PDA

View Full Version : Did Corner do a better job than A. Williams on Welker?

ghz in pittsburgh
09-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Just some talking with my friends at lunch.

One guy insisted that Reggie had always been on Welker in the past and did a reasonable job. It is mostly A. Williams who was schooled by Welker this past Sunday. He even went as far as saying after Corner came in for Williams, Welker was not as effective as before.

I don't know if any of you have paid close attention to the plays of A. Williams and R. Corner on Welker.

trapezeus
09-30-2011, 02:32 PM
i didn't. but for the most part everyone on the d screwed the pooch on coverage.

the first touchdown florence slipped. Other times LB's were running with welker, there were times that williams got burned.

The second half of the game changed because of the INT's and not because of welker being better covered.

they all need a little help on speedsters on the crossing pattern and the gigantic TE running into the second level.

jamze132
09-30-2011, 02:45 PM
If anything, Welker got tired.

Figster
09-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Just some talking with my friends at lunch.

One guy insisted that Reggie had always been on Welker in the past and did a reasonable job. It is mostly A. Williams who was schooled by Welker this past Sunday. He even went as far as saying after Corner came in for Williams, Welker was not as effective as before.

I don't know if any of you have paid close attention to the plays of A. Williams and R. Corner on Welker.

Reggie Corner did a good job on Welker in the 2nd half of the football game in my opinion. Corner almost seems to have a calming effect on the Bills secondary

DraftBoy
09-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Well that's good because he's about the only player Corner can cover.

justasportsfan
09-30-2011, 03:16 PM
yeah, Corner is quick but not fast. If Corner had to cover anyone bigger than Welker, he tends to be in trouble.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-30-2011, 07:37 PM
If that's case, then I have a problem w/ the coaching staff. I don't know going into the NE game, the priority should be developing young guys like A. Williams.

Ickybaluky
09-30-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't know if they matched up one-on-one a lot. Williams was hurt near the end of the 3rd quarter, and the Pats didn't run a lot of plays after that. Brady threw picks early in the next 2 drives, then they had a long drive for a TD (which Welker was a big part of). They didn't see the ball again.

Here are the plays in the gamebook that involved Welker after Williams was hurt:

(:56) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker to BUF 32 for 9 yards (27-R.Corner). Caught at BUF 32.

(15:00) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short right to 83-W.Welker (27-R.Corner). Receiver and coverage at BUF 32, crossing from middle.

1-10-NE 46
(13:11) 83-W.Welker right end pushed ob at BUF 35 for 19 yards (37-G.Wilson). End-around, handoff from T.Brady.

(8:23) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 83-W.Welker (90-C.Kelsay). Pass tipped at line (intended receiver at BUF 30).

(8:12) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker to BUF 36 for 5 yards (31-J.Byrd). Caught in flat at BUF 36. W.Welker tied NE record with 13 rec.

(6:16) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short right to 83-W.Welker pushed ob at BUF 13 for 20 yards (21-L.McKelvin). Caught at BUF 30, crossing from middle. W.Welker sets new NE record with 14 rec.

(5:37) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short middle to 83-W.Welker to BUF 1 for 12 yards (29-D.Florence). Caught at BUF 5, slanting from left.

(3:37) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short left to 83-W.Welker (31-J.Byrd). Receiver and coverage 1 yd. into end zone.

(3:33) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass short left to 83-W.Welker for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN [95-K.Williams]. Caught at BUF 1, slanting from middle.

Welker had 6 catches for 54 yards and a TD in about a quarter after Williams was hurt. He also had a 19 yard run. He had a couple times he was targeted but was incomplete and another when a ball was tipped at the line.

Seems like he was about the same before and after, no matter who was in coverage.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks Icky for clarification.

The last Welker's TD was the most discouraging play of the whole game for me. They had it covered tight all over and Brady's pocket squeezed to no room and he had to throw it. That was fine except the Bills did not do a good job in positioning to tackle Welker well. A little better positioning could mean tackle Welker outside of the end zone.

tampabay25690
09-30-2011, 10:18 PM
I dont think anyone could cover Welker on Sunday the guy was unreal.....
Slot guys that do crossing routes is the hardest thing to cover...
WE won so its all good...

Mahdi
09-30-2011, 10:44 PM
IMO, Williams on Welker is a huge mismatch. Williams is a big, heavy corner while Welker is a short, shifty WR with crazy change of direction skills. I think the coaching staff got that one majorly wrong.

With the only other two options being Florence or McKelvin I guess they didn't have much choice cause they wouldn't have done much better. Which is why cutting Corner was a surprise in the first place.

With today's NFL, you need a shorter, quicker corner to deal with these slot guys like Bess, Welker, Holmes, Parrish, Lance Moore etc. Using the big CBs that are more used to covering the 6'3 receivers is not going to work.

Justin Rogers is the type of guy you want in the slot though. Very athletic and quick with good hips. Corner is not quite the athlete Rogers is but is still a better fit in the slot than our other CBs.

Hopefully Rogers picks things up quick.

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Blame George Edwards. That's what I do. He never seems to make adjustments.

TigerJ
09-30-2011, 11:50 PM
I think Corner might be a good player to put on Welker because they have similar body types. Neither is real big. Neither is super fast (not turtles either), but both have good quickness. If you don't have good change of direction, I think Welker's going to make you look pretty bad. Aaron Williams, being a bigger receiver, may have a little tougher time staying with Welker. Corner, I think, struggles the most with big physical receivers because he's pretty small, and not very physical.

kishoph
10-01-2011, 03:25 AM
IMO, Williams on Welker is a huge mismatch. Williams is a big, heavy corner while Welker is a short, shifty WR with crazy change of direction skills. I think the coaching staff got that one majorly wrong.

The play by play is wrong on that, it was BARNETT with the coverage and McKELVIN made the attempted stop, WILLIAMS had BRADY in his grasp and almost pulled him down. The Defense was right for that play, WELKER just beat BARNETT across the field.

Mahdi
10-01-2011, 07:37 AM
The play by play is wrong on that, it was BARNETT with the coverage and McKELVIN made the attempted stop, WILLIAMS had BRADY in his grasp and almost pulled him down. The Defense was right for that play, WELKER just beat BARNETT across the field.
I wasn't talking about any particular play. I was talking about the fact that Williams was on Welker for the majority of the game.

Scott was on Welker a couple times too and got burned.

kishoph
10-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I wasn't talking about any particular play. I was talking about the fact that Williams was on Welker for the majority of the game.

Scott was on Welker a couple times too and got burned.

Got ya. The play by play is wrong on that play though.

Oaf
10-01-2011, 10:37 AM
That might be true, but he indeed stick closer to the WRs than Williams did.