PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to Philly

psubills62
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Reasons to be concerned about the Eagles:
1) Obviously, they do have a relatively potent offense with playmakers. Not only do they have Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and Michael Vick, but they have a very, very underrated running back in Lesean McCoy. I have a feeling they'll try to gash us in the run like Cincy did with Benson and with screen plays.

2) I was going to put pass rush here, but my level of concern about that varies depending on the injuries to Bell and Trent Cole. Sounds like Cole will be out, which really helps...but I still wouldn't like Hairston starting.

Reasons we have a good chance to win this game:
1) Our offense vs. their defense. Philly has the 30th ranked run D (based on yards), and they're allowing an awful 5.3 YPC. Frank Gore, who was injured and had a previous average of ~2.5 YPC gained 127 yards on 15 carries against Philly (8.5 YPC). Alex Smith was also able to pass all over the Eagles for 291 yards and 2 TD's for a 63.6 completion %.

I think this is a game where we have a lot of ability to control the ball on offense. This is a perfect game for Fitzpatrick and co. to regain their form. Our defense will need to step up and get just enough stops. This will be another big test for our run game after getting destroyed by Benson.

It could be a very dangerous game, partially because our safeties have been so good in run support. Philly is very good running the ball, but they're also great at the deep passes, which means they'll almost certainly try to bait our safeties with play-action.

In the end, I think this game could go either way. I can see Philly's offense performing up to par (though they really haven't yet this year), but I can see our offense dominating too. It should be an offensive battle depending on # of turnovers.

justasportsfan
10-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Eagles may soar, but buffalos don't get sucked into plane engines.

Mski
10-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Philly will be an interesting challenge for our Offense, on paper they have two of the best CB's in the league over the past few years, but teams have been able to throw the ball well against them. It sounds like one of their best DL's will miss the game which may bode well for our running game. However i think yesterday's game showed that the spread offense doesnt work well for ball control, and playing with the lead, we became too one demensional.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Philly will be an interesting challenge for our Offense, on paper they have two of the best CB's in the league over the past few years, but teams have been able to throw the ball well against them. It sounds like one of their best DL's will miss the game which may bode well for our running game. However i think yesterday's game showed that the spread offense doesnt work well for ball control, and playing with the lead, we became too one demensional.
No pass rush helps. I didn't realize Juqua Parker, Brandon Graham and Daryl Tapp were injured as well. Wonder if any of those guys will be back for Week 5.

ChristopherWalken
10-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Bills need to recitfy the issues on pass defense. Giving up nearly 500 yards total offense to the Bengals is one thing, you give Mike Vick and this Eagles offense that same loose leash and FGs are replaced by TDs.

But point well taken about their run defense. Bills need to handle offensive control and keep the clock under control. I really don't want to see the Bills O fall into a rut now.

justasportsfan
10-03-2011, 11:53 AM
what scares me is that Vick will run around buying time for his recievers to burn McKelvin

If Vick tucks the ball to run and then gets sacked would that fall under the tuck rule again?

BAM
10-03-2011, 11:55 AM
We don't match up well with the Eagles. Hopefully our decent play at home continues or else this one could be ugly!

trapezeus
10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
well, good teams get beat occassionally and they respond loudly. the pats have been doing that for yearse. the bills in the 90's rarely got taken out in back to back weeks. This is the test we were all asking about.

If hte bills roll over and die, we're in trouble. if they win this game, they are a top 16 team in my mind.

jamze132
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
McKelvin will be the one to decide this game. You can all but guarantee that the Eagles are going to throw the ball 50 yrds to whomever McKelvin is locked onto.

The guy looks totally lost out there when the ball is in the air.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 12:42 PM
We don't match up well with the Eagles. Hopefully our decent play at home continues or else this one could be ugly!
I agree on defense we don't, but on offense I think we match up quite well.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Bills need to recitfy the issues on pass defense. Giving up nearly 500 yards total offense to the Bengals is one thing, you give Mike Vick and this Eagles offense that same loose leash and FGs are replaced by TDs.

But point well taken about their run defense. Bills need to handle offensive control and keep the clock under control. I really don't want to see the Bills O fall into a rut now.

Actually its not, the Eagles are one of the worst redzone teams in the league.

streetkings01
10-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Philly is one of the few teams on both sides of the ball we match up horribly against.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Philly is one of the few teams on both sides of the ball we match up horribly against.
Why do you think we match up poorly against their defense?

Crisis
10-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I agree on defense we don't, but on offense I think we match up quite well.

I agree with you, although I think KC is the only team our defense matches up well against...

They can't stop the run at all, as long as Gailey doesn't fall in love with ignoring Fred Jackson again, we can run it all over them. I want to see less spread and more Fred Jackson/Spiller this week.

ChristopherWalken
10-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Actually its not, the Eagles are one of the worst redzone teams in the league.

And the Bills do not need to give them the opportunity to get that ball rolling again.

ChristopherWalken
10-04-2011, 07:30 AM
The more I think about this game the more I think it is necessary for the Bills to win this.

1) Home game. Good teams win at home.
2) Crippled Eagles team struggling. A good team should expose this for what it is and not allow the Eagles to get their footing
3) With a road game the following week at the Giants, I feel more confident about winning one at home than one in the Meadowlands.
4) If the Bills lose to the Eagles and the Giants the Bills would then find themselves at .500 before the BYE. I do not particularly like the thought of that.

Ickybaluky
10-04-2011, 08:45 AM
I think, from match-up view, the Bills have some clear advantages on offense.

Obviously, the Eagles are a small, fast defense that can be pushed around in the power run game. Fred Jackson should have a big day.

