PDA

View Full Version : If the Bills are for real...

Historian
10-01-2011, 05:57 AM
...They NEED this game.

A win against Cincinnati would make them 3-0 in the Conference, and 1-0 against the division.

Essentially, the games against the Giants, Eagles and Skins are meaningful only in the W-L column.

In order to seriously compete for a WC spot or a Div title, they need to have Div and Conf tiebreakers.

A win would go a long way to us having that edge.

don137
10-01-2011, 06:01 AM
I agree completely. Winning divisional and conference games are huge. They would be 4-0 in conference with a win against Bengals though.
A big difference I see in myself in this team is I am now going into each game thinking we have a chance to win. That has not happened since the Kelly era.

ublinkwescore
10-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Its been a nice ride so far, but i will not be 100% convinced we are a serious playoff threat until we are sitting at 5-0. After we have secured wins against the raiders pats and eagles no one can doubt our legitimacy.

Billz_fan
10-01-2011, 06:30 AM
I feel like we need to win yes. I also am concerned about how they are winning. I would like to see them have better 1st half's and play a complete game or 2. The comebacks are nice but I don't think you can do that all year long. Would be nice to break that pattern of the last couple weeks and get out to good start and dominate the entire game.

Night Train
10-01-2011, 07:09 AM
I don't think this group is reading their press clippings, since people are still asking " how are they doing it ? " (citing the fact most aren't high picks or stars ).

If they did lose, it would due to turnovers or something in that vein. Not because they're going through the motions, believing they're better than they are.

Still, Gailey seems like the right coach to keep them on their toes.

Go Bills !

ddaryl
10-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Yes these are the type of games that contenders win... Although Cincy's D could keep us in check some, I just don't believe Cincy's O should rack up many points. Our O should be able to put up some points therefore we should win this game

better days
10-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes these are the type of games that contenders win... Although Cincy's D could keep us in check some, I just don't believe Cincy's O should rack up many points. Our O should be able to put up some points therefore we should win this game

I expect the Bills to put up some points in this game while the Bills defense gets after Dalton. I don't expect a blowout like KC, but a SOLID WIN.

Historian
10-01-2011, 07:42 AM
A guy I work with was kind of indignant that we were only favored by 3.

I told him I could not remember the last time the Bills were road favorites.

mikemac2001
10-01-2011, 07:53 AM
...They NEED this game.

A win against Cincinnati would make them 3-0 in the Conference, and 1-0 against the division.

Essentially, the games against the Giants, Eagles and Skins are meaningful only in the W-L column.

In order to seriously compete for a WC spot or a Div title, they need to have Div and Conf tiebreakers.

4-0 in conf

1-0 in div

its a huge game being 4-0 this early would give us an edge at the end

northernbillfan
10-01-2011, 08:06 AM
I won't believe they will the game until they spot Cincy 21 points.

northernbillfan
10-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Seriously though, I hope this isn't a trap game. I hope they don't get caught up thinking about Philly next week and lose their heads in this game.

Besides, my wife is a Bengals fan and to lose to them would be bad for the dynamics of the house.

Mr. Miyagi
10-01-2011, 08:31 AM
If we are who we think we are, we will completely destroyed Cincy.

45-10

THRILLHO
10-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Going 3-1 does not concern me. Its going 3-2 that I would be worried about. At 3-1 you are still a good football team, and still close to the top of the division and conference. At 3-2 you are average.

Yasgur's Farm
10-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Yes... Division and conference games are huge in tiebreaker situations. But I'm thinking that all the NFC East games are almost equally important due to the "common opponent" tiebreaker... Hell, that puts double emphasis on the AFC West games.

Are there any games that don't have potential tie breaker implications?

mikemac2001
10-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes... Division and conference games are huge in tiebreaker situations. But I'm thinking that all the NFC East games are almost equally important due to the "common opponent" tiebreaker... Hell, that puts double emphasis on the AFC West games.

Are there any games that don't have potential tie breaker implications?

We win our div and afc conf game NFC won't matter

Yasgur's Farm
10-01-2011, 08:56 AM
We win our div and afc conf game NFC won't matterIf we can count on winning ALL 12 of those games... You're right. I wouldn't count on it though.

Historian
10-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm looking at a tight defensive road win.

Something along the lines of 17-14.

Night Train
10-01-2011, 09:45 AM
A guy I work with was kind of indignant that we were only favored by 3.

I told him I could not remember the last time the Bills were road favorites.

It's like the same people who were predicting 3 wins and a relocation a month ago are now saying anything less than 10-11 wins and a playoff spot would be a "failure". :rofl:

PromoTheRobot
10-01-2011, 10:25 AM
What game don't we need? Seriously.

PTR

Bill Cody
10-01-2011, 10:29 AM
It's amazing how far we've come in a short time. Before the season we were talking about Andrew Luck. Now we're talking about trap games.

RoscoeMagic
10-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Absolutely. Good teams win the games that they're supposed to. A nice smackdown here would be a great sign.

I honestly can't see Fitz, Chan, Freddy and co. letting their guard down. We'll come out firing.

imbondz
10-01-2011, 11:52 AM
there's no doubt in my mind that we're going 16-0.

Oaf
10-01-2011, 11:59 AM
If Bills are for real... They'd go 16-0.

Seriously, they're not going to win em' all.

YardRat
10-01-2011, 01:16 PM
We'll learn a lot about the make-up of this team this week. I just want to see a get-in, take care of business, methodical win.

psubills62
10-01-2011, 05:01 PM
At this point, I think they've got a good shot at beating Cincy and splitting with the Eagles and Giants. But yes...have to do well in the conference and have to do even better in the division.

acehole
10-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I said in another thread Cici is real test for Chan...

I think it is for whole Team.. Yes they are cini but they got a decent D.

In the end I think we win however I want to see how they respond to this game mentally.

If they get cocky...if they play sloppy or scared.

If they win convincingly.. We could then concievably go into bi undefeated.

...They NEED this game.

Mike
10-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Its been a nice ride so far, but i will not be 100% convinced we are a serious playoff threat until we are sitting at 5-0. After we have secured wins against the raiders pats and eagles no one can doubt our legitimacy.

Did you know there has been teams that started 8-0 only to finish 8-8? In many ways I am a firm believer that your only as good as your last game... in many ways thats what counts. Good teams go to the playoffs, and the best teams win that last game.

better days
10-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Did you know there has been teams that started 8-0 only to finish 8-8? In many ways I am a firm believer that your only as good as your last game... in many ways thats what counts. Good teams go to the playoffs, and the best teams win that last game.

Well not that many teams have started 8-0. So to win 8 in a row then lose 8 in a row is hard to believe. I am calling BS on this post.

If I am wrong & that really happened, name the teams & the years they did that.

Michael82
10-02-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm not concerned about this being a trap game. Gailey is a good coach and has the players grounded and humble. I could honestly see the Bills using this as a way to show the league that they are for real. Bills win 31-13

Mr. Pink
10-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Well not that many teams have started 8-0. So to win 8 in a row then lose 8 in a row is hard to believe. I am calling BS on this post.

If I am wrong & that really happened, name the teams & the years they did that.

Best I can do is the 86 Jets who started 10-1 only to finish 10-6.

better days
10-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Best I can do is the 86 Jets who started 10-1 only to finish 10-6.

Yeah & you only have to go back to 1978. Before that they only played 14 games. I think that post was like the phony Jay Cutler headlines Fox showed- NOT TRUE.