PDA

View Full Version : Power rankings

psubills62
09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
ESPN has us 6th. We've beaten the Pats (3), Raiders (13), and Chiefs (32). So we've moved up from 30th to 6th in just a short 3 weeks.

Of course, the Lions are 3rd, though they've beaten the 14th, 28th and 32nd ranked teams. Two of the teams we've beaten are ranked higher than their best win, yet we're 3 spots lower. Sometimes...you just wonder what people are thinking.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/week/4

CBS has us at #3, with Packers and Lions at 1 and 2 respectively.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings

ddaryl
09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
I could care less about the rating.. The more disrespect we have the happier I am with THIS team....

Figster
09-27-2011, 10:57 AM
The Bills would be the Top seed in the AFC If the playoffs started now, averaging a league high 37 points a game . Home field advantage throughout, If Buffalo defeats the Bungles we will still be the top seed a quarter of the way through the season.

I love it ...:laughing:

DraftBoy
09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
This fan bases fascination with being treated "unfairly" is one of the things Ill never understand.

Forward_Lateral
09-27-2011, 11:07 AM
This fan bases fascination with being treated "unfairly" is one of the things Ill never understand.

Personally, I don't want the attention. Let people keep calling the Bills crappy, and over-looking them. I don't want any media attention brought to the team that can cause distractions. Let them continue to be the unknown underdogs, and make them earn respect by making the playoffs.

DraftBoy
09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Personally, I don't want the attention. Let people keep calling the Bills crappy, and over-looking them. I don't want any media attention brought to the team that can cause distractions. Let them continue to be the unknown underdogs, and make them earn respect by making the playoffs.
I just don't understand how a set of literally meaningless numbers can get some people so worked up.

northernbillfan
09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
As long we allow teams to score 21 and 14 unanswered points, we will remain below the top five.

Forward_Lateral
09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I just don't understand how a set of literally meaningless numbers can get some people so worked up.

Exactly. It's not the BCS.

DraftBoy
09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Exactly. It's not the BCS.

Don't get me started on that ******ed system.

psubills62
09-27-2011, 11:31 AM
:huh:

Does it sound like I'm worked up?

My primary issue with things like power rankings relates directly to my inability to comprehend instances when people show absolutely inane and illogical thinking. And even then, with regards to "caring" it's on the level of me wanting to correct spelling.

TigerJ
09-27-2011, 04:10 PM
As long we allow teams to score 21 and 14 unanswered points, we will remain below the top five.

I was thinking similar thoughts, that Buffalo's defense is being regarded as suspect, and they need to tighten up to show they are a complete team.

Mad Bomber
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
The only thing I like about it is that I get to see a lot more highlights on TV. It's fun to watch our big plays over and over and over and over....

Mad Bomber
09-27-2011, 04:27 PM
After 3 games, calling us the 3rd or 6th best team is ludicrous. It's too small a sample (statistically speaking) to make a judgment just yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about our performance to date, but that's just too soon. The Bills need to show consistency in winning. We can't expect to fall behind double digits and consistently come back. I have concerns about our defense.

If (am I allowed to use that word, or am I being presumptuous?) the Bills revert to their old ways by getting our hopes up and then kicking us in the nads, then our "power rankings" will take a nose dive (since that's negative, then I guess it's OK for me to use "if" - many of you will know what I'm referring to).

Anyway, I'm just enjoying the ride right now. I like the attitude this team has, based on the players' and Chan's comments following the Pats* victory. This team is on the first steps to building a winning culture. First step...learn to win the games you used to lose. Second step...learn to "deal with prosperity" (per Chan) and win the games you should - don't get full of yourselves. Third step...just win, baby!

Johnny Bugmenot
09-27-2011, 09:07 PM
It's people's opinions. Everyone has one, it doesn't mean they're meaningless. Heck, by that logic, the entire premise of this board is meaningless. Don't get too worked up about it. Ranking things is only natural.

imbondz
09-27-2011, 09:17 PM
After 3 games, calling us the 3rd or 6th best team is ludicrous. It's too small a sample (statistically speaking) to make a judgment just yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about our performance to date, but that's just too soon. The Bills need to show consistency in winning. We can't expect to fall behind double digits and consistently come back. I have concerns about our defense.

If (am I allowed to use that word, or am I being presumptuous?) the Bills revert to their old ways by getting our hopes up and then kicking us in the nads, then our "power rankings" will take a nose dive (since that's negative, then I guess it's OK for me to use "if" - many of you will know what I'm referring to).

Anyway, I'm just enjoying the ride right now. I like the attitude this team has, based on the players' and Chan's comments following the Pats* victory. This team is on the first steps to building a winning culture. First step...learn to win the games you used to lose. Second step...learn to "deal with prosperity" (per Chan) and win the games you should - don't get full of yourselves. Third step...just win, baby!

but then it's too small a sample for every team. we've earned respect around the league, and that respect i'm sure spills into the locker room. i love it

RoscoeMagic
09-27-2011, 09:28 PM
The only reason the Lions are perceived to be better than the Bills is because they're "name" players are first round picks. Ours are 7th rounders and undrafteds.

**** em all. In Fitz I trust.

Electrici
09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Power rankings are fun to look at but I truly wish everyone would stop making them since they are completely useless.

MikeNC
09-28-2011, 01:28 AM
The only reason the Lions are perceived to be better than the Bills is because they're "name" players are first round picks. Ours are 7th rounders and undrafteds.