In the passing game, the Eagles have been getting hurt a lot because they are playing too much zone. The cover guys they picked up, DRC and Aso, both made their reps as man-to-man defenders. Both have looked lost in zones.

The Eagles are going to have to switch things up and play more man, even though it isn't what they do a lot of traditionally. If they do, the inside guys for the Bills should have a field day. Nelson, Jackson and Spiller should be matched up on either S or LB in the passing game, and they should kill that matchup.

If they play zone like they have, then the outside guys will be more involved as well, because the Eagles have been blowing zone coverages all year.

In short, the Bills should be able to control the LOS with the run game and will have opportunities in the passing game. The Fitzpatrick has to do is take care of the ball, because turnovers will be what stops them. The Eagles DB's like to jump routes, and they have a lot of speed on their defense. That is the only real concern.

On offense, the Eagles are real good, but their OL isn't that good. This should be a game where the Bills can disrupt and get some negatives plays, whether that is pressure on the QB or blowing up run plays. Negative plays will force long-yardage and allow the defense to dictate situations. Obviously, the Eagles have huge big-play potential with explosive players like Vick, Jackson, McCoy, etc. However, if the Bills dominate up front they probably keep them in check.

psubills62
10-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Completely agree with that analysis, Icky. One thing I'm very worried about when Buffalo is on D is the ability of McCoy to break things outside. We're still not good at containing the runners, despite doing well in that regard against McFadden and Charles.

Mad Bomber
10-04-2011, 11:30 AM
I think, from match-up view, the Bills have some clear advantages on offense.

Obviously, the Eagles are a small, fast defense that can be pushed around in the power run game. Fred Jackson should have a big day.

In the passing game, the Eagles have been getting hurt a lot because they are playing too much zone. The cover guys they picked up, DRC and Aso, both made their reps as man-to-man defenders. Both have looked lost in zones.

The Eagles are going to have to switch things up and play more man, even though it isn't what they do a lot of traditionally. If they do, the inside guys for the Bills should have a field day. Nelson, Jackson and Spiller should be matched up on either S or LB in the passing game, and they should kill that matchup.

If they play zone like they have, then the outside guys will be more involved as well, because the Eagles have been blowing zone coverages all year.

In short, the Bills should be able to control the LOS with the run game and will have opportunities in the passing game. The Fitzpatrick has to do is take care of the ball, because turnovers will be what stops them. The Eagles DB's like to jump routes, and they have a lot of speed on their defense. That is the only real concern.

On offense, the Eagles are real good, but their OL isn't that good. This should be a game where the Bills can disrupt and get some negatives plays, whether that is pressure on the QB or blowing up run plays. Negative plays will force long-yardage and allow the defense to dictate situations. Obviously, the Eagles have huge big-play potential with explosive players like Vick, Jackson, McCoy, etc. However, if the Bills dominate up front they probably keep them in check. Excellent post. :bf1:

I too am amazed that they aren't playing more bump and run man-to-man coverage with those CBs they have. Their small and fast front 7 eerily reminds me of the Bills D of the past few years. We should be able to eat them up on the ground.

TigerJ
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Buffalo has the ability to win this game, though it could be a high scoring affair like the Oakland and New England games. Matchups and all are going to be a factor, of course, but the biggest issue is that Buffalo can't beat themselves with poor tackling, drops by the receivers and an ice cold start by Fitzpatrick, all of whichh happened versus Cincinnati.

RoscoeMagic
10-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Is this the game Mike Vick breaks out? Yikes, I'm not afraid of their D at all, but that offense vs. our defense is terrifying. I'm thinking this game will be more similar to the Oakland and NE games than Cincy or KC. I'm thinking shootout.

The Jokeman
10-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Is this the game Mike Vick breaks out? Yikes, I'm not afraid of their D at all, but that offense vs. our defense is terrifying. I'm thinking this game will be more similar to the Oakland and NE games than Cincy or KC. I'm thinking shootout.
Not afraid of their D? Have you seen that Jason Babin has more sacks (7.0) than our entire defense (4.0)? and he'll be matched up with a rookie LT? They've lost two games by a combined 5 points. It's going to be a tough matchup but I give them an edge I worry about who's going to stop up if Stevie gets blanketed by Asomugha. Yes the running game has a chance to carry us but this far we've won with the pass all season if ever there was a team with a strong secondary it's the Eagles. I know it hasn't shown yet but it's only a matter of time for them to gel this is the week for it to happen as Fitzy's gambling style hasn't cost us yet but it's only a matter of time. I also worry about our D specifically our secondary against DeSean Jackson. Toss in McCoy is a solid RB and our D has been good against the run but I think the numbers lie as think with us scoring so many points some teams abandoned the run early in order to keep up with us but the Bengals showed if keep with the run it can hurt us. I'm hoping against hope we win but it won't shock me if we lose.

psubills62
10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm still waiting to hear why people think our offense matches up poorly against their defense.

Babin's sack total is pretty outrageous at this point, which is certainly worrisome. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills run things to try and neutralize his pass rush, including Jackson chipping him and then swinging out for a screen pass, Jackson helping out on that side, Chandler helping out, quicker passes, draw plays to that side, etc.

Honestly, their run D is so suspect that I think we'll see a lot of Jackson and Spiller. It's pretty obvious they match up better with pass defense (at least on paper) than in run D.

Extremebillsfan247
10-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Here is what I think of the Eagles, overrated. They are a classic example of why it takes more than just picking up superstar free agents to make a great team. They thought talent alone would be enough, and they have failed to this point. They forgot about 1 crucial element, team chemistry. It's something this Bills team does have. This Sunday's game will be interesting for a lot more reasons than just the Bills or Eagles records. This game will be more of an example about what is the right or wrong way to build a team. I think the Bills can beat the Eagles.