PDA

View Full Version : Danny Watkins to start at OG

psubills62
10-05-2011, 08:21 AM
The Eagles will start Danny Watkins over Kyle DeVan at right guard Sunday, a source tells the Wilmington News Journal.

DeVan was abused in the Week 4 loss to the Niners, so Watkins gets his job back. The ceiling with Watkins is certainly higher, but the No. 23 overall pick faceplanted badly in the preseason and hasn't even been active for a real game yet. He'll join left tackle King Dunlap, who is replacing Jason Peters (hamstring), as a new face on the offensive line this week. The Eagles' pass protection is unlikely to improve anytime soon.
quote from www.rotoworld.com

Watkins started earlier in the season and I watched a little bit of his play - wasn't very good. I think the interior is where we have a huge advantage in this game if Dareus and Williams can step up and play up to their talent level.

I'm torn on whether or not we'll actually get a lot of pressure. While it would be nice to see our DL destroy this makeshift OL, I have a feeling our defense will be putting a premium on containing Vick in the pocket. I don't know if our guys will really put the heat on in the pass rush, as much as I'd like them to. After all, if we can't contain Andy Dalton, then Vick will have a field day against us.

ChristopherWalken
10-05-2011, 08:30 AM
This Bills defense hasn't applied any blitzing scheme all season long. And I think you're right, containing Vick will remain a priority, therefore I don't see any more pressure being applied this week than the previous 4.

Bangarang
10-05-2011, 08:42 AM
If we didn't blitz a rookie QB like Dalton then we're sure as he'll not going to blitz Vick. Despite how many times he's been hit this season and how bad that offensive line is struggling so far. Quite sad that our defensive coordinators, Wanny included, have no creativity.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-05-2011, 09:33 AM
I'd have less of a problem of not blitzing often if we actually ran a 4-3.

acehole
10-05-2011, 09:34 AM
We will call this lack of blitzing a "Deadzone?" it would ba a "Blast from the past" if we could have the blitzing capabilites we use to have. Need to be like "dear Hunters" back there...

Fun fact:Chis Walken was George Lucas' second choice for the role of Han Solo in Star Wars (1977).

Lives in Wilton CT.

This Bills defense hasn't applied any blitzing scheme all season long. And I think you're right, containing Vick will remain a priority, therefore I don't see any more pressure being applied this week than the previous 4.

Ed
10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I didn't realize the Eagles have a rookie at Center also. This seems like a good week for our D to finally start being more disruptive and get some pressure. KW and Dareus really need to step up this week and take advantage. I hope the Ralph is louder then ever too.

ChristopherWalken
10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
We will call this lack of blitzing a "Deadzone?" it would ba a "Blast from the past" if we could have the blitzing capabilites we use to have. Need to be like "dear Hunters" back there...

Fun fact:Chis Walken was George Lucas' second choice for the role of Han Solo in Star Wars (1977).

Lives in Wilton CT.

Need more cowbell out of the defense.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-05-2011, 11:16 AM
I worry about our OLBs, specifcally Kelsey and Merriman. Both tend to blow their load on diving at QBs when getting close.

Against Vick, when you miss him by doing that, he'll hurt you badly. And we know who's the better athlete 1 on 1 against Vick.

They need to look at the Giants/Eagles game film. Always square your body against him. Of course it is easier said than done.

ChristopherWalken
10-05-2011, 11:44 AM
I worry about our OLBs, specifcally Kelsey and Merriman. Both tend to blow their load on diving at QBs when getting close.

Against Vick, when you miss him by doing that, he'll hurt you badly. And we know who's the better athlete 1 on 1 against Vick.

They need to look at the Giants/Eagles game film. Always square your body against him. Of course it is easier said than done.

Kelsey does only one thing well, and even that is suspect: holds the edge and forces plays inside. Merriman seems to be just spending time remolding himself and maintaining basic form. I would really like to see Moats moved back outside.

acehole
10-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Kelsey does only one thing well, and even that is suspect: holds the edge and forces plays inside. Merriman seems to be just spending time remolding himself and maintaining basic form. I would really like to see Moats moved back outside.

What with Kelsay then? Inside?

ChristopherWalken
10-05-2011, 01:11 PM
What with Kelsay then? Inside?

I think either Merriman or Kelsay need to ride pine a bit more.

acehole
10-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Need more cowbell out of the defense.

I love this!

Mad Max
10-05-2011, 01:28 PM

They had him practicing at OLB so that could be coming.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-05-2011, 01:52 PM
The big change will come at bye week. I just hope that they can split the next two games to position themselves for some kind of contention after the bye.

Something needs to be done on defense and the team has more talent on defense than offense so they should be able to improve in that area. If I'm going to guess, I think Moats getting more play at Merriman's spot is a possibility. Sheppard is another at Davis' spot. More zone blitz package is, however, by far the most likely candidate.

acehole
10-05-2011, 02:00 PM
I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE LACK OF blitzing.

All I can think of is there are alot of new guys at new areas and we are just being carful moving these guys along.

It would seem to be blitzing one or twice and later showing blitz but staying in a base defense would-do wonders to keep the offense and qb at least guessing a bit?

Don't understand.

The big change will come at bye week. I just hope that they can split the next two games to position themselves for some kind of contention after the bye.

Something needs to be done on defense and the team has more talent on defense than offense so they should be able to improve in that area. If I'm going to guess, I think Moats getting more play at Merriman's spot is a possibility. Sheppard is another at Davis' spot. More zone blitz package is, however, by far the most likely candidate.

Mr. Pink
10-05-2011, 02:13 PM
I think the lack of blitzing has something to do with our weak secondary. We still attempt to play a contain style on the back end because none of our corners have any semblance of man cover skills.

So we're hoping to not get exposed quickly in the back end and that the front 3 or 4, depending on what look we employ, can get to the QB.

Problem is that ain't working so QBs have all day to throw the ball. Any NFL WR will get open if they're given 5 seconds to run around, even if Revis is covering them.

Basically, it's a catch 22 IMO

Mad Max
10-05-2011, 03:39 PM
I think the lack of blitzing has something to do with our weak secondary. We still attempt to play a contain style on the back end because none of our corners have any semblance of man cover skills.

So we're hoping to not get exposed quickly in the back end and that the front 3 or 4, depending on what look we employ, can get to the QB.

Problem is that ain't working so QBs have all day to throw the ball. Any NFL WR will get open if they're given 5 seconds to run around, even if Revis is covering them.

Basically, it's a catch 22 IMO

Totally off topic.

What do you think about Boardwalk Empire? I'm not sure how they turned a career "character actor" in Buscemi (his character being the shady weasel) into a leading man and having it come out as well as it has.

Das_Bills
10-05-2011, 07:02 PM
They had him practicing at OLB so that could be coming.

Chan also said he wants to put moats on the outside more. DONAT CROSS THE MOATS!!!!

Skooby
10-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Who ??