PDA

View Full Version : Whats your opinion of this D?

justasportsfan
10-09-2011, 10:55 PM
IMO, this D is doing very well in bending but not breaking except for the Bengals game but even then, the O didn't do their part in that game.

Nobody can really stop Vick but this D has given the ball back to Fitz and allowed him to put points on the board via turn overs.

Its weird that we're at the bottom of the league defensively with the raiders, Pats, Packers.

Despite what the stats says in terms of where we're ranked , I'll take this D over past D's if you take into consideration that teams we've played, Pats no.1 , eagles no.3(n0.1 rushing) and Raiders no.9 (no. 2 rushing).

clumping platelets
10-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Game lost if we didn't get a couple of bounces. This defense needs more overall speed especially at LB. 4-1 with trading deadline coming up.......go find some help!!!!

BertSquirtgum
10-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Are you kidding me? This defense is awful. They were up by 24 points and the Eagles came back with ease within one quarter. The Eagles would have tied the game if it wasn't for another lucky bounce. I don't think George Edwards understands what adjustments are. He sure as hell can't make them on the fly when he needs to. This was another ****ty second half performance by the defense.

kingJofNYC
10-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Actually thought they played pretty well in the 1st half, but we gave up too many big plays in the 2nd.

No depth at CB, Corner stinks and they picked on him repeatedly. Need a legit edge rusher as well, then again who doesn't.

cocamide
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
We'll be in trouble towards the end of the season.

BertSquirtgum
10-09-2011, 11:08 PM
If you look at the game day thread, I was praising Edwards for his 1st half game calling but again, the second half came and it looked like he blew his load in the first two quarters. He is not good enough to coach the entire defense for 60 minutes.

Crisis
10-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Not enough talent at corner and the front 7 is pretty inconsistent. I do like our safety play for the most part (can improve), but I don't think the front 7 has been playing up to their talent level... a lot of that is from youth, though.

I think the defense has been extremely lucky, 12 INTs is very impressive in 5 weeks but SO many of them are off lucky bounces that we won't get all year. We have ONE solid (healthy) corner (Florence) and a bunch of other guys who are lucky to be in the NFL.

Mad Max
10-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Not enough talent at corner and the front 7 is pretty inconsistent. I do like our safety play for the most part (can improve), but I don't think the front 7 has been playing up to their talent level... a lot of that is from youth, though.

I think the defense has been extremely lucky, 12 INTs is very impressive in 5 weeks but SO many of them are off lucky bounces that we won't get all year. We have ONE solid (healthy) corner (Florence) and a bunch of other guys who are lucky to be in the NFL.

Correct.

I could understand people banking on turnovers if they were being caused by us laying wood to our opposition separating them from the ball, or stellar CB play snatching interceptions out of the jaws of completions. That's not how these TO's happened though.

Novacane
10-09-2011, 11:37 PM
This defense is terrible! Usually when you win the TO battle 5 to 1 it's a blowout. There are going to be games when they don't get the turnovers. We'll be in big trouble when that happens.

justasportsfan
10-09-2011, 11:58 PM
If you look at the game day thread, I was praising Edwards for his 1st half game calling but again, the second half came and it looked like he blew his load in the first two quarters. He is not good enough to coach the entire defense for 60 minutes.
you can only do so much to contain Vick. In the end they came out huge. 4 picks for vick . Granted that the last one bounced off the receiver but in the past we wouldn't even make that play. we need improvement , no doubt but thid d is also making big plays. something we havent done in the past.

justasportsfan
10-10-2011, 12:01 AM

lucky bounces or we're just around to make those plays? Dont think that Byrd or Wilson are players that are just lucky to be in the nfl. They deserve it.

Crisis
10-10-2011, 12:20 AM
lucky bounces or we're just around to make those plays? Dont think that Byrd or Wilson are players that are just lucky to be in the nfl. They deserve it.

