PDA

View Full Version : Still Images of Stevie's Catch

YE OLE COTTON
10-03-2011, 08:34 PM
These still frames of Stevie's catch were brought to YE OLE's attention... what do you guys think?

http://www.thebillsblog.com/2011/10/stevie-johnson-catch-vs-bengals.html

Just as a side note... it should have never come down to this one call. The Bills lost this game on several other levels. It's simply a closer look at this call, that was indeed pivotal in the game.

Meathead
10-03-2011, 08:44 PM
the ref saw clements glove. at normal speed the pink glove looks looks like the lighter highlight of sunlight shining off ball and its moving, prompting the ref to think the ball was shifting. on slow-mo replay you can clearly make out the brown of the ball against the glove, and see that the ball definitely is not moving, which does and should conclusively prove he did catch it. how somebody could watch that replay and not see a clear reversal is unexplainable. shazam!

Meathead
10-03-2011, 08:45 PM
but really im over it now. honest and for true i will never mention it again. what replay?

DrGraves
10-03-2011, 09:24 PM
just the nfl keeping the bills in check... ratings would be much better if the pats or jets made the super bowl

zone
10-03-2011, 09:33 PM
I was just finally calming down. Thanks...

Unreal.

By the way F Nate Clements, him waiving his arms around like a f'n moron cost us a game.

sdbillsfan2
10-03-2011, 10:21 PM
It's history.......time to move on.

Thundering Buffalo
10-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Why the hell have replay if the fuc^in refs can't get the call right...unreal

RoscoeMagic
10-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Can't understand how they overturned that if it was ruled a catch on the field.

Whatever. Time to move on.

Figster
10-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Can't understand how they overturned that if it was ruled a catch on the field.

Whatever. Time to move on.

It wasn't ruled a catch on the field

RoscoeMagic
10-03-2011, 11:31 PM

Ah thanks yeah I misread this:

"Remember, this was ruled a catch, until the back judge ran in and called this incomplete on the field. What did he see? Upon review, the call on the field was upheld, but with no explanation. What is your take? This looks like a catch to us."

I didn't think it was, but saw that bolded part and made a rash post without thinking :up:

I think the biggest indicator was Stevie getting up so quickly and Jackson I think too it was, they were both sure he caught it and told Gailey to challenge, I believe the announcers said.

BertSquirtgum
10-04-2011, 01:50 AM
clearly a catch. Bills got ****ed in the ass. the head ref should lose his paycheck for that game.

kishoph
10-04-2011, 03:59 AM
The Refs have been terrible this year, they played into the outcome of a few games this weekend. Have they stopped calling holding on the O-Linemen ? It's time to get full time Officials and get rid of these old men.

madness
10-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Stevie called out the back judge on more than his catch. His reply is in my sig.

zone
10-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Stevie called out the back judge on more than his catch. His reply is in my sig.
Exactly the buck didn't start or stop with that play. It was happening all day. Most drives had a questionable call or non call that forced 3 and outs.

don137
10-04-2011, 10:24 AM
This was a very bad week for refs. I am not saying there is a conspiracy theory but it does look peculiar that large market teams and teams with a large fan base get the calls that help them such as Green Bay and Pittsburgh.
The calls against Buffalo helps New England and the Jets. The Giants had a call at end of game that helped them. The Bears had a call go their way against Panthers that turned out to be very costly as well (Shockey got called for offensive pass interference on a TD catch when replays show that Shockey did not push off at all and just had a hand on the defender For a brief moment which happens literally almost every play. The Panthers drive ended up with a blocked FG and they lost by 5. Rodgers had a play reversed when he was initially was ruled down before going into end zone. GB challenged he was not down before entering end zone but the ref reversed it and called it a TD. I freeze framed my DVR and his knee hit ground clearly before going into end zone.
This just tells me money talks and it appears the league does not want fair play but wants the teams that can generate the most revenue to be in the playoffs.

DraftBoy
10-04-2011, 10:40 AM
I wish we have the back angle still shots. I dont care about this angle, this isnt the angle the ref had who overruled his fellow official had.

ddaryl
10-04-2011, 10:46 AM
both angles shown during the game clearly showed a catch IMO....

how a ref could get that one would wrong defies any and all logic...

it baffles me, and has me wearing a tinfoil hat thinking conspiracy... Seriously how could anyone get that one wrong after replay ???

Figster
10-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I wish we have the back angle still shots. I dont care about this angle, this isnt the angle the ref had who overruled his fellow official had.

We see mistakes happen all the time with officiating, but what really gets me is the replay gave them the chance to make the right call.

Instant replay should be a separate entity from the officiating crew on the field in my opinion.

Only way this kind of problem would be solved...

ServoBillieves
10-04-2011, 10:54 AM
I'll tell you what I see:

Pic 1: Catch
Pic 2: Catch
Pic 3: Catch
Pic 4: Catch

Whatever, the Bills D cost us this game, the O was ready to go. The refs and the tuck rule really ****ed us in this game, pardon my french.

DraftBoy
10-04-2011, 10:56 AM
We see mistakes happen all the time with officiating, but what really gets me is the replay gave them the chance to make the right call.

