Does the passing of Al Davis change the LA situation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Does the passing of Al Davis change the LA situation ?

First of all, RIP big AL. But on to my question, does Al's passing change the LA situation ?? It seems logical that Oakland has a successionary plan & that would most likely include a potential acquistion by another state based team. I would think the LA Raiders would be fairly logical name, everything being even.
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Does the passing of Al Davis change the LA situation ?

Good question. The Raiders are obviously going to be up for sale.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by better days
      Good question. The Raiders are obviously going to be up for sale.
      Al Davis' son Mark will take over as the new Owner of the Raiders from what I've heard. Whether that changes the Raiders continuing to play in Oakland is unknown, but I'm guessing they are going to stay put. JMO

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
        Al Davis' son Mark will take over as the new Owner of the Raiders from what I've heard. Whether that changes the Raiders continuing to play in Oakland is unknown, but I'm guessing they are going to stay put. JMO
        If he can afford to keep the team after paying taxes, it will change the situation. Maybe.

The problem LA has is the proposed builder of the stadium wants to buy at least a piece of the team. That is the only way they can make enough money to justify building the stadium.

The Raiders will not stay where they are playing now because that Stadium is a dump. They will either share a Stadium with the 49ers or move to LA.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by better days
          If he can afford to keep the team after paying taxes, it will change the situation. Maybe.

The problem LA has is the proposed builder of the stadium wants to buy at least a piece of the team. That is the only way they can make enough money to justify building the stadium.

The Raiders will not stay where they are playing now because that Stadium is a dump. They will either share a Stadium with the 49ers or move to LA.
          This is how I understood it as well. Between the taxes & the stadium issue, this seems like a good match. I looked it up & the LA Raiders left in 1995, so it hasn't been that far removed.

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
            maybe Mark will have a battle for control ..

Legally, the club is a limited partnership with nine partners — Davis and the heirs of the original eight team partners. Since 1972, however Davis has exercised near-complete control as president of the team's general partner, A.D. Football, Inc. Although exact ownership stakes are not known, it has been reported that Davis currently owns 47% of the team shares.

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• MidnightVoice
              Retired (mostly)
              • Mar 2003

ESPN has an article, suggesting the family will keep it.

The shock of losing Al Davis is just settling in. Saturday will be about tributes and remembrances of a true one-of-a-kind sports icon who died Saturday morning at 82 years old.

But to play
              that’s the thing
              shut up and deal
              ~ Jesse May

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

I think this is a possibility but unlikely.

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

The only thing I think might change is Oakland's recent tendency to draft whatever player has the best 40 time at a given position.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • May 2009

Oakland Colosseum is a **** hole. I will venture to say the passing of Al Davis will almost guarantee the Raiders move to LA. The people involved in LA didn't want anything to do with crazy old Al but I'm sure that their feelings about the Raiders have changed now.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

If I had to guess- The team moves to LA and the developer gets a chunk of the team but Mark Davis stays in control

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                        If I had to guess- The team moves to LA and the developer gets a chunk of the team but Mark Davis stays in control
                        This makes 100% sense after reading a few more things into it, great call dog.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

I don't know Mark Davis from a hole in the wall- but if he gave 20-25% to the developer and picked up a few shares from one of the minority owners- even having 30-33% of the team the Value in LA will far exceed 50% of owning the "Oakland" Raiders.

Or the kid could be a football dunce and decide the smart move would be to cash out

Comment

Working...
                          X