PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck Sweepstakes leader: Miami??

Ebenezer
10-03-2011, 12:58 PM
At the quarter pole take a look at the teams in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes:

Miami - 0-4
Minnesota - 0-4
St. Louis - 0-4
Indi 0-4

Using the Sagarin SOS calculation (only one available this early in the season that I could find) the first four picks would be:

St. Louis
Miami
Minnesota
Indi

Everybody thinks Luck is the next Manning. What happens if the kid ends up in Miami??

justasportsfan
10-03-2011, 01:00 PM
What happens if the kid ends up in Miami??

he'll end up in jail.

Ed
10-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Miami always starts slow, but they have some talent and they'll find a way to win some games.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Bradford ended up in St. Louis and look how they're doing. I'd hate to see Luck in Miami, but the fact of the matter is that if we're building a good team, we have to be able to beat those kinds of QB's, period.

Also, with how teams fluctuate this year, I don't think the 1-win teams are out of the race quite yet. And it's a little early to determine SOS.

justasportsfan
10-03-2011, 01:04 PM
St. Louis will draft Luck and trade Bradford. Mark it.

OpIv37
10-03-2011, 01:11 PM
It would be just our luck (no pun intended).... 3-4 years from now, Brady is ready to retire, and by that time, Luck is hitting his prime and we spend the next 10 years being Miami's whipping boy just like we spent the last 10 as NE's whipping boy.

justasportsfan
10-03-2011, 01:16 PM
It would be just our luck (no pun intended).... 3-4 years from now, Brady is ready to retire, and by that time, Luck is hitting his prime and we spend the next 10 years being Miami's whipping boy just like we spent the last 10 as NE's whipping boy.

:refuse:

BADTHINGSMAN
10-03-2011, 01:27 PM

That wont happen, because Miami will trade him to the Patriots for some empty tuna cans and think they robbed the Pats.

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Bradford ended up in St. Louis and look how they're doing. I'd hate to see Luck in Miami, but the fact of the matter is that if we're building a good team, we have to be able to beat those kinds of QB's, period.

Also, with how teams fluctuate this year, I don't think the 1-win teams are out of the race quite yet. And it's a little early to determine SOS.

Bradford isn't Luck, and its not really close either.

That's how good this kid is.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Bradford isn't Luck, and its not really close either.

That's how good this kid is.
That's fine. My point remains. You should build a good team either way. Of course you have to worry about intra-divisional foes, but you can't control who they get and don't get. Great QB's aren't invincible...just have to do what you can to beat them, kind of like playing against Brady and Manning.

OpIv37
10-03-2011, 02:14 PM
That's fine. My point remains. You should build a good team either way. Of course you have to worry about intra-divisional foes, but you can't control who they get and don't get. Great QB's aren't invincible...just have to do what you can to beat them, kind of like playing against Brady and Manning.

Except here's the problem: divisional foes rarely if ever beat Brady or Manning. Both of their teams have owned their respective divisions for a decade.

We don't want to be in the same situation with Luck if he ends up in Miami.

Miami_Vice
10-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I would LOVE for the Fins to get Luck. If it means we have to lose every game....so be it!

That being said, I see the Colts being the worst team. I just don't see how they are gonna win any games with their QB play.

It would piss me off so much if the Colts got Luck. Going from Peyton Manning then to Luck?!?! That would just not be fair. They should suffer for awhile like the Fins & Bills did when Marino & Kelly retired

psubills62
10-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Except here's the problem: divisional foes rarely if ever beat Brady or Manning. Both of their teams have owned their respective divisions for a decade.

We don't want to be in the same situation with Luck if he ends up in Miami.
Manning has owned the AFC South...but I'm not sure Brady has owned the AFC East nearly as much as people think. He tends to struggle against the Jets and even Miami has had success against him previously. We were really the only ones he dominated.

What do you want to do about it? Lose on purpose to them to give them extra wins so they don't get Luck?

IMO, there's no use worrying about it when teams are at 0-4. Personally, I don't see any team going 0-16 just to get him, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

Thing is, if you want to win the Super Bowl, you're almost certainly going to have to go through a great QB. Just build a great team, get a franchise QB of your own and go toe to toe with them.

OpIv37
10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Manning has owned the AFC South...but I'm not sure Brady has owned the AFC East nearly as much as people think. He tends to struggle against the Jets and even Miami has had success against him previously. We were really the only ones he dominated.

What do you want to do about it? Lose on purpose to them to give them extra wins so they don't get Luck?

IMO, there's no use worrying about it when teams are at 0-4. Personally, I don't see any team going 0-16 just to get him, but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

Thing is, if you want to win the Super Bowl, you're almost certainly going to have to go through a great QB. Just build a great team, get a franchise QB of your own and go toe to toe with them.

Brady and the Patriots owned the AFCE because they win the division practically every year. They've won it 8 of the last 10 years, and Brady was injured in one of the two years that they didn't win it.

So what if the Dolphins or the Jets steal a regular season win from the patriots? If they're 13-3 or 12-4 on the season, they still win the division. The other teams in the division have to fight for a wild card then go on the road for the whole playoffs if they're lucky enough to get in.

That's what the AFCE and AFCS have been dealing with because of Brady and Manning, and I don't want that to repeat itself with Luck.

You are right in that no team is going to go 0-16 just to get Luck, but that doesn't preclude the Dolphins from getting him.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Brady and the Patriots owned the AFCE because they win the division practically every year. They've won it 8 of the last 10 years, and Brady was injured in one of the two years that they didn't win it.

