• Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Forked Thread: A technical analysis of the Bills offense

Forked from: A technical analysis of the Bills offense

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

I do believe it carries some water. To me, the key for the Bills are 1) Fitz, who must read defense quick in order to get rid of the ball, anticipate well (this is where I think Gailey saw and decided to sack Trent after two games last year); 2) being able to run out of this formation. Again, you can see why Gailey wanted to draft Spiller because physically he can run or be a good receiver. But it is the wily Jackson who showed his shrewd understanding of his role in this offense and got a seamless rapport with Fitz.

On a side note, near the end of the article:
    ------
    Nonetheless, the strategy does have advantages for a team like the Bills that may not have the most gifted athletes. The receivers have to be good route runners and have good hands, but aren't required to be big or unusually fast. The quarterbacks have to throw the ball quicker in the offense, which means subpar offensive lines don't have to block as long.
    -------
    Again, I see why Roscoe was a favorite receiver last year and Gailey wanted to extend him. I'm also wondering about Lee Evans. I strongly believe Evans has good hands. Does that mean he does not run good routes or he can only run good "go" routes?
  • methos4ever
    • Apr 2004

Re: Forked Thread: A technical analysis of the Bills offense

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
    The only issue I have with the article is that they're saying we're copying off of the Pats. In his time with the Steelers, Gailey did a lot of this stuff out of necessity. And the stacked slot receivers were used a ton last year, but the players (or Fitz) at times didn't know where each other were expected to be - I think we're reaping the benefits of year 2 in a system that everyone gets.

In fact, if anyone listen to Pat Kirwan's "Take your Eye off the football" audiobook, Jim Miller, a former Steeler under Gailey mentioned that Chan's offense even has the cadence built into whereever it's going. For instance, runs right during a game might be on one, and runs left on two. So that way, if the play is a bootleg, the tip screws up the defense, as well as keeping the team on the same page with cadence.

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Not sure why you forked an original post and didn't add anything, but OK.

Anyway, my eyebrow found a fishhook when I read this quote:
      For smaller, quicker receivers, like the Bills' Stevie Johnson (or New England's Wes Welker)...
      Huh?
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by psubills62
        Not sure why you forked an original post and didn't add anything, but OK.

Anyway, my eyebrow found a fishhook when I read this quote:

Huh?
        I made a mistake by clicking the wrong button. But I cannot delete my original post. Don't know why?

Anyhow, it is wsj so take it for whatever it is worth.

Comment

Working...
        X