PDA

View Full Version : Hold off on Fitz's franchise QB deal

ghz in pittsburgh
10-02-2011, 08:12 PM
I really don't like his accuracy in the first half. He threw to the right guy, just not enough accuracy or touch against tight coverage.

Maybe Gailey's system allows a lot of easy mismatches that make it easy on QBs, which covers up the short comings of Fitz. But against sound defense, you need QB a step above. I think.

BertSquirtgum
10-02-2011, 08:13 PM
I didn't like his whole game period. He played like a huge pile of cow flop.

imbondz
10-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Ugh. B.S.

BertSquirtgum
10-02-2011, 08:32 PM
I thought he was over the hump of playing like a back up quarterback coming off the bench cold. I guess I was wrong. If he continues this type of play, then we know we still need to get our franchise quarterback.

imbondz
10-02-2011, 08:39 PM
How about Sanchez tonight. He's @#$%@#$% the bed, the Jets should bench him. Romo should be benched for his performance today too.

mrbojanglezs
10-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I agree, i doubt anyone will pry him from us... let him play if they are really 3 million apart I am on the bills side at this point, the first 3 games we played terrible defenses. Lets see how he does against some better Ds

kingJofNYC
10-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Someone will definitely make a run at him if he's not extended. However, that shouldn't force us to pay through the nose for his services.

We all know Gailey's getting the most he can out of this bunch, Fitz first and foremost.

Crisis
10-02-2011, 09:45 PM
In a perfect world we lock up Stevie now, extend/franchise Fitz towards the end of the season or offseason (provided he proves hes worth it), and Freddie gets a nice chunk of change in a 3-4 year deal ASAP.

BertSquirtgum
10-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Bills will probably be drafting in the middle of the draft. If Fitz continues to play badly against good defenses, then hopefully we can find our Flacco like Baltimore in the middle of the pack that year.

psubills62
10-02-2011, 11:26 PM
This is why it was foolish to think Fitz's price tag would keep going up.

I'm still fine with him as our starter. I think the Bills will end up waiting until the season ends to finalize a new contract with him, though, which is fine with me.

That being said, I'd still like to see Buffalo draft a guy to put behind him. Not comfortable with Thigpen at backup at all.

G Wolly
10-02-2011, 11:42 PM
I really don't like his accuracy in the first half. He threw to the right guy, just not enough accuracy or touch against tight coverage.

Yeah, the guy had a bad game. How dare he even be considered a starting quarterback in this league?

One game can easily predict the future for a player as well as the entire team.

Extremebillsfan247
10-03-2011, 04:40 AM

Maybe Gailey's system allows a lot of easy mismatches that make it easy on QBs, which covers up the short comings of Fitz. But against sound defense, you need QB a step above. I think. We have one of the worst defenses in the NFL and still sit at 3-1 because of Fitzpatrick. No QB will be able to bail his team out in every game. Fitzpatrick wont ever walk on water. If that's what you expect out of your franchise QB, you wont ever be happy with any Bills QB. We did have a 14 point lead in that game. Our defense failed to hold a rookie QB in check. That's how we lost. In my opinion there is no one on this team that deserves a contract more than Fitzpatrick does.

Forward_Lateral
10-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Fitz was the last person you should blame for yesterday's loss. OK, second last next to FJ.

Historian
10-03-2011, 05:58 AM
Every QB is going to have a clunker from time to time.

I want Fitz back there because he has that intangible that Edwards, Losman, and the parade of idiots before them didn't have...that sense where the rush is coming from.

Smart guy, good arm, good leader.you extend him when you can.

Fix the defense. You can't expect Fitz to put up 40 points a week, it simply isn't realistic.

Forward_Lateral
10-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Exactly. You can't expect your QB to win the games every week, unless you have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-03-2011, 08:38 AM
How about Sanchez tonight. He's @#$%@#$% the bed, the Jets should bench him. Romo should be benched for his performance today too.

