PDA

View Full Version : Post first quarter of season team needs

YardRat
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM
After four games and the first quarter of this season, this team still needs...

1A-An honest-to-the-football-gods defensive coordinator. Edwards flat out blows, and with the talent we have in the front seven so there is no reason for not getting consistent pressure on the QB other than scheme/game-planning.

1B-A legit left tackle. Regardless of how well some have perceived the offensive line to be playing, Bell is simply not suited for the position and is average on his best days. He gets blown away by speed, and blown up by strength, and his overall piss-poor performance has been overshadowed by the play of Levitre and the fact that we have won some games. Hairston may be the guy eventually, but it's way too early to tell and he needs at least another season or two to develop.

1C-A starting CB. McKelvin blows, McGee is broken down, I don't think Williams is going to be the answer.

casdhf
10-02-2011, 06:06 PM
One loss and we're giving up on Aaron Williams already?

YardRat
10-02-2011, 06:16 PM
He hasn't played in a couple of weeks, but I don't see him being a legit starting corner...not giving up him, just my opinion at this time.

One loss and we're giving up on Aaron Williams already?

justasportsfan
10-02-2011, 06:22 PM
cb's and another stud DE opposite Dareus

kingJofNYC
10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
OLB or DE/OT/CB, probably in that order.

Think if our pass rush was a bit better we could cover up our corners.

YardRat
10-02-2011, 06:34 PM
OLB or DE/OT/CB, probably in that order.

Think if our pass rush was a bit better we could cover up our corners.

That's where a half-way competent DC comes into play. We've got talent in front seven, Edwards just doesn't know what the hell he is doing.

kingJofNYC
10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I agree with you, Edwards seems lost.

We play man coverage when it's quite evident that our CBs can't play that way.

Late in the game it seemed like our DL was getting a decent push, but our CBs weren't covering. Maybe if we played some zone and forced Dalton to throw into tighter windows we could've nabbed a sack or two.

Oaf
10-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Agreed on CB, I think I'm done with McKelvin at this point. He'd probably need 3-4 straight games of consistent performance to win me back over, which we pretty much all know won't happen.

RoscoeMagic
10-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Maybe it's me, but was McKelvin really the culprit today? That 58 yard pass to Green was 100% NOT McKelvin's fault, it was AJ Green making a phenomenal catch. Was Leodis on Green all day? 3 legit catches and he's the scapegoat here?

Historian
10-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm wondering what happened to the Merriman that was an animal in the preseason?

RoscoeMagic
10-02-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm wondering what happened to the Merriman that was an animal in the preseason?

I hope it just wasn't the Bears' offensive line.

We NEED another pass rusher. IMO that's NEED #1.

kingJofNYC
10-02-2011, 06:58 PM

He's not playing against the Bears OL.

As for McKelvin being the culprit, if he had better ball skills Green and Moore don't make those impressive catches. Leodis just doesn't get his head around in time to find the ball, he also does a poor job re-routing/jamming guys at the line.

justasportsfan
10-02-2011, 07:04 PM
maybe it's time for Batten

kingJofNYC
10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Batten and Moats should get more burn outside than Merriman and Kelsay.

We know what the vets offer, lets see what some of the younger guys can do with more reps.

RoscoeMagic
10-02-2011, 07:10 PM
maybe it's time for Batten

Why? Because we lost? What difference does a missed or made FG at the last second have to do with jumping the gun and replacing Merriman already? Because we certainly wouldn't be calling for his head if Nugent misses the kick, we win the coin toss, and Fitz chucks an 80 yard bomb to Donald Jones on the first play. No we wouldn't be whining about Merriman if that scenario occured, even if it had NOTHING at all to do with the defense.

A loss clouds a lot of people's heads, especially right after the game. A win has the same effect. As Gailey says, "you're never as good as people think you are, and you're never as bad as people think you are."

Plus, by my count, Merriman had a sack today. He pushed Dalton out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage.

It's not time for Batten except on ST.

YardRat
10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Merriman's been playing barely over 50% of the snaps as it is.

SeatownBillsFan21
10-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Got called out for juicing and had to stop.

Oaf
10-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Got called out for juicing and had to stop.
Haha

justasportsfan
10-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Why? Because we lost?

yes? we need a pass rush an Shawne isn't providing much

mrbojanglezs
10-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Needs. 1) cb. 2) olb. 3) OT. 4) safety. 5) stud WR

Bert102176
10-02-2011, 10:29 PM

the roids wore off and he can't get back to canada to get more

psubills62
10-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Agree with #1.

What was so bad about Bell? I didn't think he was that bad. He's been competent so far from what I've seen, don't think we can give up on him just yet.

Agree with #3...but I'm not giving up on Williams. I think he's a better fit as an outside CB rather than covering the slot, personally. But I do see Nix and co. retooling the secondary this coming year.

Mad Max
10-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Agree with #1.

What was so bad about Bell? I didn't think he was that bad. He's been competent so far from what I've seen, don't think we can give up on him just yet.

Agree with #3...but I'm not giving up on Williams. I think he's a better fit as an outside CB rather than covering the slot, personally. But I do see Nix and co. retooling the secondary this coming year.

Bell's been pretty good at run blocking. His pass blocking however is another story. He can't handle the bull rush at all, he gets knocked straight back on his ass far too often. And speedy guys turn the corner on him often...he's not quick enough with his pivot to push the defender backwards away from the pocket.

He's just ok. Ideally we need to get much better at the position. I wouldn't mind seeing Hairston getting some burn there in order to find out if he can handle it.

Bone
10-03-2011, 12:31 AM
1st quarter team needs....none? It's one ****ing game.

Extremebillsfan247
10-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Needs after the first quarter_learn how to win the game against teams you should beat after beating teams no one thought you could beat. We have a solid young unit here. They just have to learn from this one, put it behind them, and move on. That's all there is too it. They are on pace to finish the year at 12-4 if they keep playing as they have in this first quarter of the season. That's impressive in my opinion.

Night Train
10-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Pass rushers in the Front 7 & CB's . I know people are sick of CB's but it seems you need a couple every draft. #21 is going to have a target on him all year and McGee has broken down.

Right now, our rookie DT Dareus is the only DL doing anything and Barnett at LB is doing what he was brought in for.

The rest of the Front 7 needs to look in a mirror and that includes Kyle Williams, who is being shoved around with ease.

I still wouldn't pass up a QB in Round 1 or 2 next April. Finally, a legit deep year at the top for this key position.

Extremebillsfan247
10-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Pass rushers in the Front 7 & CB's . I know people are sick of CB's but it seems you need a couple every draft. #21 is going to have a target on him all year and McGee has broken down.

Right now, our rookie DT Dareus is the only DL doing anything and Barnett at LB is doing what he was brought in for.

The rest of the Front 7 needs to look in a mirror and that includes Kyle Williams, who is being shoved around with ease.

I still wouldn't pass up a QB in Round 1 or 2 next April. Finally, a legit deep year at the top for this key position. George Edwards needs to do a better job preparing this defense. For the 2nd year in a row, it sits near the bottom of the league in overall performance. If that improves this year, we are going to the playoffs. I'd even put money on it. JMO