PDA

View Full Version : Did any of us expect us to be 3-1?

Mr. Miyagi
10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
So, I was pissed as hell too about yesterday's loss, I also thought the refs really gave the game away, and how we played like chit, etc etc.

Nonetheless, we have far far exceeded my expectations for the season thus far.

I thought we would be at most 2-2 at this point, and I was going to be encouraged if we were 3-3 going into the bye week. It may still happen that way, and I would still be okay with the progress.

At this point, having beaten the Patriots was well worth the stupid loss to the Bungles. I can live with that.

If we learn from this loss and keep up our intensity, we could still very well make the playoffs.

:gobills:

Maximilli
10-03-2011, 09:41 AM
honestly no i didnt really wanted this game because put us in good position i had losing to the pats now this lost cancels it out

Forward_Lateral
10-03-2011, 09:59 AM
I did. I had us 3-1 after 4 weeks.

justasportsfan
10-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I didn't expect us to be 3-1. I expected us to be 4-0

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-03-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't think it was hard to think this team would be 3-1 after four weeks. I hope that isn't making you excited, they are about to play a huge stretch of this schedule. This team can easily be 3-4 after the next four weeks.

trapezeus
10-03-2011, 12:42 PM
i had us at 3-1 with the loss vs the patriots and the win vs the bengals. it was in my preseason prediction article, so you know i'm not making stuff up.

TigerJ
10-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm somewhat surprised, however, I'm very surprised the game we lost was the Cincinnati game. That was a "should win" game as I looked at the season.

ServoBillieves
10-03-2011, 01:02 PM
As stated above, I did have us at 3-1, but not with a loss to the Bungles. Of course, I am,on pace for my 18-1 season prediction...

Jan Reimers
10-03-2011, 01:04 PM
I have us 3-1 in the Official BZ Predictions, but I have the Pats' and Bungles' results switched.

The King
10-03-2011, 01:04 PM
I did. I had us 3-1 after 4 weeks. Ditto

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2011, 06:12 AM
I'll have to dig out the thread, but I believe I also have the Bills losing the next 2 games. Not sure though.

Mad Bomber
10-04-2011, 06:36 AM
I had us at 3-1, with a loss to the Pats.

kishoph
10-04-2011, 06:59 AM
I had hoped we'd be 3 - 1, but I don't think I really expected it, more like 2 - 2.

OpIv37
10-04-2011, 07:16 AM
This is why it's difficult to keep things in perspective after a loss like this.

A month ago, if someone said that we'd be 3-1 with a win over the Patriots at this point in the season, most of us would have said it was nuts. So from that standpoint, we are exceeding expectations.

That being said, beating the Patriots is no excuse for looking like **** against the Bengals and losing what should have been a winnable game.

The reality is that we're not as good as we looked against the Patriots and not as bad as we looked against the Bengals. There is still a lot of football to be played, and the truth is somewhere in the middle. Exactly what that means is hard to say at this point. I could see this team pulling it together and sneaking in as a wild card, or I could see an epic choke job like '02, '05 and '08.

BAM
10-04-2011, 07:27 AM
I was thinking 2-2 at best based on the preseason. Which I knew better than to do but did anyway. No idea now though. The Bengals loss worries me. Huge game this week.

ChristopherWalken
10-04-2011, 07:41 AM
I would have felt better going into the next two weeks being 4-0. Now if the Bills lose the next 2 (which is highly possible) they find themselves sitting .500 before the BYE. Its just an ugly thought after having such a great break out in the season.

Mr. Pink
10-04-2011, 07:53 AM
.500 at the bye would have looked good a month ago, doesn't look so good now with how the team came out of the gate and through the 1st three weeks.

Forward_Lateral
10-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Philly and the Giants are going to be two tough matchups. If they can win one of those games, my optimism will grow.

justasportsfan
10-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I could see this team pulling it together and sneaking in as a wild card, or I could see an epic choke job like '02, '05 and '08.

The world is ending in 2012 fo sho'

ublinkwescore
10-04-2011, 06:28 PM
no, but if you told me we were gonna beat New England, I would have expected to be 4-0 right now.

jimbohastle51
10-05-2011, 01:02 AM
So, I was pissed as hell too about yesterday's loss, I also thought the refs really gave the game away, and how we played like chit, etc etc.

I thought we would be at most 2-2 at this point, and I was going to be encouraged if we were 3-3 going into the bye week. It may still happen that way, and I would still be okay with the progress.

At this point, having beaten the Patriots was well worth the stupid loss to the Bungles. I can live with that.

If we learn from this loss and keep up our intensity, we could still very well make the playoffs.

well said. and honestly.... if it wasnt for a horrible "tuck rule" call that bryan scott scored a TD on, we won that game. If the obvious 4th and 1 catch was ruled a catch as it should have been by stevie johnson then the odds say we score a field goal at least on that drive and it would have been a different ball game. Not making excuses, i understand it was a loss. but the bills lost that game, the bengals did not beat them. that "tuck rule" call was the deciding play. also folks, fitz HAS to get more accurate. even his completed passes look horrible. his inaccuracy was exposed last sunday gentlemen. this loss had more to do with the refs and fitz inaccuracy than the bengals folks.

BertSquirtgum
10-05-2011, 01:36 AM
How will you guys feel if this team ****s the bed and this happens? Would anyone want chan gailey fired?

