PDA

View Full Version : Hairston played great

BillsWin
10-09-2011, 03:34 PM
It was an impressive showing for the rookie. How the hell is our offensive line playing this well?

imbondz
10-09-2011, 03:35 PM
cuz Fitz gets rid of the ball in 2.1 seconds

X-Era
10-09-2011, 03:37 PM
It was an impressive showing for the rookie. How the hell is our offensive line playing this well?
As I said, the staff will be finding a way to get him on the field once Bell gets back.

He played very well I agree.

methos4ever
10-09-2011, 03:38 PM
They're good on the whole and not just a collection of parts. We're seeing a system actually get established and succeed IMO.

In fact, the Fitz sack was coverage and he still had time to throw, so I'm happy overall with the line. I would have liked the holding calls to not happen when they did, but it all worked out.

psubills62
10-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Interestingly, Philly seemed to send most of the pressure up the middle, not at Hairston. He did hold his own pretty well, but I'd still much prefer seeing Bell out there and Hairston on the bench.

BillsWin
10-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Another awesome rookie performance was from Sheppard. Kid has a bright future.

Bangarang
10-09-2011, 03:42 PM
We might not have drafted him if it wasn't for that extra 4th round pick. I'm hoping we can do the same with the pick we got from the Ravens.

psubills62
10-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I only noticed him on a couple plays, but was surprised he was playing meaningful minutes anyway. He had two good plays too.

methos4ever
10-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I only noticed him on a couple plays, but was surprised he was playing meaningful minutes anyway. He had two good plays too.
Until the 53 yard Vick run, he'd done a GREAT job of playing QB Spy - he slipped on that and off he went.

Buddo
10-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I thought Hairston did ok, but not brilliantly. I saw him get beat cleanly a couple of times, but the ball was gone before the DE could get near Fitz.

Promising start, but I'm not getting carried away by it.
I suppose for a 4th round rookie, it was impressive, but there's a long way to go for him yet imho.
I will give him some credit though, they weren't looking to help him out a lot.

Scumbag College
10-09-2011, 03:47 PM

He's a tackling machine. I don't think he's going to make to many big sacks or INTs, but he is going to be a steady performer for the Bills.

Hairston played well. It's tough for a rookie fourth round pick to come in and start and be productive. Hopefully he keeps on improving and OT isn't the constant need that it has been every offseason.

DraftBoy
10-09-2011, 03:51 PM
His pass pro was average to below average as Tapp beat him more than few times but his run blocking was superb.

Basically exactly what we saw in college, ideal RT in the NFL.

Mad Max
10-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I thought Hairston did ok, but not brilliantly. I saw him get beat cleanly a couple of times, but the ball was gone before the DE could get near Fitz.

Promising start, but I'm not getting carried away by it.
I suppose for a 4th round rookie, it was impressive, but there's a long way to go for him yet imho.
I will give him some credit though, they weren't looking to help him out a lot.

I agree with this. He got beat (Bell style) a couple of times. Not bad for a first start, not bad at all, but it was just an ok performance, not great.

Fitz truly is the key to the success of this line as currently constituted. If he tried to bake cakes in there like Brady does, he'd get murdalized.

X-Era
10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
I taped the game so I will go back and watch. I thought both his pass protection and run blocking were good. He kick slided well. I didn't see him get beat around the egde which would be my big worry. There was one play where Fitz held the ball way too long but the hit actually was not from Hairston's guy.

It wasn't fantastic but he did well IMO.

YardRat
10-09-2011, 03:56 PM
If Bell sees the field again as a starting LT it will be a damn shame.

Hairston is just as good, if not better, than D.Bell already.

Mad Max
10-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I taped the game so I will go back and watch. I thought both his pass protection and run blocking were good. He kick slided well. I didn't see him get beat around the egde which would be my big worry. There was one play where Fitz held the ball way too long but the hit actually was not from Hairston's guy.

It wasn't fantastic but he did well IMO.

I did.

X-Era
10-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I did.
Name the play and I will go back and watch.

Mad Max
10-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Name the play and I will go back and watch.

lol name the play?

I don't take notes during the game.

I saw at least one though. Maybe someone else can remember the exact play.

tampabay25690
10-09-2011, 04:04 PM
He played very well.
But overall the OL played very well as well.

