PDA

View Full Version : Now a Breakdown of Gailey's 4 Wide Set

ghz in pittsburgh
09-30-2011, 08:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/32126/inside-the-buffalo-bills-offense

I wanted to point out that it was very true about receivers blocking down field. I noticed that as a big difference between this year and years past. Bruschi mentioned that Freddy Jackson catching the ball and ran 10 yards before a NE player was near him "is in itself a problem." I contribute this to downfield blocking.

I want to go back to the question of Lee Evans, probably the biggest iffy move on most Bills' fan. It looked to me that Evans offers something special to the 4 wide set. Could it really be that he cannot run good routes other than "go" route and he's not much a downfield blocker that doomed his fate in Buffalo? I do think his age and rapid decline of speedsters over 30 plays a role in the decision.

My biggest concern here is Spiller. If he cannot block effectively, he's simply not a fit for this offense. Right now, I see very little evidence that he can do this.

Meathead
09-30-2011, 09:10 PM
in a preseason interview (shredd and regan i beleed) buddy all but said point blank that lee didnt want to take the hits running and blocking over the middle at this stage of his career. thats why lee didnt fit in this offense and why they traded him

ServoBillieves
09-30-2011, 11:28 PM
And Lee has done what in Baltimore? Is he that missed? Stevie, Chandler, Nelson, Jones... I'm good with our young receivers.

Buddo
10-01-2011, 04:59 AM
One of the keys to how Gailey uses his WRs, is to have them all able to run most of the routes. Versatility is the key, and having that, allows Gailey to create miss-matches between different guys.
It also allows Fitz to change things up a bit, when he sees a certain guy who will be in coverage in a certain area, as he can send the WR he likes most to take advantage of that match up.
To do that though, you need all of your WRs prepared and able, to run all the routes.

FWIW, I think one thing that Evans did do pretty well, was block downfield - I've seen him make plenty, and often ones that made a difference.
His problem, was as much in one of timing with Fitz, as anything else, imho. They hooked up occasionally, but not that often. Add into that the fact that Evans overall route running didn't appear to be that great, and I can see why they made the move. Fitz seems to be able to hit all of the other guys in the O, at will, but you never got that sense with him and Evans.
Losman could hook up with Evans, pretty well, but couldn't hit anyone else to save his life.

ddaryl
10-01-2011, 07:08 AM
I think Spiller is getting much better at the blocking..... Still needs some work in rounding out his game, but in what he has done so far this year he looks to be a solid step above last year.

That's fine as long as he continues to develop..

better days
10-01-2011, 07:40 AM
And Lee has done what in Baltimore? Is he that missed? Stevie, Chandler, Nelson, Jones... I'm good with our young receivers.

Lee has been injured from about the time he got to Baltimore. He will be out Sunday.

k-oneputt
10-01-2011, 07:41 AM
I think Spiller has all the skill in the world but could use a little toughness and chip on the shoulder attitude like Freddie has.

mayotm
10-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Lee has been injured from about the time he got to Baltimore. He will be out Sunday.I don't want to get into a big thing about Lee. However, he hadn't done anything before he got hurt. He had 2 catches for 45 yards in two games. After his injury, he was replaced in the starting lineup last week by Torrey Smith. Smith went on to have 5 catches for 152 yards and 3 TD's. Meanwhile in Buffalo, the WR's are all producing. I know you and many others have a soft spot for Lee, but he simply doesn't appear to be the same player he was a few years back. Frankly, I don't know why his name keeps coming up around here. He's no longer a Bill. Time for us all to turn the page.

acehole
10-01-2011, 11:09 AM
For me spiller just looks slow...

He isnt physical.

He doent look as elusive as billed.

In this system he can do some damage against linbackers and safties...

But I never see him get beyone the line of scrimage.

He should be used in space so he can make first man miss but I never really see him did it when he gets opportunity.

Waiting for light to come on...:tired:

Meathead
10-01-2011, 12:55 PM
slow? spiller?

Luisito23
10-01-2011, 01:56 PM
LOL, Spiller is nowhere near slow.

He just needs to learn how to use his speed the right way.

acehole
10-01-2011, 03:47 PM
I said he looks slow not that he is.
He doenst play to his timed speed or potential.

What good is his speed?

Why has it not maifested in huge gains?

Why is he not on the field making big plays?

LOL, Spiller is nowhere near slow.

He just needs to learn how to use his speed the right way.

better days
10-01-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't want to get into a big thing about Lee. However, he hadn't done anything before he got hurt. He had 2 catches for 45 yards in two games. After his injury, he was replaced in the starting lineup last week by Torrey Smith. Smith went on to have 5 catches for 152 yards and 3 TD's. Meanwhile in Buffalo, the WR's are all producing. I know you and many others have a soft spot for Lee, but he simply doesn't appear to be the same player he was a few years back. Frankly, I don't know why his name keeps coming up around here. He's no longer a Bill. Time for us all to turn the page.

He hasn't done anything because even when he played, he was playing while injured.

mayotm
10-01-2011, 05:19 PM
He hasn't done anything because even when he played, he was playing while injured.I guess we can just add that to the ever growing list of excuses as to why Lee hasn't been productive recently.

mightysimi
10-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I said he looks slow not that he is.
He doenst play to his timed speed or potential.

What good is his speed?

Why has it not maifested in huge gains?

Why is he not on the field making big plays?

4 carries for 63 yards. Not that long ago. I still believe that because we have Fred Jackson in there most of the time, that when Spiller lines up, the other team has to be thinking the ball is going to him. I think this works against him. Of course it worked for us against Oakland.

Turf
10-02-2011, 10:38 AM
The problem with Spiller when he does play is he plays so infrequently, that when he gets in they know we want to get him the ball, and the plays are telegraphed. I don't ever think theres a time he hits the field and doesn't get keyed on.
But the reason he isn't on the field is his fault as well, because he can't read the hole and pass block effectively.

Luisito23
10-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Let's hope he plays like he did against Oak.