PDA

View Full Version : I'm not impressed with Merriman

Stewie
10-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I believe he got a sack today for pushing Dalton out of bounds, which is just dandy, but I also noticed that when the action isn't right next to him, he kinda goes into spectator mode

There were at least two plays that clearly stand out in my mind, where Merriman would have been able to run down the ball carrier from behind if he had pursued with some vigor. Instead, he kinda just jogs towards the action like he's in no big hurry.

I'd rather watch anyone who is willing to hustle.

tampabay25690
10-02-2011, 08:28 PM
I cant say I don't agree.....

Oaf
10-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm not ready to call him Kiwi Mitchell pt. 2 just yet.

McBFLO
10-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I've noticed him being blatantly held several times over the past 2 games, all with no calls. I'd like to see him making a bigger impact too, but I think he's coming along.

Bert102176
10-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I think he's so affraid of getting hurt he phases himself out if the play isn't at him he doesn't wanna get hurt running after a play

YE OLE COTTON
10-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Something's definitely not quite right with the guy just yet. I was holding out hope that we'd see something from him this week. I've also seen him getting mugged out there numerous times with no flags being thrown. That said, the way he came in during the preseason, it looked like we were going to see the old LIGHTS OUT. That definitely hasn't panned out yet. Today when the Bengals were on their back to back scoring drives to win this game, it would've been a real choice time for him to show up though.

justasportsfan
10-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Kelsay is playing better

TheBrownBear
10-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Merriman sucks. Just like he has for the past three years. He's physically broken and he's nowhere close to being the player he was. He won't be on the roster next year.

kishoph
10-03-2011, 04:51 AM
Something's definitely not quite right with the guy just yet. I was holding out hope that we'd see something from him this week. I've also seen him getting mugged out there numerous times with no flags being thrown. That said, the way he came in during the preseason, it looked like we were going to see the old LIGHTS OUT. That definitely hasn't panned out yet. Today when the Bengals were on their back to back scoring drives to win this game, it would've been a real choice time for him to show up though.

On the play where he chased DALTON out of bounds, you could clearly see a pretty bad limp in his gait, he hasn't said anything but I believe that he's nowhere near 100%. Also I may be biased but, I see him getting mauled sometimes, when has it become legal to block someone by wrapping your arm around his neck, I have seen this done to MERRIMAN a few time at least. You also have to take into account what he means to the team as a leader and motivator in the locker room. He hasn't stood out, but I think we'll see more from him as the season goes on.

Night Train
10-03-2011, 05:02 AM
Oppsoing RB's are cutting inside of him when he goes wide on a rush. That's no better than what Kelsay does or what doomed Maybin. Then the RB gets 10-12 yards before a DB drags him down.

Extremebillsfan247
10-03-2011, 06:20 AM
He hasn't played in something like 2 years prior to this season. Playing LB isn't like riding a bike. Losing time can cause you to lose a step. It can take a while to regain form. Merriman struggling early should have been expected. Forget what he did in preseason. It was preseason, didn't matter. The important thing for Merriman right now is to just stay healthy, keep playing, and performance will improve over time. JMO

Forward_Lateral
10-03-2011, 06:25 AM
Agree. He'll be fine.

zone
10-03-2011, 07:03 AM
It took a long time for TKO to get back to form after injury. When you don't play for 2 years it's going to take time. I think he is still making a difference and would have a few sacks if he wasn't being tackled to the ground.

ChristopherWalken
10-03-2011, 07:16 AM
I don't think the Bills staff is quite that enamoured with him either, or as the poster stated above there is something to gettting back to form.

Anyway, he comes off the field quite often and his impact on field has been lack luster.

OpIv37
10-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Oppsoing RB's are cutting inside of him when he goes wide on a rush. That's no better than what Kelsay does or what doomed Maybin. Then the RB gets 10-12 yards before a DB drags him down.

I noticed the same thing. Merriman seems so desperate to get to the QB that they are running draw plays right at the spot he vacates and using the over-pursuit against him.

Meathead
10-03-2011, 08:03 AM
im pretty sure hes playing hurt. you never see him use his right shoulder with any kind of power. wouldnt be surprised if he has a torn rotator and is just trying to play through it so he doesnt reinforce that injury prone label. wouldnt be shocked if one day they just announce hes gotta get it fixed and is lost for a while if not the season

Maximilli
10-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Na i like merriman he takes on the block opening it up and he is being held all day u could see it if that was us flags come out quick

ddaryl
10-03-2011, 09:29 AM
In Merriman's defense I have seen a few blatant holds against him as he has been closing in on a sure sack...

I remember one against NE... and there was one yesterday

Bill Cody
10-03-2011, 09:40 AM
He was better when he had those little pin marks in his butt

bf1
10-03-2011, 03:41 PM
I tweeted this to him:

http://twitter.com/nycbbb/status/120953236411785216

mrbojanglezs
10-03-2011, 03:58 PM
OLB is priority number 1 next years draft

EDS
10-03-2011, 05:28 PM
He hasn't played in something like 2 years prior to this season. Playing LB isn't like riding a bike. Losing time can cause you to lose a step. It can take a while to regain form. Merriman struggling early should have been expected. Forget what he did in preseason. It was preseason, didn't matter. The important thing for Merriman right now is to just stay healthy, keep playing, and performance will improve over time. JMO

He played in 3 games last season (with San Diego) and 14 the season before that.

lightningbolt444
10-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I tweeted this to him:

Awesome after a loss let's jump on the guy that it it just easy to because everyone else does. I wouldn't want to come here as a fa either. He has been around the qb held maybe more than anyone on our d and more importantly is really looked up to by the guys in the lr and a key component in at least one of or fa signings.

justasportsfan
10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I tweeted this to him:

Does Kyle Williams have a twiter acct? Maybe you can tweet him the same thing. Dareus is playing better than him inspite of getting the double team. Did Kyle get his payckeck and leave?

madness
10-04-2011, 10:26 AM
In Merriman's defense I have seen a few blatant holds against him as he has been closing in on a sure sack...

I remember one against NE... and there was one yesterday

It's been almost everytime he gets pressure plus a couple straight out tackles.

Bangarang
10-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Merriman is getting held every play. Just like Lee Evans was getting double teamed constantly.

Time to stop making excuses for players we want and need to succeed.