This is my point here. Sanchez so far has NOT proved to be a franchise QB despite going to the conference champ game twice. Romo is NOT a franchise QB despite he led the team to NFL best record under Wade.

Both those team has a theme when they were good: super defense. The QBs were just too inconsistent being hot and cold from time to time. There are very few franchise QBs in the league: Manning, Brady, Rogers, Brees, Rothlisberger, to a lesser degree, Vick. They can carry a team on their shoulders. There might be a few up coming in Atlanta/St. Louis/Detroit/Carolina.

You can win from time to time with a great defense and a hot QB; you just don't win consistently. Look at the Pats, Colts. the rest of their teams are very average, even below average. But they win as long as their QB play.

I get it that you don't always get your franchise QB even you have the top front office. There is a lot of luck involved. But you cannot over-react, particularly with a QB who has a 7 year track in NFL.

RoscoeMagic
10-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Fitzpatrick played poorly but it was also a pretty good defense. I think they confused him.

He should shred the Eagles especially without Trent Cole :jam:

Dujek
10-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Obviously the Patriots should have benched Brady after he threw 4 picks last week.

The pattern is currently up with Fitz. If today turns out to be more than an outlier I would be surprised.

Figster
10-03-2011, 09:01 AM
I don't have to much of a problem going long term with Fitzpatrick, but when I watch a Rookie like Dalton win his 1st Football game, I have to question management's decision to not draft a promising young QB prospect for the future.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Bull give him the deal, he had an off day yesterday but so did the recievers and Chan as a play caller.

justasportsfan
10-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Fitz sucking is an improvement from when he sucked last year. He wasn't as bad as the 2nd Pats game last year.

If thats as bad as it getsI'm okay with that. No , I'm not settling for mediocrity but If the D stopped the bengals, we win despite Fitz.

chernobylwraiths
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
I remember when Jauron's team was 5 and 1 and people were clamoring to lock him up to an extension.

Fitz is a decent QB. I would sign him to a deal for at least a few years, but I wouldn't roll out a 10 mil a year salary.

Syderick
10-03-2011, 04:44 PM
I thought he played an average game. He didn't take too many sacks or throw any interceptions. Its not like he's going to have a 300 yard, 5 td performance every game.

They should of ran the ball with Fred Jackson

starrymessenger
10-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Fitz is the model of inconsistency as far as accuracy is concerned. He has not played three good games and one bad. He has played poorly in all four games, except that he has also played well in three of them. So he has played three good half games. He is also, it would appear, extremely slow out of the blocks. Always sucks in the first half.
Fitz will be a Bill next year but not because we will be paying him 10 million a year. It will be because he will have earned a nice raise, will have a starting job here, and because nobody else is going to offer him the dream contract. The FO knows his limitations. They would have drafted Cam had he been there, or maybe Gabbert if Marcell had not been there.

BertSquirtgum
10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Fitz sucking is an improvement from when he sucked last year. He wasn't as bad as the 2nd Pats game last year.

If thats as bad as it getsI'm okay with that. No , I'm not settling for mediocrity but If the D stopped the bengals, we win despite Fitz.

If Fitz throws a better pass to Stevie, there is no questionable call......

TigerJ
10-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't object to the Bills negotiating during the season, but I don't think he's one of the elite QBs in the league. Never did. I would hope he's not paid top ten money. I would also hope the contract is not overloaded with guaranteed money. If the Bills somehow come across a true franchise QB, whether through the draft or free agency, I wouldn't want a contract with Fitzpatrick to get in the way of going after him. At the same time, Fitz is clearly good enough to win quite a few games, and if that's the best we can have until we get a true franchise QB, then we need to keep him for a while if we can.

X-Era
10-03-2011, 07:43 PM
If you can do what he has done up till now with big numbers in 3 games and a comeback win against the Pats... You're just fine.

Anything can change of course and he could regress but I just don't see it.

He had a bad game, all of them do... Hell Brady threw 4 int's against us.