So what if the Dolphins or the Jets steal a regular season win from the patriots? If they're 13-3 or 12-4 on the season, they still win the division. The other teams in the division have to fight for a wild card then go on the road for the whole playoffs if they're lucky enough to get in.

That's what the AFCE and AFCS have been dealing with because of Brady and Manning, and I don't want that to repeat itself with Luck.

You are right in that no team is going to go 0-16 just to get Luck, but that doesn't preclude the Dolphins from getting him.
So what if they win the division? That's not owning them, in my opinion. Good teams will win other games besides the ones against great QB's.

Only 4 games have been played and there are three 0-4 teams (Eb, Indy isn't 0-4 yet, they play tonight). Why is this worth worrying about right now? And how is it going to change what we do? We still have Tom Brady to contend with, so we need to be built to beat great QB's anyway. We've got a head start on Luck - if we continue to add pieces, we should have an overall very good team that is difficult to beat.

I don't see the point of the whining and I don't see how this changes anything from Buffalo's end. Would I love to be in an easy conference? Yes. But if we get to the playoffs, we'll know we earned it (unlike KC last year). The NFL is never going to get easy...all I can say to everyone is: deal with it.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Maybe it should also be mentioned that it's not even guaranteed that Luck will come out this year. People need to get a grip. We're 1/4 of the way through the season and people already have us on another 10 year losing streak to the kid.

THRILLHO
10-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I think people are spending too much time worrying about what COULD happen IF a division rival gets a ROOKIE qb.

Mike13
10-03-2011, 03:49 PM
****, whats one more losing season to get the best QB prospect in over decade?

The fact that so many of you are squirming over it is hilarious.
and I dont see the Dolphins winning until we play Kansas City.

kingJofNYC
10-03-2011, 04:04 PM
What about the RGIII sweepstakes?

If he plays well the next few weeks he'll boost his stock dramatically.

B-DON
10-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Well the dolphins had Marino and look where that got them. Ppl talk about luck like he's guaranteed to win a superbowl.

Night Train
10-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Polian would trade with St. Louis to get him.

Crisis
10-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Miami is going to back their way into enough wins to keep them from not getting Luck.

Minnesota will probably end up with him.

Night Train
10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Miami is going to back their way into enough wins to keep them from not getting Luck.

Hmmm...I'd take Ponder off their hands for McKelvin and a stale danish.

DraftBoy
10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Any team who has a QB they like already (MIN, STL, etc.) will trade the #1 pick and will demand what it cost to get Vick if not more. With the new restrictive rookie scale, #1 picks value skyrockets.

Mike13
10-03-2011, 06:59 PM

You can only hope, Do not underestimate how inept Sparano is.

YardRat
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I would LOVE for the Fins to get Luck. If it means we have to lose every game....so be it!

That being said, I see the Colts being the worst team. I just don't see how they are gonna win any games with their QB play.

It would piss me off so much if the Colts got Luck. Going from Peyton Manning then to Luck?!?! That would just not be fair. They should suffer for awhile like the Fins & Bills did when Marino & Kelly retired

The Fins suffered the entire time Marino was playing, but the fans were just too stupid to realize it.

Cntrygal
10-03-2011, 08:26 PM

:(

Demon
10-03-2011, 11:51 PM
I think people are spending too much time worrying about what COULD happen IF a division rival gets a ROOKIE qb.

With Luck, comes Jon Gruden. Miami could become a power in the AFC with just one bad season. It's worth talking about IMO.

psubills62
10-03-2011, 11:54 PM
With Luck, comes Jon Gruden. Miami could become a power in the AFC with just one bad season. It's worth talking about IMO.
Not with 12 games left in the season.

THRILLHO
10-04-2011, 12:00 AM
IF they get Luck, they MIGHT get Gruden. Miami COULD become a power house. It isnt worth talking about because we are only 25% through the current season.

DraftBoy
10-04-2011, 07:26 AM
From the Miami fans I follow on Twitter the talk is all about their push for Cowher.

OpIv37
10-04-2011, 07:29 AM
From the Miami fans I follow on Twitter the talk is all about their push for Cowher.

Cowher/Luck would be Brady-Bellicheck II. It's the worst possible thing that could happen to us.

DraftBoy
10-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Cowher/Luck would be Brady-Bellicheck II. It's the worst possible thing that could happen to us.

Oh well, nothing we can do about it now.

Static
10-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Wow this thread is over reaction at its finest.

Dujek
10-04-2011, 08:05 AM
At the quarter pole take a look at the teams in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes:

Miami - 0-4
Minnesota - 0-4
St. Louis - 0-4
Indi 0-4

Using the Sagarin SOS calculation (only one available this early in the season that I could find) the first four picks would be:

St. Louis
Miami
Minnesota
Indi

Everybody thinks Luck is the next Manning. What happens if the kid ends up in Miami??

If St Louis ends up with the first pick they trade out of there and it goes to whoever is prepared to mortgage their entire draft on Luck. The only way Miami gets him is if they actually earn the first pick.

psubills62
10-04-2011, 09:03 AM
If St Louis ends up with the first pick they trade out of there and it goes to whoever is prepared to mortgage their entire draft on Luck. The only way Miami gets him is if they actually earn the first pick.
St. Louis has looked bad, but I still don't think they end up with Luck. They still haven't played anyone in the NFC West...that's gotta be worth a few wins right there. In fact, they don't play anyone from their division until Week 9.