PDA

View Full Version : Early signup for a high roller FF league

BillsFever
06-27-2003, 05:48 PM
12 Team League and 5,000 Zonebucks for an entry.

1st Place- $30,000
2nd Place- $15,000
3rd Place- $10,000
4th Place- $5,000

BillsOwnAll
07-01-2003, 07:56 AM
im in

Halbert
07-06-2003, 12:52 AM
I'll play.

BillsFever
07-06-2003, 01:28 AM
Don't forget to send the payments to secure your spot.

BillsFever
07-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Where are all the takers? Too expensive?

We're gonna hold the draft in a seperate chat room. The nfl.com website has a draft thing, but it messes up a lot of times.

We'll hold the draft seperately, then release the teams and pick our players up off of the FA market after they've been released.

They also restrict you to how you draft. You should be able to draft whoever and how many of either position you want.

BillsFever
07-06-2003, 08:37 PM
The draft order will be determined like the NBA Draft.

Get them sent ASAP

Chances according to signup

1st- 5-BillsFever
2nd- 4 Romes
3rd- 4-BillsOwnAll
4th- 3-Typ0
5th- 3-Halbert
6th- 3-Dozerdog
7th- 2-Mr. Miyagi
8th- 2-LOG
9th- 2- Voltron
10th- 1- Gunz
11th- 1-SoCal
12th- 1-Mike32282

Romes
07-07-2003, 01:58 AM
i'll play

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 03:01 AM
Romes is paid. You are the 2nd person to signup.

BillsOwnAll
07-07-2003, 07:32 AM
i paid.

Typ0
07-07-2003, 09:21 AM
I'm in.

Halbert
07-07-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by BillsFever
We're gonna hold the draft in a seperate chat room. The nfl.com website has a draft thing, but it messes up a lot of times.

We'll hold the draft seperately, then release the teams and pick our players up off of the FA market after they've been released.

They also restrict you to how you draft. You should be able to draft whoever and how many of either position you want.
Just some concerns I have about this strategy. You are probably correct but I'd rather bring these up now before we draft just in case.

1. I've done a live draft many times on NFL.com and haven't had one mess up yet. Any problems have been associated with coaches who make mistakes due to unfamiliarity with the interface and being unprepared.

2. If you do the draft off-line (as planned) you must be prepared for coaches that are not there when it's their pick. We'll have to decide exactly what happens when a coach isn't available for a pick (or the entire draft). No matter how much you'll plan, I'll bet a minimum of one coach will not be present. If we use the live draft room on NFL.com we don't have to worry about that stuff.

3. Be careful about allowing someone to draft 6 QB's. There could be a lot of problems with this. First, NFL.com might not let you have more than X of a position on a team and if a coach has more than that you've got a problem. Second, if any coach misses a pick or even worse the entire draft, they'll end up with crappy RB's because someone else took 6 starters and the team with the crappy RB's will end up dead. Don't count on trades because the guy with all the starting RB's will want value and the guy with crappy RB's won't be able to provide value without ripping apart their team - making it even deader.

4. Finally, after being involved in live drafts held in a chat room, my best advice is - don't. It turns into a zoo everytime and somebody inevitably gets pissed and screwed out of a player they wanted. Then they end up, you guessed it, with a dead team.

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2003, 12:07 PM
I'm in.

Dozerdog
07-07-2003, 12:09 PM
I'm in

lordofgun
07-07-2003, 12:15 PM
I'm in and paid!

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Halbert

Just some concerns I have about this strategy. You are probably correct but I'd rather bring these up now before we draft just in case.

1. I've done a live draft many times on NFL.com and haven't had one mess up yet. Any problems have been associated with coaches who make mistakes due to unfamiliarity with the interface and being unprepared.

2. If you do the draft off-line (as planned) you must be prepared for coaches that are not there when it's their pick. We'll have to decide exactly what happens when a coach isn't available for a pick (or the entire draft). No matter how much you'll plan, I'll bet a minimum of one coach will not be present. If we use the live draft room on NFL.com we don't have to worry about that stuff.

3. Be careful about allowing someone to draft 6 QB's. There could be a lot of problems with this. First, NFL.com might not let you have more than X of a position on a team and if a coach has more than that you've got a problem. Second, if any coach misses a pick or even worse the entire draft, they'll end up with crappy RB's because someone else took 6 starters and the team with the crappy RB's will end up dead. Don't count on trades because the guy with all the starting RB's will want value and the guy with crappy RB's won't be able to provide value without ripping apart their team - making it even deader.

