PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of the Giants game

psubills62
10-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Those familiar with my posting know I like to use statistics in my points and arguments. I know they don't tell the whole story, but they do a good enough job, especially when you're trying to predict things. And I'll be honest, I haven't watched the Giants play this year yet. I'm just trying to provide a little analysis mostly based on statistics and from what I know of their personnel.

The Giants game is another one that I think could go either way. On paper, the Giants have more talent, but in reality they seem to be pretty comparable.

1. Giants run offense. As I mentioned in another thread, the Giants are averaging 3.2 YPC. That's pretty bad. Their starting center, David Baas, was hurt this week and may not play against us (I haven't heard any updates on him yet). Apparently their starting LG Chris Snee was concussed, and also may not play. This bodes well for our run D, which has been inconsistent. They were very good against the Eagles early in the game, but struggled late after gaining a lead. Same thing happened against the Bengals.

Ahmad Bradshaw is doing well (4.0 YPC), but not great. Brandon Jacobs was injured against the Seahawks, but from the little I know of his injury, has a decent chance of playing against us. DJ Ware was his backup, and he performed very poorly, rushing 4 times for 3 yards and getting dropped for a safety.

In the end, I think our interior matches up very well against the OL of the Giants in general, so we should be able to stop them running the ball overall. They'll probably break a big play or two against us anyway - who hasn't so far? However, in my opinion, our poor YPC on defense (5.5, worst in the NFL), is more a reflection of our inconsistency and big plays instead of consistently poor defense, like it was last year.

2. Giants pass offense. This is obviously where we should struggle again. I've been impressed with Drayton Florence's play, but we could certainly use Terrence McGee out there. I think Florence would match up well with Hakeem Nicks, while McGee could cover Manningham or Cruz.

Eli Manning tends to target his top two receivers. Lately those receivers have been Nicks and Cruz, with Manningham taking a bit of a backseat to the slot receiver. Bradshaw is also a very good receiving back, and I wouldn't be surprised to see several screen passes and dump offs to Bradshaw. We have to be able to cover those similar to how we bottled up Jamaal Charles on his receptions.

To me, Eli Manning is one of those guys where the numbers don't tell the whole story. In general, it looks like he's a fairly accurate guy, and he has the ability to throw nice passes. But he tends to act like Fitzpatrick - he'll throw good passes for a stretch, or his receivers will make decent plays, but at some point he'll start throwing some passes that make your head itch.

One name to remember is TE Jake Ballard. He and Travis Beckum have combined to replace Kevin Boss, and while Ballard isn't fast or anything, he did have 3 receptions for 72 yards and a score against Seattle. Have to watch out for that TE, though our D did a good job against Celek.

3. Giants run defense. We may end up having an advantage in this area, especially if Justin Tuck doesn't play. In my opinion, he's an underrated run defender and the Giants REALLY missed him against Seattle.

Overall, the Giants are defending the run decently well, allowing 4.2 YPC. That's generally around average (they're 17th in the NFL). However, if you look at the numbers, you'll see that they did very poorly on defense against Seattle, a team that has NOT ran the ball well at all this year.

Look at Marshawn Lynch's yards per carry for each week this season: 2.5, 1.8, 3.8, 3.0, 8.2. Yes that last number, 8.2, was against the Giants. The Giants have been without Tuck three games this season - Weeks 1, 4, and 5. Week 1, they contained Tim Hightower pretty well, but in Week 4 Beanie Wells ran all over them (27 carries, 138 yards), and in Week 5, Lynch destroyed them with 98 yards on 12 carries.

We can't make conclusions based off of 2 out of 3 games. But it appears the Giants may be susceptible to the run. When they played the Eagles, Lesean McCoy ran very well (24 carries for 128 yards). Their only other game was against the Rams, who ran very poorly, but were missing Steven Jackson - Cadillac Williams ran 13 times for 36 yards.

In general, it appears our run game should be able to do well, though I don't believe we can lean on it nearly as much as we did against Phildelphia.

4. Giants pass defense. This is a very dangerous team with an excellent pass rush. We may be in big trouble if we still have Hairston at LT, because the short passing game was not working nearly as much in the second half against the Eagles. The Giants may take that gameplan and make us try some deep passes, leaving us open to their pass rush.

