PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly

psubills62
10-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I've seen people mention that if Kelly's backers purchased the Bills, he would have a significant role in running the team.

Is that something people want? I'd be fine if he was in an executive role, but from what I know, former coaches and former players tend to do very poorly when in a position to build a team and identify talent as GM's. I think we need to just look at Marv Levy to confirm that.

Do people want Kelly as someone with the kind of power usually wielded by GM's?

Mr. Miyagi
10-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Whoever the new owner(s) is, better leave things alone with Nix and Gailey. It's working fabulously.

I heart Nix.

justasportsfan
10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
what worries me is Kelly's ego. Hope he doesn't turn into a control freak like DOnahoe .

NIx is doing it right by working with the people he has especially Chan , Whaley etc..He makes sure everyone is on the same page.

I also wonder what will happen to Whaley who seems to be groomed to be the next GM.

Ed
10-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I guess it just depends what his role is. I don't know if I would want him involved in personnel decisions. I live in Denver and I really question if John Elway running the team as GM is really what's best for that organization. But he's John Elway and he's a hero around here, so he can do no wrong.

Also, look at the NBA and jobs Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas have done as executives. They've been terrible.

psubills62
10-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I guess it just depends what his role is. I don't know if I would want him involved in personnel decisions. I live in Denver and I really question if John Elway running the team as GM is really what's best for that organization. But he's John Elway and he's a hero around here, so he can do no wrong.

Also, look at the NBA and jobs Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas have done as executives. They've been terrible.
Exactly...I'd personally love to have Kelly involved in other ways, but I'm very, very hesitant to see him in a position to make personnel decisions. Denver was one place where I thought it was a poor decision to put Elway in control. I'm not a fan of former players/coaches taking charge as GM's.

Skooby
10-11-2011, 10:50 AM
I hope Kelly can work directly with the QB's & train them as to the tricks he used to get better. I also think the Jimbo could help Chan build different variations of his offense that would work out of the current formations.

DraftBoy
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
I've seen people mention that if Kelly's backers purchased the Bills, he would have a significant role in running the team.

Is that something people want? I'd be fine if he was in an executive role, but from what I know, former coaches and former players tend to do very poorly when in a position to build a team and identify talent as GM's. I think we need to just look at Marv Levy to confirm that.

Do people want Kelly as someone with the kind of power usually wielded by GM's?

Not really. Executive and Marketing side sure, but Football Ops, no thanks.

justasportsfan
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
lets not forget, Jim wanted Tebow.

DraftBoy
10-11-2011, 10:55 AM

:shudder:

Ed
10-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Exactly. That's the kind of thing that would worry me. Kelly being so high on someone that he overrules everyone elses better judgement.

psubills62
10-11-2011, 11:08 AM
what worries me is Kelly's ego. Hope he doesn't turn into a control freak like DOnahoe .

NIx is doing it right by working with the people he has especially Chan , Whaley etc..He makes sure everyone is on the same page.

I also wonder what will happen to Whaley who seems to be groomed to be the next GM.
Whaley's situation is also something to consider, indeed. I thought about him too when considering the possibilities. Guy's got a solid pedigree, and as it stands it's hard to remove guys when they're obviously doing a decent job.

Jan Reimers
10-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Jim should be Executive VP, with primary responsibilities for party planning, tailgating and photo ops.

psubills62
10-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Not really. Executive and Marketing side sure, but Football Ops, no thanks.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.