than made up for his drop that resulted in Fitz's first INT.

ddaryl
09-27-2011, 08:07 AM
I think Jones has had some concentrations issues early on, but it looks like he is fighting through them..

The guy is young and has been thrown into the starting roll.... I expect some hiccups. How he plays through them is just as important as clearing them up.

Extremebillsfan247
09-27-2011, 08:08 AM
I don't know about Jones being a deep threat just yet. He did it against the New England secondary. That's not saying a lot since New England is sitting at the bottom of the league in passing defense. When he starts doing it against more competent defenses, I'll start believing that he is capable. JMO

better days
09-27-2011, 08:27 AM
He drops the ball too much for my liking, but he does catch the ball when it is important to do so. Maybe concentration is the issue & he concentrates more when it is crunch time.

I like the fact the Bills have Donald Jones, David Nelson & Scott Chandler besides Stevie Johnson to get the ball to. Kind of reminds me of the Pats* the way Fitz spreads the ball around.

BertSquirtgum
09-27-2011, 09:04 AM
I think he should emerge as someone that can catch the ball consistently first.

fixed

BertSquirtgum
09-27-2011, 09:06 AM
:huh:

he had a few drops in the first half. one of them went through the hands and was the reason the ball was intercepted. reminded me of josh reed when he first started out.

psubills62
09-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Both Jones and Stevie have shown the ability to go deep when needed. Both have shown penchants for drops. Jones has been clutch in the last two games, and Stevie steps up when necessary as well (outside of the Pittsburgh game).

That said, I'd still love to see a Calvin Johnson type of star WR across from Steve Johnson.

justasportsfan
09-27-2011, 09:23 AM
he had a few drops in the first half. one of them went through the hands and was the reason the ball was intercepted. reminded me of josh reed when he first started out.
I agree but he has also caught the ball in crunch time as stated in the article. I guess consistency is the term TGOJK was looking for.

psubills62
09-27-2011, 09:33 AM
“From film work, we saw that those guys like to jump a lot of routes so we got coverage man to man,” said Jones. “Fitz just gave me the signal, we worked on it in practice, we got what we wanted out there, I was patient running the route, a guy jumped it and we made a big play.”
It is beyond refreshing to hear these kinds of things. I can't remember a single time in Jauron's four-years-too-long career here where players were saying things like that. Go into film room, note opponent tendencies and execute well enough to take advantage of them. Jauron made it seem as difficult as memorizing War and Peace.

Bill Cody
09-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Oh great now he's a deep threat? He'll get moved for a 4th.

Jan Reimers
09-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Oh great now he's a deep threat? He'll get moved for a 4th.
Yeah, he won't fit our scheme.

Seriously, though, I don't remember him having really good 40 times. Must be he can get separation, and/or runs good routes, and has better football speed than stop watch speed.

Mad Max
09-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Some things some may not know about Jones that I just discovered.

-he ran a 4.46 forty (not elite... But still fast)
-he had a 41" vertical, second among receivers by .5"
-he did 20 reps on the bench, which put him in a three way tie for first

Combine numbers although impressive on paper mean very little on their own, as there have been countless workout warriors who couldn't actually play football. BUT if someone has measureables+actual football skills such as those demonstrated by Jones' recent performances, well then you might have the makings of a special player.

better days
09-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Some things some may not know about Jones that I just discovered.

-he ran a 4.46 forty (not elite... But still fast)
-he had a 41" vertical, second among receivers by .5"
-he did 20 reps on the bench, which put him in a three way tie for first

Combine numbers although impressive on paper mean very little on their own, as there have been countless workout warriors who couldn't actually play football. BUT if someone has measureables+actual football skills such as those demonstrated by Jones' recent performances, well then you might have the makings of a special player.

Well Chan & Fitz have both been high on him before the season even started, looks like they had reason to be.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Give him some time. He's only a 2nd year player, undrafted I might add.

There is a lot to learn as a WR than just special teams which is where he made the team for last year. Have to say he's on the right path though