PDA

View Full Version : Through Four Weeks

Dujek
10-03-2011, 08:24 AM
What the hell do some offensive linemen have to do to be called for holding?

Merriman was blatantly held twice that I recall against the Raiders, most obviously on the final Hail Mary where he beat his man and was grabbed round the throat.

Dareus and Merriman were both held on various occasions against the Patriots, again the most obvious was the play after Merriman got to Brady just as he released the pass (think it ended up in a TD pass to Gronkowski), Merriman again beat his man, and you could see his head bent back as he was again grabbed round the neck to stop him getting past.

Yesterday was more of the same, though it was generally Dareus being held, throttled, or jumped on on almost every single play.

That first down run by Dalton that got reviewed, there is no way he makes that if the Bengals OL doesn't have his hand over Dareus' shoulder and have a good hold of his jersey.

The reason this puzzles me is because Scott Chandler did about half what was done to Dareus yesterday on one play against the Patriots and was flagged right away.

I'm not saying the Bills got jobbed on the holding calls, because in other games I've watched there are blatant holding calls ignored as well and I've seen Levitre and Bell get away with virtually tackling a couple of guys, but the inconsistency shown by officials in regards to holding seems to be far more widespread than it has been in previous years. If they're going to allow holding, then do away with the rule all together, if the rule is there, enforce it equally across the board. Don't just throw a damn flag when you feel like it, and ignore it at other times.

Historian
10-03-2011, 08:47 AM
I agree Nigel.

I blame Sabre11.

The league is performing his Father Nelson to perfection.

Dujek
10-03-2011, 08:52 AM
I agree Nigel.

I blame Sabre11.

The league is performing his Father Nelson to perfection.

People are asking why passing yards have gone through the roof this year.

I'm not saying this is the sole reason, but if QBs are getting a bunch of extra time to throw because of the holding that's going on then that is going to have an effect on the passing numbers.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 08:55 AM
I haven't watched enough games to see if it's a league-wide phenomenon.

Just curious - has any of our opponents been called for holding this year? I don't remember any calls the first three games, but I could be wrong.

It's just frustrating. Our guys literally are getting tackled and nothing's being called. You've got generally two refs staring at the OL every play...to do what? They're supposed to call holding if they see it. If I can see it from the third row in the end zone, the refs should be able to see it too.

If they aren't going to call it, move the refs to another spot. They're just wasting time there if they're just going to wave everything off.

Maximilli
10-03-2011, 08:55 AM
i totally agree some of the holding that they call on us is not as obvious as the ones i have seen yesterday aj green got away with a push man and that Stevie catch was bull

justasportsfan
10-03-2011, 09:17 AM
What the hell do some offensive linemen have to do to be called for holding?

Merriman was blatantly held twice that I recall against the Raiders, most obviously on the final Hail Mary where he beat his man and was grabbed round the throat.

Merriman shouldnt have taken acting lessons from Tia Tequila.

Ickybaluky
10-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Just curious - has any of our opponents been called for holding this year? I don't remember any calls the first three games, but I could be wrong.

Logan Mankins got called for holding in the NE game. I don't know about the other games.

Ebenezer
10-03-2011, 09:47 AM
...and the more the Bills complain the fewer calls they will get...

Dujek
10-03-2011, 09:53 AM
...and the more the Bills complain the fewer calls they will get...

Again, it's not just the Bills. Holding calls are being blown left right and centre around the league. Somebody needs to sit the officials down and show them what is and isn't a hold, so as we get some consistency.

colin
10-03-2011, 10:28 AM
i think in an effort to protect qb's they are basically not calling anything but the most insane holding.

i'm seeing it all over the nfl.

Dujek
10-03-2011, 10:30 AM
i think in an effort to protect qb's they are basically not calling anything but the most insane holding.

i'm seeing it all over the nfl.

I'm wondering if it's because of the lockout. Quick directive to the refs to not call too many holding calls so as the games are exciting and we all forget about the lockout quickly.

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 10:42 AM
There is definitely an emphasis on protecting the QB and I would agree I think defenders are getting held more with less calls.

However I have seen a number of calls made in a number of different games.

Mr. Pink
10-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Holding could be called on every snap in the NFL.

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Holding could be called on every snap in the NFL.

This is also true and it could be called both offensively and defensively.

Mr. Pink
10-03-2011, 10:52 AM
There is definitely an emphasis on protecting the QB and I would agree I think defenders are getting held more with less calls.

However I have seen a number of calls made in a number of different games.

I also agree with this.

With the emphasis the league has on protecting it's most marketable assets they allow the big guys up front a lot more leeway now than they did even 10 years ago.

Mski
10-03-2011, 11:31 AM
I also agree with this.

With the emphasis the league has on protecting it's most marketable assets they allow the big guys up front a lot more leeway now than they did even 10 years ago. then they need to do away with the pads and helmets for the qb's, and just give them flags to wear around their waist... that being said i thought if a defender hits a qb in the knees and rolls up uner him it was roughing. i guess its not if your name's Ftiz

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
then they need to do away with the pads and helmets for the qb's, and just give them flags to wear around their waist... that being said i thought if a defender hits a qb in the knees and rolls up uner him it was roughing. i guess its not if your name's Ftiz

Only if the hit to the knees/legs looks deliberate. If the player is blocked into the QB's knees or is falling down then its not roughing.

Though I did see that called yesterday.

madness
10-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I try to watch most of the games thanks to DirecTV's NFL shortcuts (game condensed down to a half hour) and I don't believe it's just holding calls... for whatever reason, the officiating has been horrendous this season.

kishoph
10-04-2011, 07:22 AM
MERRIMAN has been getting mauled all season, it has to be getting frustrating for him. Do the Refs have it out for him ?

ddaryl
10-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I agree. the OL holding penalties have been minimized... Everyone is noticing this. Surprised the D players are screaming bloody murder around the league

DraftBoy
10-04-2011, 07:34 AM
I agree. the OL holding penalties have been minimized... Everyone is noticing this. Surprised the D players are screaming bloody murder around the league

They cant because they are just as bad, watch most of the CB's in press coverage or when the LB has to cover a TE one on one.

ChristopherWalken
10-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Its definitly been noticeable.

As I have always understood it olineman can have a grip but it has to remain within the interior body of the defender between the shoulder pads - while the offensive lineman and defender's bodies are squared on one another. As soon as the defenseman breaks with leverage the Olineman has got to let go or risk fielding a flag. This isn't happening and its becoming painfully obvious as the season moves on. If the officials aren't going to make the call then lineman are going to do it until they do.

I guess the only advantage to all of it is the Bills OLineman should be given the same respected curteousy.

Mr. Pink
10-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Its definitly been noticeable.

As I have always understood it olineman can have a grip but it has to remain within the interior body of the defender between the shoulder pads - while the offensive lineman and defender's bodies are squared on one another. As soon as the defenseman breaks with leverage the Olineman has got to let go or risk fielding a flag. This isn't happening and its becoming painfully obvious as the season moves on. If the officials aren't going to make the call then lineman are going to do it until they do.

I guess the only advantage to all of it is the Bills OLineman should be given the same respected curteousy.

Any they do.

It's a league wide thing set to protect the leagues most marketable assets.

ChristopherWalken
10-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Any they do.

It's a league wide thing set to protect the leagues most marketable assets.

And this is why QBs like Brady and Rogers will have another stellar year. Much like the new kick off rule, it takes another tangible away from the game.

I'm all for QB protection but their needs to be less limitations.

Mr. Pink
10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
And this is why QBs like Brady and Rogers will have another stellar year. Much like the new kick off rule, it takes another tangible away from the game.

I'm all for QB protection but their needs to be less limitations.

It's definitely a league with rules set in place to protect the players and allow offenses to put points up.

Let's face it not too many people enjoy the 17-13 type of games anymore.

I'm not sure when this shift happened though.

Mad Bomber
10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
There was one play where Dareus was obviously held; the lineman grabbed him such that he actually was twisted to the left. No call. Merriman was getting mugged all day.