PDA

View Full Version : Moats back to OLB

RoscoeMagic
09-30-2011, 01:16 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/9/30/2460219/buffalo-bills-arthur-moats-moving-back-to-olb?ref=yahoo

It's only been one practice, so it remains to be seen whether the move is permanent. For now, however, Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/buffalo-bills) linebacker Arthur Moats (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108463/arthur-moats) is playing on the outside (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/09/30/moats-update-2/) once again.

After making a name for himself as a pass rusher in the latter half of his rookie season - in which he recorded 2.5 sacks, a forced fumble and famously ended the consecutive games played streak of Brett Favre - Moats was moved back inside for training camp. It's where he started his NFL career, too, despite playing defensive end at James Madison. Though he's best as a rusher, Buffalo's coaching staff cited his lack of prototypical size as rationale for the move inside.

Buffalo has been experimenting at outside linebacker all year. Alex Carrington, a 305-pound defensive end, began the season there, but has since moved back to end. Spencer Johnson, another 300-pounder, has been playing there for the last two-plus weeks. Now, they're joined by Moats - perhaps to help try to kick-start the team's pass rush.

Why was it so hard to leave him there in the first place? We obviously need a pass rush. Oh well, great move now hope he stays there for good :air:

psubills62
09-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah, it was a bit of a mystery to me as well. I know buffalorumblings said before that Gailey and co. like him as an athletic every-down ILB...however, I would think that's what they drafted Sheppard for.

mikemac2001
09-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah, it was a bit of a mystery to me as well. I know buffalorumblings said before that Gailey and co. like him as an athletic every-down ILB...however, I would think that's what they drafted Sheppard for.

I think with the injuries and the delay with sheppard they wanted to focus him there because they always knew they could swap him to the OLB if needed.

psubills62
09-30-2011, 01:33 PM
I think with the injuries and the delay with sheppard they wanted to focus him there because they always knew they could swap him to the OLB if needed.
With the way he's bounced back and forth between them, he could end up being valuable depth at the very least for both positions.

I'm still hoping for more development from Moats and Batten. Would like to see them earn more PT.

John Doe
09-30-2011, 01:44 PM
With the way he's bounced back and forth between them, he could end up being valuable depth at the very least for both positions.

I'm still hoping for more development from Moats and Batten. Would like to see them earn more PT.

Batten seems to be getting his share of playing time. He usually gets into the games when Merriaman needs a breather.

trapezeus
09-30-2011, 01:45 PM
remember when moats was the only bright spot on the team, and now, no one really cares what is going on with him.

Homegrown
09-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Don't ....crosss....the....

madness
09-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Don't ....crosss....the....

..... just run to the outside when he fails to set the edge. Hopefully that is a part of the game he's been working on.

RoscoeMagic
09-30-2011, 03:24 PM
remember when moats was the only bright spot on the team, and now, no one really cares what is going on with him.
They should care. We have two sacks in three games.

Michael82
09-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Finally! He's the pass rushing LB that we need right now.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-30-2011, 05:35 PM
we really need a outside speed edge rusher guy right now...

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm glad to hear this with the lack of pass rush so far this year. Hopefully Moats will be able to get in the backfield as often as he was last year.

ALL D
09-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Moats hits hard but Kelsays play has been decent this season. I praise the move. This damn defense needs to wakeup!!

Beebe
09-30-2011, 08:32 PM
I like it.

Meathead
09-30-2011, 08:57 PM
i just wish we had a defensive guru on staff that could properly make those calls

oh wait

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2011, 10:17 PM
i just wish we had a defensive guru on staff that could properly make those calls

oh wait

I still think George Edwards sucks. I wish Gailey would demote him to linebacker coach and promote Davey W.

TigerJ
10-01-2011, 07:13 PM

I'm still hoping for more development from Moats and Batten. Would like to see them earn more PT.On one hand, yeah, he could be increasing his value by becoming pretty versatile. On the other hand, I wonder if the repeated switching impedes his development. Maybe the Bills think he only has a limited ceiling in any case due to his measurables.

YardRat
10-02-2011, 11:39 AM
What the hell has the 'stache done to get a promotion?