Instant replay should be a separate entity from the officiating crew on the field in my opinion.

Only way this kind of problem would be solved...

Instant Replay has never been that. Mistakes still happen even with replay.

Again I want to see the still shots from the back angle. That is the definitive proof Bills fans would need.

Figster
10-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Instant Replay has never been that. Mistakes still happen even with replay.

Again I want to see the still shots from the back angle. That is the definitive proof Bills fans would need.

There's no way we will ever know exactly what the back judge actually seen or didn't see from his angle on the football field.

Do you honestly think still photo's taken from where the camera is stationed or a slow motion replay can duplicate precisely what someone see's on the field?

I don't, and is why we have instant replay, to achieve the correct call. Again, it is in the best interest of everyone concerned to make the replay booth a separate entity from the officiating crew on the field in my opinion.

DraftBoy
10-04-2011, 11:16 AM
There's no way we will ever know exactly what the back judge actually seen or didn't see from his angle on the football field.

Do you honestly think still photo's taken from where the camera is stationed or a slow motion replay can duplicate precisely what someone see's on the field?

I don't, and is why we have instant replay, to achieve the correct call. Again, it is in the best interest of everyone concerned to make the replay booth a separate entity from the officiating crew on the field in my opinion.

I dont disagree but even in College Football mistakes are still made. If anybody expect Instant Replay to provide the correct call everytime they are mistaken. Its minimizes it certainly but things like this are going to occur.

Yasgur's Farm
10-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Some say that it doesn't matter because the stats prove that Cin outplayed us. But at that point in the game, the stats were very, very close with the Bills driving for potential points. Those points would have given us a 2 score lead and a better command of the situation. Instead, a refs extremely bad call deflated the Bills and boosted the Bengles. Nobody can say that it wasn't THE turning point!

Yasgur's Farm
10-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I dont disagree but even in College Football mistakes are still made. If anybody expect Instant Replay to provide the correct call everytime they are mistaken. Its minimizes it certainly but things like this are going to occur.I don't know how anyone could refer to that call on the review a "mistake". I don't usually blame the refs... Hell... I don't even think the music city miracle was a forward pass.

DraftBoy
10-04-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't know how anyone could refer to that call on the review a "mistake". I don't usually blame the refs... Hell... I don't even think the music city miracle was a forward pass.

Well whether you can believe it or not, it has happened. Though I do find it interesting the Bills made no mention of sending it into the league to review or the league made any comment on it.

zone
10-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Well whether you can believe it or not, it has happened. Though I do find it interesting the Bills made no mention of sending it into the league to review or the league made any comment on it.
Because what is that going to do? The time for fixing that ended after the replay an apology now only makes it worse IMO. They need to focus on the Eagles now.

Luckly I am not Gailey because I would have stood at mid field and kept throwing my red flag at the back judges head until they made the correct call.

They lost the game and that is that, but that game was beyond bad officiating and it wasn't just that catch. Also I don't care if losers blame the ref's or whatever the game was changed significantly because of bad calls or the lack of calls.

madness
10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
The Steratore brothers. Apparently ****ing up NFL games is a family business. One was the head ref for the Bills game who blew the Megatron catch last year for Detroit and also screwed Miami when Big Ben fumbled in the end zone last year.

The other brother? The back judge who came up with the wonderful terminology "He gave himself up" in the Giants game on Sunday.

ublinkwescore
10-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally, yes it was.

ublinkwescore
10-04-2011, 01:06 PM
clearly a catch. Bills got ****ed in the ass. the head ref should lose his paycheck for that game.

that head ref should lose his job. plain and simple.

Figster
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally, yes it was.

Again, it wasn't ruled a catch on the field, it was called a catch, then ruled incomplete.

ublinkwescore
10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Because what is that going to do? The time for fixing that ended after the replay an apology now only makes it worse IMO. They need to focus on the Eagles now.

Luckly I am not Gailey because I would have stood at mid field and kept throwing my red flag at the back judges head until they made the correct call.

They lost the game and that is that, but that game was beyond bad officiating and it wasn't just that catch. Also I don't care if losers blame the ref's or whatever the game was changed significantly because of bad calls or the lack of calls.

how can you say we lost that because of more than bad officiating. if we get that completion, our O stays on for at least 3 more plays and thus protect our defense for a little longer, and prolong the bengals from getting on the field.

ublinkwescore
10-04-2011, 01:17 PM
that call plain and simple was the single and only necessary nail in our coffin. and it was put there by a plain wrong call - the refs. not the bengals who are still the inferior team. I did count at least 4 instances where the refs could have thrown flags against the bengals for pass interference, but didn't... of those 4 there were 2 that I feel they needed to, but didn't. the other two, i felt like it could be left to the refs discretion because at some point, do you just let them play football and go with the spirit of the law?

Figster
10-04-2011, 01:20 PM
that call plain and simple was the single and only necessary nail in our coffin. and it was put there by a plain wrong call - the refs. not the bengals who are still the inferior team. I did count at least 4 instances where the refs could have thrown flags against the bengals for pass interference, but didn't... of those 4 there were 2 that I feel they needed to, but didn't. the other two, i felt like it could be left to the refs discretion because at some point, do you just let them play football and go with the spirit of the law?

