PDA

View Full Version : 20 Things Angry Buffalo Fans Wrote To A Female Sports Columnist Who Criticized The Bi

mikemac2001
09-29-2011, 08:56 PM
http://deadspin.com/5845099/20-things-angry-buffalo-fans-wrote-to-a-female-sports-columnist-who-criticized-the-bills

Last week, Jennifer Gish—a sportswriter who is a woman—wrote a column for the Albany Times Union that questioned "whether the Bills faithful had a right to demand respect after a 2-0 start." After it was published, some Bills fans wrote to Gish. Here is what they told her (I've taken out the newspaper's demure asterisks and restored the naughty words):

1. "I wish I could lick those smug tears off your face."

2. "...you are some worthless female who does not know anything about sports."

EricStratton
09-29-2011, 08:59 PM
None are very creative

mikemac2001
09-29-2011, 09:03 PM
None are very creative

i was posting it because i remember the thread and people were like i am going to write....who cares...just stumbled upon it

deadspin.com is a funny site for sports clips if anyone hasn't been there

B-DON
09-29-2011, 09:08 PM
So which one is from Hurkey? Lol I'm guessing 14

paranoid
Some embarrassing, troglodyte stuff there. She obviously selected the most offensive ones to make herself look like a martryr.

Her original article was a mean-spirited little piece of nastiness. She then took the most ignorant and misogynist of the replies and then sought to make herself into a victim by presenting them the next week.

Garbage journalism. And, some embarrassing stupidity demonstrated by dumb-ass Bills fans who fell right into her trap.

trapezeus
the irritating thing about this is that she wrote a really mean spirited piece on buffalo fans. and she took her low blows at the fans. now i'm not saying what some of the worst people said are right, but she had to know that she was going to get trash talked when she started it.

then she writes a follow up piece to be like, look at the mean things said to me and they say girls can't be into sports.

I don't think what was said was right, especially the ones that knock her looks and are serious, but the ones that are tongue in cheek are just givign it back to her like she gave it out.

IF these were the responses she got for a normal piece, i'd say, "wow people are ****ed up." but she started the fire and then is acting like the victim. Very annoying.

RoscoeMagic
09-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Some embarrassing, troglodyte stuff there. She obviously selected the most offensive ones to make herself look like a martryr.

Her original article was a mean-spirited little piece of nastiness. She then took the most ignorant and misogynist of the replies and then sought to make herself into a victim by presenting them the next week.

Garbage journalism. And, some embarrassing stupidity demonstrated by dumb-ass Bills fans who fell right into her trap.

Of course that's what she did. And that's why she deserves every one of them. Sports is a male dominant culture, I don't know what else she expects. That's like a man working for The View and not expecting women to rag on him all the time.

Thurmal
09-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Her original column was unnecessarily mean-spirited and was completely unprovoked. She went out of her way to bring up sensitive subjects to Bills fans (jokes about the city's culture, the team moving, the city "practically being part of Canada", the Super Bowl losses, Wide Right, etc.). She was looking to touch a nerve and she did. On top of all that, she took a harmless quote from a 82-year old woman and made her look like a fool.

Were those insults in good taste? No way. Did she have it coming? You better believe it. And she would've gotten the same thing had she done a hatchet job like that on any other city.

I don't feel sorry for her one bit. You want to talk ****, expect to get some **** flung back.

ServoBillieves
09-29-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm not gonna sugar coat it, what a *****. She deserved every response no matter how rude. She used her freedom of speech, fans used theirs. Whoever posted the martyr comment was right, she turned it in to her defense. We beat the Pats and are 3-0, and that means very little in the grand scheme but a lot this week to Bills fans, so why **** on our parade?

She can kiss my ass, I'm getting sooooo sick of journalism, and people wonder why no one buys the paper anymore...

Extremebillsfan247
09-30-2011, 03:00 AM
the irritating thing about this is that she wrote a really mean spirited piece on buffalo fans. and she took her low blows at the fans. now i'm not saying what some of the worst people said are right, but she had to know that she was going to get trash talked when she started it.

then she writes a follow up piece to be like, look at the mean things said to me and they say girls can't be into sports.

I don't think what was said was right, especially the ones that knock her looks and are serious, but the ones that are tongue in cheek are just givign it back to her like she gave it out.