X-Era
10-09-2011, 04:32 PM
lol name the play?

I don't take notes during the game.

I saw at least one though. Maybe someone else can remember the exact play.
I meant if you could remember time of the game or whatever.

Mad Bomber
10-09-2011, 04:32 PM
I agree. He's huge....wearing #75 he kind of reminded me of House Ballard today.

John Doe
10-09-2011, 06:10 PM
His pass pro was average to below average as Tapp beat him more than few times but his run blocking was superb.

Do you think that there is any possiblity that he could improve his pass protection?

Philagape
10-09-2011, 06:15 PM
cuz Fitz gets rid of the ball in 2.1 seconds

Yup, I'd say the best O-lineman is Fitz. Not a knock on the line, but can't really say how good they are because Fitz gets rid of it so fast. The one sack he took was so strange because you never see Fitz just sit back there for that long.

YardRat
10-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Do you think that there is any possiblity that he could improve his pass protection?

His pass protection wasn't that bad...he'll get better the more he plays.

Lone Stranger
10-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm starting to believe the new regime knows how to draft.

baalworship
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Bell is slightly better now. Hairston is slightly worse. I would keep Hairston in if I was in charge as he will be better than Bell soon.

DraftBoy
10-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Could he? Absolutely.

However his ability to handle the speed rush is not something Id expect to improve much. He's just not the caliber athlete you traditionally see on the left side. His kick step is decent but not elite, his ability to slide is below average, and he's slow out of his stance. Of those three things the last will become the most improved with reps, the other two would be extremely difficult for us to see great improvement in.

TigerJ
10-09-2011, 10:01 PM
I know 40 time is not a great way to evaluate offensive linemen, but among offensive linemen Hairston didn't have a great 40 time. I think his slow feet are at least somewhat related to that slow 40. I think with more experience he'll be a better left tackle than he is, but I agree with Draftboy, he's probably more naturally suited to right tackle. I think he could play right tackle at a very high level with a little seasoning.

JCBills
10-10-2011, 12:29 AM

Has it all for the position. Perfect size, and the perfect blend of skills to be more than effective. If he can continue to improve along with Urbik, we may have a good young offensive line across the board.

Oaf
10-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Shepp was mainly responsible for letting Vick go on the 55-yd run, just saying. Good look at him though. Was he there out of injury or what over Davis?

methos4ever
10-10-2011, 05:31 AM
Has it all for the position. Perfect size, and the perfect blend of skills to be more than effective. If he can continue to improve along with Urbik, we may have a good young offensive line across the board.
When looking at him, I see a lot of the traits that led them to draft McNeil. Mauler, a tad slow on the edge, but his size can at times account for that as long as he's technique sound. I say like Rinehart, when Bell gets back he's good depth (and good in the goal-line sets where they bring him in) and hopefully gets a job somewhere on the line next year.

we are
10-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Again bell gets no respect and I have no idea why???

The guy has done very well this year and I thought he was solid last year too.

ddaryl
10-10-2011, 11:42 AM

that is not true... Bell is definitely more solid.. Hairston should get better and be better then Bell in time if he continues to develop... The fact he is a rookie and played well enough at LT is a damn good sign though

mysticsoto
10-10-2011, 12:16 PM
that is not true... Bell is definitely more solid.. Hairston should get better and be better then Bell in time if he continues to develop... The fact he is a rookie and played well enough at LT is a damn good sign though

Bell is more athletic, I believe is the correct comparison to use. It's fairly obvious comparing their plays and Chan has admitted as much.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised that Hairston handled himself well at LT - even if games are gameplanned to help him and all the other offensive linemen.

We still need to draft Olinemen next yr, but from the looks of it OLB and CB might be higher in priority...

better days
10-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Bell is more athletic, I believe is the correct comparison to use. It's fairly obvious comparing their plays and Chan has admitted as much.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised that Hairston handled himself well at LT - even if games are gameplanned to help him and all the other offensive linemen.

We still need to draft Olinemen next yr, but from the looks of it OLB and CB might be higher in priority...

If a premier OT is available, I could see the Bills use a 1st rnd pick on him. Otherwise I expect the draft to be heavy on defense again next year.

X-Era
10-10-2011, 12:41 PM
I hope no one is shocked if we don't draft an OT or even OL.

They like their OL better than we do; remember those were Nix's words.

The line has given up 3 sacks in 5 games. They could easily try to make an argument that it's not a need. Bell is a UFA. That will be the key. If he stays I think we may ignore OT. I still could see a swing tackle or C/G type though with a later round pick.

psubills62
10-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I hope no one is shocked if we don't draft an OT or even OL.

They like their OL better than we do; remember those were Nix's words.

The line has given up 3 sacks in 5 games. They could easily try to make an argument that it's not a need. Bell is a UFA. That will be the key. If he stays I think we may ignore OT. I still could see a swing tackle or C/G type though with a later round pick.
Depending on what they do in free agency, I think they'll draft an OL, but it will be late in the draft.

X-Era
10-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Gailey tossed out Hairston's name as a guy who did things right to get this win.

Goobylal
10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I'd say a stud pass rusher is probably at the top of the draft list next year, and then maybe another OL.

X-Era
10-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd say a stud pass rusher is probably at the top of the draft list next year, and then maybe another OL.
I'm going CB and the darkhorse is WR.

Pass rusher is certainly up there though. Just not a lot in round 1 at this point for a 3-4 OLB.

YardRat
10-10-2011, 07:45 PM
You guys that have Hairston pegged as only being good enough to play RT might as well just toss in the towel and cut your losses. The kid is going be a left tackle, and he's going to be a good one.

X-Era
10-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Gailey further commented:

“He did a pretty good job,” said Gailey. ”We helped him a little bit with some backs chipping in over there a little bit. He really did a good job for the first time out. I expect him to make a pretty good jump this week. I hope he will.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/10/10/hairston-to-make-2nd-start-sun/

I realize that he will publicly support his players but this is an interesting player to track as are all the rookies.

JoeMama
10-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Welcome to the bigs, Chris Hairston. And kudos on your first ever start. It was a monumental success.

This week you get to meet a guy named Jason Pierre-Paul and/or Osi Umenyiora.

Good thing Fitz gets rid of the ball so fast. I won't be surprised if Gailey calls a high percentage of quick slant routes Sunday.

Goobylal
10-11-2011, 07:08 AM
I agree that the kid could be a Pro Bowler at RT. But I'm curious to see how he fares at LT over an extended period. Bell might want huge dollars after the season (he's an UFA) and I don't know if he merits them.

DraftBoy
10-11-2011, 07:09 AM
No reason for anybody to change their stance after one game, nobody is going to say he had a poor game. He did very well for a rookie. I hope we get to see more of him and I hope we also get to see this coaching staff have enough faith in him to open up our passing game to what it was before he was inserted into the lineup.

mysticsoto
10-11-2011, 07:40 AM
I agree that the kid could be a Pro Bowler at RT. But I'm curious to see how he fares at LT over an extended period. Bell might want huge dollars after the season (he's an UFA) and I don't know if he merits them.

Agreed. Let's not annoint him Bell's replacement yet. He did well, but his skillset is more geared toward RT and now needs to show consistency in his play. Let's see how he fares against NY's tough Dline...

X-Era
10-11-2011, 06:14 PM
No reason for anybody to change their stance after one game, nobody is going to say he had a poor game. He did very well for a rookie. I hope we get to see more of him and I hope we also get to see this coaching staff have enough faith in him to open up our passing game to what it was before he was inserted into the lineup.
Totally agree. Not enough reason to anoint the guy anything than a rookie with one start under his belt.

Beebe
10-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Good start for him I think, he played very well, nice start very nice.

Beebe
10-11-2011, 08:33 PM
GO BILLS

acehole
10-12-2011, 07:21 AM
I do think it allows you to put Bell at RT though.

Best 5 on field.

Agreed. Let's not annoint him Bell's replacement yet. He did well, but his skillset is more geared toward RT and now needs to show consistency in his play. Let's see how he fares against NY's tough Dline...

mysticsoto
10-12-2011, 08:51 AM
I do think it allows you to put Bell at RT though.

Best 5 on field.

That would be a mistake. When Bell is healthy, he does pretty well at LT. Hairston did well in 1 game at LT. Bell is still more polished, more experiened and more importantly, more athletic. Bell, if healthy, will return to the LT position and rightfully so.