4. Finally, after being involved in live drafts held in a chat room, my best advice is - don't. It turns into a zoo everytime and somebody inevitably gets pissed and screwed out of a player they wanted. Then they end up, you guessed it, with a dead team.

1. I've never had a problem after the first time I used it either, but some people might.

2. They can send me their ranking list in case they can't attend the draft. Myself, I'll do anything it takes to be there at the draft. If I know when the draft is and can't attend it, then I won't join. That's why I missed out on all the BFZ FF Leagues last year, cause I couldn't find a draft the fit my schedule. :lol:

3. If somebody wants to draft 6QB's then they're idiots anyway :D. After the draft I'm pretty sure you can have as many as you want at a positon. I've had like 6 or 7 RB's on my roster at once sometimes because they were just too good to leave on FA.

4. We all seem like respectable adults, but you never know when it comes to FF and ZB's :snicker:

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 01:04 PM
The only thing I don't like about the nfl.com live draft is they make you draft 2 TE's, K's, and Defenses, and then won't let you draft more then 3 RB's or WR's. Then the rest go to FA and it becomes first come first serve by whoever has the possibility to pick up the players they couldn't draft. You should just be able to pick them up and have as good as chance as everyone else, if you know what I mean.

I think most of us wouldn't mind having the freedom to make trades with our draft picks. Any trade would have to be approved by the members of the league. We would have to have a vote with the other 10 team owners.

I feel when you are playing an important league where people have something at stake, they shouldn't have to draft something they don't even want. I don't know how many times there was another good RB, WR, or QB I wanted but they would make you take a TE, K, or D.

I was thinking this is what we can specify for our draft. It would go 15 rounds.

We could put a limit on how many you draft at each position if everyone feels that it would be a concern.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 01:08 PM
I wish we could get the other 4 people right now so we can figure out our draft position and discuss trades.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 01:16 PM
How do you post your PM box so everyone can verify the order the donations came in if they want to?

Voltron
07-07-2003, 01:38 PM
min

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 01:39 PM
You guys are all in on this too, bring up any questions, concerns, or ideas.

Voltron
07-07-2003, 01:45 PM
I have only been in one FF league ever so I guess I don't have a lot to recomend but I have to say a live draft is nice but a pain for every one to make it. I think late evening on a weekday would prolly be best for most (Not people that work nights I bet) but we should work to find a time where everyone can be there.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Voltron is paid.

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2003, 01:53 PM
I think the first come first serve on the draft order is bogus, because BFever yourself have automatically the best chance to get a high pick. Let's fill the league with teams and then do a random drawing to determine the order in the NBA draft style.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
I think the first come first serve on the draft order is bogus, because BFever yourself have automatically the best chance to get a high pick. Let's fill the league with teams and then do a random drawing to determine the order in the NBA draft style.

I'm not worried about the draft lottery, I had to think of a way to get people to send in their payments quicker so it will fill up :lol:

Typ0
07-07-2003, 02:02 PM
It's fine to have a chat room for a draft...but the actual pics should be posted on the boards by the person making the pick and anyone else posting in that thread should get their ass kicked and pay a 10K zonebuck fine. That way it's organized and everyone can see what picks were made and when. In the chat room there is too much chatter and there is no draft board except for in the middle of all the chatter.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:04 PM
When it fills up we'll have a trustworthy person outside of the league to draw the draft for us.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:05 PM
We can start off doing it by a thread, and then if we can get everybody together on a certain day we can do some of it live to speed it up.

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Thread draft is the way to go. If we start early enough we can allow 1 day per pick. Some people do an email draft that way too and most picks don't take one whole day, Most of the time there are at least 10 picks a day, but just in case someone actually has to do work at work you let them have some time to draft.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:07 PM
If anybody is interested in a weekly fee that goes to the top scorer, speak now or forever hold your peace :D

You would have to make sure that the fee was paid though. It wouldn't work if people stiffed ya.