IF these were the responses she got for a normal piece, i'd say, "wow people are ****ed up." but she started the fire and then is acting like the victim. Very annoying. There's nothing wrong with criticizing a writers blog, story, opinion, etc. They have to know if your going to publicize something, it will be criticized. However, regardless of what she wrote, it's ignorant to attack her personally for having an opinion. JMO

mr_kotter
09-30-2011, 03:18 AM
None are very creative

"I wish I could lick those smug tears off your face." is hilarious :laughing:

MikeNC
09-30-2011, 03:38 AM
Pasted from the Washington Post:

After having read the initial article I can see why she's gotten such a strong response. I'm a Dolphins fan and no fan of the Bills by any stretch. The vulgar emails were uncalled for; however she did not post any of the more sensible emails she received of which I am sure there were many. We have "journalists" like this down here in Florida too; anything to get a rise out of people. What she did was attack the fans of a team. If she were writing something like this for Giants there is no she gets away with attacking the people of New York for believing in the Giants. NO WAY.

She took a cheap shot at a group of people for believing in a team that represents the area of our country they live in. What she did and seems to not acknowledge, was to mock the very nature of being a fan.

TMu11
09-30-2011, 04:57 AM
12. "Maybe you should stay in the kitchen next time."

^ My favorite. The rest were far too mean spirited and personal. It's a shame these Bills "fans" had to resort to such a level, when we've always been known for winning (losing) with class.

Jan Reimers
09-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Her original column was unnecessarily mean-spirited and was completely unprovoked. She went out of her way to bring up sensitive subjects to Bills fans (jokes about the city's culture, the team moving, the city "practically being part of Canada", the Super Bowl losses, Wide Right, etc.). She was looking to touch a nerve and she did. On top of all that, she took a harmless quote from a 82-year old woman and made her look like a fool.
Living in Albany - a city that has nothing going for it except the mighty New York State government - has obviously made her envious and hateful of people who live in a vibrant city like Buffalo, with major sports teams and tons of things going on.

clumping platelets
09-30-2011, 05:22 AM
I also like how Channel 2 :loser: made her out to be a victim /sarcasm

ddaryl
09-30-2011, 06:10 AM

That's pretty much the jist of it all right there.

That's the way the media works... get people all worked up... they'll show up outraged, the website hits increase and so do the advertising $$$

She doesn't care, she just increased her bottom line, so all those angry Bills fans who actually thought they would tell her off did nothing but make her more relevant.

and yes its embarassing... best thing is to just ignore these people..

X-Era
09-30-2011, 06:16 AM
I'd prefer a SB win with sportsmanship and class.

Although I did tell Joe B. at WGR to quit slurping his gay hero Marcia Brady last week...

Mr. Miyagi
09-30-2011, 06:28 AM
My comment to her would've been: "Bucks".

better days
09-30-2011, 07:09 AM

What I find amusing is the fact this Woman felt the need to devote an entire column to let the World see the insults hurled at her.

What sports columnist writes an insulting, inflammatory column about not only a sports team, but an entire city & does not expect to have fans of that team & residents of that City respond in kind?

Hell, Jerry Sullivan could probably take a two week vacation if the Buffalo News ran insults directed at him in his column.

ddaryl
09-30-2011, 07:34 AM
What sports columnist writes an insulting, inflammatory column about not only a sports team, but an entire city & does not expect to have fans of that team & residents of that City respond in kind?

One that aspires to be Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Howard Stern or any of the other shock journalist/media personalities out there.

Of course she expected it, she set it up for exactly that. Do you really think she didn't know the end result... If you ask me she played Bills fans like a fiddle and got the exact resposnce she was fishing for.

That's why people need to just ignore stuff like this and move along. Why bring relevance to it.

mikemac2001
09-30-2011, 07:38 AM
One that aspires to be Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, Howard Stern or any of the other shock journalist/media personalities out there.

Of course she expected it, she set it up for exactly that. Do you really think she didn't know the end result... If you ask me she played Bills fans like a fiddle and got the exact resposnce she was fishing for.

That's why people need to just ignore stuff like this and move along. Why bring relevance to it.

Thats what annoyed me with the post about sending her emails its just stupid

shes a *unt and just move on. people just gave her more attention

again why i posted to show just ignore dumb f's like this

OpIv37
09-30-2011, 07:45 AM

This post pretty much nailed it.

You rarely, if ever, see male sportswriters complaining about the hate mail they receive. At worst, they mention it in passing. I can't remember any male sportswriter ever devoting an entire article to addressing hate mail.

In the end, it comes down with this: If you want to work in a man's world, then take your shots like a man. Don't call out an entire city/fan base then get pissed when they respond.

Dr. Lecter
09-30-2011, 07:53 AM
This post pretty much nailed it.

You rarely, if ever, see male sportswriters complaining about the hate mail they receive. At worst, they mention it in passing. I can't remember any male sportswriter ever devoting an entire article to addressing hate mail.

In the end, it comes down with this: If you want to work in a man's world, then take your shots like a man. Don't call out an entire city/fan base then get pissed when they respond.
I don't disagree, but the responses to a woman tend to be much more mean spirited than responses to a male.

OpIv37
09-30-2011, 08:00 AM
I don't disagree, but the responses to a woman tend to be much more mean spirited than responses to a male.

When people are responding in anger, they are trying to get a reaction. They are going to go for the low blow. It was a female, so they sent her sexist stuff. If it was a black guy, they would have said racist stuff, if it was a gay guy, they would have called him a *** and made dick jokes, etc.

That doesn't make it right, but it's a very predictable reaction and she got what she wanted.

trapezeus
09-30-2011, 08:32 AM
she went after the most sensative parts of buffalo fandom. if she was a man in his early 30's and said the same thing, it would have still evoked alot of reaction. I mean for godsakes, leodis dropped a return, plays on the team we love, lives in a town we care about, and he got his lawn vandalized.

People take it too seriously at times, but they are in the minority. Put it on a message board and all of a sudden people are really going to do the dumbest thing possible.

I still think she asked for a hateful response. I also don't see what that piece was run in the first place. What "news" did it get across? That most of albany thinks they are awesome merely for being within 3 hours of NYC and as a result are more cultured and less run down than buffalo?

I think the editors are to blame for letting this fluff piece run. i think the good people of albany would have rather read another football article about matchups or stats than a purely op-ed piece for a region that actually has fans in it.

Historian
09-30-2011, 09:06 AM
The funny thing is, that even though we have a pretty spirited rivalry against the Jets, when they're not playing us, I kinda pull for them, as I have a several NYC people I know. Same with the Giants...I wish them well.

Even Cleveland, which is only 175 miles away.

I never understood this childish "My team's better than your team" crap.

Especially from someone who doesn't even live in an NFL city.

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2011, 09:13 AM
So which one is from Hurkey? Lol I'm guessing 14

Nope, Mine could have been #13, I wrote. How does that crow taste you stupid ugly *****? Go **** yourself.

ParanoidAndroid
09-30-2011, 11:24 AM
None are very creative

I'm sure the constructive and creative ones were not used for this piece. I mean, who cares about those?

justasportsfan
09-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Thats what annoyed me with the post about sending her emails its just stupid

shes a *unt and just move on. people just gave her more attention

again why i posted to show just ignore dumb f's like this

she probably made up all those emails to make it look that she's getting some and making bills fans look bad too.

Cntrygal
09-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Too bad everyone just didn't send the same message saying, "We don't feed Trolls". That would have been hysterical.

bf1
09-30-2011, 11:55 AM
She got what she wanted. Attention and page views.

Ebenezer
09-30-2011, 12:07 PM
She got what she wanted. Attention and page views.

any attention is good promotion....sadly.

DraftBoy
09-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Its just sad...

Dr. Lecter
09-30-2011, 12:23 PM
I never understood this childish "My team's better than your team" crap.

Especially from someone who doesn't even live in an NFL city.

Except when it comes to Miami, of course.

ServoBillieves
09-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Sorry Doc, but where's the evidence behind that? Sure, there were jabs at her being a woman and not knowing sports, but man I've seen some terrible things sent to male writers.

If her feelings are hurt, boo frickety hoo (I'm not pointing anything else to you Doc so disregard the next few) she knows what journalism is, she knows it's dog eat dog, and she pretty much pulled a Pat Moran. How many people can I stir up and piss off so that I can grab their attention? A ton? OH NO BUT THEY SAID MEAN THINGS ABOUT ME!!!! ZOMG I'll write an article about how mean they are! Waaaah!

She asked for it, if she didn't, then she's just a complete idiot.

Dujek
09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
She's a talentless hack who did what she needed to do to get national attention. Which was to act like the whore she is.

christhebillsfan783
09-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Wow, just read the original article and that was asking for the reactions she got. I've seen bias against the bills in sports media but that article was just flat out obnoxious. I got a little upset reading it and seeing all the shots she takes at us. Not cool.

bf1
09-30-2011, 03:31 PM
bucks:
http://www.timesunion.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=259669

Dujek
09-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Rather than post my full thoughts here, I stuck them on the TSPR blog.

If you want to read my take, the link's here:

http://tspowerrankings.blogspot.com/2011/09/jennifer-gish-and-hack-journalism-rant.html