Their defense has 18 sacks on the year, which is the most in the NFL. They're led by Jason Pierre-Paul (7 sacks) and Osi Umenyiora (3.5). Pierre-Paul has made a big difference at RDE and has ravaged poor OL's in Washington, Seattle, and Philadelphia. The Eagles didn't seem to test our tackles, and blitzed our interior a lot. Buffalo's OL held up well against that blitz, but the Giants will be bringing a ton of edge pressure.

The Giants have decent LB's, but their secondary is a bit questionable - not nearly as good (at least on paper) as Philadelphia's. This is a good game to start going deep if the Giants creep up like Philly did in the 2nd half.

In general, the Giants are allowing 7.6 YPA, comparable to Philadelphia's 7.8 YPA. However, the Giants have allowed only 5 TD passes, and managed to intercept 5 passes. Despite injuries to the secondary early in the season, they seem to have held up pretty well against the pass so far. That being said, they may still be vulnerable, as they haven't faced terribly prolific passers.

It seems to me that if there's a game to bring out the play-action pass, this would be it - though I say that every week now. Still unsure why Gailey doesn't use it more often.

Conclusion
I apologize for the long post, didn't mean to write that much. This is a toss-up game, where I have to go with Vegas and give a slight edge to the Giants at home. This is another game where we should use the run to set up the pass, but less predictability would be good. Our defense should get more stops than normal, but will still give up big plays (Nicks, Manningham and Cruz are all capable).

I have a feeling our run defense will come out of this game looking a little better, though still not that good. I can see a pick or two from Manning, but another 300-yard passer.

This should be a tight game, but may be lower scoring than people expect. Wouldn't be surprised to see the defenses step up on both of our teams this coming weekend.

My prediction: 24-21, Giants.

BillyT92679
10-10-2011, 01:32 PM
I like the Bills fairly easily in this game. The Giants are a mistake prone team that lacks an identity. They have talent but I don't think it's in droves. They beat the Eagles and the Rams and the Cardinals to get to 3 and 2 and looked poor against the Hawks yesterday.

I think the Bills if they attack early can really put it to NY. I like the Bills 31-21

acehole
10-10-2011, 04:13 PM
V Cruz will kill us in the slot.

Those familiar with my posting know I like to use statistics in my points and arguments. I know they don't tell the whole story, but they do a good enough job, especially when you're trying to predict things. And I'll be honest, I haven't watched the Giants play this year yet. I'm just trying to provide a little analysis mostly based on statistics and from what I know of their personnel.

The Giants game is another one that I think could go either way. On paper, the Giants have more talent, but in reality they seem to be pretty comparable.

1. Giants run offense. As I mentioned in another thread, the Giants are averaging 3.2 YPC. That's pretty bad. Their starting center, David Baas, was hurt this week and may not play against us (I haven't heard any updates on him yet). Apparently their starting LG Chris Snee was concussed, and also may not play. This bodes well for our run D, which has been inconsistent. They were very good against the Eagles early in the game, but struggled late after gaining a lead. Same thing happened against the Bengals.

Ahmad Bradshaw is doing well (4.0 YPC), but not great. Brandon Jacobs was injured against the Seahawks, but from the little I know of his injury, has a decent chance of playing against us. DJ Ware was his backup, and he performed very poorly, rushing 4 times for 3 yards and getting dropped for a safety.

In the end, I think our interior matches up very well against the OL of the Giants in general, so we should be able to stop them running the ball overall. They'll probably break a big play or two against us anyway - who hasn't so far? However, in my opinion, our poor YPC on defense (5.5, worst in the NFL), is more a reflection of our inconsistency and big plays instead of consistently poor defense, like it was last year.

2. Giants pass offense. This is obviously where we should struggle again. I've been impressed with Drayton Florence's play, but we could certainly use Terrence McGee out there. I think Florence would match up well with Hakeem Nicks, while McGee could cover Manningham or Cruz.

Eli Manning tends to target his top two receivers. Lately those receivers have been Nicks and Cruz, with Manningham taking a bit of a backseat to the slot receiver. Bradshaw is also a very good receiving back, and I wouldn't be surprised to see several screen passes and dump offs to Bradshaw. We have to be able to cover those similar to how we bottled up Jamaal Charles on his receptions.

To me, Eli Manning is one of those guys where the numbers don't tell the whole story. In general, it looks like he's a fairly accurate guy, and he has the ability to throw nice passes. But he tends to act like Fitzpatrick - he'll throw good passes for a stretch, or his receivers will make decent plays, but at some point he'll start throwing some passes that make your head itch.