Gunzlingr
07-07-2003, 02:08 PM
I guess I found out too late to get a decent pick, I will give you a $1000 and take the 12th :D

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by gunzlingr
I guess I found out too late to get a decent pick, I will give you a $1000 and take the 12th :D

No that was a spurt of the moment thing to get people to sign up quick, but it turned into a good idea. We're gonna have a drawing to determine the draft lottery. Then if we do it again next year, the teams who missed the playoffs would be in a lottery together.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:11 PM
No matter where you draft it just about evens out in the end. If you pick first, then you get 20-something other picks before you pick again. You better hope you don't draft a bust there :lol:

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:13 PM
I like picking 1 or 12th the best. You pick who you want then. It's a lot less stressful then hoping another player falls to you next time around.

Gunzlingr
07-07-2003, 02:40 PM
I guess I will do it.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Sweet. Just 2 more people.

LtBillsFan66
07-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the invite Fever. I have to pass though. I'm in too many FF leagues. I want to concentrate on my pay (real money) league this year.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Gunz is paid

SoCalBillsFan
07-07-2003, 02:46 PM
i'm in

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Just one more left :up:

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:48 PM
SoCal is paid.

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Hey gunz how did you score so many zbs suddenly???

As far as the weekly top scorer fee goes, I suggest if we're going to do it, make everyone pay the whole amount up front so we won't have to go chase everyone down for the fee weekly.

I take it after we filled all the teams we're going to reshuffle for the lottery order, right?

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 02:59 PM

I take it after we filled all the teams we're going to reshuffle for the lottery order, right?

Yeppers, we just need 1 more player. I'm trying to find one.

Who do we get to draw for us?

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2003, 03:02 PM
I'll draw. I promise I'll be fair.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 03:05 PM
The draft lottery will be perfect next year. The teams who missed the playoffs go in the lottery.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 03:06 PM
If somebody in the group does it then there's always somebody who thinks they got ripped off.

It usually needs to be an outside source with no connection to the members.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Anybody know of 1 more person that wants to play?

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Well then I suggest one of the mods/admins. Jaded is usually pretty fair too, I can trust her.

Gunzlingr
07-07-2003, 03:10 PM

I have slowly been accumulating them since I paid off my survivor debts.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 03:11 PM
Me and gunz have been neck to neck for about 3 months :lol:

Gunzlingr
07-07-2003, 03:11 PM
. Jaded is usually pretty fair too, I can trust her.

TB, is as impartial as possible. J is too sneaky :D

Dozerdog
07-07-2003, 03:12 PM

Spamming the No Tos forum with his Vegas comedy act

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 03:12 PM
I was thinking TB too. I'm sure he'd be honest about it. I just want everything to be 100% legit with no questions asked.

BillsNYC
07-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the invite...but seeing as you pm-ed BFO before me I will have to turn the offer down.

lordofgun
07-07-2003, 03:18 PM
We doing this on NFL.com...the free leagues? I don't think they let you determine the draft order. When you sign up, they assign randomly. If that's the case, we also cannot do an offline draft. They require either a live or pre-rank draft.

The only other way is to pay for a commish service.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
Thanks for the invite...but seeing as you pm-ed BFO before me I will have to turn the offer down.

It's nothing personal man. I've been searching for regular posters with the money to join, and I came to him first :lol:

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
We doing this on NFL.com...the free leagues? I don't think they let you determine the draft order. When you sign up, they assign randomly. If that's the case, we also cannot do an offline draft. They require either a live or pre-rank draft.

We could always just release everyone and pick them up as FA's.

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2003, 03:23 PM
I thought we were doing the draft on a thread.

TB is the way to go.

Gunz has been spamming the board with all those weeklyworldnews posts. :laughter:

Gunzlingr
07-07-2003, 03:27 PM
You guys are too much!

Romes
07-07-2003, 04:01 PM
What about Wys?

He seems like the type of person who would enjoy some friendly competition.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 04:01 PM
We'll give Wys the 1st pick. He'll just use it on Travis Brown or Shawn Bryson anyway :D

SoCalBillsFan
07-07-2003, 04:22 PM
what kind of draft are we doing? top-bottom, then bottom top? Or just start over at 1 every round?

Throne Logic
07-07-2003, 04:28 PM
sorry. me too po' to play.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 04:31 PM
If you pick 1st overall, you'll be the last person to pick in the 2nd round, etc.

Gunzlingr
07-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Snake works best, short of NFL.com's random order for each round.

TypicalBill
07-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

Yahoo.com started the registration process... you can create a custom free league and conduct an offline draft then post the results later.