Two or three obvious holding calls on the Bengals offense that were also missed or ignored

Billz_fan
10-04-2011, 01:24 PM
If we miss the playoffs by 1 game or something then I can see a reason to beat on this horse some more. In the end the Bills turned in a sour performance in the 2nd half and the last quarter for sure. Almost 500 (480) yards of offense given up to the bung holes im surprised we did not lose by more.

Im not saying everyone needs to give it up. Do what you need to do to exercise your demons :laughter:

Boomstick
10-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I'll tell you what I see:

Pic 1: Catch
Pic 2: Catch
Pic 3: Catch
Pic 4: Catch

Whatever, the Bills D cost us this game, the O was ready to go. The refs and the tuck rule really ****ed us in this game, pardon my french.

"tuck rule" is French?
:laughing:

ublinkwescore
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Two or three obvious holding calls on the Bengals offense that were also missed or ignored

I know. there were a lot missed that favored the bengals. But we were still taking it to them despite the non calls on what should have been penalties against the bengals. that didn't bother me because through all that, we were still the better team and we were showing it, I can't ever complain about that. they needed a ref to bail them out and he did.

I seriously think that the ref needs to be fired. any ref who makes a call that bad needs to be fired, and investigated very thoroughly.

Syderick
10-04-2011, 02:20 PM
That was BS call. It did factor into the loss, as the O was driving good to score and at least would of gotten a FG. One play can change a game!

ublinkwescore
10-04-2011, 03:03 PM
i will be posting this to my facebook.

bf1
10-04-2011, 03:55 PM
The very first image is all you need. But a few frames before would help.

Ball in control. Knee down. Defender touching. End of play right there.

DraftBoy
10-04-2011, 04:01 PM
The very first image is all you need. But a few frames before would help.

Ball in control. Knee down. Defender touching. End of play right there.

Incorrect, the rule states the WR must maintain posession through contact with the ground if he falls while in the act of making a catch. Simply having possession with your knee down is not good enough.

bf1
10-04-2011, 04:06 PM
ok. I'll take your word for it. Not debating that, but what constitutes when the ground comes into play? Like I said if you look at a few frames before, he had possession already. What difference is it then if a ground causes a fumble (established possession) and this? It looked to me like he had the ball in control well before the ground came into play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUOfpmWFqkE

bf1
10-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Does he need a step? Two steps? A "football motion" whatever the hell that means (seems they stopped using that term, which was abused a few years ago).

Beebe
10-04-2011, 08:53 PM
CATCH

Beebe
10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
CATCH AGAIN,CATCH.

paladin warrior
10-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Why wait for? Buffalo Bills should have go after NFL Roger Goodell and Sue at Ref and Fire him or Ref get Big fine.

Buddo
10-05-2011, 04:02 AM
DB - regarding your comment about the Bills not saying anything to the League being interesting, I doubt we would know in a hurry if they did, or not. I doubt they would actually say if they had done anything, it isn't the way they go about business.

Something I would be interested in knowing, is if there is some sort of 'marking' system in place for the teams to grade the officials, or is it all self policed by the NFL?

DraftBoy
10-05-2011, 07:08 AM
DB - regarding your comment about the Bills not saying anything to the League being interesting, I doubt we would know in a hurry if they did, or not. I doubt they would actually say if they had done anything, it isn't the way they go about business.

Something I would be interested in knowing, is if there is some sort of 'marking' system in place for the teams to grade the officials, or is it all self policed by the NFL?

Well to answer your first question when a team sends tape in to the league to be reviewed it is almost always reported. So while I may have jumped to a conclusion in that regard its still surprising to me. Its also not uncommon for the league to issue a ruling about controversial calls.

To your 2nd point, I know the league has a some kind of a system to grade officials out. I dont believe the teams have much say due to obvious biases that could exist and harm the competitive balance.

Buddo
10-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Well to answer your first question when a team sends tape in to the league to be reviewed it is almost always reported. So while I may have jumped to a conclusion in that regard its still surprising to me. Its also not uncommon for the league to issue a ruling about controversial calls.

To your 2nd point, I know the league has a some kind of a system to grade officials out. I dont believe the teams have much say due to obvious biases that could exist and harm the competitive balance.

I've seen next to nothing from the 'major' media outlets in regards to the 'catch', so I'm not at all surprised to still be hearing 'nothing', even if the Bills did send in tape to be reviewed.

TBH, as it was an 'away' game, I don't suppose the Bills have anything other than the regular TV replays to go on, unless the Bungles will provide them with anything, which I can't seem to believe will be the case.

While it might be a controversial call, I'm not sure the NFL will need to 'rule' on it, as it's pretty straightforward - one zebra calls it incomplete, and there's not quite enough angles on video, to prove he's a lying, cheating s.o.b. ;)

zone
10-05-2011, 07:58 AM
It was covered on the game reviews on ESPN, that and the Dalton phantom first down dive.

psubills62
10-05-2011, 08:32 AM
So out of curiosity, have the Cardinals sent in tape of the Giants fumble to the league yet?