• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFever
    Mr. Predictament
    • Feb 2003

Evans Responds To Indefinite Suspension

In response to his "lifetime" ban for multiple violations of the NFL's substance abuse policy, Jets defensive tackle Josh Evans has issued the following statement, which the folks at Impact Sports have sent to us.

"I cannot believe I am in this situation again my appeal has failed even though I passed a lie detector test confirming that I never smoked or used marijuana," Evans said. "I have embraced the NFL Program for Substances of Abuse, followed its guidelines precisely and have become a better person for it.

"I would never jeopardize my family and compromise the integrity of the Jets organization, my teammates and its fans by violating the Program. Everybody will ultimately believe what they want, but to accept punishment for something I did not do is one of the most difficult things I have ever had to endure."

Though his agents can't comment on the specifics of the positive result, all signs point to a failure to submit to a test, not an actual positive test. Alas, a failure to test is given the same treatment under the substance abuse policy as a positive.

As a result, Evans has been suspended indefinitely by the league. He already has missed a full year, while he was with the Titans.

Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Good news for us actually.

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

Absolutely. Anything that hurts the Jets can't be all bad.
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Schobel94
        The Sack Master
        • Jan 2003

Hey, remember when he was an FA and Donahoe passed on him? He got highly criticized for that, but now, once again, he looks like a freakin genius! He's so smart, he knew there was a high probability of this happening and he just didnt want to deal with it, so instead we got Adams (a year belated), so it all worked out! Hail Donahoe!
        Beware the sack master!

Comment

• SamAdamsFan
          • Jun 2003

Travis Henry will love this. Not having to run past Evans will probably add 20 or 30 more yards to his game both time we play the Jets.
          "'I get to come off the pill (the football) and destroy everything I touch,' Adams said Monday, a day after agreeing to a four-year contract. 'That's what I've got to do, come off the pill, seek and destroy. The last time I checked, I hadn't seen many guys who can do it better. In fact, I haven't seen any.' He has a point." - The Buffalo News

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

I think the Jets saw this coming. That's why they grossly overpaid for the stiff Robertson in the draft.

Comment

Working...
            X