**** em all. In Fitz I trust.

That and everyone expected the Lions to do better than Buffalo this year...You know everyone is just waiting for Buffalo to start pooping the bed..

kishoph
09-28-2011, 04:12 AM
I don't put a lot of stock into the rankings, it's nice to see the BILLS near the top but, it doesn't affect my thoughts about the team, the same as when they were ranked #31. I do wonder though, if this is the fastest a team has risen from the bottom to near the top.

jamze132
09-28-2011, 04:27 AM
If the Bills lose Sunday, they will will go back into the 20s.

ublinkwescore
09-28-2011, 12:12 PM

CHAN GAILEY FOR PRESIDENT 2012

RoscoeMagic
09-28-2011, 12:16 PM
CHAN GAILEY FOR PRESIDENT 2012

Then who would be our coach?

:sadwalk:

Syderick
09-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I was thinking similar thoughts, that Buffalo's defense is being regarded as suspect, and they need to tighten up to show they are a complete team.

The run D is much better then it was last year. The pass D is still the same, but they're playing a bend, but don't break defense.

ublinkwescore
09-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Then who would be our coach?

:sadwalk:

Chan Gailey can do it all buddy.

stuckincincy
09-28-2011, 02:49 PM

Risking rocks thrown my way - but BUF fans are known far and wide as being the most whiny out there. Sorry, folks. Leave town and ask the natives.

Every season, the NFL revenue machine seems to dub a few teams as this year's "darlings" Helps pump up the ratings and the advertising dollars.

I haven't seen a game of theirs for going on 5 years - are they getting the breaks, the close calls? It's pretty hard for me to think that a 4 -12 club has been able to engineer these deep comebacks, knowing that most of us commented about a weak OL and a very statistically low defense. And I don't think that we were collectively - dumb.

Now, we see them doing all these marvelous things..

better days
09-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Risking rocks thrown my way - but BUF fans are known far and wide as being the most whiny out there. Sorry, folks. Leave town and ask the natives.

Every season, the NFL revenue machine seems to dub a few teams as this year's "darlings" Helps pump up the ratings and the advertising dollars.

I haven't seen a game of theirs for going on 5 years - are they getting the breaks, the close calls? It's pretty hard for me to think that a 4 -12 club has been able to engineer these deep comebacks, knowing that most of us commented about a weak OL and a very statistically low defense. And I don't think that we were collectively - dumb.

You say you haven't seen a game in FIVE YEARS, but you feel qualified to comment on how good they are, OK.

better days
09-28-2011, 02:59 PM

Well, where would you have the Bills ranked after three WINS & NO losses? 27? The Sample size is the SAME for EVERY team.

If the Bills lose, then as you said the ranking should & will take a nose dive, but at THIS POINT the Bills should be ranked up there with the best because they have WON up to THIS POINT. The rankings CHANGE week by week.

ublinkwescore
09-28-2011, 03:47 PM

TROLL!!!

JoeMama
09-28-2011, 03:56 PM
ESPN has us 6th. We've beaten the Pats (3), Raiders (13), and Chiefs (32). So we've moved up from 30th to 6th in just a short 3 weeks.

Of course, the Lions are 3rd, though they've beaten the 14th, 28th and 32nd ranked teams. Two of the teams we've beaten are ranked higher than their best win, yet we're 3 spots lower. Sometimes...you just wonder what people are thinking.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/week/4

CBS has us at #3, with Packers and Lions at 1 and 2 respectively.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings

It boils down to the Lions have more "big names" on the roster.

First overall draft pick, Drew Stafford. First rounder, Megatron. Monsters like Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley on D.

When you have household names on your roster, the national media is more likely to recognize you.

We're doing it with 7th rounders and undrafted free agents, which makes it way more impressive anyway.

stuckincincy
You say you haven't seen a game in FIVE YEARS, but you feel qualified to comment on how good they are, OK.

I didn't comment on how good they are.

Yep - 5 years - that would be 5 losing seasons. BUF/CIN - the same...owner stocked up with family and friends in the office, whose skill is pulling milk from the NFL cash cow.

Both outfits take the old adage about the sports biz to the extreme - sports being one of the few business endeavors that can scrape their feet off on the faces of their customers, confident that they will come back for more and more, year after year.

stuckincincy
TROLL!!!

CLOWN!!!

ublinkwescore
09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
was a joke?

ublinkwescore
09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
i can't tell... buffalo is legit. just accept it.

better days
09-28-2011, 04:13 PM

Well in this post you are QUESTIONING how the Bills were able to WIN this year. Breaks, Close calls...... Well READ what people that have SEEN them play have to say then you will know how they have been able to win.

stuckincincy
09-28-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd be happy to hear from people who have SEEN them win these 3 games.

Happy to hear them tell me how, despite all we have said here about their OL and defense, how they are able to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat, protect the QB against sacks, pull off spectacular run plays, toss 10 receptions to wrs, get spiffy, timely interceptions, and so on.

It's uncanny.

psubills62
09-28-2011, 05:44 PM
It boils down to the Lions have more "big names" on the roster.

First overall draft pick, Drew Stafford. First rounder, Megatron. Monsters like Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley on D.

When you have household names on your roster, the national media is more likely to recognize you.

We're doing it with 7th rounders and undrafted free agents, which makes it way more impressive anyway.
Apparently he's still not a big enough name, because it's Matt Stafford.

paranoid
09-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Right, as opposed to the iron-faced, rigidly rational stoics who make up the rest of the NFL fan bases.

Down here in Steeler country, the Black and Gold have an off game against Indy, which they still won, and the airwaves are resounding with howling and gnashing of teeth. And they went to the freaking Super Bowl last year.

You may benefit from a broader sampling of human nature before making such sweeping statements.