TypicalBill
07-07-2003, 04:50 PM
BTW, thanks everyone for your trust... im here when ever you need to do the draft.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Yahoo's FF Leagues are terrible though :D

Gunzlingr
07-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Yahoo's FF Leagues are terrible though :D

I have been in them and NFL's for the last 4 years, and Yahoo wins hands down. NFL is so slow on game day, I lost games because I couldn't make changes in my roster. The interface is horrible, imo.

Halbert
07-07-2003, 05:13 PM
I played in 3 Yahoo leagues last year, including one where I was commissioner, and the only bad thing about them is no live scoring during the games (unless you pay). I couldn't really care less about that anyway because I don't even bother checking until Monday, but some people didn't like that.

Halbert
07-07-2003, 05:17 PM
BTW - my vote would be to use Yahoo, do the live draft there, and forget about a thread or bb draft.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Live Scoring is a MUST :D

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 05:21 PM
We'll probably have to use Yahoo if they're the only ones that let you customize your draft.

Unless NFL.com changed it this year, you can't do that there. We'd have to release everybody after the draft then pick up our players off of FA. It wouldn't bother me but I don't know about everyone else.

I'd have to have live scoring though. I would go insane without it.

Halbert
07-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Also, for what it's worth ...

Draft position in FF is hugely overrated. By reversing the draft order in even rounds you eliminate virtually all the advantage of drafting first. In fact, I see drafting first as a disadvantage because you have to wait 23 more picks until you're up again and you had better hope you get the quality out of the top pick to balance the drop-off at 24. Personally, I prefer drafting right around 6th. But it really doesn't matter to me where I pick.

Besides, assuming everybody does a reasonable job of homework on the draft preparation everybody is going to end up with approximately even rosters immediately following the draft. Due to injuries, lost jobs, and studs that come out of nowhere, everybody's roster is going to evolve anyway.

Truth is, FF is about 10% draft (unless you really suck), 40% waiver wire, and 50% luck (assuming you pay regular attention to your team).

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Check your PM's Halbert. Thanks

Halbert
07-07-2003, 05:31 PM
I'd have to have live scoring though. I would go insane without it.
I think they charge something like $10 a person or $60 a league for live scoring. At least they did last year. Great service otherwise, tho, IMO.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 05:36 PM
It doesn't matter to me where I draft either. I like being high enough where I get one of the top players, but not too high.

Halbert
07-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Last year I played in 10 leagues and I got really lucky by getting the first overall pick in 4 of them. Naturally I picked Faulk every time.

Well you know what happened. Marshall was unreliable most of the year due to injury and wasn't even around for the FF playoffs. Yet I still ended up winning 6 of the leagues I played in.

Of course I had to be very lucky to win all those championships. But the point I was making is that I was able to put together good teams even after losing the best player in the entire league. It's because I spent a lot of time following the situations around the league and taking chances on waiver players that just happened to work out.

For example, on one of the BFZ leagues I won last year I picked up Trent Green, Chad Pennington, William Green, Plaxico Burris, Koren Robinson, Jeff Wilkins, and Randy McMichael on waivers. William Green and Burris I held onto the entire season and luckily they both got hot at the end of the season. I turned over 60+% of my starting roster by season's end and still won.

Point is, the waiver wire is second only to luck in winning a FF championship. Draft position is overrated.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Halbert is a FF phenom :snicker:

I've been doing it for 2 years, have joined 7 leagues total. I've had 3 championship apperances and lost them all :down:

I'm the Buffalo Bills of Fantasy Football :eek:

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 05:51 PM
I sure wish we could get this last player soon so we can know our draft position. I'd probably be looking into switching picks around.

Michael82
07-07-2003, 06:27 PM
I'm in! I'll be the last person. I'm sending the ZBs your way right now...

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 06:28 PM
:up:

We're all filled up fellas

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Mike is paid.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 06:36 PM
If I'm not back in one year, call the cops :snicker:

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2003, 08:14 PM
I also vote for doing the league on Yahoo. I've played with them in the last few years and have been very satisfied. I also can't live without live scoring so I pay the $12 or something for that feature as well as some other features. Not a big deal.

NFL.com FF sucks, IMO.

Thread draft, right???

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 08:22 PM
I'd like to make it a live draft if possible. One of the funnest parts of FF are the split second decisions on draft day.

It'd take a week or two at least if we did the entire thing over threads.