W1 @ KC - W - 1-0
W2 vs OAK - W - 2-0
W3 vs NE - W - 3-0
W4 @ CIN - L - 3-1
W5 vs PHI - L - 3-2
W6 @ NYG - L -3-3
W7 BYE
W8 vs WAS - L - 3-4
W9 vs NYJ - L - 3-5
W10 @ DAL - L - 3-6
W11 @ MIA - L - 3-7
W12 @ NYJ - L - 3-8
W13 vs TEN - L - 3-9
W14 @ SD - L - 3-10
W15 vs MIA - W - 4-10
W16 vs DEN - W - 5-10
W17 @ NE - L - 5-11

Crisis
10-05-2011, 02:39 AM
i would've been happy with 1-3 before the season if you told me we'd of beaten new england to be completely honest

just glad that ****ing streak is over

Extremebillsfan247
10-05-2011, 05:17 AM

I did expect the Bills to be 3-1. Only, I expected the Bills to lose to New England, and beat the Bengals. The reverse happened instead. Right when the schedules were released I talked repeatedly about KC's record last year being a fluke, that they were not that good of a football team. It turns out that I was right. I figured Oakland would have a tough time coming across country to face the Bills early in the season giving Buffalo an early advantage. But that game was closer than I thought it would be.

The surprises were both New England and Cincinnati. I didn't think the Bengals were any good. I thought New England would just continue their streak. But, now here we sit at 3-1 as I predicted. But the path to that record was surprisingly different from what I expected. I attribute the pattern to the lockout and new CBA. They both had a hand in changing the way games are prepared for by teams in the NFL. It hurt some clubs, and helped others. It was somewhat expected, but no one really knew which teams would benefit and which wouldn't. But, that's probably gaining some clarity now.

I think the Bills are a 9-7 team this year. They will most likely fall to 3rd in our division and miss out on the post season. But that's ok with me because they are showing improvement. Hopefully we can get to the postseason this year. But I think after watching the last 3 games that we are still 1 season behind that. Next year is most likely the year we not only make the post season, but win our division as well. JMO

YardRat
10-05-2011, 06:11 AM
I had us at 3-1 and beating the Pats, but got the KC and Cinci games backwards.

ublinkwescore
10-12-2011, 12:06 PM
about the bengals, we didn't play our best, but it's sad that we didn't need to and the refs simply took it from us. that is absolute BS, and I still want Steratore fired.

Mr. Miyagi
10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
I dare to say NONE OF US expected us to be 4-1. None.

stuckincincy
10-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm somewhat surprised, however, I'm very surprised the game we lost was the Cincinnati game. That was a "should win" game as I looked at the season.

They didn't adapt well, on offense in that game.

CIN put a spy on Fred Jackson. Often, their this-season's acquisition LB Thomas Howard. He has 4.4 speed. Take away the one 21 yard jaunt, and Fred's rushes were something like 2.8 ypc. He was tossed to 8 times, caught 5, with a max gain of 9 yards. A quick hit up the middle with Spiller, perhaps? IMO, they are misusing him. And not this wr nonsense folks talk about.

CIN is very deep and talented on the DL. An unusual circumstance. That's why I recommend that BUF make room on their PS for the recently cut Jason Shirley.

CIN brought in fresh DL bodies all game long, and the BUF OL had difficulty coping with that. BUF should have given this or that OL player a breather throughout the game, when they were in a favorable position or down.

That winning drive - like what fan doesn't know that when Brian Leonard comes in on 3rd AND especially late in the game, he's gonna get the ball? Were I BUF's DC, I radio in...flatten Leonard. Coaching failure...

The PHI coaching staffs must have been idiots. Or not watch film. If you want to beat BUF this season, knocking Fred out of the equation is a good start.

imbondz
10-12-2011, 02:25 PM
but even against a tough Cincy D, we lost w/ a last second FG, and the refs hurt our chances also. cincy's d is better than the pats and eagles.

stuckincincy
10-12-2011, 03:03 PM
but even against a tough Cincy D, we lost w/ a last second FG, and the refs hurt our chances also. cincy's d is better than the pats and eagles.

Forget the refs and the calls. We can argue about the Stevie call, we can argue about the non-call face mask on Leonard. You play the game regardless of what the refs deal out.

They were up by 14 at the half, and then they failed to blanket a rookie qbs' best friend - a tight end, as well as the rookie's other best friend...a back running to the strong side. Benson, mostly.

CIN ended up with 25 first downs, BUF had 12...6 in the 1st half. CIN had 19 in the 2nd half.

BUF's experiment with a 3 - 4 should end.

zone
10-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Half the drive's we got on offense were stalled by bad on non-calls by the ref's. Cincy stole one plain and simple.

They do deserve credit for a decent defensive effort but count your blessings because if they faced us again the outcome most certainly would not be the same.

ServoBillieves
10-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I dare to say NONE OF US expected us to be 4-1. None.

18-1, here we come.

stuckincincy
10-12-2011, 03:32 PM
well said. and honestly.... if it wasnt for a horrible "tuck rule" call that bryan scott scored a TD on, we won that game. .

The tuck rule is a necessity. When a qb gets the snap, unless it's an out-and-out plant into a runner's gut or a pitch to same, they raise the ball in the vicinity of their ears, and scan. If pressure comes and they feel they can't get off a throw, they pull the ball back down. We've all hear the announcers say "He tucked the ball in and takes off..."

When a qb tucks, his arm is moving the ball forward at first. So that was a forward pass. If the ball falls away, it is an incomplete pass. Same as a spike.

Tough noogies for the defense, but if you take away the tuck rule you may as well tell a qb to never scramble out of a congested, messy pocket and try to make a positive play. You are telling him to just move the arm forward then let it fall. Not very exciting football...