They're also not corners. ;)

jamze132
10-10-2011, 02:07 AM
This shouldn't even be a discussion. The Bills defense is absolutely atrocious right now and I'm not even sure if I can blame Edwards as much as I would like to. Our lack of talent on D is showing every Sunday as our people are getting manhandled at the line and CBs aren't paying attention to the receiver. It also helps if our DBs has better footwork as almost every offense that we play exploits that.

BillsOwnAll
10-10-2011, 02:31 AM
Leading the league in INTs isnt all a fluke.

Luck is created when good preperation meets good oppurtunity.( i know i cant spell.)

And this is EXACTLY what the Bills are doing. They are coming in prepared, and taking advantage of oppurtunities. Now as long as they do there homework and come to play every week theres no reason these turnovers wont keep happening.

SquishDaFish
10-10-2011, 03:13 AM
They are not that bad. IF you look at the stats only 7 teams give up less than 300 yards a game. We are down at bottom half of league with GB who is a damn good defense. This is the year of the offense so far. Dont know if its lockout causing offenses to be ahead of defenses or what.

We lead the NFL in INTs thats no fluke. We need to get more sacks but cant complain too much

B-DON
10-10-2011, 03:13 AM
I'll say it again, this D reminds me a lot of the saints D that won the superbowl 2 years ago. Not very good but very opportunistic.

ddaryl
10-10-2011, 06:12 AM
I'm not a big fan of giving up well over 400 yds a game

Dujek
10-10-2011, 06:21 AM
It really is a boom or bust defense.

Either they get a takeaway and set the offense up in great scoring position, or they allow big drives, and conversions on third and ridiculously long that most teams would stop.

Classic example was Reggie Corner's INT. The play before the Eagles should have been off the field, but the Bills allowed them to get close on third and a mile and convert on 4th down. Yet if they hadn't had the bust, they wouldn't have had the boom of the INT.

To be honest, they do my ****ing head in, because right at the point you've given up on them they create a huge turnover and completely change the game.

Historian
10-10-2011, 06:41 AM
The450 ypg scares me but they are very opportunistic. (Fun to watch too)

Perhaps its time to give Wanny a little more control.

DraftBoy
10-10-2011, 07:22 AM
When they blitz they force mistakes, but when they drop into zone coverage you might as well pack up and go home because they can't stop anybody that way.

tampabay25690
10-10-2011, 07:26 AM
I think we need CB help and fast.
Big problem is we are giving up way to many passing yards, but alot of defenses are right now.
We need to get more pressure to the QB like we did the 1st half vs Vick, when we got pressure to the QB are defense is playing good. No pressure are secondary is just sitting ducks back there......

GreedoII
10-10-2011, 07:29 AM
Defense in gernal is bad in the league. It's an offensive league now. The Packers are 5-0 and have a low ranked d that gives up yards. The top d in the league is the friggin Bengals??

better days
10-10-2011, 08:11 AM
I could care less how many yards this defense gives up. They are not giving up points, & in fact are putting points on the board themselves.

I said before the 1st game if this team is on the plus side of turnovers, they will win games. Well, Fitz has been limiting his ints, & the defense has been opportunistic.

People say lucky bounces, I say BS to that the Bills have CAUSED those bounces.

justasportsfan
10-10-2011, 08:21 AM
all I'm saying is that it's not as bad as people here make it out to be. they have come up big vs. teams that are ranked at the top of the league and have given Fitz the ball back to score points

Bangarang
10-10-2011, 08:45 AM
When they blitz they force mistakes, but when they drop into zone coverage you might as well pack up and go home because they can't stop anybody that way.

Watching our 2nd half play calling was so frustrating. I have no idea why we stopped going after Vick.

Jan Reimers
10-10-2011, 09:24 AM
The D has some young and inexperienced guys who - as they develop - will make us better.