Mr. Miyagi
07-07-2003, 08:26 PM
If it's live draft, where would you do it? Yahoo chat room? Yahoo IM? And I hope the date we set is good for everyone. It's hard for me with two young kids to set aside 3-4 hours in one setting to do a live draft, especially when this won't be the only league I'm in.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 08:38 PM
We could do half each day. Not sure where at yet. Wherever everybody can get to.

If you can't make part of your draft then send your rankings too me, and if you miss your pick I'll take your highest rated player left available.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 09:14 PM
I was bored so I did 4 drawings and accumalated the points. To get it over with quicker, we can use this one if everyone agrees.

The points went like this...

1. Mr. Miyagi- 37
2. Dozer- 34
3. Typ0- 33
4. Halbert- 32
5. SoCal- 28
6. Romes- 27
7. LOG- 24
8. BillsFever- 23
9. BOA- 19
10. Gunz- 17
11. Mike- 16
12. Voltron- 16

Mike won the coinflip for 11th. It was all legit, and did it 4 times to determine it better. We can use it or let TB, but it was a pain, let alone somebody else doing it.

Dozerdog
07-07-2003, 09:35 PM
I vote for using NFL.com

Dozerdog
07-07-2003, 09:36 PM
BTW- While I prefer the 7-10 slot for drafting- I'm cool with this.

Halbert
07-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Fine wit me.

Gunzlingr
07-07-2003, 09:44 PM
If it's live draft, where would you do it? Yahoo chat room? Yahoo IM? And I hope the date we set is good for everyone. It's hard for me with two young kids to set aside 3-4 hours in one setting to do a live draft, especially when this won't be the only league I'm in.

Amen!

I vote yahoo

Gunzlingr
07-07-2003, 09:47 PM
In the past, I have paid for 1 live scoring, and it worked in all of my Yahoo leagues. Last year I got it for free in all my leagues (as did almost everyone I know from the 3 leagues I was in - 1 guy was left out! :snicker:)

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 09:56 PM
How do you guys feel about expanding to 14 or 16 teams? There's some more interest.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
BTW- While I prefer the 7-10 slot for drafting- I'm cool with this.

That's just the order for the draft lottery selection.

lordofgun
07-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Yahoo is lame. No one comes close to NFL/Sportsline leagues, IMO.

Also, I've NEVER had a problem in the NFL.com draft room, and I've drafted in there many a time.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 10:24 PM
NFL.com is my favorite too, but they don't offer what we need for our league :madcurse:

Halbert
07-07-2003, 10:27 PM
How do you guys feel about expanding to 14 or 16 teams? There's some more interest.
No. 12 is perfect. Any more and somebody will be pissed at having to start Wayne Chrebet all season.

Halbert
07-07-2003, 10:33 PM
BTW - If you're going to use Yahoo you better set it up fast. Prime times are already filled up.

I'm drafting live in other leagues so far:

Wed 7/16 8:05 PM
Mon 8/18 8:35 PM
Mon 8/25 9:05 PM
Wed 8/27 9:35 PM

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 10:34 PM
I'm setting it up right now.

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 10:35 PM
We're doing the draft offline so I don't think that will matter.

BillsFever
We do the draft on our schedule and add the teams later.

Typ0
I think 14 or 16 would be fine since there are more people that want to play...plus it all comes down to the draft. There will be less top end players but that should mean that each team will bear the brunt of that. If one team gets too man players like that it's their own fault.

Dozerdog
07-07-2003, 10:37 PM
What do we need other than the draft room?

NFL.com

Don't make me have Al Davis Sue your ass...:D

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2002/0220/photo/a_davis_i.jpg

BillsFever
07-07-2003, 10:37 PM
14 teams isn't that bad.

Halbert
07-10-2003, 09:59 PM
I think BillsFever skipped town in a new jag payed for by our zb's.

BillsFever
07-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
I think BillsFever skipped town in a new jag payed for by our zb's.

:lol:

BillsFever
07-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Actually it was a Viper.

Schobel94
07-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Is there any room left? Id like to join too if I can

BillsFever
07-10-2003, 10:11 PM
It's all full. I would be up for another one if there is enough interest though.

Dozerdog
07-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Schobel-

Start another!

Clump and others missed out! Just use the same scoring system we will- identical to NFL.com - so we can use your league in our ultimate FFL championship tourney of death