PDA

View Full Version : Sabres name team captain

Electrici
10-06-2011, 11:17 AM
http://wgr550.com/Sabres-Name-Pominville-Captain/11117215

Wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'm ok with the choice.

OpIv37
10-06-2011, 11:21 AM
every time I think this team is finally starting to get it, something like this happens.

Electrici
10-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Let's just say I'm ok with this because I would have had a pulmonary embolism had Roy been chosen.

SabreEleven
10-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I wonder if this was done by team vote.

DraftBoy
10-06-2011, 11:27 AM
every time I think this team is finally starting to get it, something like this happens.

What's wrong with him getting the "C"?

Notice I didnt say what wrong with his play or performance.

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
10-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Not going to say I told you so...but I told you so!

chalk one up to MEEEEEEEEEEE! :dance:

Pominville made a name for himself in 07/08 season when He scored at nearly a point-per-game with 80 points in 82 games. the Sabres utilized a rotating captaincy during the 07/08 season; Pominville was named captain for the months of March and April.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I have no problem with him being named captain.

OpIv37
10-06-2011, 12:10 PM
What's wrong with him getting the "C"?

Notice I didnt say what wrong with his play or performance.

because I think a lot of his play/performance problems are mental, and that's not the kind of guy who should wear the C. If he can't keep his own head in the game, he sure isn't going to be able to keep his teammates' heads in the game.

The only mitigating factor is that no one else on this team stands out as a better leader. Roy is a lot like Pominville, Vanek is the Scottie Pippen type rather than the Michael Jordan type, Hecht- meh. The only one that really stands out to me as having leadership is Gaustad, but he just doesn't have the talent level to lead by performance on the ice as well as in the locker room.

THATHURMANATOR
10-06-2011, 12:57 PM
because I think a lot of his play/performance problems are mental, and that's not the kind of guy who should wear the C. If he can't keep his own head in the game, he sure isn't going to be able to keep his teammates' heads in the game.

The only mitigating factor is that no one else on this team stands out as a better leader. Roy is a lot like Pominville, Vanek is the Scottie Pippen type rather than the Michael Jordan type, Hecht- meh. The only one that really stands out to me as having leadership is Gaustad, but he just doesn't have the talent level to lead by performance on the ice as well as in the locker room.
Don't agree with this at all.

Honestly the fact that Pommer has made it in the NHL is a story in itself.

When he was in Rochester he was labled too small and slow.

He does have good shot but was able to carve out a nice career.

I didn't see him becoming captain but I have no issue with it at all.

trapezeus
10-06-2011, 01:08 PM
i was hoping pominville would be on his way out. i hate his outside shot when he steps into the zone. he doesn't do nearly enough to be a leader on the ice.

VAnek would have made more sense to me. he grits through stuff, stands in front of the net, logs the minutes, has been through the lindy dog house and back and is becoming a really dependable player. getting the C might have really pushed him to that next level.

SabreEleven
10-06-2011, 01:25 PM

So is the season over because of this?

OpIv37
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
So is the season over because of this?

I didn't say anything like that.

This isn't a good omen though. The lack of leadership is showing already, and the puck hasn't even dropped yet.

SabreEleven
10-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I didn't say anything like that.

This isn't a good omen though. The lack of leadership is showing already, and the puck hasn't even dropped yet.

But that is the way I took it. They must have had some reason for doing this. I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now.

Philagape
10-06-2011, 01:59 PM

Please explain how your knowledge of Pominville's mentality exceeds that of his coach or his teammates.

Regardless of the answer, I'll say as I have before that even though fans can second-guess coaches, GMs and players on many things, one issue which they cannot is the choice of a captain. Because it is impossible for fans to be privy to several of the factors that go into it, like locker-room leadership, interpersonal relationships, and what players and coaches want in a captain, which is entirely subjective and up to them alone.

Philagape
10-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Simply put, it's none of our business who the captain is or why.

Skooby
10-06-2011, 02:35 PM
The population of Pomm.... went up whatever the Captain said.

OpIv37
10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
But that is the way I took it. They must have had some reason for doing this. I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now.

You'll give them the benefit of the doubt? Why?

The last guy they picked as captain watched from the press box before being traded mid-season, and before that they played musical captains.

This team hasn't had a solid captain situation since Drury and Briere were on the team. They haven't earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to captains.

SabreEleven
10-06-2011, 03:19 PM
You'll give them the benefit of the doubt? Why?

The last guy they picked as captain watched from the press box before being traded mid-season, and before that they played musical captains.

This team hasn't had a solid captain situation since Drury and Briere were on the team. They haven't earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to captains.

it's the Pegula Era. it's a whole new ball game in my book.

OpIv37
10-06-2011, 03:21 PM
it's the Pegula Era. it's a whole new ball game in my book.

Pegula doesn't pick the Captain.

rbochan
10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/rbochan/facepom.jpg

Michael82
10-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Interesting choice. I'm also surprised that none of the new vets are the assistants.

jamze132
10-06-2011, 11:41 PM
This doesn't bother me at all. There are no "stars" outside of Miller and he can't be friggin CPT anyways.

SabreEleven
10-07-2011, 05:32 AM

But it's a new attitude. They actually have some expectations this year. I don't think they'll win the Cup this year but they'll give us some good playoff hockey.

CuseJetsFan83
10-07-2011, 05:36 AM
But it's a new attitude. They actually have some expectations this year. I don't think they'll win the Cup this year but they'll give us some good playoff hockey.

i'd hate to be a pissant and say its CUP or bust... but that is the mentality the team needs..... will the first 2 games show that... i doubt it, but with the changes that have happened since february, i feel very energized about the team that i haven't felt since the ECF's in the mid 2000's and the NO-goal season back in 99.

i'd love to see the team make a run, lord knows western NY needs it

hydro
10-07-2011, 06:36 AM

WGR is reporting he was in on the decision. Just shows how much fans know...

OpIv37
10-07-2011, 06:38 AM
This doesn't bother me at all. There are no "stars" outside of Miller and he can't be friggin CPT anyways.

Stop and think about that for a second.

It doesn't bother you that there are no "stars" or obvious leaders on the team? Hmm...

jamze132
10-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Stop and think about that for a second.

It doesn't bother you that there are no "stars" or obvious leaders on the team? Hmm...
I'm just used to it.

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
10-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Interesting choice. I'm also surprised that none of the new vets are the assistants.

this is why Lindy chose Goose, Roy Staff and Van and not the new players.

at the team dinner last night

"This whole group from Gaus to Van to Roysie to Staff you guys have grown up together." Lindy Ruff

http://www.amerks.com/img/topstoryLG/20111006-SabresCaptainsTopStory.jpg

SabreEleven
10-07-2011, 07:17 PM
this is why Lindy chose Goose, Roy Staff and Van and not the new players.

at the team dinner last night

http://www.amerks.com/img/topstoryLG/20111006-SabresCaptainsTopStory.jpg

thanks for telling me something I never knew

OpIv37
10-08-2011, 09:53 AM
as much as I don't like the pick, I have to admit that Pominville showed leadership in the first game. He came back and scored almost immediately after the Ducks goal. That showed both talent and leadership.