One name to remember is TE Jake Ballard. He and Travis Beckum have combined to replace Kevin Boss, and while Ballard isn't fast or anything, he did have 3 receptions for 72 yards and a score against Seattle. Have to watch out for that TE, though our D did a good job against Celek.

3. Giants run defense. We may end up having an advantage in this area, especially if Justin Tuck doesn't play. In my opinion, he's an underrated run defender and the Giants REALLY missed him against Seattle.

Overall, the Giants are defending the run decently well, allowing 4.2 YPC. That's generally around average (they're 17th in the NFL). However, if you look at the numbers, you'll see that they did very poorly on defense against Seattle, a team that has NOT ran the ball well at all this year.

Look at Marshawn Lynch's yards per carry for each week this season: 2.5, 1.8, 3.8, 3.0, 8.2. Yes that last number, 8.2, was against the Giants. The Giants have been without Tuck three games this season - Weeks 1, 4, and 5. Week 1, they contained Tim Hightower pretty well, but in Week 4 Beanie Wells ran all over them (27 carries, 138 yards), and in Week 5, Lynch destroyed them with 98 yards on 12 carries.

We can't make conclusions based off of 2 out of 3 games. But it appears the Giants may be susceptible to the run. When they played the Eagles, Lesean McCoy ran very well (24 carries for 128 yards). Their only other game was against the Rams, who ran very poorly, but were missing Steven Jackson - Cadillac Williams ran 13 times for 36 yards.

In general, it appears our run game should be able to do well, though I don't believe we can lean on it nearly as much as we did against Phildelphia.

4. Giants pass defense. This is a very dangerous team with an excellent pass rush. We may be in big trouble if we still have Hairston at LT, because the short passing game was not working nearly as much in the second half against the Eagles. The Giants may take that gameplan and make us try some deep passes, leaving us open to their pass rush.

Their defense has 18 sacks on the year, which is the most in the NFL. They're led by Jason Pierre-Paul (7 sacks) and Osi Umenyiora (3.5). Pierre-Paul has made a big difference at RDE and has ravaged poor OL's in Washington, Seattle, and Philadelphia. The Eagles didn't seem to test our tackles, and blitzed our interior a lot. Buffalo's OL held up well against that blitz, but the Giants will be bringing a ton of edge pressure.

The Giants have decent LB's, but their secondary is a bit questionable - not nearly as good (at least on paper) as Philadelphia's. This is a good game to start going deep if the Giants creep up like Philly did in the 2nd half.

In general, the Giants are allowing 7.6 YPA, comparable to Philadelphia's 7.8 YPA. However, the Giants have allowed only 5 TD passes, and managed to intercept 5 passes. Despite injuries to the secondary early in the season, they seem to have held up pretty well against the pass so far. That being said, they may still be vulnerable, as they haven't faced terribly prolific passers.

It seems to me that if there's a game to bring out the play-action pass, this would be it - though I say that every week now. Still unsure why Gailey doesn't use it more often.

Conclusion
I apologize for the long post, didn't mean to write that much. This is a toss-up game, where I have to go with Vegas and give a slight edge to the Giants at home. This is another game where we should use the run to set up the pass, but less predictability would be good. Our defense should get more stops than normal, but will still give up big plays (Nicks, Manningham and Cruz are all capable).

I have a feeling our run defense will come out of this game looking a little better, though still not that good. I can see a pick or two from Manning, but another 300-yard passer.

This should be a tight game, but may be lower scoring than people expect. Wouldn't be surprised to see the defenses step up on both of our teams this coming weekend.

mysticsoto
10-10-2011, 04:16 PM
V Cruz will kill us in the slot.

Can kill us any more than Wes Walker did...and we still won that game!!!

acehole
10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Can kill us any more than Wes Walker did...and we still won that game!!!

Agree...we cant cover anyone there.

Mindbender
10-10-2011, 04:44 PM

BOO! :refuse:

Oaf
10-10-2011, 05:53 PM
F the Giants. This is going to be a good ol' fashioned dogfight like the matchups from the early and late 90's. I wish they'd wear their throwback helmets.