Dareus seems to be holding his own, and yesterday Carrington, Sheppard and Moats made some plays. I think Troup might help if he ever gets healthy, and so should Aaron Williams and maybe Chris White. I have hopes for Batten as well, although he comitted an idiotic penalty yesterday.

I think we should see a lot more from these 1st and 2nd year guys later in the season.

Merriman might even start to contribute a little more, as he gets into game shape.

BertSquirtgum
10-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I could care less how many yards this defense gives up. They are not giving up points

really? really?

justasportsfan
10-10-2011, 09:37 AM
People say lucky bounces, I say BS to that the Bills have CAUSED those bounces.
exactly.

better days
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
really? really?

REALLY. I don't play fantasy football. All that matters is the FINAL SCORE.

acehole
10-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Giving up that many yards usually ends up in many losses.

In this case it tires out the opposing deffense.

Weird.

They seem to make a play when they need to.

They can stop the run they can stop the pass...but they invite you to do both.

Except in the redzone and tward that end of the field.

Seems like a rope a dope to me.

We need some more CB's but aside of that I can't put them in any catagory of usual deffenses.

As I said in other posts with lack of pure pass rusher I would like to see more trickery and blitzing...but aside of that if it aint broke dont fix it.

IMO, this D is doing very well in bending but not breaking except for the Bengals game but even then, the O didn't do their part in that game.

Nobody can really stop Vick but this D has given the ball back to Fitz and allowed him to put points on the board via turn overs.

Its weird that we're at the bottom of the league defensively with the raiders, Pats, Packers.

Despite what the stats says in terms of where we're ranked , I'll take this D over past D's if you take into consideration that teams we've played, Pats no.1 , eagles no.3(n0.1 rushing) and Raiders no.9 (no. 2 rushing).

better days
10-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Giving up that many yards usually ends up in many losses.

In this case it tires out the opposing deffense.

Weird.

They seem to make a play when they need to.

They can stop the run they can stop the pass...but they invite you to do both.

Except in the redzone and tward that end of the field.

Seems like a rope a dope to me.

We need some more CB's but aside of that I can't put them in any catagory of usual deffenses.

As I said in other posts with lack of pure pass rusher I would like to see more trickery and blitzing...but aside of that if it aint broke dont fix it.

More important than yards given up is the turnover ratio. The team on the plus side of that will usually win.

BertSquirtgum
10-10-2011, 11:08 AM
REALLY. I don't play fantasy football. All that matters is the FINAL SCORE.

You said they don't give up points but in fact, that statement was false. The eagles game back within one quarter. The patriots and raiders games were all over 30 points. They most certainly give up points. That's because the defense blows.

Ed
10-10-2011, 11:23 AM
The yards are concerning, but I think this defense is still improving. I think what hurt us the most yesterday was Reggie Corner getting targeted and abused consistently. He's just not good enough to be a 3rd corner. Getting McGee back (hopefully this week) will be a huge help. Also, Kyle Williams leaving with an injury was a blow too. Our D-line became less disruptive and it allowed the eagles to get comfortable on offense and start making plays.

I also think it's unfair to say that most of our turnovers are just luck. Luck is when a ball bounces off a receivers hands and lands in the D's hands. If you're getting pressure on the qb, tipping passes, and ripping balls out of peoples hands, that's still good defense.

We still have a lot of room for improvement, but how many teams in the league have great defenses right now?

justasportsfan
10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
You said they don't give up points but in fact, that statement was false. The eagles game back within one quarter. The patriots and raiders games were all over 30 points. They most certainly give up points. That's because the defense blows.
its all part of the Mastaplan. Make them think they're getting somewhere so the loss would be painful.

BertSquirtgum
10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Only if that were true. Then I wouldn't be worried about the looming schedule right after the bye.

better days
10-10-2011, 11:40 AM

They did not give up so many points as to lose the game. Even in the game they lost to the Bengals, the Defense put 7 on the board.

I blame the offense for not staying on the field long enough for that Bengals loss. Too many 3 & outs in that game.