PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the game...

psubills62
10-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Yes, that means I spent 10 hours in the car today. So if I re-hash anything that's been hashed already, please forgive me. I feel like I deserve my own thread at this point. The seats that my brother-in-law and I got were not the best for seeing all the plays, so my comments may not be very insightful.

I'll just put my comments out there and you guys who had better views at home can tell me if I was wrong or right.

1. Beautiful weather, great day for football. Of course, I earned the nickname "Two-face" because I got sunburned just on the left side of my face. Oh well.

2. Been to four games in person in my life (3 in Buffalo, 1 in Cincy), Bills haven't won any of them. Does anyone want to...convince me (:$:) to not attend any further games?

3. Poor effort by all units:

3a. Offense just had a difficult time moving the ball. Couldn't remember any particular reason why they had trouble except that we struggled mightily to run the ball, especially in the 2nd half.

3b. Defense did decently in the first half, horribly in the second. Didn't have any confidence in them by the end. Credit the Bengals offense for making adjustments and executing. Run defense is a big concern, much more so than I was hoping this year.

3c. Special teams also wasn't good. Couldn't tell if Moorman was outkicking the coverage or the coverage was just that bad. Either way, Cincy seemed to do great on punt returns. We lost the field position battle consistently, which didn't hurt us as much last week as it did today.

4. Let's hope Buffalo can watch Cincy's defense on tape this week and LEARN HOW TO DEFEND THE SCREEN PLAY. Teams have had success every time they run it against us, and they're just going to run it more and more until we stop it. Frustrating.

5. My brother-in-law and I sat in the 3rd row in the corner of the end zone where Fred Jackson scored. There was a heavy contingent of Bills fans in the area and Fred ended up tossing the ball to the guy just two rows in front of us. Pretty awesome.

6. Loved the screen play to Brad Smith. Wish they would have either used that play a couple more times or faked that play and gone a different way.

7. Was that sack/fumble/fumble recovery/TD really overturned because of the tuck rule? If so, I REALLY hate that rule.

8. It was hard to tell how bad the refs might have been today except for two things: 1) from what I could tell, Cincy had one penalty called on them (I'm going to look that up in a second to make sure), and 2) the Steve Johnson catch. The Bengals fan next to me tried to convince me it had hit the ground. I didn't see it. Thought that was a bull crap call. As far as blaming the refs...I feel like addressing that in another thread.

9. The offense seemed to struggle in the passing game more so than the 20/34 stat line showed for Fitzy. It seemed that on all of the significant 3rd downs, either Fitzpatrick was inaccurate or our WR's couldn't catch. It was a poor mix of faults, and we just couldn't execute today like we're used to...I don't see that happening every week, but we'll see.

10. 7 hours in the car will allow some good thinking time. It has helped me keep things in perspective. Obviously Cincy was better than I thought they were. Obviously the Bills will struggle at times. However, we're still 3-1. Nobody's taking those 3 wins away from us. Every team struggles at times - New England went 14-2 last year with one of those losses to a 5-11 team. It happens. We've got 12 more games to work with.

Let's see what this team is made of. They obviously couldn't pull out the W after an emotional win against the Pats...so now we get to see how they react to losing. Let's hope they can get back to winning ways quickly before the bye week.

Go Bills!

YE OLE COTTON
10-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks for posting this... great to hear a perspective from someone who was at the stadium. I don't envy having to make that long journey home after a crushing loss like this one. When that kick went through the up rights, the chain of expletives I let fly was really something to behold!

That said, I'm with you. I think what will be most telling about this team is not this game, itself, but rather how they respond to it. Even great teams lose games, but they rarely lose 2 in a row. If they get back on track next week and get on another good run, this whole ugly episode today can be forgotten.

BertSquirtgum
10-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I thought the special teams was the only good part of the Bills play today.

TMu11
10-03-2011, 05:44 AM
How did you go from 10 hrs to 7 in the car?
When we've sucked as badly as we have the past 10 years, odds are you will attend some losing games

TacklingDummy
10-03-2011, 06:08 AM
When we've sucked as badly as we have the past 10 years, odds are you will attend some losing games
He was passed out for 3 hours on the drive home.

Mindbender
10-03-2011, 06:14 AM
He was passed out for 3 hours on the drive home.

3 hours to stadium, 3 hours back, 4 hours to his place. 10 total. I think he must have blocked out the drive to my house from Cincy.

argh. what a frustrating day. Of course, we had to endure crap from Bengals fans all day long, especially the walk back to the car. What a bunch of thugs. Boo.

ChristopherWalken
10-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Went to that game as well. And I also have a half face burn completed with sunglass and ball cap lines.

Have to say I was bored to tears the entire first qrtr and much of the 1st half. Both teams looked like Bills and Bengals of old.

I though the Cincy fans were quite well behaved and having been to so many other football games in the past I was shocked at the low level of energy in that place. They have this great sound system and they're blasting Manilow "Sweet Caroline" minutes before the game....not my idea of game day music. And the fans were almost too nice to the point you had to ask yourself if this was an NFL game or cribbage match.

Anyway, sat 11 rows behind the Bills bench and there was zero enthusiasm from the bench. No one was laughing, cuting up, having fun, or even trying to spark the team into a fury. They look like a bunch of rookies running through the motions still not quite understanding their specific roles to the team. Complete lack of energy. Makes me think this team blew its load against NE and had nothing left in the tank for the Bungles.

Not trying to add excuses to the loss which is an obvous team fault, but the officiating was terrible.

Total BS calls all over the field by this officiating crew.
The pass interference call on the offense was a mystery. Missed holding calls on the Bengals Oline - and I'm talking wild blatent missed calls like Dalton rolling passed the hold and the official waving it off. Gailey was fuming several times over the stupid officiating.

Johnson made that catch - plain and simple. The official that called it "juggled" - dropped was being blocked out of the vision of play and I'm not even sure how he calls that a non catch when he couldn't even see the play being played out.

Bills pass rush blows and this is going to hurt them badly this year. When pressure was on Dalton he was way off his mark. But you could read the AJ Green plays easily from the sideline and the Bills would just let them happen. The blitzing scheme (if one) is horrendous.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 08:50 AM
7 hours after the game ended. 3 on the way there...didn't really need the reflection time before the game.

Novacane
10-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Stop going to games jinx!

psubills62
10-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Stop going to games jinx!
I don't know, I'm thinking about going to some of the other games...feeling like convincing me to not go? :snicker: