PDA

View Full Version : The Morning After: Bills v. Bengals

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 08:48 AM
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2011/10/the-morning-after-bills-v-bengals/

We know this feeling all too well Bills Nation. Like many of you across the country we woke up this morning with an uneasy nauseas feeling in our stomachs as we set out to write this piece. What an ugly game this was and as we said on Twitter, we played down to our opponent yesterday afternoon. I know the Bengals won the game and we give them all the credit but they are not the better team at this point.

justasportsfan
10-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Kyle Williams. Where has he gone? He did fine last year taking on double teams yet he cant get through single blocks this year?

At this point he's looking like aother guy who decided to take it easy after getting a pay check.

Johnny Bugmenot
10-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Kyle Williams. Where has he gone? He did fine last year taking on double teams yet he cant get through single blocks this year?

At this point he's looking like aother guy who decided to take it easy after getting a pay check.
He was overrated from the start. Remember, last year the Bills finished near last in stopping the run and Williams was an integral part of that. Maybe now that he's next to a real D-lineman like Dareus, that will become more and more evident. Remember, the same scouting staff that drafted John ****ing McCargo four rounds ahead of Williams is the same one that discovered Williams. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves heaping praise on the guy.

justasportsfan
10-03-2011, 09:09 AM
He was overrated from the start. Remember, last year the Bills finished near last in stopping the run and Williams was an integral part of that. Maybe now that he's next to a real D-lineman like Dareus, that will become more and more evident. Remember, the same scouting staff that drafted John ****ing McCargo four rounds ahead of Williams is the same one that discovered Williams. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves heaping praise on the guy.

He's definitely not a run stopper but he was a pass rusher and that disappeared

psubills62
10-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I almost wonder if Williams is being told to hold the POA by the coaches. Is he not allowed to penetrate anymore? Have teams caught onto him and are just able to stop him? It's strange all around.

Last I checked, DB, DRC wasn't doing so hot either - better than McKelvin, but altogether that isn't saying much. We definitely need help in our secondary.

Jan Reimers
10-03-2011, 10:15 AM
I almost wonder if Williams is being told to hold the POA by the coaches. Is he not allowed to penetrate anymore? Have teams caught onto him and are just able to stop him? It's strange all around.

Last I checked, DB, DRC wasn't doing so hot either - better than McKelvin, but altogether that isn't saying much. We definitely need help in our secondary.
We also need a pass rush, a receiver that can stretch the field, and an O-line that can hold its own against a strong D-line like Cincinnati's.

k-oneputt
10-03-2011, 10:21 AM
McKelvin, Troup, Carrington... wake me up when any of these guys start to perform.

And lets start working Sheppard in at lb.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Regardless of my secondary comment, I thought Florence played pretty well. Nobody seems to be mentioning him, and while I didn't pay particular attention, I don't remember Green getting many catches while being covered by him. Also didn't hear his name much, which is good for a CB.

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 10:30 AM
McKelvin, Troup, Carrington... wake me up when any of these guys start to perform.

And lets start working Sheppard in at lb.

I will say about Sheppard that I think they are holding him back because he missed a good chunk of camp due to injury. Maybe he's still catching up? Plus with the addition of Morrison inside, there isn't a ton of snaps for him to even take.

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 10:33 AM

144 tackles, 3 FF, and 13 INT's for DRC over his career
126 tackles, 2 FF, and 5 INT's for McKelvin's career

DRC is also playing Nickle CB for Philly this year because Asomaugh and Samuel are ahead of him so his numbers have dipped some.

There is no debate though DRC has by far been the better pro.

DraftBoy

On KW I dont think he's doing a good job of holding the POA. He's giving up 1-3 yards off the snap at times. He is just not playing well at all.

k-oneputt
I will say about Sheppard that I think they are holding him back because he missed a good chunk of camp due to injury. Maybe he's still catching up? Plus with the addition of Morrison inside, there isn't a ton of snaps for him to even take.

Why not. Morrison and Davis are the temporary fixes, Sheppard is the future.
Can't play any worse imo. Let's find out.
Missed time at this point shouldn't be that much of an issue, he plays ilb, not qb. Plus Barnett is out there to help him.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 10:41 AM

DRC is also playing Nickle CB for Philly this year because Asomaugh and Samuel are ahead of him so his numbers have dipped some.

I said he was better. And yeah, he's not in a good position to start in Philly. However, there's reasons why the Cardinals dumped him and he's had his share of burns. Also, as a note, I don't think McKelvin has played as much as DRC has (AFAIK, DRC has played his entire career whereas McKelvin spent a year on IR).

psubills62
10-03-2011, 10:43 AM
On KW I dont think he's doing a good job of holding the POA. He's giving up 1-3 yards off the snap at times. He is just not playing well at all.
Right, and I'm wondering if he's not penetrating because he's being told not to by the coaches. No clue why they'd do that, just speculating as to why he might not be making plays like last year.

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I said he was better. And yeah, he's not in a good position to start in Philly. However, there's reasons why the Cardinals dumped him and he's had his share of burns. Also, as a note, I don't think McKelvin has played as much as DRC has (AFAIK, DRC has played his entire career whereas McKelvin spent a year on IR).

You are correct, DRC also earned his starting spot before McKelvin did and has earned a Pro Bowl spot as well.

Im not saing DRC is one of the best CB's, but comparing him to McKelvin its obvious who is better and its not close.

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Right, and I'm wondering if he's not penetrating because he's being told not to by the coaches. No clue why they'd do that, just speculating as to why he might not be making plays like last year.

Can't see why they would do that, knowing his game is not to try and hold the POA.

If so Edwards and Wanny need to be let go.

k-oneputt
10-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Well just about every starting cb in the league is better then McKelvin right now.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Can't see why they would do that, knowing his game is not to try and hold the POA.

If so Edwards and Wanny need to be let go.
Well, I'm of the opinion that Edwards needs to go anyway. He's done a poor, poor job overall in my opinion.

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Well, I'm of the opinion that Edwards needs to go anyway. He's done a poor, poor job overall in my opinion.

I dont disagree, but Im not sure I want the friggin Cover 2 that Wanny will bring.

OpIv37
10-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Regardless of my secondary comment, I thought Florence played pretty well. Nobody seems to be mentioning him, and while I didn't pay particular attention, I don't remember Green getting many catches while being covered by him. Also didn't hear his name much, which is good for a CB.

I noticed this too- Florence quietly had a good game. Most or all of Green's catches were over McKelvin, and Florence held him in check in the red zone a couple of times.

MikeInRoch
10-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I know the Bengals won the game and we give them all the credit but they are not the better team at this point.

Why do we think they are not the better team?

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Why do we think they are not the better team?

Because Ive seen us execute at a far better rate of success than that. We shot ourselves in the foot and could not make the plays we had made in the past.

The Bengals however played quite possibly the best game of their season.

mysticsoto
10-03-2011, 11:45 AM

What's missing from these stats is how many penalties has McKelvin committed over DRC? How many times has McKelvin been burnt over DRC? How many scores have been on someone they were covering?

These stats aren't so easy to track, but I think they make a world of difference between the two...

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 11:46 AM
What's missing from these stats is how many penalties has McKelvin committed over DRC? How many times has McKelvin been burnt over DRC? How many scores have been on someone they were covering?

These stats aren't so easy to track, but I think they make a world of difference between the two...

The regular stats tell enough of the story and honestly those stats you talk about are so arbitrary I hate getting into them.

mysticsoto
10-03-2011, 11:53 AM
The regular stats tell enough of the story and honestly those stats you talk about are so arbitrary I hate getting into them.

Ordinarily, I might agree, but McKelvin has been burnt so many times, that I think you almost can't just over look those stats...

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Ordinarily, I might agree, but McKelvin has been burnt so many times, that I think you almost can't just over look those stats...

Key to that is we dont know the coverage calls and we dont know the assignments. Without that info being burned is in the eye of the beholder.

I can tell you from experience sitting in the press box, tells you a completely different story about coverages than watching on TV.