Meathead
10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
if kyle williams is out and troup doesnt come back that ypc could shoot up in a hurry

TigerJ
10-10-2011, 11:17 PM
I think at this point it's a given that Williams is going to miss the game. As for Troup, who knows at this point if his back is ever going to let him play. If Troup can't go, I think Dareus is going to slide over to the nose quite a bit, and that's going to get Carrington into the game a lot more. That may not be a bad thing.

psubills62
10-11-2011, 08:46 AM
if kyle williams is out and troup doesnt come back that ypc could shoot up in a hurry
It would be unfortunate if neither of them could play.

BillyT92679
10-11-2011, 08:53 AM
the Giants will probably be missing their center and left guard though
so it would be a wash with Kyle out

Ed
10-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I think Mcgee returns this week and that should help a lot if he can cover the slot and move Corner to the bench.

Kyle is listed as questionable, so he's 50/50 right now.

methos4ever
10-11-2011, 10:58 AM
the Giants will probably be missing their center and left guard though
so it would be a wash with Kyle out
And that would lead to an Epic Marcell Dareus highlight Reel at NT....

psubills62
10-14-2011, 10:18 AM
So "te Gia" thread gets multiple pages, but this thread gets mostly ignored? Too much legible reading, perhaps?

Anyway, for those interested, I'll be doing this every week now as a feature for the Bills Zone. Still haven't officially come up with a name for it, but hopefully people will like seeing it. I'll try to make it more manageable in list form, as I know not everyone enjoys reading extensive posts.

trapezeus
10-14-2011, 10:32 AM
non statistically speaking, if the bills can come out and execute their offensive game plan early, it puts pressure on ELi at home. Eli is not peyton. These giants are a bit soft to criticism. SO i think the bills can unravel this giants team quickly if they start out doing their thing.

I like freddie running all day. I also like the bills taking advantage of a depleted secondary. Even with our injuries, i think our spread beats their spread somewhat consistently.

So i think the bills will get their chances to launch the ball down the field a couple times, which of course makes jackson more dangerous as a runner.

I also like that the bills have shown thus far that they are a high study team. they routinely see what has happened in the weeks prior and are ready for the matchups.

I think couglin is also kind of on the verge of running this team into the ground. Nothing spectacular happens, but his personality isn't really matched up well for a team of mostly vets that are tired of the yelling. I think the home crowd is a disadvantage.

justasportsfan
10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
So "te Gia" thread gets multiple pages, but this thread gets mostly ignored? Too much legible reading, perhaps?

no. Most likely because you picked the giants. We homers don't like that.

psubills62
10-14-2011, 10:44 AM
no. Most likely because you picked the giants. We homers don't like that.
If it helps at all, I mostly did it out of superstition. I know I shouldn't believe that stuff makes a difference, but sometimes it's hard not to. The last game I was confident we would win was Cincinnati.

justasportsfan
10-14-2011, 10:52 AM
If it helps at all, I mostly did it out of superstition. I know I shouldn't believe that stuff makes a difference, but sometimes it's hard not to. The last game I was confident we would win was Cincinnati.
good teams dont need superstitions. I'm sure the Pats didn't need any when they dominated the league.

psubills62
10-14-2011, 10:54 AM
good teams dont need superstitions. I'm sure the Pats didn't need any when they dominated the league.
Never said they needed it...I'm the one who needs it.

stuckincincy
10-14-2011, 03:08 PM
It may be another roller coaster ride. Cripes - the D is giving up 421 yards on average...

Buckle in ! :plane:

WarGiants
10-14-2011, 03:20 PM

Conclusion

Impressive. Nice breakdown of my team.

You pretty much have everything downpat, not much for me to add except that to negate our pass rush it'd be wise for Fitz & Co to go no-huddle for a considerable amount of plays.

For some reason we also suck at defending the quick pass (well not for some reason, its because our two best DBs are out and we usually give a lot of cushion to receivers) which is Fitz' bread-and-butter so Bills offense might have waaay more success than some are saying, especially considering the fact that Fitz is a much better QB than freakin' Charlie Whitehurst or Tarvaris Jackson.

That said, we shouldn't lose 2 home games in a row, Fewell (who I've been a huge critic on) should have something up his sleeve seeing as he knows the Bills tendencies, a lot of the Bills personnel, and considering that it is a road game for you guys.

You guys have played awesome so far, but look much better at home obviously, you guys are a little suspect on the road IMO.

To sum it up...it could be a fairly large win by either team or a close nail-biter. I'm leaning towards the latter.